Why people hate Raven?

Harvey

I get that its a subjective matter and I guess I have to take it with a grain of salt.....but I just can't understand why people hate Raven so much.

Yeah, his revenge thing isn't fleshed out right but other than that, I don't see any real reason to hate him...I mean, its freaking RAVEN! One of the most rad guys in FE history!?!?!

I mean, its freaking RAVEN! One of the most rad guys in FE history!?!?!

Maybe it is such reasoning that annoys some people? Raven is a likely unit to be overated because of his edgyness. Then you have his relationship with Lucius and with Priscilla.

I dont hate him... but I do find him bland... though I find most heroes to be bland.

(Yes ... I know they have high stats... but w/o +15 crits feels like a nonmounted Paladin... ugh)

Thats so Raven.

I don't recall people hating him really, I seem to recall him being one of FE7's more popular characters actually

Edited by Jedi

I haven't actually seen much hate for Raven, particularly on SF. The main instance I can remember him being bashed on was when dondon bashed him in the FE7 character rankings thread for not being mounted or Marcus, and that was years ago. I'm also sure they weren't taking HHM S-Rank contributions into account, since if I recall, Raven was really good at that due to HM stat bonuses and overall good base stats for his level, and having a low enough level to contribute to the Exp. Rank greatly.

On that note, he's actually one of my 5 most favourite FE7 characters, for both his stats and character design.

But everybody loves Raven!

Most people don't dislike Raven, it's more that higher-level players' consensus is that he's overrated because foot combat is a niche of low importance in FE7.

10 hours ago, Aircalipoor said:

Maybe it is such reasoning that annoys some people? Raven is a likely unit to be overated because of his edgyness. Then you have his relationship with Lucius and with Priscilla.

What's wrong with his relationship with Lucius...

I like him okay.  He's one of the few units in Heroes that I still hope to Pull, that's not 5* exclusive.

I remember "Raven is susceptible to getting RNG screwed" was practically a meme for some reason on GameFAQs, back in the day.

Ike is the better Hero anyway

But in all honesty, his relationship with Lucius was very sweet, but I can't deny that his whole "revenge" obsession can come off as overly edgy and flat at times. Not sure if I ship them though

13 hours ago, X-Naut said:

But everybody loves Raven!

I am suddenly reminded of the TV show "Everybody Loves Raymond."

As for why there are people who don't love Raymond Raven, I think it's because nothing is universally liked.

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

As sexist(?) as this sounds, he only interest me because he could be possibly be gay.

Well, I like him for the same reason, he could be gay. For me it's because as a gay man, I like seeing gay characters in things. And he is as close as we get in FE7. So, I don't think it's an ist, and even if it was I don't think it would be sexist haha, it would have to be a different ist lol. But like I said, I don't think it is, personally.

3 hours ago, Dylan Corona said:

Well, I like him for the same reason, he could be gay. For me it's because as a gay man, I like seeing gay characters in things. And he is as close as we get in FE7. So, I don't think it's an ist, and even if it was I don't think it would be sexist haha, it would have to be a different ist lol. But like I said, I don't think it is, personally.

I don't really think Raven gives off hints of being gay, except for maybe in his relationship with Lucius as well as his supports with him.

Then, again, I haven't read his supports for quite some time, so I'll check again.

He's boring, and 90% of his character and personality is that he is edgy.
I hate 95% of edgy characters so much.
They're so annoying.

3 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

I don't really think Raven gives off hints of being gay, except for maybe in his relationship with Lucius as well as his supports with him.

Then, again, I haven't read his supports for quite some time, so I'll check again.

I think it's his Lucius supports that give him that reputation.  Then there's the Lucius x Priscilla support, where she asks if Lucius has been sheathing Raven's sword.

4 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

He's boring.

The Rebecca support is alright, the bonding in their A over their mutual sibling issues was admittedly cute.  

Rebecca's amazingness must rub off.

Personally, I like Raven. Lucius I like when he isn't with Raven.

13 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I think it's his Lucius supports that give him that reputation.  Then there's the Lucius x Priscilla support, where she asks if Lucius has been sheathing Raven's sword.

Ahh, I see.

I think Lucius sheathing Raven's sword is mostly out of his loyalty for him.

4 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Maybe he's bi, or like just in love with Lucius and only Lucius haha. Sexuality is not always so black and white haha. I know he's not gay, and they don't actually have a relationship, but it's nice head cannon for LGBT fans of the game, like myself.

To be honest, I didn't use Raven just because he always got hit in my game, bad level ups lol. But I have no problem with him and I know he has his fans.

Edited by Dylan Corona

Looking through his support conversations, it seems Raven is only really edgy with Lucius, Priscilla, and Wil. In his Rebecca and Barte supports he is serious and a little antisocial, but nothing so heavy. RavenxWil by the way seems like a Japanese joke that didn't transfer right, seeing how the Japanese are hung up on social relations between individuals even in their basic conversations, or so I've heard.

As for incestuous- there is nothing really that bad in RavenxPriscilla. So when they were little kids they pretended to wed each other- like they had any idea incest was bad? Innocent children do stuff like that. And what is the problem with opposite sex siblings being close to each other? Okay, I'll concede Raquesis and Eldigan take that a bit too far! But I don't think things are so bad with Pris and Rave- only LuciusxPriscilla really opens the possibility of (perhaps one-sided) incest:

Priscilla: Yes… You see? You went to Cornwell after I left. And you have been with my brother ever since… I had only six with him, but you have had more than ten. I am a little… jealous.

As for gayness, I have zero qualms with Soren, Raven, Ike, Ranulf, Heather, Kyza, Devdan, Niles, Rhajat, or TakumixHinata and LeoxOdin or any other FE or fictional or real person in general being gay. Though I don't think we have evidence to say it definitively for Raven. Go ahead and speculate if you want to though- I don't care.

And of course, in gameplay, yeah good Strength and Speed make Raven an offensive machine. High HP and dodge-tanking viability compensates for eh Defense, Res, and Luck. A Sain sans horse with more Skill, less Luck, and no Lances- but not a bad thing. Nice base stats and low level helps if you're doing ranked because it seems Experience is the devil rank.