Why people hate Raven?

Harvey

35 minutes ago, Dylan Corona said:

Maybe he's bi, or like just in love with Lucius and only Lucius haha. Sexuality is not always so black and white haha. I know he's not gay, and they don't actually have a relationship, but it's nice head cannon for LGBT fans of the game, like myself.

To be honest, I didn't use Raven just because he always got hit in my game, bad level ups lol. But I have no problem with him and I know he has his fans.

Yeah, as a headcannon, it works, I guess.

In my case, Raven turned out quite well, haha. I guess he's more screwable to RNG as another user had said before.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for incestuous- there is nothing really that bad in RavenxPriscilla. So when they were little kids they pretended to wed each other- like they had any idea incest was bad? Innocent children do stuff like that. And what is the problem with opposite sex siblings being close to each other? Okay, I'll concede Raquesis and Eldigan take that a bit too far! But I don't think things are so bad with Pris and Rave- only LuciusxPriscilla really opens the possibility of (perhaps one-sided) incest:

Priscilla: Yes… You see? You went to Cornwell after I left. And you have been with my brother ever since… I had only six with him, but you have had more than ten. I am a little… jealous.

I also honestly speaking, did not find Raven and Priscilla's supports with each other incestuous. 

Pretty much the line you quoted of Priscilla is the only thing that shows some hints of incest, but other than that, I just think she's really close to her brother.

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Looking through his support conversations, it seems Raven is only really edgy with Lucius, Priscilla, and Wil. In his Rebecca and Barte supports he is serious and a little antisocial, but nothing so heavy. RavenxWil by the way seems like a Japanese joke that didn't transfer right, seeing how the Japanese are hung up on social relations between individuals even in their basic conversations, or so I've heard.

As for incestuous- there is nothing really that bad in RavenxPriscilla. So when they were little kids they pretended to wed each other- like they had any idea incest was bad? Innocent children do stuff like that. And what is the problem with opposite sex siblings being close to each other? Okay, I'll concede Raquesis and Eldigan take that a bit too far! But I don't think things are so bad with Pris and Rave- only LuciusxPriscilla really opens the possibility of (perhaps one-sided) incest:

Priscilla: Yes… You see? You went to Cornwell after I left. And you have been with my brother ever since… I had only six with him, but you have had more than ten. I am a little… jealous.

As for gayness, I have zero qualms with Soren, Raven, Ike, Ranulf, Heather, Kyza, Devdan, Niles, Rhajat, or TakumixHinata and LeoxOdin or any other FE or fictional or real person in general being gay. Though I don't think we have evidence to say it definitively for Raven. Go ahead and speculate if you want to though- I don't care.

And of course, in gameplay, yeah good Strength and Speed make Raven an offensive machine. High HP and dodge-tanking viability compensates for eh Defense, Res, and Luck. A Sain sans horse with more Skill, less Luck, and no Lances- but not a bad thing. Nice base stats and low level helps if you're doing ranked because it seems Experience is the devil rank.

Wait... Soren, Ike, and Ranulf are gay?

I find Priscilla and Raven's relationship to have no incest whatsoever. Although, I can see how it could be interpreted in that way, especially when talking about that line.

Can someone tell me when Laquesis and Eldigan show signs of incest? Cause I have played through FE4 like 5 times and only notice it when Laquesis brags about how great he is in Chp. 2

I always feel that Lachesis case is like majority of incest in the series

Its implied by the game(villager, Nanna), the brother and sister is indeed close, but it isn't really that much and everyone exagerate it to massive proportion. The fact that FE4 lacks writing because FE4 only gives a shit about Leif and Sigurd make it even better for the same reason a lot of people like Shadow Dragon - he minimalist writing allows for crazy headcanon

But the irony of the whole thing is the fact the biggest implication is told by Nanna

Lets put it this way, this is the only character in the entire series who conciously decided to marry her older brother with a relationship that is entirely built around the fact that they are basically sibling and they want to fuck each other because they want to be more than a sibling.

Leaf:
“There’s just too much on my mind to be thinking about whether I love someone or not…”

And this quote is just fucking beautiful.

Edited by JSND

On 3/26/2017 at 2:33 AM, Dylan Corona said:

Well, I like him for the same reason, he could be gay. For me it's because as a gay man, I like seeing gay characters in things. And he is as close as we get in FE7. So, I don't think it's an ist, and even if it was I don't think it would be sexist haha, it would have to be a different ist lol. But like I said, I don't think it is, personally.

Just making sure I wasn't offending anyone. People these days are pretty volatile.

Edit: Ok, I don't why I just quoted you twice

Edited by Zangetsu

4 hours ago, 1japanfan said:

Wait... Soren, Ike, and Ranulf are gay?

None of them are necessarily gay. Heather and Kyza pretty much are, not outright stated in the English version, but implied enough to be beyond a reasonable doubt at least in Japan (and Heather even in English). Devdan is a bit murkier and based wholly on his Japanese version, but you can't cross out the possibility with him.

Ike, Soren, and Ranulf are sometimes perceived as gay, though Ike could just be asexual/benignly not really into romance. Soren, well I've written two giant posts before outlining how Soren is just mega socially awkward, with an Ike obsession stemming from savior-hood. Ranulf gets along great with Ike and even gets a paired ending with him at the end of RD, but that is it. There is nothing saying beyond a reasonable doubt what any of these three are (like say, 80% of all FE characters) but the way they are portrayed sometimes lead people to say they are even if closer examination leaves the judgments in question.

3 hours ago, JSND said:

Leaf:
“There’s just too much on my mind to be thinking about whether I love someone or not…”

Whenever they remake GotHW and T776, I'll be looking for the official version of that line and tossing it around this place.

And I suddenly just remembered- what of Marty and Dagdar? I mean Marty's character ending title translates as "The Man Whom Dagdar Loved". And if Dagdar is somehow a big old gay guy (not a stereotypical pretty boy- yay!), then we have a gay guy with a family (Tanya) in a video game- I consider that progress!

2 minutes ago, Dylan Corona said:

Wait, what paired ending? They have a ending together? o.o

not really, but ranulf's ending does change if he has an a support with ike

it says that he goes on some journey, which implies that he either left with ike or leaves to try to find ike (although I sort of interpreted it as the latter since soren's ending with ike specifically says that he leaves with ike whereas ranulf's just says that he goes somewhere) 

the ending itself reads "After seeing Skrimir crowned as king, Ranulf set off on a journey, saying only, “There’s so much I haven’t seen.”

Edited by unique

Ranulf (A support with Ike)

After seeing Skrimir crowned as king, Ranulf set off on a journey, saying only, “There’s so much I haven’t seen.”

It doesn't say "with Ike" but here is Ike's ending:

Ike

Once he saw stability returned, Ike left on a journey to lands still unknown. He was never seen again.

I think you could argue it's implied that Ranulf goes with Ike, or at least after him.

And here is Soren's for comparison:

Soren (A support with Ike)

When peace had settled on the land, Soren packed lightly and set off with the only person he had ever trusted.

5 minutes ago, unique said:

not really, but ranulf's ending does change if he has an a support with ike

it says that he goes on some journey, which implies that he either left with ike or leaves to try to find ike (although I sort of interpreted it as the latter since soren's ending with ike specifically says that he leaves with ike whereas ranulf's just says that he goes somewhere) 

Ah, okay. That sounds familiar lol. I was going to say I couldn't remember that, but I do remember the Soren one.

Also, I would say that it Nephenee could be seen as bi or gay. She seemed to be a bit into Cailli (I can't remember how to spell it, but the worlds greatest Sage). But maybe that's more head cannon, like with Raven. In my head, at least, her and Heather liked each other haha.

Edited by Dylan Corona

He has HM boosts so I automatically don't hate him unless you consider him as an enemy. With his bases and growths he became the gamebraker in HHM for me.

Well, I can't say much about his personality except for his support with Priscilla which was alright I guess. Seems to be edgy a bit, but it doesn't bother me at all.

Edited by Magillanica Lou Mayvin

I like Raven as a character. He's a hero, which is a plus, and he has an interesting backstory. Although the whole 'vengeance' thing got old after a bit, but he at least showed other sides to his character.

For the gay discussion, I don't think he's gay, but that's not to say he's completely straight, there isn't a lot evidence, but we have:

1.) Has a paired ending with Lucius 

2.) Priscilla comments about how Lucius "sheathes Raven's sword" (I may have a dirty mind though)

Granted, Lucius is very feminine looking, and that could explain a part of Raven's attraction for him IF he actually is.

On 3/30/2017 at 2:09 AM, Dandy Druid said:

2.) Priscilla comments about how Lucius "sheathes Raven's sword" (I may have a dirty mind though)

Obviously when Priscilla said that, she didn't mean by "what the dirty sides of our minds think". besides, if it was like that, how would Priscilla know, lol?

although, now when I read that phrase, it does seem like it could fit in some flirty or subtle sentence like, "hey, wanna sheath my sword?". I mean, that's the best example I could come up with.

On 3/29/2017 at 5:09 PM, Dandy Druid said:

I didn't see that exact wording appear anywhere in the Lucius-Priscilla support chain on this site (or the Raven-Priscilla). Unless we're talking about something in the Japanese script, that line does not exist. This fan made falsity only serves to produce misunderstandings of Raven.

7 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Obviously when Priscilla said that, she didn't mean by "what the dirty sides of our minds think". besides, if it was like that, how would Priscilla know, lol?

although, now when I read that phrase, it does seem like it could fit in some flirty or subtle sentence like, "hey, wanna sheath my sword?". I mean, that's the best example I could come up with.

Well I mean they're not talking about weapons.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I didn't see that exact wording appear anywhere in the Lucius-Priscilla support chain on this site (or the Raven-Priscilla). Unless we're talking about something in the Japanese script, that line does not exist. This fan made falsity only serves to produce misunderstandings of Raven.

Yeah it's not in the English version at least. It's probably made up if not in the Japanese version. "This fan" me? Because someone said that earlier in the thread and I ran with it. But that really makes me no better, now does it? But seriously "this fan". You quoted me so you're already speaking to me directly.

I just reread the Raven and Lucius support (English) and the only romantic thing that can be inferred is in their A support where Raven says he wants someone to go home to (implying he wants Lucius to wait for him), but he doesn't want a bride. Other than that, there's really not much evidence.

2 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

"This fan" me? Because someone said that earlier in the thread and I ran with it. But that really makes me no better, now does it? But seriously "this fan". You quoted me so you're already speaking to me directly.

My apologies, I didn't mean to single you out. What I meant to say was fan-made, as in "made by fans" not a particular fan. I had no intentions of insulting anyone. Should have been a little clearer and less stern.

8 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Yeah it's not in the English version at least. It's probably made up if not in the Japanese version. "This fan" me? Because someone said that earlier in the thread and I ran with it. But that really makes me no better, now does it? But seriously "this fan". You quoted me so you're already speaking to me directly.

He meant this "fan-made" falsity, i.e. a falsity made by fans.

16 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My apologies, I didn't mean to single you out. What I meant to say was fan-made, as in "made by fans" not a particular fan. I had no intentions of insulting anyone. Should have been a little clearer and less stern.

10 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

He meant this "fan-made" falsity, i.e. a falsity made by fans.

TBH I was living for the shade. I don't mind people calling me out because I'm a drama whore I think I should get clarification if I'm wrong.

18 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

TBH I was living for the shade. I don't mind people calling me out because I'm a drama whore I think I should get clarification if I'm wrong.

It's okay. I also prefer for people to correct me if I'm wrong, so...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I actually like Raven, once I get him I use him....a lot. Units I tend to focus on in this game are mercs, fighters, and cavaliers (I also love using Dart). People are going to dislike characters for all kinds of reasons so unfortunately it's just one of those things. For example Gerome is not as popular as Owain, I personally like Gerome A LOT better than Owain and would have liked it if Gerome had made a guest appearance in Fates instead of Owain. I just find Gerome a more interesting character and I feel he reflects the future that he came from more realistically. Now Raven is definitely a better constructed and written character than Gerome but that is true of every GBA character vs an Awakening/Fates counterpart such as Sain is a better character than Inigo.