Whatever happened to Ludvick?

Jotari

So Ludvick, the King of Gra. He never directly makes an appearance in Shadow Dragon (wait, is he the only king who doesn't?) and then in Mystery of the Emblem he's dead and his kids are on the run. So...how did he die? Did Lang kill him? Would be in character for him but you think that'd be mentioned at some point. It seems in Mystery of the Emblem Gra is under complete martial law by Archanea. So did he get a cold or something and die in the intervening years? Or...is it possible, that maybe, just maybe, Marth's army killed him when they seized Gra and the game just decided not to tell us in order to portray our heroes in a more positive light?

Er, Jiol is the King of Gra and you fight him in Chapter 14 of Shadow Dragon. He's also in the prologue.

Edited by Irysa

Yeah, Ludwik's the King of Grust, not Gra.

His character is introduced in FE3, where it's pretty heavily implied that he died of illness in or shortly after the War of Shadows.
The world map narration of book 1 chapter 16 says "he fell dangerously ill" and I'm pretty sure that's the last time he's mentioned in the game. 

31 minutes ago, Irysa said:

Er, Jiol is the King of Gra and you fight him in Chapter 14 of Shadow Dragon. He's also in the prologue.

Gah. I meant Grust.

13 minutes ago, Hattusili I said:

Yeah, Ludwik's the King of Grust, not Gra.

His character is introduced in FE3, where it's pretty heavily implied that he died of illness in or shortly after the War of Shadows.
The world map narration of book 1 chapter 16 says "he fell dangerously ill" and I'm pretty sure that's the last time he's mentioned in the game. 

Oh so it was illness. Well that's boring :/ Case closed I guess. Was hoping I could indite Marth for some offscreen regicide.

Marth killing Ludvick wouldn't be that much of a mark against him. Ludvick is an enemy king same as Jiol is and you could argue he's even worse of a guy. Being a coward doesn't really justify allying with a dragon out to take over the world and it certainly doesn't make selling your preteen children to an insane dark mage any less despicable. 

I wonder why Grust is being terrorized in particular by Hardin. Gra and Macedon both got returned to their royal families without occupation and there's no mention of any punishment for Dolhr that was the leader of the evil nations. 

20 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Marth killing Ludvick wouldn't be that much of a mark against him. Ludvick is an enemy king same as Jiol is and you could argue he's even worse of a guy. Being a coward doesn't really justify allying with a dragon out to take over the world and it certainly doesn't make selling your preteen children to an insane dark mage any less despicable. 

I wonder why Grust is being terrorized in particular by Hardin. Gra and Macedon both got returned to their royal families without occupation and there's no mention of any punishment for Dolhr that was the leader of the evil nations. 

Yeah, and if I remember my geography, Grst is kind of out of the way from Archanea being regulated to the far west of the continent,

Also, given what position he was in, what he did to his own children and his overall personality, I think that it is safe to say that the illness was induced by stress and what not.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Oh, missed that first point. I think it is slightly different to sack a castle and execute the king after capturing him as a prisoner. As opposed to fighting the on a field of battle when they're defending themselves. At least by our modern view. By the standards of Marth's society it's probably just as acceptable to lop off his head.

3 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I should mention Ludwick does make an appearance in the manga:

Louie  

an old man he is.

And yet his children are quite young.

2 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Who said his concubine was his age? Just sayin'.

Less that and more you'd expect a king to have sired some heirs long before he starts wrinkling up.

Grust is pretty damn forgettable (at least compared to your faction nations and the main enemy nations Gra and Dolhr. Macedon is... kind of both?). I didn't even know what you were talking about at first. I'm willing to bet the writers didn't even think of this and threw in "oh yeah he died of illness" at a later point.

8 hours ago, Darros said:

Grust is pretty damn forgettable (at least compared to your faction nations and the main enemy nations Gra and Dolhr. Macedon is... kind of both?). I didn't even know what you were talking about at first. I'm willing to bet the writers didn't even think of this and threw in "oh yeah he died of illness" at a later point.

I'd disagree. Grust is hyped to have the most military might during the game. They're the ones who actually conquered Archanea and generally when they show up on maps it comes with an increased level of stats. They're also the ones that even managed to put Marth on the defensive and retreat in terms of plot when he's forced to travel to that one island with a dragon king (which you'd think would be a more important place in terms of lore but it's basically never mentioned again). While Gra is generally depicted as a rather small and less powerful kingdom with it's noteworthiness only coming from the betrayal and close relationship it had with Altea.

Edited by Jotari

On 3/2/2017 at 8:52 PM, Jotari said:

I'd disagree. Grust is hyped to have the most military might during the game. They're the ones who actually conquered Archanea and generally when they show up on maps it comes with an increased level of stats. They're also the ones that even managed to put Marth on the defensive and retreat in terms of plot when he's forced to travel to that one island with a dragon king (which you'd think would be a more important place in terms of lore but it's basically never mentioned again). While Gra is generally depicted as a rather small and less powerful kingdom with it's noteworthiness only coming from the betrayal and close relationship it had with Altea.

Don't forget that Mr. Sable Order/Black Knight Camus himself is the leader of this army. The chapter where you finally fight him is both a huge pain and a great joy to play.