Character Interactions: Expectations and Wishes

With this game we'll be seeing FE characters from across the games interacting with each other, something that really hasn't happened in other games. Now, what specific character interactions do you predict are going to happen in the game, and what interactions have you been fantasizing about?

For myself, I have a whole "evil kings clash" thing going on in my head.

*Ashnard's roaming army of marauders attack Zephiel's armies*

Ashnard: Ha ha ha! What a wonderful world we've ended up in, one where warriors alone rule! Might is right, that is right!

Zephiel: This brute, this is a prime example of human nature. Humanity's end cannot come soon enough. I must with all haste bring forth the rule of dragons in this world as I was trying to in Elibe!

Ashnard: You would have humanity commit suicide and institute a stagnant order? How absurd! You don't deserve those armies i see arrayed before me.

*Suddenly another armies intrudes on the battlefield*

Walhart: You're both wrong! This world needs law and order. But it must be a human one. And the only one capable of completing this task is ME!

*In the distant skies*

Travant: *Sigh* Look at them, fighting over their heady ideas and making them a reality. All I want, even in this world so vast, is to have all of Thracia be securely mine. Shall I ally with one of them? It'd be gamble. Let me mull it over with my son first.

Add Yuan trying to convince Ashera to work with him, Travant befriending Naesala, and Nergal betraying Zephiel (to whom he promised to open the Dragon's Gate) for Ashnard.

I have no idea about the plot or what it might be but these are all grade A++ ideas IMO. Villains interacting and clashing is always a good scene haha.

Edited by BANRYU

Coming off of the Warriors Orochi series, I expect to see some pretty unconventional but intriguing, quirky, humorous and touching conversations between the most unlikeliest of characters.

• Shura and Neasala: A serious but endearing base conversation triggered by eavesdropping on them after recruiting both. A talk detailing the dishonorable things they were willing to do to ensure the survival of their nations; the regrets they hold for having to do those things; and the undying love they have for their homes that give them hope and drive to continue to do such unspeakable things. Shura assures the Raven King he follows him as a comrade he truly respects; Naesala would be touched of finding a kindred spirit, though he would try to brush it away with a flippant word.
  • Mozu and Ashnard: A silly battle encounter dialogue. Impressed by the valor and ferocity of the girl with quaking knees, Ashnard would extend a hand towards her to join his cause. He has no discrimination towards social status - only power and ability matter to him. Shocked and a little flattered, she would hesitate, blush and scratch her cheek before remembering that she already has people she is willing to give her all for. Ashnard would laugh and challenge her to a duel, ready to test the plucky Villager's capabilities for himself. mozu proceeds to kick his ass
  • Xander and Jill: A solemn base conversation triggered by eavesdropping on them after recruiting both. Xander has heard whispers about the flame-haired Wyvern Rider willing to betray her nation during a war. He is uncertain of her loyalties. How dedicated to his cause can she be if she were willing to slay her own father for her enemy? Jill is unperturbed by the accusation, understanding of his suspicion. Though the most difficult and frightening decision of her life, it is one she does not regret. Xander demands to know why, perturbed and appalled. She replies that she knows her father would rather she fight against him in the name of what she believed in her heart was right, rather than fight by his side while remaining ignorant to the truth of the world around her. Xander falls silent, absorbed in thought.

. . . And, I can't think of any more at the moment. Too bad all of these are never going to happen.

sob

Edited by saisymbolic
cooled off the epic burn jill gave xander

1 hour ago, saisymbolic said:

Xander and Jill: A solemn base conversation triggered by eavesdropping on them after recruiting both. Xander has heard whispers about the flame-haired Wyvern Rider willing to betray her nation during a war. He is uncertain of her loyalties. How dedicated to his cause can she be if she were willing to slay her own father for her enemy? Jill is unperturbed by the accusation, understanding of his suspicion. Though the most difficult and frightening decision of her life, it is one she does not regret. Xander demands to know why, perturbed and appalled. She replies that she knows her father would rather she fight against him in the name of what she believed in her heart was right, rather than fight by his side while remaining ignorant to the truth of the world around her. Xander is struck silent.

Damn. Jill owned Xander hard! Many a fan would love to see this. Unfortunately I don't think IS would include such a clear rebuke of their writing quality.

I also like the Naesala-Shura thing. Naesala is a decently complex character, undermined only by IS's invention of the Blood Pact in RD.

And I forgot to mention a couple other interactions I'd like:

Hector and Zephiel in battle: Hector comments "Heard you killed the old me from Roy. So that is what I got for saving your life as a kid!?!" Zephiel responds "You saved my life the night before I was declared of age? You said nothing of it. Had you, I would have spared you. All you said as you fell to my blade was that your death had been foretold as a violent one years ago."

Eliwood and Elincia: If the heroes end up fighting each other by mistake, misunderstanding, or manipulation, somebody has to step up and sort things out. Eliwood isn't much of a fighter, but his appearance in Lyn Mode where he gets Caelin's neighbors to stay out of the heir dispute suggests he is a decent diplomat. Elincia proves herself a mediator in RD. Erika I guess could be one as well, less due to talent at negotiations and more her gentleness.

And (this is devolving into pure plot wishes) can we please have at least one major character get possessed or an evil double or something? I was thinking Ike ends up having to defend Yune from being captured by evil, and becomes so desperate in his protection of her that he has to force Yune into himself. Remember how Yune is the Goddess of Chaos, the thing that was sealed in Lehran's Medallion? You know, the thing that drove Ike's father Greil berserk when he touched it? Well, Ike forcing Yune into him basically turns him into berserk Greil, except much, much worse. Ike tries to restrain himself with all his strength, but inevitably he ends up rampaging indiscriminately across the world, with the other heroes having to save him.

I am interested in if/how they will take the opportunity to have character interactions. I'm imagining the same style of dialogue sequences we see in the Fire Emblem games with 2D drawn portraits of the characters with small voice snippets rather than full blown CG cutscenes for story mode like we see in Hyrule Warriors. Maybe unlock new character to character "support conversations" by fielding those characters in the same battles (assuming this is a warriors game that allows you to choose several characters for a battle and not just your own). 

So many unknowns to really talk about what to expect instead of what we want. Warriors is slated for a worldwide Fall release, so I fear we won't get any more information on this game until E3 in June. But given how fast three months passed by before the switch release, this may not feel like that long of a wait. It would be nice if they gave us a bit more of a taste. A famitsu article or trailer detailing mechanics, two or three more playable characters, then save the rest for a Hyrule Warriors styled month long hype fest of character trailers.

Oh, but as for my picks, I'd like to see Lucina and Marth interact. They did a joke of this interaction in Awakening DLCs where Marth confusedly asks why milady wears his garb. But in a serious context may provide a fuller narrative on the subject of meeting your heroes and how to inspire a nation to fight against overwhelming odds. Takumi and Innes could be a fun interaction given the competitive nature of these two. They certainly have more in common than Takumi and Leo. And I want as many conversations as possible between Jagen units. Because Jagen characters are great.

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Damn. Jill owned Xander hard! Many a fan would love to see this. Unfortunately I don't think IS would include such a clear rebuke of their writing quality.

Ha! I actually hadn't meant for it to be so savage. It's hard to express through words, but I meant for Xander to be more thoughtful than taken aback. Granted, I probably could have just used the word thoughtful . . . 

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And (this is devolving into pure plot wishes) can we please have at least one major character get possessed or an evil double or something? I was thinking Ike ends up having to defend Yune from being captured by evil, and becomes so desperate in his protection of her that he has to force Yune into himself. Remember how Yune is the Goddess of Chaos, the thing that was sealed in Lehran's Medallion? You know, the thing that drove Ike's father Greil berserk when he touched it? Well, Ike forcing Yune into him basically turns him into berserk Greil, except much, much worse. Ike tries to restrain himself with all his strength, but inevitably he ends up rampaging indiscriminately across the world, with the other heroes having to save him.

This sounds pretty cool, and it reminds me of a plot element in Warriors Orochi 3. Some of the characters that were previous allies to the Coalition are brainwashed by the enemy forces, and, to bring them back to the allied side, they would have to do various things to knock them to their senses - mostly kicking their butts. I could see Ike rushing into a battle abruptly, wreaking havoc and, just before the player can finish him off, he dashes off the battlefield.

I liked how in the first Warriors Orochi, some people fought for the enemy because their lord or loved ones were being held captive. I could easily see Ephraim fighting for the enemy forces for his sister, or Frederick being forced to fight Chrom because Lissa was captured. This angle could work for plenty of the characters, and it could cause some tension as well between them. For example, Lucia enraged at Geoffrey for fighting with the Coalition instead of fighting against them to protect Elincia (who is being held hostage), which keeps the player from recruiting her for a long while. Again, the same situation could be done for a majority of the characters.

Edited by saisymbolic
grammar

I've played the Hyper edition of WO3, plus DW7 and SWC. I really should get to downloading the original Orochi on my PS3 to see what pre-6/7 the DW characters were like. Visually, I can see they looked a lot less flashy, and much more historical (or at least could pass as appearing historical). Perhaps something was lost in the redesigns.

Suddenly, I'm visualizing berserk Ike looking something like Susano-o, who was pretty nasty in his opening battle in WO3. When you had to blitz to Sima Yi and Cao Pi before he got to your base and took out Da Ji. 

And just thinking on which FE characters you could kind of typecast as DW/SW ones. I was thinking we could make Ephraim Sun Ce, Erika can then take Sun Shangxiang. Eliwood Sun Quan. Marth Liu Bei. Sigurd... Sun Jian? Guan Ping for Leif? Roy as Lu Xun- don't Japanese fans adore him? If so, we need somebody to be like him for sales. Leo as Sima Yi or Shi. Soren can be Jia Xu- he isn't as ambitious as Sima Yi, but still realist. Ryoma as Yukimura Sanada. Toshiie Maeda maybe for Chrom. Xander could possibly be like Mitsuhide- aka always feeling their loyalty under stress and questioning their betrayal even when they finally commit to it. Takumi is loved by the Japanese fans- Mitsunari Ishida is similarly loved, and the two are both abrasive. IDK as to who NA/Europe likes, Deng Ai maybe? He combines manly bulk with strategy abilities, a wonderful combo.

53 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've played the Hyper edition of WO3, plus DW7 and SWC. I really should get to downloading the original Orochi on my PS3 to see what pre-6/7 the DW characters were like. Visually, I can see they looked a lot less flashy, and much more historical (or at least could pass as appearing historical). Perhaps something was lost in the redesigns.

Suddenly, I'm visualizing berserk Ike looking something like Susano-o, who was pretty nasty in his opening battle in WO3. When you had to blitz to Sima Yi and Cao Pi before he got to your base and took out Da Ji. 

And just thinking on which FE characters you could kind of typecast as DW/SW ones. I was thinking we could make Ephraim Sun Ce, Erika can then take Sun Shangxiang. Eliwood Sun Quan. Marth Liu Bei. Sigurd... Sun Jian? Guan Ping for Leif? Roy as Lu Xun- don't Japanese fans adore him? If so, we need somebody to be like him for sales. Leo as Sima Yi or Shi. Soren can be Jia Xu- he isn't as ambitious as Sima Yi, but still realist. Ryoma as Yukimura Sanada. Toshiie Maeda maybe for Chrom. Xander could possibly be like Mitsuhide- aka always feeling their loyalty under stress and questioning their betrayal even when they finally commit to it. Takumi is loved by the Japanese fans- Mitsunari Ishida is similarly loved, and the two are both abrasive. IDK as to who NA/Europe likes, Deng Ai maybe? He combines manly bulk with strategy abilities, a wonderful combo.

While there were things lost in the transition from DW5 to DW6, there were some things that were gained as well. Some of the characters are a lot better off in their current incarnations, while there are some that I feel were better in their previous.

I can't speak for most NA/EU audiences. All I know is that Zhao Yun constantly ranks Number One in most popularity polls. But, I personally enjoy most of the character from Wei and Jin along with a few select characters from the other kingdoms. Like, as soon as Cao Pi debuted in DW5, I fell in love with him. His role in the first WO is essentially what people wanted from Corrin in FE: CQ.

Leo isn't as devious as Sima Yi; he would be better off as Sima Shi. If Mark was anything more than a cardboard box and was actually playable, he would probably have a reputation similar to Zhuge Liang since, in the original game, if you get a high ranking, nations literally go to war to secure his employment. Zhuge Liang is often portrayed as the Grand Master Strategist that few could truly live up to - if any. Robin would be Zhou Yu since he likes setting boats on fire but I doubt Robin would leave Chrom's side unless forced - or, unless he had a trick up his sleeve. One of the dancers could be Diao Chan, but it would be dependent on who is the Lu Bu character likely. Saizou would obviously be Hanzo. Elise and Sakura would probably reflect the Xiao sisters.

I can't really think of more people; it's been a while since I've played any DW/SW/WO games.

Edited by saisymbolic
grammar

I really want to see Sigurd, Seliph, Roy and Eliwood interact. Those 4 having a cool bonding time would be really nice, Sigurd & Seilph in particular as they didn't get too much of a chance to bond in their game obviously.

1. Have Lyn, Eliwood, or Hector interact with Robin. Specifically, I want the "Tactician Mark" reference, and leave the conversation open to interpretation whether or not Robin is actually Mark the Tactician or not.

2. Marth interacts with Chrom and Alm interacts with Walhart. The former characters check up on the later ones on how the "continent is doing in the future."

3. Chrom and company interacting with the Corrin, referencing the Before Awakening DLC.

4. Chrom, Lucina, and Adult!Tiki discussing the matters at hand and how they are used to dimensional travel, referencing their various crossovers (like Project X Zone 2).

5. Young Hector and Lilina interact. I don't know much about Lilina's character, but I want to see Hector's reaction.
Not the deepest or most thought provoking of interactions (I love the Jill x Xander one posted in this thread), but they are simple novelties for me.

It would be interesting to have some laguel characters interact with a taguel. Talking of how theres a different species that hasnt been heard of. heck. just a full blown map of all the beast characters fighting each other would make for an interesting battle dynamic.

• 1 month later...

All of these ideas are so good! I kinda feel unworthy to put my own two cents in, but I'm going to anyway.

Ike and Ryoma comparing Garon with the Black Knight, and how their adventures have differences despite things being similar in many aspects.

Tethys, Tharja and Camilla sharing advice on effective fanservice.

Fae, Tana, Elise, Nowi, and others playing around. Maybe they get scolded for messing about on the battlefield?

Leo, Robin and Marth exchanging advice on strategies.

Raigh getting annoyed at Henry not being goth enough. Henry doesn't care.

I know my ideas are terrible compared with everyone else, but what can I do?

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/17 at 4:43 AM, Sire said:

1. Have Lyn, Eliwood, or Hector interact with Robin. Specifically, I want the "Tactician Mark" reference, and leave the conversation open to interpretation whether or not Robin is actually Mark the Tactician or not.

2. Marth interacts with Chrom and Alm interacts with Walhart. The former characters check up on the later ones on how the "continent is doing in the future."

3. Chrom and company interacting with the Corrin, referencing the Before Awakening DLC.

4. Chrom, Lucina, and Adult!Tiki discussing the matters at hand and how they are used to dimensional travel, referencing their various crossovers (like Project X Zone 2).

5. Young Hector and Lilina interact. I don't know much about Lilina's character, but I want to see Hector's reaction.

I really like this, perhaps there could be a unique spin on them depending upon certain circumstances. For example, Morgan could likely be an interesting idea for 1, given that his/her Japanese name is Marc.

I'd like to see Marth and Lucina having some deep, meaningful conversations with Marth telling Lucina to lighten up a little. Similarly, I'd also like Lucina to have conversations with Lyn, Alm and Eirika, since she has common ground with each of them.

Naturally though, if characters can use multiple classes that dictate their weapon availabilities, I have to hear Owain yelling something along the lines of:

"GAH! The fields of battle cry out for one of my heroic lineage! These fields/halls will run red with the blood of my enemies for now, I awaken the slumbering power within! My sword hand twitches and today it will mete out a great justice the likes of which have never been seen before! For I am Owain/Odin Dark!"

Of course if Laurent, Inigo, Leo, Niles or any other characters associated with him that find it embarrassing were to chime in some way through that if they're on the battlefield and chastise him for doing it, it'd be rather amusing. Of course it'd be equally funny if Lucina chimes in and references her temporary renaming of Falchion to 'Pointy Demonspanker' as a piece of dialogue that occurs after it if nobody stops him and she's present.

I'm sorry. I've channelled my inner Owain... I've been told not to do that... I should probably go to bed...