Dcat draws stuff

Dragoncat

Before we get started, we have to talk about the elephant in the room. If you remember how I acted in the spriting forum circa 2015ish, there is in fact a legit reason which I will cover in the below spoiler, but if you don't, move along.

Spoiler

I take medications for mental health, mildly autistic/aspergers. I used to take one at night, thought it helped me sleep, but then the doctor said it didn't. My response was to stop taking it cold turkey. Bad idea, I got depressed and irritable, which resulted in me the dumpster fire that was my spriting thread. I was offended by everything. Now I take all my pills in the morning, including that one.

That being said, I have some rules regarding critique. I am aware I need improvement on things like hands, hair, action poses, backgrounds etc. Please refrain from making your entire comment a critique/telling me I need to work on this that and whatever. I love getting comments on the idea itself. Like if I post a pic of an OC, I'll also post some information on said OC, so you can ask a question that I didn't cover in the description. You may give advice but I'm more likely to take it if you show interest in my ideas and/or tell me what I did right.

Art will start in the next post. 

Edited by Dragoncat

saturnteam.png

One of the canons I play in my Pokemon: Turf Wars RP. Saturn of Team Galactic, birth name Slater. With a changed hairstyle because the one in canon is stupid imo. 

The toxicroak is named Franklin, the crobat is Vincent, and the bronzong is Sputnik. When I design pokemon I like to give them slightly different colors or markings than the default, but not enough to be considered shiny, just enough to individualize them. I also use a semi realistic style or try to. 

And some lore straight from the RP:

Slater "Saturn"
Hair: blue, tufted
Eyes: silver
Skin: pale
Build: tall

Third to be promoted out of himself, Mars, and Jupiter. Calm and somewhat quiet. Skilled and he knows it, has a slight ego. Developed an interest in Mars early on, but was too passive to pursue her, luckily for him she ended up returning the affections. Proud of his son, but sometimes wishes he hadn't inherited his mother's temper.

Franklin
Species: toxicroak
Nature: lax
Ability: anticipation
Moves: sludge bomb, revenge, pursuit, swagger

Franklin was Saturn's first pokemon. He's a bit of a glutton, he hoards food like a munchlax, but it doesn't seem to have any negative effects.

Vincent
Species: crobat
Nature: bold
Ability: inner focus
Moves: cross poison, haze, leech life, air cutter

Caught as a zubat, Vincent is close to his trainer and likes to perch on his shoulder. Because trainer relationships can rub off on pokemon, he is the father of five zubats by Mars' crobat, Luna. Each of them has its own Galactic member as a trainer.

Sputnik
Species: bronzong
Nature: serious
Ability: heatproof
Moves: extrasensory, reflect, shadow ball, gyro ball

Named after the first man made satellite to go into orbit. Bronzongs are technically genderless but Saturn sees Sputnik as a male and uses male pronouns when referring to it/him.

Edited by Dragoncat

For a second, I thought you'd drawn Merc. lol

I don't mind the canon hairstyle, but this one is alright too. But yeah, there's no point anymore in saying what you need to improve on if you already know, that'd be totally redundant. As long as you keep practicing, you'll get better!

Nope! Merc's hair is spiky and he got his mom's eye color (red) Also that's not his team. Since Saturn and Mars both have crobats, I made it so trainer relationships can rub off on pokemon and Mars' crobat gave birth one day. All the baby zubats got trainers as well. Speaking of which, I really like my crobat design.

Saturn's canon hair style looks like a cat with a bowl cut...it's just wtf stupid to me and it seems like a guy with his personality wouldn't want to look ridiculous like that.

Haha, I can see that happening. lol The trainer relationships thing rubbing off on Pokemon, I mean. :P

Eh, I can see what you mean, but I guess it just never bothered me.

Yeah, I assume they would let them out to play with each other, and they got along a little too well lol. Probably the crobats sensed things between them before they were sure of it themselves, and that was their way of getting their trainers to act on it/make a move. It was probably an "omg" situation. Merc would've had one of the zubats, but by the time he was born and old enough to have his own pokemon, all the zubats already had trainers.

Adding some text lore to the post with the image.

Edited by Dragoncat

• 2 weeks later...

fe_oc__keanu_by_rubydragoncat-db2ufy8.pn

My heron OC, Keanu. 

This guy is a common heron, which I headcanon as being blue. Common herons mostly have offensive, light magic based galdr. They can still do the vigor/rejuvenate/move again thing, but their magic overall isn't as powerful as that of the royal white herons.

I like to think there were some common heron survivors of the Serenes massacre. Not a lot, but yeah. He can either be an advisor/friend to Reyson and Leanne, or he can be around like a century later, when the heron population is starting to get back to its original levels. I'm using him as one of my characters in an RP here called Radiance Dusk which uses the latter.

As far as personality goes, he's calm and level headed, and believes that there is some good in everybody, so he will pray for the souls of his fallen enemies. He is a Serenes soldier and will blast villains with light magic, but doesn't hold grudges. If he's around in canon time, he has a strong fear of fire for obvious reasons. His best friend is a former hawk pirate named Strixal, who he saved the life of once.

I still find it crazy how we both used the name Keanu... I used it for a town though. :P

Anyway, I think you're getting better! Proportions look a little more realistic than usual. Buuut, you also forgot the sclera in the eyes again...

He sounds like my guy Ralph would get along great with him. Remember, Ralph is so kind that he's too kind for his own good and it's led him to get taken advantage of at times, and he tries to find good in everyone, even enemies.

Haha, that reminds me of how the towns in Zelda AoL are named after the sages in OoT.

The sclera are there...might be hard to see them with the light eye color, but they're there.

Yeah, him and Ralph would get along! I can also see Ralph wanting to befriend a heron anyway because of their galdr and he sings.

Ah. Well, I honestly can't see them at all, but if you tried to put them there, that's still good. They just need to somehow be a bit more visible.

Heh, yeah, you're right! In fact, Ralph's voice is said to be comparable to that of a heron laguz. Some people even say he has to be the reincarnation of one! That remains a theory in canon though. ;)

EDIT - separated the two charts and fixed the text.

personality_chart_merc_by_rubydragoncat-

merc_heart_chart_by_rubydragoncat-db3v1a

Okay so this is both too big to post in a forum AND not really something I drew. I got an urge to start making OC personality and heart/relationship charts, so I did. Starting with Merc since he's fresh in my mind and his personality isn't 100% complete, so filling out a chart will help. Will make ones for my FE and Zelda OCs too.

Click

I don't take credit for the personality chart, found it on DA. I added the heart chart. For the personality part, the black square is where he falls between those traits. The hearts are color coded and show how much of that feeling he has toward that person. For example, both his parents are equal amounts of "respect" and "family". He hasn't interacted with Gladion in the RP yet, but I figure it would be that. Also, lol at the two annoyance hearts for Charon. Crabby old men and teenage males don't usually mix that well xD 

Edited by Dragoncat

You can zoom in on it. But yeah, can do. The original was ginormous so I made it smaller, and that text suffered.

A Merc/Gladion interaction would be interesting, right? They'd probably just go "meh" at first, then gravitate toward each other eventually since they're both male teens and neither of them really had much peer companionship. Well, Gladion had opportunities but yeah. They might end up as "brothers from another mother". But still lone wolves. They'd get tired of each other and just go back to their own business, but seek each other out when they're feeling social.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, I didn't notice I could zoom. lol oops. :P But I see now. Yeah, I think they would be cool with each other, sounds interesting!

I'm still fixing the text anyway xD

Sad thing is they'll meet as enemies at first in the RP. Gladion's trailing the Skull peeps. But if they become friends that would just add to the story in a good way.

Gladion: *tells Merc about how psychotic Lusamine tends to be and gives examples*

Merc: o_o Dang, and I thought my mom could get a temper...that really sucks, dude...

48 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I'm still fixing the text anyway xD

Sad thing is they'll meet as enemies at first in the RP. Gladion's trailing the Skull peeps. But if they become friends that would just add to the story in a good way.

Gladion: *tells Merc about how psychotic Lusamine tends to be and gives examples*

Merc: o_o Dang, and I thought my mom could get a temper...that really sucks, dude...

Yeah, true! And lol that would be funny right there. XD

I'm considering posting an Altarais RP here. You know, my FE continent. Not sure though, because I'm not sure how many people would join it... And two countries still lack named leaders (the hawk nation and the heron nation, though that's because the time for that in the story hasn't come yet).

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, true! And lol that would be funny right there. XD

I'm considering posting an Altarais RP here. You know, my FE continent. Not sure though, because I'm not sure how many people would join it... And two countries still lack named leaders (the hawk nation and the heron nation, though that's because the time for that in the story hasn't come yet).

Throw Silver in there and they'd be the three amigos xD But that's highly unlikely anyway...Silver probably hates his dad's guts for abandoning him and his mom. The only thing I find funny about that little exchange is the pot calling the kettle black, Merc did inherit Mars' temper, but okey.

You might want to wait until Radiance Dusk is over if you do try, sure it's popular but everybody who wants a Tellius RP is in it and I don't think they'd be able to do an RP that takes place near Tellius at the same time.

1 minute ago, Dragoncat said:

Throw Silver in there and they'd be the three amigos xD But that's highly unlikely anyway...Silver probably hates his dad's guts for abandoning him and his mom. The only thing I find funny about that little exchange is the pot calling the kettle black, Merc did inherit Mars' temper, but okey.

You might want to wait until Radiance Dusk is over if you do try, sure it's popular but everybody who wants a Tellius RP is in it and I don't think they'd be able to do an RP that takes place near Tellius at the same time.

Haha so true. Those three would probably be golden entertainment.

Yeah, I thought about that too. Thing is though, my RP is technically not Tellius since it's Altarais, a different continent. It just exists in the same world. Tellius-related things would be mentioned, but the main focus would be characters in the countries of Altarais helping with recovery and rebuilding after the recent war ended (the war in the story, Dawn of Darkness, of course). So Radiance Dusk being there might not be that big a deal. But I do think you're right that people in that one might think they don't have the time to join another right now.

WIP time!

pikapreview.png

There's been pikachu plushies dressed as the various team grunts floating around facebook, so this project happened...I'm leaning more toward a species swap look. The Ghetsis pikachu is the unfinished one, the finished one is Maxie. I'll include little text blurbs with them, which you'll have to wait to see!

Style preference. I use semi realism, or try to. Yeah, maybe I could've looked more at what rodent muzzles look like, but it's too late now.

As long as you can still tell it's pikachu...right?

Edited by Dragoncat

Yeah, I can tell, but only because of the yellow coloring and the red circles on the cheeks. Otherwise, I don't think I would've figured it out. xP But if it's just your style choice, I can't stop that.