What reason is there to play the first three games?

Jotari

So since the first three games all now have (or shortly will have) remakes, what reason (if indeed any) is there to back and play the original titles? What experiences do they provide that the remakes didn't or couldn't?

Sticking this here rather than the NES and SNES forum due to the comparison to the remakes it's going to bring up.

For the retro-flavor appeal, and I imagine for a lot of Japanese gamers, at least, for nostalgia's sake. It's the same reason people go back and play the original (for example) Castlevania, despite it being inferior in every way to Super Castlevania IV. Those games have a lot of outdated and strange mechanics, but that's part of the appeal of revisitation.

It is kind of fun to play it in an ironic way, with the goofy-looking unit portraits and copies of the same portrait reused over and over because of limitations.

Also, you can experience the amazing pantsless Marth. What's not to love about that?

Edited by Extrasolar

As far as FE1 is concerned, no reason to play it when FE11 and FE3 Book 1 exist beyond novelties sake

Can't really say for FE2 yet as Echoes has yet to release, but FE3, well look at my favorite FE. FE3 is my favorite FE, but FE12 is my least favorite. I played FE12 before I played FE3,and liked it my first run, but I honestly can't stand to play FE12 anymore now that I've played FE3. With the exception of Wrys' return, I hate almost all of the changes made in 12 compared to OG FE3. All of the gameplay changes made a very experimental FE with many fun ideas I wish would return, into a generic standard FE which makes the game more boring to me overall, and I could write a legitimate novel on all the hatred FE12's story changes to FE3's bring me. Sure Kris is a big part of my despise of 12, but was there ANY reason to bring back the ENTIRETY of the Wolfguard?

fe3 is almost a completely different game from fe12

fe12 is also a better game, but it's still an entirely different experience

gaiden's remake looks like it'll be really faithful to the original, but you'd have to wait until it comes out to know what differences there might be. the original is fairly enjoyable though, so there'll probably be some reason to play it

fe1 is the only one out of the three where there's pretty much no reason to play it. shadow dragon improves pretty much every aspect of it while keeping most of it intact.  

I'm currently playing all the FE games, and since I am going in order I have to play FE 1-3. If it weren't for my challenge I would never touch FE1 and after beating it I won't play it again. 

52 minutes ago, MCProductions said:

As far as FE1 is concerned, no reason to play it when FE11 and FE3 Book 1 exist beyond novelties sake

Can't really say for FE2 yet as Echoes has yet to release, but FE3, well look at my favorite FE. FE3 is my favorite FE, but FE12 is my least favorite. I played FE12 before I played FE3,and liked it my first run, but I honestly can't stand to play FE12 anymore now that I've played FE3. With the exception of Wrys' return, I hate almost all of the changes made in 12 compared to OG FE3. All of the gameplay changes made a very experimental FE with many fun ideas I wish would return, into a generic standard FE which makes the game more boring to me overall, and I could write a legitimate novel on all the hatred FE12's story changes to FE3's bring me. Sure Kris is a big part of my despise of 12, but was there ANY reason to bring back the ENTIRETY of the Wolfguard?

I think you're going to have to explain yourself a bit more. You've mentioned changes but not what they actually are outside of Kris and the Wolfguard.

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I think you're going to have to explain yourself a bit more. You've mentioned changes but not what they actually are outside of Kris and the Wolfguard.

Dragonstone mechanics, Dismount, Anri's Way being more tolerable in 3 because magic pokemoned on dragons. All of these things are NOT present in 12, and these are off the top of my head.