WarGroove

Zera

The world hungers for Advance Wars. That includes me. So developer Chucklefish has taken up the mantle.
https://www.destructoid.com/advance-wars-fans-need-to-keep-an-eye-on-wargroove-421493.phtml
It's gonna be on the Switch, of course. My only concern is that I didn't see any battle previews.

Edited by Zera

@Dai By "battle previews", I mean "seeing how much damage you'll deal BEFORE declaring the attack". Battle previews are the main reason you don't have to memorize the damage chart to play Advance Wars. In other words, they make the game playable. On my 10-point rating scale, the game would lose at least 2 or 3 points just for not having them. Of course, it would be even better if previews also showed what the enemy's counter attack will do like in Fire Emblem.

Looks a tad cheap, and I'd prefer an actual new Advance Wars, but for the right price I'll buy it.

The apparent absence of battle previews is a major problem and a day one update to include them would be a sine qua non for anyone interested in it. And what is with what appears to be units attacking properties? Is that the new capture or something?

Hopefully this game could try making naval battles cheaper or more exciting than what Advance Wars has been doing. I mean naval fights, and FoW battles, have certainly improved over the games, but they still need a little more work. I saw an amphibious unit in the video- that might help.

I'm not an online gaming person, but given a robust player-designed-maps upload feature and plenty of save slots for design maps, I could possibly be led into paying for it. Then again, people could just snapshot their map designs and post them on the Web for free.

It looks great so far! I love the pixel art on the map and battle screens, and the music sounds pretty good! The fantasy aesthetic is also nice.

However, my biggest complaint are the character designs (seen at 0:35 on the video). Everything else looks so good, but the characters are not doing it for me. I would like a new Advance Wars and this is the closest we will get to one (save for that Tiny Metal game). Another thing that I am indifferent to is the addition of "Florans" or something similar from Starbound. I know Chucklefish made Starbound, but I had a poor initial experience with Starbound making me hesitant to try something else from the company.

As for Tiny Metal, the other "Advance Wars" type game, it failed its Kickstarter. I'm personally not that surprised as I did not care much for the prototype, but reading one of their recent news posts gives me some hope that they may eventually make a decent game out of it.

This game certainly grabbed my attention, and it's pretty cool that the player can make their own maps. If I ever get a Switch, I'll definitely have to give this a go. (Maybe I'll try out Advance Wars in the meantime, since this trailer has made me interested in that.)

Of all the Indies Game announced by Nintendo this is the one that I'm really wanting to give it a shot.

I mean, a lot of indies game seem really cool but Wargroove. An Heroic Fantasy AW? I'm most likely sold.