Voting Gauntlet Discussion Thread

Vaximillian

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

Not entirely true.  Edward V of England was never coronated, but he was still considered king after his dad died, until his uncle supplanted him.

I understand there are exceptions, but generally speaking a prince becomes a king during a coronation. Nor do we have any explicit references to a coronation. But we do have Ephraim and Eririka discussing Ephraim becoming king once the war is over. So even after their father was killed, they still considered him a prince who would ascend to the throne at some point.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Cossack>Cavalier said:

I understand there are exceptions, but generally speaking a prince becomes a king during a coronation. Nor do we have any explicit references to a coronation. But we do have Ephraim and Eririka discussing Ephraim becoming king once the war is over. So even after their father was killed, they still considered him a prince who would ascend to the throne at some point.

Disclaimer: I might be wrong here, I love talking about nit-picky historical nuances like this, so I hope I don't come across as pendantic.

Since he was in exile, it would likely be referring to him being a king with an actual country to run.  If things had gone their course, he would have been only rightful king in name, but not fact, sort of like the Stuart line in exile in France after the abdication of James II or any countless royal family after they are forced to leave their throne one way or another.

Another example would be Edward I of England, who literally took years to get back to England and get crowned after Henry III died, but he was still considered king in the interim.  It seems having a country to support your claim to the kingship matters the most in the official title.

Granted, there are people who probably would be able to say whether I'm just blowing hot air, or can say when a prince actually becomes king.  @Hattusili I or @blah the Prussian are a couple history buffs around here.

7 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Disclaimer: I might be wrong here, I love talking about nit-picky historical nuances like this, so I hope I don't come across as pendantic.

Since he was in exile, it would likely be referring to him being a king with an actual country to run.  If things had gone their course, he would have been only rightful king in name, but not fact, sort of like the Stuart line in exile in France after the abdication of James II or any countless royal family after they are forced to leave their throne one way or another.

Another example would be Edward I of England, who literally took years to get back to England and get crowned after Henry III died, but he was still considered king in the interim.  It seems having a country to support your claim to the kingship matters the most in the official title.

Granted, there are people who probably would be able to say whether I'm just blowing hot air, or can say when a prince actually becomes king.  @Hattusili I or @blah the Prussian are a couple history buffs around here.

You're fine, no worries!

There's a bit of conflation, I think, between the real world and FE. Within the source material, Ephraim is consistently referred to as a Prince who will become King. Not a King who will regain his Kingdom as Marth was through all of FE 3/12 despite having lost Altea. Indeed, he goes right on being prince Marth through FE 1/11 until "something" happens and then he's king (a coronation, even if it's not called such.) In FE 3/12, he once again lost Altea, but was still considered a King.

You can contrast this with Chrom, who upon Emmryn's death was already considered the Exalt by those around him (even though he refused the title). So there's a obviously a difference in procedure here and it's been handled both ways. The Yllisse doesn't seem to need a ceremony, whereas Renais and Altea do, or at least some official recognition.

As for the historical examples, I suspect, but may be wrong, that it's a sort of retroactive application. He's treated as king because those loyal expect him to be crowned. And once he is officially crowned, the status of king is applied retroactively.

If only that actually happened... except this is reality.

I feel like no matter what happens *(aka no matter how badly Ephraim loses), the Ephraim/Chrom battle will be the most memorable one for times to come, and appreciation for FE8 will really go on the rise because of it.

1 minute ago, Elieson said:

I feel like no matter what happens *(aka no matter how badly Ephraim loses), the Ephraim/Chrom battle will be the most memorable one for times to come, and appreciation for FE8 will really go on the rise because of it.

I've noticed that ever since the "New Wave" of FE, with the 3DS games, there has been a renewed appreciation of both Gaiden and Sacred Stones.  Before, it seemed like they were the Black Sheep, but now that grinding and open maps are more a common feature, they don't get as much hate.

Just now, Rezzy said:

I've noticed that ever since the "New Wave" of FE, with the 3DS games, there has been a renewed appreciation of both Gaiden and Sacred Stones.  Before, it seemed like they were the Black Sheep, but now that grinding and open maps are more a common feature, they don't get as much hate.

Well FE8 was an ambassador game, so it was available for more people on handheld in the post-GBA era because of that.

Gaiden though...I didn't notice the ressurgence until about 1 month before the Echoes direct.

3 minutes ago, Elieson said:

If Ephraim shows up in Warriors & he becomes friendly rivals with Chrom, I will laugh.

28 minutes ago, FoliFF said:

Get up Ephraim! It's not too late to give up!

Reveal hidden contents

And the amazing fan art continues! Alas, if only that was the actual case. (Unless Team Lucina is full of hackers and Nintendo shadowbans them and wipes off their scores!) I jest, of course. Lucina simply has far more popularity than Ephraim does.

I agree with Eleison that Ephraim vs Chrom will be remembered for a while, especially with all the fan works (art and stories) that sprung out of it during that 45 hour period. I also wonder if the demand and sales of Sacred Stones went up due to the matchup.

1 minute ago, Jedi said:

If Ephraim shows up in Warriors & he becomes friendly rivals with Chrom, I will laugh.

I think the switch is a waste of time, but if that game doesn't come out for Wii U, and both Ephraim and Chrom are in it, I actually might consider just to see it happen

Just now, Arcanite said:

I think the switch is a waste of time, but if that game doesn't come out for Wii U, and both Ephraim and Chrom are in it, I actually might consider just to see it happen

Whoa, lets not rip on the Switch now, and no, it's almost guaranteed not to come to Wii U. That's what tends to happen with new systems.

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Wasn't it confirmed to get a N3DS port?

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Whoa, lets not rip on the Switch now, and no, it's almost guaranteed not to come to Wii U. That's what tends to happen with new systems.

Trust me, if I was ripping on the switch I would have said a lot more than that.

1 minute ago, Ether said:

Wasn't it confirmed to get a N3DS port?

I'll definitely be buying that game then.

8 minutes ago, Sire said:

I also wonder if the demand and sales of Sacred Stones went up due to the matchup.

More like "downloads" if you're picking up what I'm putting down ;)

Lucina on track to surpass 10 billions, this  is just hilariously one-sided now. My cumulative rank went from 9k to 60k, personal rank from 60k to unranked. Jesus, it beyond beating a dead horse, more like total annihilation of Ephraim to a microscopic level. It like Lucina's army doesn't even want a single atom of Ephraim to existed. Can we chill Team Lucina? I legitly wanting to side with Ephraim now.

13 minutes ago, Sire said:

I agree with Eleison that Ephraim vs Chrom will be remembered for a while, especially with all the fan works (art and stories) that sprung out of it during that 45 hour period. I also wonder if the demand and sales of Sacred Stones went up due to the matchup.

I was talking to my brother about the match-up, and as a result he's playing Sacred Stones for the first time, now. Previously, he's just done 7, 9, 11, and 13.

Sadly, I can't get him to do Genealogy simply due to the age of the game. He's a stickler for "not shitty" graphics. Alas.

4 minutes ago, Cossack>Cavalier said:

Sadly, I can't get him to do Genealogy simply due to the age of the game. He's a stickler for "not shitty" graphics. Alas.

...how are FE4's graphics "shitty" but FE8's are not?

38 minutes ago, Jedi said:

That would be kinda awesome. Actually I would be seriously annoyed if they didn't include Ephraim.

Lucina is just killing it... again! Each time she does this I go... well, guess they must be outta flags... but noooooooooooooooooo.  :p

2 minutes ago, ErrantDShepherd said:

That would be kinda awesome. Actually I would be seriously annoyed if they didn't include Ephraim.

Lucina is just killing it... again! Each time she does this I go... well, guess they must be outta flags... but noooooooooooooooooo.  :p

They never seem to run out of flags.....