A thought about Kellam

So, I was just chatting with a friend about promotions and a thought of something about Kellam's quirk popped up.

If he's promoted to Great Knight, lorewise would his horse gain his quirk or would everyone see a seemingly stray horse on the battlefield?

The second idea is a lot funnier.

"Milord, that horse is alone on the battlefield!"

"Well get it out of there!"

"But milord, it's beating all the enemies on its own!" 

1 hour ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

Pretty much what I was going to say. XD

Who's Kellam?

1 hour ago, YouSquiddinMe said:

That's hilarious, and I could totally see that happening in the games.

I think his quirk of being unnoticable is kinda...unrealistic. He's a big armor knight. How could you miss him? I mean he's quiet and softspoken, but that doesn't mean he's literally invisible.

But I do lol at that stray horse kicking butt on its own.

7 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I think his quirk of being unnoticable is kinda...unrealistic. He's a big armor knight. How could you miss him? I mean he's quiet and softspoken, but that doesn't mean he's literally invisible.

If I had to guess, it's that he never makes his presence known nor does he do anything that makes him particularly stand out. So he just kinda fades into the background and is regularly forgotten about. It's suggested that there's lots of knights and the like patrolling the camp as well, so I'd guess that they probably just defaultly assume that it's someone else. At least for the most part.

His upright invisibility... could prove that he's a Silence? Maybe? Or he has a perception filter forged in to his armour...

1 hour ago, Light Strategist said:

If I had to guess, it's that he never makes his presence known nor does he do anything that makes him particularly stand out. So he just kinda fades into the background and is regularly forgotten about. It's suggested that there's lots of knights and the like patrolling the camp as well, so I'd guess that they probably just defaultly assume that it's someone else. At least for the most part.

Yeah, this.

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Yeah... Kind of overblown gag that wasn't all that funny, imo. At least when Genealogy did the whole "nondescript and overlooked armor knight" joke with Arden, he wasn't literally disappearing from peoples' view. And just as you pointed out, the guy's armor is gigantic. What, are people on the battlefield just suddenly running into giant, hard-as-metal invisible obstructions? Why have more people not started freaking out fighting him?

3 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Yeah... Kind of overblown gag that wasn't all that funny, imo. At least when Genealogy did the whole "nondescript and overlooked armor knight" joke with Arden, he wasn't literally disappearing from peoples' view. And just as you pointed out, the guy's armor is gigantic. What, are people on the battlefield just suddenly running into giant, hard-as-metal invisible obstructions? Why have more people not started freaking out fighting him?

I think the point of the humor is in the ridiculousness of it.  IIRC, the other characters, and Kellam, mention it.  Everyone's sense of humor is different, but I don't see why Kellam's quirk has to be "realistic" to be funny.  I laughed on a couple of occasions because I felt bad for Kellam.  It would only be made worse if people ended up talking to Kellam's horse, or thanking the horse for the help instead of Kellam.  *ouch*

Just now, Spoiler Alert said:

I think the point of the humor is in the ridiculousness of it.  IIRC, the other characters, and Kellam, mention it.  Everyone's sense of humor is different, but I don't see why Kellam's quirk has to be "realistic" to be funny.  I laughed on a couple of occasions because I felt bad for Kellam.  It would only be made worse if people ended up talking to Kellam's horse, or thanking the horse for the help instead of Kellam.  *ouch*

But Awakening lives and breathes ridiculous humor, so it's not funny just because it's ridiculous. Imo it's at the point where you become desensitized to it, and then it just becomes silly in a bad way. Then there's the fact that Kellam has very little personality outside of his "quirk"...

2 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

But Awakening lives and breathes ridiculous humor, so it's not funny just because it's ridiculous. Imo it's at the point where you become desensitized to it, and then it just becomes silly in a bad way. Then there's the fact that Kellam has very little personality outside of his "quirk"...

Um, I disagree, but I'll reply properly in a PM a bit later.

I can see this happening since even personal possessions of Kellam end up lacking presence and thus become overlooked -- just look at Kellam's in-battle dialogue in the Golden Gaffe DLC.

The changeup in character personalities that Awakening brought to FE reminds me a bit of Rune Factory 1&2 vs. 3.

In all RF games the characters are anime, but there is difference. In RF1 and 2, the characters have their quirks and tropes, but things are kept relatively mellow and mild. (Well RF1 is more like everyone is totally bland, the result of it being the first game in the series. They spent so much time trying to lay the (inferior to every game in the series since) foundations for combat, crafting and dungeons that village life was horribly neglected.) In RF3, you've got "Hey wanna shot?" "Rainbow!" "I hate you!" Plus the innocent mermaid girl obsessed with squid, and your obligatory distinctly Asian gal being as money obsessed as post-Awakening Anna.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, like with Fire Emblem, the change was sudden, radical, and I'd say it's questionable whether it was good or not. The benefit is that there is a niche group who'll eat this stuff up no matter the cost, and it allows for characters who are very distinct. The problem is a wider audience might be turned off by these outrageous personalities and who'll criticize these "distinct" characters as lacking real complexity or depth; all pizazz, no substance.

12 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

I think his supports with Muriel attempt to discover why he is so unnoticeable, but I don't think she came up with a reason- just a way to see him without him disappearing. And yes, it is quite ridiculous, but I still found it funny. In terms of humor, he's one of my favorites from the series, alongside Henry, Arthur, and L'Arachel.

14 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

But I do lol at that stray horse kicking butt on its own.

Actually, I found his quirk strangely true-to-life.  When I worked as a stocker, I found that trying to stay unnoticed (like when I was trying to make it to the clock to punch out, for instance) would result in every customer suddenly thinking I was the only person in the store who could help them, and actually standing in line to pester me rather than asking another employee standing five feet away, stifling a laugh at my predicament.  Meanwhile, in cases where one would reasonably expect to be easily noticed, and in which I wanted to be noticed (like when carrying several large, heavy boxes and asking people to please just take one small step aside so I could pass), people tended to be completely oblivious (and genuinely surprised if they ever did finally notice me).

So yeah, Kellam's quirk is played up a little bit, but I don't find it to be as unrealistic as some seem to think it is.

I believe the upcoming Cipher set has two more-or-less identical cards with Kellam in them - except one shows a scene of chaos, and the other shows Kellam.  My guess is that people just don't notice him, though it's played up A LOT in the games/lore.

If he had a horse, they'd probably not notice the horse, either.

3 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Actually, I found his quirk strangely true-to-life.  When I worked as a stocker, I found that trying to stay unnoticed (like when I was trying to make it to the clock to punch out, for instance) would result in every customer suddenly thinking I was the only person in the store who could help them, and actually standing in line to pester me rather than asking another employee standing five feet away, stifling a laugh at my predicament.  Meanwhile, in cases where one would reasonably expect to be easily noticed, and in which I wanted to be noticed (like when carrying several large, heavy boxes and asking people to please just take one small step aside so I could pass), people tended to be completely oblivious (and genuinely surprised if they ever did finally notice me).

So yeah, Kellam's quirk is played up a little bit, but I don't find it to be as unrealistic as some seem to think it is.

I see! That's interesting. But are you a big bulky person or no?

3 hours ago, JJ48 said:

I can relate.  Although working in a locked down psych ward doesn't offer many places to hide, when I did do something awesome no one would be nearby to witness. There are also times where I do tend to sneak up on people without intentionally doing so.  Some even joked that if I didn't have my keys dangling, they wouldn't know I would be nearby.  Hell, I even scare my sister-in-law sometimes because she doesn't notice that I'm around the house.

And of course Kellam's quirk of not being noticed is played up, a lot of Awakening characters are exaggerated after all.  But I find it pretty funny and relateable to myself.

I'm also in the camp that Kellam's horse would just be an ally that people are puzzled about as it seemingly is attacking enemies.  But it could also be questioned that would the horse also notice Kellam or not?