What are the best options for making an original SRPG?

Armaada J

One of my lifelong goals is to make my own SRPG. Now that I'm majoring in CS and actually have a few years of programming experience I feel that now is finally the time for me to begin learning how to make a game. I've been looking at the Unity 3D engine but I'm not sure if it's my best option. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Well I don't know the game making process itself (haven't had much time to study stuff I was given for it). 

But in terms of an SRPG you need to figure out what kind of SRPG it is, and how it'll stand out, FE, Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ogre Battle, Valkyria Chronicles all for instance fall under SRPG, but they have VERY different ways they play. 

Something you'll need to figure out is, are you going to emulate one of these or one of the many others, or are you going to try mix and matching? Or trying something wholly different (not the easiest in this day and age but still possible).

Sorry if this isn't helpful haha. I just want to see where you stand on a concept basis right now.

No your comment is definitely helpful. I do plan on playing Ogre Tactice and FF Tactics since up till now the only SRPGs I've played are FE, Advance Wars, and Yggdra Union(that last one only briefly tbh). I figure seeing many types of games will help me on the concept front.

40 minutes ago, Forged Thoron said:

No your comment is definitely helpful. I do plan on playing Ogre Tactice and FF Tactics since up till now the only SRPGs I've played are FE, Advance Wars, and Yggdra Union(that last one only briefly tbh). I figure seeing many types of games will help me on the concept front.

Advance Wars isn't a Strategy Role-Playing Game. It's just a strategy game. I  would still play it, though, just for some of its unique ideas.

I'm guessing you are talking more on the lines of what programs and programming language/s to use, which is something I wonder too. For now I think there isn't a best choice for SRPGs in particular, mostly because they tend to be pretty simple, mechanically. You should choose mainly based on what you already know and if you want to use 3d models or just sprites. I suggest a flash game would be a good way to start, look at how to make those.

I highly recomend watching this vidio: Essentially it and the other vidios in the series say not to start with your big projects. Do small, throw away ones first to teach yourself your chosen tools. Don't do anything outside of your reach. For example, art consisting entierly of colored squares works for your first few projects while you get the coding down. When you make a new game, start with the smallest amount of content possible to make sure it works well, then add stuff (like one map with one character, and one enemy).

I recommend playing stratagy board games/wargames. (like axis and allies, or some of those historic simulation games you find in specialty shops, or even chess.) The reason for this is that boardgame rules are all explicitly stated (as opposed to video game rules, which work behind the scenes). As such, it is much easier to see how the rules interact. It is also easier to see rules that exist to prevent overpowered strategies (like en pasant in chess) or even unwinnable situations, (like any of chess's "automatic draw" rules, or the Ko rule in Go).