Trying to come up with a Fire Emblem Board Game

KadenTheKitsune

Hi guys!

I'm trying to come up with a Fire Emblem Board Game. I am still trying to plan everything out.

Do you guys have any advice on any aspect of the game (characters, stats, skills, story line, etc.) Please help! I need some ideas!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

well I think for a board game it should be like Player vs AI in co-op mission Style.

You could try to implement it with skills like how D&D does it.
or give certain characters certain skills anyway and make people chose from the start trying to make it with that character all the way to the end.

In the case of dmg and def, I'd go with dice rolls for hit miss and dmg calculations. the weapon triangle could be included for a certain "hard" mode, but exclude it for casual (and to save calculating dmg times)

I'd say you could use existing characters from various games and treat it kinda like heroes does, just on slightly bigger maps? maybe with reinforcements and stuff.

A board game for FE to me closely resembles something like that, there's a star wars game like that, as well as Mechs & Minions that kinda does this kind of game.
there might be better examples out there though.

A D&D style board game would be cool indeed. 
You could give the player the choice of any 1st Tier class (Cavalier, Archer, Merc, etc.), and make them gain 10exp for fight, 30exp for kill. Drop some promotion items along the way, and you've got a great game there already.

Since D&D was always about creating your own adventure, be creative!

What Trymer said before me would be best aswell.

instead of doing dmg based rolls you could also do hit based rolls like in FE.
and somewhat simplify the formula's used in the games.

as an idea/example:

Hit when: Weapon Hit - Enemy Avoid + D100 (which are basically D10 with added 0) = or > 100

you could also average out 2 D100's in this formula. and have skills like "Certain Blow" add 2 D20 values flat and have "-breaker" skills  just subtract a whole dice from being thrown.

you could do the same for activating things like Sol (throw a dice corresponding closest to the amount of skill the person has (D10/D12/D16/D20) and see if it matches atleast the activation rate).
problem I see there though is that you can't get it perfect percentage wise to the game :/ certainly when the skill stat passes the 20 mark. I haven't thought out how to fix that ^^"

To make a perfect fe board game, it would have to be chess like, but with each peace having a D&D character sheet with skills, weapons, and class.

One player would be the DM/GM or i guess in this case the Emblem master.

They would control the enemies,and other soldiers, and what the map looks like, while one or more would be the army of pc's or the other if you want.

Make cards representing weapons and items: when a player opens a chest or visits a village, they draw a card and obtain the corresponding item for free, when visiting a shop, 3 or 5 are drawn and can be purchased.

Of course, make more iron swords than... Idk, promotion items and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Chess already exists, sorry!

I think, if we're looking at something similar to D&D, you could potentially use any unit from any game (and even new ones), so long as the GM can come up with their stats etc.

As for 'default' units, which would be the examples on what the GM and players could make for PC's and bosses, I'd suggest splitting them as evenly as possible among the major classes:

Sword fighters: Marth, Chrom, Ike, Lyn.

Lance fighters: Eiphrim, Abel, Azura, Donnel.

Axe fighters: Anna, Hector, Uh... Does ANYONE use an axe on foot?!

Caviliers: Eliwood, Frederick, Bord/Cord, Cain.

Knights: Draug, Uhh... Oh, great. Not this again...

Fliers: Est, Camilla, Hinoka, Caeda

Mages: Henry (What? He's my favorite character), Merric, Nino, Leo

Archers: Takumi, Uh... A THIRD class I can't think of any famous units for?!

Healers: Lissa, Elise, Sakura, Priscilla

Thieves/Ninja: Jaffar, Kaze, Kellam, Tina

Dragons: Tiki, Corrin, Nowi, Ninian

On 20.03.2017 at 7:29 PM, The_antithesis said:

Axe fighters: Anna, Hector, Uh... Does ANYONE use an axe on foot?!

Barst, Nolan

Knights: Draug, Uhh... Oh, great. Not this again...

Dalsin (Axe), Oswin (Lance), Meg (Sword)

Archers: Takumi, Uh... A THIRD class I can't think of any famous units for?!

Gordin, Wolt, Shinon

Dragons: Tiki, Corrin, Nowi, Ninian

If anything Myrrh will fit more than Corrin, seeing as how Corrin is not purely a manakete classwise

Ok, so I've actually had ideas about something like this for, like, forever. So let me throw this out there in case y'all want some help.

For a Fire Emblem TableTop RPG, you would need to decide what classes you wanna use.

Personally, I would go for a system that abolishes weapon groups as we really know them. Rather, you would have class "bases" that allow you to add weapon groups onto them.

Example class bases could be things like:
Lord - A noble with high luck, and extra free stat points. (Has no particular strong point, but gives the player more freedom. I'll discuss this a bit more when I talk about stats.) Recieves one weapon group.
Mercenary - A fighter who loves their brawn and their gold. Has high Strength and Speed. Recieves one weapon group at start.
Scholar - A person of the mind who pursues knowledge relentlessly. High Magic and Skill. Recieves one weapon group at start, but acquires more with level.  (As opposed to just at promotion. Potentially could acquire every weapon group in the game if you play your cards right when purchasing skills.)
Cavalier - A person of high rank, trained in the art of horse riding. Has high Movement and well-balanced stats. Recieves two weapon groups at start. (Note that anyone could probably buy and ride a horse. Cavaliers just recieve bonuses from it. They could dismount and lose their bonus, but continue fighting.)

And so on. So, for example, if I want to make a Healer character somewhat like Mist. I could make a Scholar and give them the Staff weapon group. As they level, they could also unlock swords for self-defense.

If I want to make the Cain for the Bull and Panther archetypes, I could create a Cavalier and apply some of the extra stat points (Once again, discussed momentarily) into strength. But I don't want this bull to use Swords or Lances. I want his to use Axes, and bows. Well, I could elect to have him use those weapon groups when I create him. Or he could use... say... Dark magic and Thunder Magic. Or Axes and Thunder. You can do anything you want in this system, alloweing for an endless mix of class features and weapons.

Now, let's move on to stats. This is honestly the part I've thought about the least, and could use the most work.

In this system, Stats would work similarly, yet differently.

HP: Ok, this works the same.
Strength: Also the same. Strength + Weapon Might = Damage Dealt. 
Magic: See Strength.
Skill: Each point of skill translates into 5% extra hit on top of the hit chance from your weapon. Also adds 1% to crit chance for each point.
Speed: Each point of speed translates into 5% avoid chance, on top of whatever bonuses your weapon might give you. Also determines if you double the opponent. The exact number would need to be checked for balance, just like every number on here.
Luck: Does a little bit of everything. Each point adds 1% to your Avoid Chance, your Hit Chance, and also decreases your opponent's crit chance by 1%. 
Defense: Decreases Damage. 
Resistance: Decreases Damage.

You would have all of that on your character sheet, and then another section where it would list your Damage, Hit, Avoid, Crit, and Crit Avoid. On the online stat sheet I'm envisioning, these would be automaticall updated depending on the weapon you mark as equipped, but on paper you would have to either have another sheet to mark your full stats with each weapon, or do these calculations on the fly. 

When engaging in combat, you need a D100 to roll twice. Once for the attackers hit, and once for the crit. (You could opt to not roll crit if it's obvious there will be little chance of a crit.) If the number is higher than Attacker's hit-foes Avo, then the attack is a miss. If it is equal or lower, the attack lands. Same for Crits. 

This could probably be simplified and streamlined, but I was hoping to be as faithful as possible without making things too complicated. I recognize that the amount of calculating is potentially annoying still. So I'm crossing my fingers one of you have a method of simplification.

Weapons would have MT, Hit, Crit, Avo, and probably not weight. Instead, I would go with the fates system of merely subtracting effective speed for higher level weapons. (Note that the fates negatives only apply to speed when checking if units will double attack.) I wouldn't apply restrictions like the silver weapons, rather every weapon would have a speed negative. Weapon ranks would not exist, rather, weapons would have a minimum level limit. Characters must meet this level in order to weild the weapon.

Now for all these weird stat bonuses I'm talking about. At character creation, you would be able to apply bonuses to your stats to further make your character your own, and seperate them from a generic Sword Mercenary. More important stats like Speed could cost more points than less important ones like luck. These costs would also have to be balanced.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. (Then again, these are all just ideas I'm throwing out, you can ignore them if you like.)

If someone actually wants to develop a Fire Emblem tabletop, I'd love to help out! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Edited by dominoThief

I think it ceases to be a Fire Emblem board game if you don't use classes and weapon types from the series.

BTW, I actually did make a Fire Emblem board game and tested it quite a bit some time ago, that's where the card idea comes from. It's very intuitive, really, it's just that it feels like a tabletop rpg but with just the fighting part, and that's really underwhelming. It's like D&D but worse. It will probably be pretty fun for FE fans though.

Edited by Enaluxeme

22 hours ago, Enaluxeme said:

I think it ceases to be a Fire Emblem board game if you don't use classes and weapon types from the series.

BTW, I actually did make a Fire Emblem board game and tested it quite a bit some time ago, that's where the card idea comes from. It's very intuitive, really, it's just that it feels like a tabletop rpg but with just the fighting part, and that's really underwhelming. It's like D&D but worse. It will probably be pretty fun for FE fans though.

Well, with the TTRPG idea, it would have more added than just the fighting, though it would have much more focus on the fights. Ideally you could utilize the skill system (Which could work more like feats in a typical rpg) to allow characters to do things like in a typical ttrpg. For example people with high speed could aquire a skill allowing them to accomplish acrobatic tasks like jumping onto rooftops and fighting from above and stuff. There would be some out of battle scenes, but most huge encounter/dungeon settings would be organized like typical FE "Chapters". Everything else would be the between the chapter talking.

I'm not saying this rpg would have to use exclusively FE systems. It needs adaptation, but I think FE adapts remarkably well.

As for classes, the point of having the bases is so that you can essentially make your own class. You could still create, for example, a typical myrmidon character, but this also allows for the creation of crazy, unlikely classes. Like... say... Axes and Light Magic. It's to allow for a degree of freedom in creating your own class for your character. Do what feels right for them, you know? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking a lot of these ideas so far. Probably add some bosses and make the board size bigger, maybe even make a few more for variety's sake, but if I were you, I'd base them off of the more famous maps in the franchise such as Marth Embarks (Chapter 1 of Shadow Dragon) and The Verge of History (Prologue of Awakening).

Also, some boss characters would be nice, such as Camus, Gharnef, Michalis, Medeus (Earth Dragon form), Reptor, Langbart, Arvis, Julius, Batta, and so on.

Maybe for multiplayer battles, bring out some maps from Genealogy of the Holy War and give each player control of a castle, make the objective to seize all castles. Teams without any castles automatically lose. Make boss characters playable as well, just for the sake of pulling all the stops and making it more fun in the process. Also, maybe do something in the manner of the Street Fighter II board game and make the characters cardboard cutouts that attach to plastic pieces and make everyone find cards of their playable characters, and so on.

Also, everyone should have access to a Lord, too, and make it so that only the Lord may seize castles in FE4 Maps, and so on. That's all I can really contribute to, hope it helps some!