What are the Best and Worst units in Conquest

FleetofFeet

Hey, I would like to know the best units and what units to stay away from in Fire Emblem Conquest. Just leave your opinions and all your answers are appreciated.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of them can be made viable, but of course some units are better than others.

First of all, the siblings are all very powerful. Leo might actually be the weakest one because he doesn't excel in any one stat aside from Magic and Resistance, so he can have a hard time hitting and doubling, but he's still very useful, especially for tanking enemy mages.

Effie is ridiculously good and I don't know how I would beat Conquest without her. If there's any non-sibling character I recommend, it's her.

Niles is another great mage killer, and the bow comes in handy all throughout the campaign.

Ophelia and Velouria, especially if their mothers are a good magical/physical character respectively, are two children who are incredibly useful from the get-go

As for the ones you should stay away from, I believe people usually bring up Nyx, Arthur and Peri, though I've never used them, so I can't confirm that.

Xander is great at taking out anything that doesn't use magic. As soon as a mage so much as breathes on him, he's pretty finished. Try to get the drop on mages first, since he'll have little problem one-shotting them with their low defense, but mages in turn will two-shot him to death if you let him be attacked first.

Leo is well-rounded. He won't really shine, but he also won't struggle at any point. The skill he learns as a dark knight, which heals him after a kill, is very useful as well.

Effie is indeed one of the best units on Conquest. It's at the point where I think she's nearly mandatory to use if you want to get through, unless you're going for a self-imposed challenge run or something. She'll be tanking everything and more often than not one-round killing it.

Keaton is a great asset, simply due to his great physical bulk and strength. Though he's got a weakness to mages, and can be worn down by the likes of ninja with the poison ability, he's more than strong enough to hold his own against most enemies, if not one-round killing them as well. Not to mention, he gets one of the best skills in the game after he promotes, which heals a large portion of his HP at the beginning of every odd-numbered turn.

Niles is indeed very useful early game, as he's one of the very few bow users you get by default on the Conquest route. Just a warning: Niles will fall off as a pure damage dealer roughly midway through the game, as his strength growth is lacking. He'll be fast enough to double everything, but as enemies start packing on the defense, he'll struggle at killing them. He always makes a great mage killer though, due to his high resistance and the low defense of mages. Promote him to Adventurer and he'll always be useful as a healer.

Shura works better as a pure damage-dealer due to his extremely high crit chance, the fact that he comes default with a killer bow...but like all Adventurers, his pure strength isn't all that great.

Ophelia can turn out great; I personally paired Odin with Selena, and got an Ophelia with both high speed and crit chance.

Laslow turns out well, as a Mercenary, though he's a little bit fragile early on. Once he gets levels on him, he'll be packing great strength, good defense and high HP, making him a good unit. He also gets a skill that has a chance of healing his HP at the beginning of each turn.

Odin is a bit wonky to use as well, simply because of his strange growths. He tends to turn out mediocre more than anything, but it's not like he's completely useless. He just may not be worth the effort to train up.

Arthur's terrible luck makes him a liability in the later game, when enemies have higher chances to crit. So he's all together not worth your time, unless you grind marriage support on him, get his son Percy, and keep them paired up forever (Percy has a skill which more or less negates enemy crit chance).

Edited by Extrasolar

• Xander is absurdly good, as was already outlined. He's going to be taking 0 damage from a lot of physical attackers even into the endgame. He has trouble with enemy magic users, but he can kill them easily if he gets the first hit.
  • Camilla's basically a goddess. She joins early and has absurdly good stats. Of course, as a flyer, she has to watch out for enemy bows.
  • Elise is a valuable healer early on, but her true power shines once she promotes to Strategist. All of a sudden she'll go from "weaponless healer who can survive a magic hit but is otherwise fragile" to "OHKOs everything with even a weak magic tome, and is completely immune to enemy mages."
  • Leo's probably the worst of the royal siblings, but being the worst of the best is still really good. He's got good bulk and hits pretty hard, and his personal tome is really good, but he's slow, so he won't double very often, and he's just weak enough to miss out on some important OHKOs.
  • Azura is invaluable, perhaps moreso than in the other routes.
  • Your servants Jakob and Felicia vary depending on which gender you choose. Playing as a female Corrin means you start with Jakob, who is really frikkin' good and will be dishing out damage just as well as he heals it. Playing as a male Corrin starts you with Felicia, who is... weak. That is, until you get a magic-based Shuriken, at which point she becomes about as good as Jakob. Whichever servant you DON'T start with joins too late to really be useful. Both are good at tanking magic hits, and are some of the few Shuriken users, which gives them a niche.
  • Mozu is your trainee unit. If you babysit her she becomes really powerful, but it's not always worth the investment in my experience. If you have the Route Bonuses, using a Dread Scroll on her early on can make her a monster, though.
  • Kaze is one of your few Shuriken users, so that alone makes him quite valuable, along with his Locktouch skill. If you decide to use Niles the latter won't mean much, but it never hurts to have two. His low Strength is gonna become pretty noticeable when he's dealing 1-2 damage to enemies later on, but the debuffs are invaluable.
  • Silas is pretty solid, but he's kinda inferior to Xander. There's nothing wrong with having TWO Paladins, of course.
  • Peri, on the other hand, is inferior to both Silas and Xander and is just plain mediocre. I'd recommend avoiding her, personally.
  • Laslow is a mercenary and therefore solid all-around. He prefers to promote to Hero.
  • Selena, on the other hand, prefers Bow Knight. They're both solid mercs, the most notable difference being that Selena joins earlier.
  • Beruka might seem inferior to Camilla, and the fact that they join in the same chapter really does her no favors, but if you stick with her she really grows out of her liege's shadow, unlike Peri. Her solid Defense makes her a good Wyvern Lord tank, and her high Skill leads to some good crits.
  • Odin is somewhat mediocre. His middling stats do him no favor. If you do decide to keep him, giving him the Excalibur tome you acquire in Chapter 26 makes him absurdly powerful for the endgame, but good luck GETTING him to Chapter 26.
  • Niles is really good. He's one of your few bow users, so that gives him a niche by default. He's also got the Capture skill if you want to mess with that (and there's one unit you should definitely consider capturing). He's also a good anti-mage unit thanks to his high Res. His biggest drawback is that he's got low Strength, but like Felicia the moment he acquires a magic weapon he becomes solid and never needs an upgrade. He prefers to promote to Adventurer.
  • Arthur is really useful early on, scoring critical hits and dishing out solid damage while tanking hits. Later on, though, he becomes an enemy crit magnet. If you decide to use him, once you get to lategame he'll probably want to fall back and be more of a support unit or even just a backpack for his wife, whoever that may be.
  • Effie is a goddess. Make her a General to maximize her tankiness.
  • Benny is stuck in Effie's shadow (at least in Conquest; in Revelation it's the other way around). He's got better defenses than her, but lower Strength. The real problem isn't that, though; it's that he joins much later than her.
  • Charlotte is weak when she joins; she won't deal much damage, she'll miss often, and she'll die to a stiff breeze. The moment she promotes to Berserker, though, throw all that shit out; she'll score critical hits left and right. She'll still be a little fragile and inaccurate, but she'll be killing so many things in one hit that it won't matter if she misses here and there.
  • Keaton is pretty good. He's a very defensive unit, but his Beastbane skill makes him a great anti-cavalry unit too.
  • Nyx is bad. Don't use her.
  • Shura is decent, but joins pretty late and by that point Niles is probably everything Shura could ever hope to be. Use him if you forsook Niles, but otherwise don't bother.
  • Flora also joins late, but has pretty solid stats. If you ditched Jakob or Felicia, she can make for a good lategame replacement for them.
  • Izana's a neat mage, but I never used him so I can't really offer a fair assessment.
  • Gunter is interesting. He's got the shittiest growths ever and joins late, but he has high enough starting stats that he won't NEED much level investment to remain useful into the endgame. He's very slow and tends to get doubled, but two times zero is still zero; he's got defenses rivalling Xander and the knights. He doesn't hit as hard as them, though, so his main utility will be using his high movement to get around the battlefield blocking fragile units from getting hit or using the Shelter command to rescue them.
  • Most of the children units are just mini-mes of their father. The only real ones that diverge are Leo's son Forrest, who is more like a second Elise than a second Leo, Kaze's daughter Midori, who is the unusual Apothecary class (not very good, but workable and gives you another bow user), and Arthur's son Percy, who is a Wyvern Rider and thus has to compete with Camilla and Beruka.
  • Anyway, those are all the NORMAL units, but there's one more guy who we can't discuss Conquest without mentioning; my snazzy avatar, Haitaka. The boss of Chapter 9, he can be Captured by Niles and made to join your army. He has no personal skill or supports, but his Rally Defense skill is immediately useful (especially if you can persuade him in time for Chapter 10), and he's a really interesting class. He also has astonishingly good growths for a capturable boss, so he can actually cut a swath through enemy forces once he gets some level-ups under his belt. He singlehandedly carried my last Conquest run and I highly recommend him, and not just for the memetic value; he's better than many of the normal units.
Edited by Anomalocaris

5 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:
  • Izana's a neat mage, but I never used him so I can't really offer a fair assessment.

Izana's pretty great. He's got high magic, decent speed, and decent enough defenses that he don't have to worry about him dying in a single hit to a physical unit if he's attacked. He's got a decently high skill growth, meaning he'll be critically-hitting fairly often. His growths in general are fairly high, and he averages roughly 4 to 5 stats increasing per level. He also offers utility as an Onmyoji with his ability to use staves.

He's much better than awful Nyx and mediocre Odin. Much, much better, though of course he lacks Leo's mobility.

I must be the only one here who loves using Odin. He's great if you stick a Nyx pairup on him and even moreso if you promote her to either Sorceror or Dark Knight (the latter boosting his defence and movement). Give him a Nosferatu tome, feed him some Spirit Dusts (no one else needs them except Corrin) and Nosferatu will carry him through most of the earlygame. Recruit his daughter and replace him with her, or just use both. Reclass him to your heart's content as he has so many options via his A+ supports. The list goes on. Sorcerors kind of get shafted by the prominence of shuriken users later in the game, so he'll need Calamity Gate to be useful later, which you can only get by recruiting Ophelia.

As far as the worst units in Conquest... Arthur and Charlotte take that hands down. The former is ridiculously risky to use, thanks to his godawful luck (and I mean he has Really. Bad. Luck.), which isn't helped by his personal skill, and the latter couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if her life depended on it, and since she's rather fragile, it does (especially as a Berserker, which is innately vulnerable to critical hits). For the best units, the royals are up there, as is Effie.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I feel like I can second a lot of what has already been said.

For favorite units, I tend to gravitate towards Niles, Elise, Effie, and Charlotte. Niles is a great mage killer. I tend to promote him to bow knight because his magic never quite reaches significant enough levels...but I've paired him up with a magic user in the past, and that makes Nina a pretty great Adventurer. Elise is just a great healer all around, and once you give her tomes she DESTROYS stuff. You can even reclass her to a different class, throw a magical weapon in her hand, and still destroy. Effie is just a tank all around. She's the first armored knight character that I've used that I really, really like. (I tend to stay away from units with low movement.) Charlotte took some love because I tend not to like Fighter classes. Her RES and DEF are both pretty low, so it's hard to take a hit, but if you stick a killer axe in her hands, she can kill just about anything. Keeping her behind a unit that can take hits is a great way to clear a map because more often than not, her crit will trigger and finish off the enemy.

I stayed away from Arthur for a while just because I always had awful luck with him. But on my last playthrough, I actually got pretty lucky, and he turned into a pretty great Hero. ...however, there are so many characters in Conquest that have potential to be heroes that it seems like a useless effort to try. (But his son is precious.) I've also never been a big fan of Jakob or Felicia. The "Live to Serve" skill is FABULOUS for a healer. (So why not slap it on someone like Elise or Forrest?) And the effects of daggers are always good...but in Conquest, it's not fun to have to babysit your squishier characters. However, I've still had some good runs with both of them. At the risk of sounding hypocritical...I actually do use Odin mostly because I love him as a character. I prefer to reclass him to samurai/swordmaster simply because I think it fits him better. I kind of struggled with Mozu at first as well. In Birthright, it was easier to keep her as a melee class, but in Conquest, I found that making her a sniper made her a more valuable character.

The only character I've never had luck with is Nyx. Her MAG seems to be the only stat that ever gets high... I once got her to level 20, and all of her stats were below 10 except for her MAG. But I've seen some people get lucky with her. Really, everything is hit or miss, and there are basically limitless possibilities for reclassing and whatnot, so it's really fun to experiment!

From where I'm standing, it's pretty much Ninja!Corrin, Paladin!Jakob 1, Camilla, Xander, Azura, Elise, Kaze, and Niles followed by literally everyone else. Silas gets an honorary mention, but it really depends on how his growths are feeling on that particular day if you want him long term. That personal skill of his is really, really good though, especially early on.

Edited by Deltre

49 minutes ago, Deltre said:

From where I'm standing, it's pretty much Ninja!Corrin, Paladin!Jakob 1, Camilla, Xander, Azura, Elise, Kaze, and Niles followed by literally everyone else. Silas gets an honorary mention, but it really depends on how his growths are feeling on that particular day if you want him long term. That personal skill of his is really, really good though, especially early on.

I kinda disagree on Silas's personal - I find it hard to get any real mileage out of when far more often than not, I want Corrin healthy and in the thick of the action.

I still do not get Jakobdin and Ninja Corn. Tonics are very cheap.

Edit: Odin is an early male, Odin is good.

Edit again: VoF is legit overpowered.

Edited by joshcja

1 minute ago, joshcja said:

Edit: Odin is an early male, Odin is good.

Highly disagree. Odin's growths are strange, and most of the time he tends to turn out mediocre. Leo, Izana, and even his own daughter are far better in the mage department than him. Even if reclassed to a physical unit, he never really...does much. Not worth it to train, imo.

Granted, he's one of only two mages you get in the early game...so it's not like he has all that much competition. But if you train him, prepare for disappointment. At least he can be paired off to get Ophelia.

3 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Highly disagree. Odin's growths are strange, and most of the time he tends to turn out mediocre. Leo, Izana, and even his own daughter are far better in the mage department than him. Even if reclassed to a physical unit, he never really...does much. Not worth it to train, imo.

Granted, he's one of only two mages you get in the early game...so it's not like he has all that much competition. But if you train him, prepare for disappointment. At least he can be paired off to get Ophelia.

I am not spending another thread on Odin strats, but it's openly known that Odin is the cheese mode unit of CQ Lunatic.

He starts soloing maps around Ch9.

Edited by joshcja

Just now, joshcja said:

I am not spending another thread on Odin strats, but it's openly known that Odin is the cheese mode unit for CQ Lunatic.

Okay? Not sure how accurate that statement is, but this thread is asking for general unit advice on Conquest. And without your self-admitted cheesy strats, Odin doesn't do much. Thus, he's not a good unit.

Soloing maps is a pretty lame contribution.

Edit: Nyx has a very small niche in early promo dark knight for pairup and unrigged efficiency play.

Edited by joshcja

1 minute ago, joshcja said:

Soloing maps is a pretty lame contribution.

So I noticed that you never explained these cheese strats. How exactly do you accomplish this? Or is too convoluted to explain easily?

Why does Odin turn out mediocre for everyone else?

9 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

So I noticed that you never explained these cheese strats. How exactly do you accomplish this? Or is too convoluted to explain easily?

Why does Odin turn out mediocre for everyone else?

I have explained this literally hundreds of times over the past year, and someone else in this very thread posted a "close enough" version.

You have a strange definition of everyone else.

Edited by joshcja

Just now, joshcja said:

I have explained this literally hundreds of times over the past year and someone else in this very thread posted a "close enough" version.

You have a strange definition of everyone else.

So it is convoluted, then, to the point that you don't want to take the time to explain it. So what you're saying is you have to go out of your way to make him any good/usable. That's not the mark of a good unit, I'm afraid.

You can make literally every unit in this game "good" or usable with item investment, messing with reclassing, and whatnot, but there are plenty of units that you don't have to mess with any of that stuff for them to be useful. Those are the good units, and Odin isn't one of them.

And most of the people posting in the thread have said the same about Odin, that he tends to be mediocre. This is a topic asking for general information on good/bad units, rather than "what units can be good/usable with investment of items, messing with reclassing, and such."

14 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

So it is convoluted, then, to the point that you don't want to take the time to explain it. 

Yeah it's a super long in depth strat.

3 hours ago, Agro said:

Give him a Nosferatu tome

Nvm there we go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the posts in this thread are flagrantly wrong or are simply misinformed. Some dude was hyping Keaton ffs.

Edited by joshcja

Camilla, Xander, Azura, and the first servant (particularly if it's Jakob) stand out as the most useful units (along with Corrin).

Nobody is that bad and almost anyone can be useful under certain circumstances; even mediocre units like Odin, Benny, Charlotte, and Mozu have some payoff if you invest in them. Nyx and Laslow feel like they struggle a bit even compared to that group, same with Flora... but I can find good things to say about all of them if pressed, unlike the Sophias of yesteryear.

The weakest units are Nyx and Odin, like many others said. I'll also add Mozu, while she can turn out really good, in a route like Conquest where there is limited experience, it's just not worth it to dump that much experience on one character. Shura is not that great either, his stats here are weakest out of the three routes.

For some good ones, the royals and Niles are obvious. I'll add Kaze, he's more useful here than in the other paths as speedy units are uncommon in Conquest, and Keaton, an all-around good unit - good Defense, good Strength, Speed that's good enough to prevent doubling, etc. He's also a good anti-cavalry unit.

18 minutes ago, Bandido Banderas said:

The weakest units are Nyx and Odin, like many others said. I'll also add Mozu, while she can turn out really good, in a route like Conquest where there is limited experience, it's just not worth it to dump that much experience on one character. Shura is not that great either, his stats here are weakest out of the three routes.

For some good ones, the royals and Niles are obvious. I'll add Kaze, he's more useful here than in the other paths as speedy units are uncommon in Conquest, and Keaton, an all-around good unit - good Defense, good Strength, Speed that's good enough to prevent doubling, etc. He's also a good anti-cavalry unit.

I just can't get behind Kaze in Conquest. He just gets far too strength-screwed, to the point that he'll be lucky to deal 2 damage to something, and the few points of debuff falls off too much in lategame for me. Funny enough, I find him much more useful on Birthright.

EDIT: @joshcja Misinformed? Wrong? Uh...You realize how arrogant you sound right now, right? Just so you know, if most people are pointing something out (in this case, Odin being mediocre), the majority is probably the more accurate one, whereas you're trying to argue a niche opinion. Just saying.

And Keaton is an objectively useful/good unit. You don't need to invest items or reclass him for him to be useful, unlike Odin. And I've given Odin a Nosferatu tome and used him. Still pretty mediocre, but mediocre with a heal, I guess.

Edited by Extrasolar

1 hour ago, Extrasolar said:

EDIT: @joshcja Misinformed? Wrong? Uh...You realize how arrogant you sound right now, right? Just so you know, if most people are pointing something out (in this case, Odin being mediocre), the majority is probably the more accurate one, whereas you're trying to argue a niche opinion. Just saying.

More people agreeing means more people agreeing, it has nothing to do with the correctness of an opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keaton lacks every single positive aspect you could ever want in a unit aside from stats. His stats are lower than every other unit at the time of his join. Keaton is bar none the worst unit in CQ. Calling Keaton anything above absolute dogshit is completely inaccurate.

Odin has every positive quality you could ever want in a unit outside of base stats. His stats at Leo's join are comparable to Leo in most games. If you want to call Odin mediocre in "your" play... frankly if you're playing below lunatic he can be. Calling him bad is strictly inaccurate, even if he never see's combat because fickifIknowwhy Odin contributes an enormous amount via his S/A+/Kid supports handing out the best EP skillset in the game.