INTRON DEPOT 5 aka new(ish) Shadow Dragon Artwork

Limstella

Hello all~

Technically not "new" but it came out 4 years after Shadow Dragon's release :P

Recently while looking up stuff about the artist for Shadow Dragon, Masamune Shirow, I found an artbook he released 5 years ago that featured some artwork he did for Shadow Dragon. I know the game's known for only having like 8 or so characters getting full artwork, but there are lots of interesting old designs, sketches, etc. 

NOTE: I do not own this book, these are either preview images or screenshots from a flip through video 

The full video can be found here. I'm pretty sure the book is still available at Dark horse (and in English!) There's a lot of text in with the images so it'd be interesting to learn more about it. 

Anyways, just thought it'd be interesting to share!

Spoiler

tumblr_inline_ol6thawIh21twkz3d_500.pngEPXEDV8.jpg

Wax3pvg.png

0sNYms3.png Mm8cfCr.png

animebooks-com_2269_382431556.jpg

Gy3JUFa.png

Edited by Limstella

3 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Thanks for sharing! I think that the art for SD is actually really pretty.

Nyna is particularly beautiful, and I like how her cipher card captured that as well.

Same! I like it a lot as well!

Anyway, can I say that Altena was a surprise to see there? Like, she has no connection to Shadow Dragon or the Akaneia games in general, so her presence was really unexpected for me. That being said, her artwork as a whole looks really cool

Thanks for the share!

For those unaware, the upright Tiki artwork appeared in a Masamune calendar I believe, while the black and white sketch of multiple characters can also be found in the Making of Fire Emblem near the end.

I'm really intrigued to see what the text says and I'd love to get high resolution scans, but I don't have the budget sadly ^^;;;

I saw the preview images that have in the art book that we haven't saw that Nyna has a different colored outfit that is a lot similar to Verconia's from Fire Emblem Heroes, Camus has different poses with his lance, Navarre uses his classic color attire from the SNES game, Miverva has a lance instead of her axe & I see her axe changes the design also, and Tiki is standing.

Also, I just wondered that why is Altena from Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War appears in the artbook since she isn't in Shadow Dragon?

Edit: I did saw the entire video that Merric doesn't have an alternate artwork and I did saw Caeda has an alternate artwork. But, I did actually saw the guy on the video showed the back cover that have the actual Dark Horse logo on it that the developers from Dark Horse possibly didn't realize that they didn't used all the localized names from the actual game and kept the official NOJ names in the localized artbook.

Edited by King Marth 64

It's difficult for me to make out the full text, but what I think I see is that Shirow says the Altena art wasn't done for Shadow Dragon, but it was done for NTT Publishing in 2003. I'm not sure what Fire Emblem material they could be referring to though, they don't specify it. Maybe it never released? Could explain why they took the opportunity to share it in this book if it was never going to be shared otherwise.

19 minutes ago, Prince of Iris said:

It's difficult for me to make out the full text, but what I think I see is that Shirow says the Altena art wasn't done for Shadow Dragon, but it was done for NTT Publishing in 2003. I'm not sure what Fire Emblem material they could be referring to though, they don't specify it. Maybe it never released? Could explain why they took the opportunity to share it in this book if it was never going to be shared otherwise.

Good catch.

Yeah, I can't think of anything either.

Closest thing I can think of is the old FETCG. 2003 would have been when Jugdral Anthology came out, which featured guest artists such as Yusuke Kozaki. However I don't remember there being an Altena card; maybe Shirow Masamune didn't make the cut?

Okay, this is the best I can get out of the text:

This drawing was not part of the game package cover art project, but was something I had done several years earlier, in 2003, for NTT Publishing. I think the general concept behind that particular undertaking was: "Fire Emblem characters drawn by a whole bunch of artists." This character, named Althena [Altena], shows up in Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu [Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War in the U.S.]. The existence of this work may have actually led eventually to my being contacted for the Fire Emblem DS project (but there's no way for me to know the real story behind that decision).

16 minutes ago, Prince of Iris said:

Okay, this is the best I can get out of the text:

Thanks for the transcript! I should try getting better screencaps and do a few myself :P