Legendary Weapons

Naglfar94

Heya guys so there has been a question that has been bugging me for the longest legendary weapons the Fire Emblem series as a whole is filled with many of them. But Then when Fire Emblem:Genealogy of the Holy War came along it seemed like legendary weapons went through a major change that change being they are all very powerful with all of them having 30 Might and either +10 or +20 stat boosts.

But after Tharcia 776 that was the last time we saw truly epic legendary weapons. My question is how did you guys feel about them? And would you like to see that come back? For me the answer is yes of all the FE games I feel Genealogy of the Holy War and to an extent Thracia 776 (cause Holsety) handled them best. It feels like in later Fire Emblem games the legendary weapons became...pointless they are way too weak like in the games canon they are said to be powerful but when you get them they are weak as heck. Take FE7 for example Athos his Fortblaze I get it after all the hyping up was put into it and stat wise it isn`t that impressive the other weapons on that very same chapter overpower it easily or heck a weaker tome like Elfire can work just as affective as it does. Sword of Seals I`ll cut the weapons some slack as I believe it was mentioned in game that due to the weapons by then being so old they are weaker than they were when they were first used so I`ll let those ones slide (because canonically they were supposed to be weaker.) But other ones they seemed well ehh..pretty underwhelming.

When i play FE4 everytime I get one of the weapons and the epic glow starts up I always get the feeling of excitement and their power canon wise and stats wise both show in game they truly felt powerful and worth using them like I wouldn`t opt for using a silver sword over say the Mistletainn of given the choice. Or get the weapons and just dump them into storage never to be used no I wanted to use them. And they really felt legendary when used when I see a holy weapon in FE4 or FE5 (Holsety) I am like holy crap! ''input name'' or I am actually afraid of the unit that uses it. remember when Eltshan popped up on the battlefield to fight you? When he and his knights came out I was legit scared as heck because I knew he was a true threat with that sword of his.

I know it is possible to kill him still but man is it gonna be a rough fight or Ishtar coming along with Thor Hammer I dread fighting her everytime because she is dang fearsome with the tome that barely ever misses not even Holsety is saving ya. So I miss that feeling they once gave of truly ultimate weapons. It felt great getting them and it was truly scary when you had to fight against them. A few weapons do come close though Lyon`s Naglfar tome if I am not mistaken had a nice big fat 25 Might on it but it lacked the stat boost ups. I think the Demon Kings weapons kinda mirrored weapons from FE4 and FE5 Demon Light gave a few +10`s I think but lacked the power Naglfar was still stronger attack wise. So ya what do you guys think? 

Did they feel too OP for you? Or were they just right with that setup where you wouldn`t just pick a silver sword or something over that weapon and have it be just as affective in use. I saw in Fire Emblem Awakening said weapons did return but they were only there in name only :( they got badly nerfed stat wise seems like we won`t ever experience grand weapons ever again anytime soon. Atleast there are no legendary weapons as weak as Falchion though the blade that was made out to be so mighty but when you get it only 10 might on that thing...pretty upsetting that a silver sword once more is better.

Holy weapons were awesome indeed in FE4.

While I would rather not make them too OP  because the holsety havoc was just way too strong  , but not as weak as the ones in later games.

So, yes, I would like them to come back. With probably more uses than 20 and less than 50.

Personally, I think Forblaze was a poor example - I would've mentioned Durandal or the Sol Katti, both of which are just plain impractical to use thanks to being too heavy for their wielders. Naglfar is another such weapon.

That said, I say no to legendary weapons being on the level that they were in FE4.

10 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Holy weapons were awesome indeed in FE4.

While I would rather not make them too OP  because the holsety havoc was just way too strong  , but not as weak as the ones in later games.

So, yes, I would like them to come back. With probably more uses than 20 and less than 50.

Haha Lol yeah Holsety that one is just so win havoc indeed. I remember I used to always have Levin and Sety just take on whole armies alone. So long as they were not dealing with Gungnir, Thor Hammer, Fala Flame and Loptousu all was quite okay. Hmm maybe about 30 uses would be great for the holy weapons if they were to return in later FE games. I think the only reason they all had 50 uses was due to the giant map sizes. We haven`t seen giant sized maps in FE since then so about 30 uses would be good.

5 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Personally, I think Forblaze was a poor example - I would've mentioned Durandal or the Sol Katti, both of which are just plain impractical to use thanks to being too heavy for their wielders. Naglfar is another such weapon.

That said, I say no to legendary weapons being on the level that they were in FE4.

Yeah ugh Durandal and Sol Katti were terrible. I used to have Lyn and Eliwood pretty much sit the chapter out due to their weapons and to an extent Hector too Armads is just insane. A Hector with good speed can make Armads work though. I just slapped the Mani Katti on Lyn on that chapter the Mani Katti works better yet it is supposed to be weaker Lol.

Haha and I see too OP for ya in FE4 eh? I personally liked them that way and since the enemies had them too it sorta evened out the playing field since the player could never obtain all of them.

I'd say keep things balanced and avoid making legendary weapons so brokenly powerful.

As for the thing about enemies getting Holy Weapons in Gen 2 Jugdral which some people like to counter with- how many instances are there really? I mean I haven't actually played the Genealogy, but sedentary bosses are by their sedentary nature generally easy. Aren't Ishtar and Arion the only moving Holy Weapon users?

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd say keep things balanced and avoid making legendary weapons so brokenly powerful.

As for the thing about enemies getting Holy Weapons in Gen 2 Jugdral which some people like to counter with- how many instances are there really? I mean I haven't actually played the Genealogy, but sedentary bosses are by their sedentary nature generally easy. Aren't Ishtar and Arion the only moving Holy Weapon users?

Nope we have Arion, Ishtar, Yurius, Alvis and Bloom for a short while before passing it off to Ishtar ah and Burian with the Swanchika. So we have quite a few there. Ishtar ccan kill nearly anyone easy even your Holsety user. And so can Alvis I tried using the might Holsety against him and it don`t work best to just slowly beat him with Celice`s special sword. So it generally balanced out. Oh wait forgot one as he counts too in the 1st gen depending on what you do you gotta deal with Eltshan and his weapon if you choose to fight him or his sister died or something.

7 hours ago, Naglfar94 said:

Hmm maybe about 30 uses would be great for the holy weapons if they were to return in later FE games. I think the only reason they all had 50 uses was due to the giant map sizes. We haven`t seen giant sized maps in FE since then so about 30 uses would be good.

But the game has the weapon repairing system, so there's not really much of a reason to have 50 uses holy weapons when they can get repaired. Then again, they are expensive to repair, so that may be the other reason as to why they have more uses.

13 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Personally, I think Forblaze was a poor example - I would've mentioned Durandal or the Sol Katti

B-but dude...those animations look cool.

Sure, the're heavy but come on, that's the whole point of them..legendary weapons. 

My personal favorites are Durandal and Mystolin.

15 hours ago, Harvey said:

B-but dude...those animations look cool.

Sure, the're heavy but come on, that's the whole point of them..legendary weapons. 

My personal favorites are Durandal and Mystolin.

Which doesn't even come close to making up for the fact that trying to use them is shooting yourself in the foot. A Silver sword or Killing Edge tends to yield comparable, if not better, results. And honestly, being a legendary weapon doesn't justify being heavy to the point of unusability.

22 hours ago, Naglfar94 said:

Haha and I see too OP for ya in FE4 eh? I personally liked them that way and since the enemies had them too it sorta evened out the playing field since the player could never obtain all of them.

That's just one of the things about FE4 that I take issue with, of which there are many. Also, I wouldn't say that the enemy having access to them as well "evens out the playing field".

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I think the way Holy Weapons should be stat-wise depends heavily on what exactly they're going for in the lore. The Holy Weapons of Jugdral are god-created weapons meant to give humans the power to directly combat an immense, extremely powerful dragon and his army of crazy dark mages, and thus, their ridiculous stat gains make sense and are justified. Now, sure, not the most balanced thing in gameplay ever, but there are certain units that are meant to just be superior to others lorewise. And if you still wanted to balance, I'd say just make them unavailable until endgame, where you're supposed to feel like a badass that's conquered armies that stood in your way.

I never liked holy weapons having limited uses. These are amazingly powerful magical weapons passed down the generations...but you can only use it 30 times before the power inside mysteriously wears out. What? Not to mention, I think it's lame how that a lot of the time, they're comparable or even inferior to normal weaponry.

Unlimited use holy weapons is the way to go for me. I think Ragnell did it perfectly, in that it's an extremely strong weapon with unlimited uses, but doesn't break POR because you only get it at the very end.

1 hour ago, Extrasolar said:

I think Ragnell did it perfectly, in that it's an extremely strong weapon with unlimited uses, but doesn't break POR because you only get it at the very end.

It is interesting to note that Ragnell has the same (18 might +5 Def) or slightly inferior (hit, crit, +5 Res on the BB and plus its healing power) stats and bonuses as the Binding Blade, with similar availability in PoR. And yet Ragnell is just infinitely better with its infinite uses; whereas the BB's 20 uses and Roy's inability to OHKO many things (I expect) limits you to like 10 kills with the thing. (You're better off saving Hammerne for Durandal or something.) Plus, Ike promotes way earlier.