NA Site opened, New screenshot, More details, Rating

In another thread it was recently brought to my attention that NOA had opened up a site for the game: http://fireemblemechoes.nintendo.com/
Not much to it, as of now. The most interesting thing is a singular new screenshot:

fire-emblem-echoes-screenshot-06.jpg

It's of Alm in an early-game dungeon with a bandit having just spotted him. Not much, but it's something.

There's some more flavor text of note as well:

"A strategic mix of modern and legacy Fire Emblem gameplay..."; all but confirming that yes, there are going to be some changes to the core game.
"Fully voiced cinematics and story dialogue..."; Huh. Now why would they feel the need to specify cinematics and story dialogue if there wasn't more to it? Like, iddunno, supports?

There's some basic story info and descriptions of Alm and Celica, but the only other real thing of note is the rating:
It's T for "Alcohol Reference, Fantasy Violence, Mild Blood, Mild Language, and Suggestive Themes". Mild blood could be some scratches and stuff shown in animated cutscenes; Fates' bloodied, battle-damaged character models warranted "animated blood", and Awakening had nothing (which means the "contact sparks" from combat had nothing to do with it). Suggestive themes means either innuendos or partial nudity (yes, the ESRB has the latter as a classification as well, but they're highly inconsistent).

Thanks for the heads up.

With the updated websites and Cipher announcement, it seems like we'll be getting little snippets of info a lot more consistently now.

59 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

It's of Alm in an early-game dungeon with a bandit having just spotted him. Not much, but it's something.

Why does that bandit look like a beefier version of Gaius

28 minutes ago, Guill0 said:

The thing that I see is that there will be "Bow wielding archers"  

Well technically speaking they could also be wielding crossbows, so they had to specify which they meant

But yeah, that is kind of redundant, haha.

"Fully voiced cinematics and story dialogue..."; Huh. Now why would they feel the need to specify cinematics and story dialogue if there wasn't more to it? Like, iddunno, supports?

I imagine they're hyping it because full voice acting has never been a thing in Fire Emblem before. Not sure this points to supports 100% being in the game, but dear God, I can hope.

It's T for "Alcohol Reference, Fantasy Violence, Mild Blood, Mild Language, and Suggestive Themes". Mild blood could be some scratches and stuff shown in animated cutscenes;

Sounds about par for the course for a Fire Emblem game. Don't think it'll be anything worse than what we usually get.

Edited by Extrasolar

@Dan:

"Modern Fire Emblem gameplay" could simply be a reference to SoV having Casual Mode. Don't get your expectations up from just that.

Edited by RedEyedDrake

2 hours ago, Guill0 said:

The thing that I see is that there will be "Bow wielding archers"  

BOW WIELDING ARCHERS?!

28 minutes ago, The Geek said:

The Archer class really is made up of archers.

I also heard they use ammunition known as "arrows"

Now that the Switch is out, it seems they finally start to advertise Echoes.

Alcohol reference? Huh. That's new...I mean some characters have acted tipsy *coughShinoncough* but apparently it wasn't enough to warrant alcohol reference in the rating...

As someone who finds Henry's recruitment the most hilarious thing ever, I'm all for the innuendo. Half naked women, meh...straight female here. Obviously not everyone is though. But I wouldn't mind the opposite

9 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Alcohol reference? Huh. That's new...I mean some characters have acted tipsy *coughShinoncough* but apparently it wasn't enough to warrant alcohol reference in the rating...

As someone who finds Henry's recruitment the most hilarious thing ever, I'm all for the innuendo. Half naked women, meh...straight female here. Obviously not everyone is though. But I wouldn't mind the opposite

Saber is met drinking in a bar, so something more explicit like that would give the alcohol reference notice.

Saber was drunk during his recruitment dialogue in Gaiden, so I guess the rating implies that his alcoholism will stay.

Edit: Ninja'd

Edited by Night Zap

8 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I see! Interesting. But Shinon was very clearly drunk at one point in PoR...I wonder why no alcohol reference there?

There were direct alcoholic references in the original Japanese script (in their supports, Shinon and Gatrie talk about having to pay their bar tab, for example), but they were changed in the localization.

They still managed to include Drunk!Shinon, but never exactly said what his deal was, so younger players wouldn't necessarily pick up on it, which is probably why it wasn't mentioned in the rating. I'm glad they at least managed to get across without explicitly saying it, if that was the issue. :P:

I at least hope, that beyond everything that this game gets advertisement and maybe at least a 10 second commercial or something.  Having a lack of advertising and poor release scheduling was what almost killed the sales of the Tellius games and the franchise as a whole.  The minute they start advertising, sales are boosted like FE 4 Masterknight promotion gains.  If they put some sort of emphesis on the dungeon crawling in the adds, then it might get even more recognition from "non-FE" gamers.  I'm crossing my fingers, but..... IS is going to screw something up, I Just know it.

They really need to clarified that which side of the fandom that this game is leaning toward, I know many will be piss off if it isn't like Awakening. Hell the game is launched next month in Japan and there barely any hype being driven by Nintendo. The views on YouTube is way less than Awakening and Fates, hardly any present felt on the internet for this game. Switch is eating up all the hype right now, sending a game out like this pretty much look like Nintendo doesn't even seem to care about this game. 

57 minutes ago, Lord Tullus said:

Having a lack of advertising and poor release scheduling was what almost killed the sales of the Tellius games and the franchise as a whole.  

Almost killed? It did kill them. They sold awfully, unfortunately, as they are the best games in the series with the best plots and characters

I think they learned with Awakening, Fates, and now Echoes that when people know your game exists they get excited to buy it.

1 minute ago, Extrasolar said:

I think they learned with Awakening, Fates, and now Echoes that when people know your game exists they get excited to buy it.

I hope you are right.  I really REALLY want FE Gaiden 2 & Knuckles to do well, but I get this feeling in my gut that tells me that we won't be seeing much of classic FE style for a long time after this.  I want to be happy and upbeat for this game, but it's just so difficult for me.... ya know?

1 minute ago, Lord Tullus said:

I hope you are right.  I really REALLY want FE Gaiden 2 & Knuckles to do well, but I get this feeling in my gut that tells me that we won't be seeing much of classic FE style for a long time after this.  I want to be happy and upbeat for this game, but it's just so difficult for me.... ya know?

I know what you mean. I'm hoping it does well too, and hope we get a return to the pre-children days...but keep pair up, because that's fun and provides some more depth to combat.

Also if this game does well we might get our full HD Jugdral remake and localization on the Switch with full voice acting and animated cutscenes and then I can die happy

2 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Also if this game does well we might get our full HD Jugdral remake and localization on the Switch with full voice acting and animated cutscenes and then I can die happy

Anything resembling the Magic animations from FE 4 in stunning HD would make me have a heart attack.  A good one, mind you.

Edited by Lord Tullus

6 minutes ago, Lord Tullus said:

Anything resembling the Magic animations from FE 4 in stunning HD would make me have a heart attack.  A good one, mind you.

They'd have to be just as awe-inspiring as the bigger tomes from RD. Granted, they could get overly-long at times, but damn they were pretty-looking. *_*

6 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

They'd have to be just as awe-inspiring as the bigger tomes from RD. Granted, they could get overly-long at times, but damn they were pretty-looking. *_*

Include the fast-forward button from Awakening and Fates. I use that just about all the time in those games.

19 hours ago, RedEyedDrake said:

@Dan:

"Modern Fire Emblem gameplay" could simply be a reference to SoV having Casual Mode. Don't get your expectations up from just that.

But then why would they focus on permadeath as well? At least it means certain archaisms such as healers not getting experience from healing, no preparations screen, and so on (yes, I've seen people scared that even that stuff will remain untouched) will be changed.

We waited for THIS? Hopefully this means advertising will go up, since we only have a little over a month for the Japanese release. But seriously only one screenshot and being told that archers wield bows?

Really? Am I being too unreasonable though (I can be)

@Dan:

To assure us that it is still in. "Casual Mode is a given, permadeath is not and the consumers need to be notified that it is still present (at least as an option)" is what I'm getting from it.