Did Your School Ever Ban The Harry Potter Books?

Captain Karnage

I'm asking this out of curiosity. With all of the talk about J K Rowling, regardless of what you think, I just felt like asking.

As u grew up in the Bible belt, the books were banned, as well as even if you brought one from home the schools would still take them from you.

Edited by Captain Karnage

No, but my best friend probably wanted them banned. She's the reason I never read them...I look back and kinda regret it. But she was into FE and Zelda and other fantasy stuff, Eragon etc. 

The only way I can see that happening is in a private church owned school. In a public school if they tried that it would be considered unconstitutional or something. Even if it was in the bible belt. Public schools arent allowed to be super religious afaik.

Harry Potter was so popular in my elementary school my 4th grade teacher actually organized for the books to be loaned out to kids who couldn't otherwise get their hands on them. Even my super-religious parents who never let me do anything in those days let me read Harry Potter, so it really surprised me when I heard that some schools banned it.

My schools had it so that you could purchase books via Scholastic, and Harry Potter was one of those books that was sold by Scholastic. On top of that, there were a bunch of Potterheads, including myself, in my class. So yeah, banning Harry Potter from being read was one of the things my school did not do.

There was one of my classmates who was pretty religious and didn't like Harry Potter, though. And that's despite him liking The Legend of Zelda, The Lord of the Rings, and Final Fantasy. (The last of which, I got him into. Kinda.) I can't remember if anyone in my Catholic Studies classes was into it or not, though, close friends or otherwise.

Edited by Just call me AL

20 minutes ago, Just call me AL said:

There was one of my classmates who was pretty religious and didn't like Harry Potter, though. And that's despite him liking The Legend of Zelda, The Lord of the Rings, and Final Fantasy. 

That was pretty much my friend. Her beef with it was that included witchcraft and called it that. Zelda was okay because its magic wasn't called "witchcraft". I'm pretty sure that's the case...I haven't brought up Harry Potter to her in years. But things like Eragon had magic in it, only it was called "magic" and "the ancient language". So I assume the highly religious people just don't like anything that falls under the term "witchcraft".

Well I was home schooled, but my dad hates fantasy so the only way I was able to read them was because a family member gave me the books for Christmas and he had to let me read them.  Of course he likes the movies, but me reading the books caused problems for a while.  Harry Potter is what turned me in to the mega reader I am today, so I guess I should thank my dad for hating the books so much because that made me want to read them to start with.

Those books didnt exist when i was in school. I also live in California, so any kind of banning of books was seen as horribly unconstitutional and just not happening. Ive heard of this...weird hostility back in the day about the Harry Potter, in other parts of the US. I never quite got why. Did people think they were evil or something? 

In seventh grade before I moved states my English class novel straight up WAS Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. :P Honestly though, Harry Potter isn't about magic, that's just its setting. It seems strange to me that people would ban it.

5 hours ago, Loki Laufeyson said:

Those books didnt exist when i was in school. I also live in California, so any kind of banning of books was seen as horribly unconstitutional and just not happening. Ive heard of this...weird hostility back in the day about the Harry Potter, in other parts of the US. I never quite got why. Did people think they were evil or something? 

Same here.  However, there would be all sorts of hell raised if any of my schools banned that book, since they were all public schools.

Not that anyone over here would seriously suggest it, since reading Harry Potter beats not reading at all.

I was able to bring my old Harry Potter Books (1-3) to my former middle school. Learning English was encouraged in that school, so the more opportunities, the better, they thought.

Here in Quebec, despite (or maybe in part because of) the our deeply religious history, few people are practicing Christians anymore. Well, people celebrate Christmas, Easter, etc., but it doesn't have any religious meaning anymore, just a traditional excuse to give presents or to party.

Furthermore, the only one of my school friends who was religious was the biggest Harry Potter fan.

Banning Harry Potter books, or even parents forbidding their children to read them, is totally absurd to me, and such thoughts belong in dystopian novels like Fahrenheit 451 or 1984.

I'm from the UK, so I doubt many schools would. I just did a quick search and it was seen as newsworthy when one religious school did. 

The idea of banning books that encourage the imagination so much just... infuriates me, really.