• Announcements

• Tangerine

Scribbles Gallery is up! Check out all of the great submissions before voting begins!   03/22/17

Hey everyone, we've finally gotten the gallery up and ready for viewing, be sure to check out all of the great submissions the FE community sent in before voting begins! LINK TO GALLERY: https://serenesforest.net/scribbles/serenes-forest-scribbles-2016-entries/ MORE INFO ON SCRIBBLES & DISCUSSION THREAD: ----- If you're one of our entrants and we missed something involving your entry (a description, name, etc) just send me a PM and let me know! And nice job everyone, great year of entries :P:.
FoliFF

Can one hope for a port to Switch?

15 posts in this topic

Sadly I never bought a Wii U while I was very close to buying one mainly thanks to Xenoblade Chronicles X and TMS #FE but decided not to since I wanted to wait for the Switch to be announced at the time. Seeing that Switch are getting several ports from Wii U era can one hope for TMS being ported over to Switch or to some other console or PC, while very unlikely but you can dream right?

It's a real shame really since I really want to play this game but fuck I'm not buying a console for one game especially a console that have now ended it's production. And sadly I don't have a friend that owns a Wii U that I can borrow either :/

Now I don't know how well TMS did here in the west but I do know it did horrible back in Japan so I'm just curious what the chances are for a port since imho I think it deserve a second chance considering it got released at the end of Wii U life cycle...

It didn't do fantastically over here either. I wouldn't count on a remake/port/whatever.

Doubtful.  Xenoblade X and TMS utilizes the gamepad stuff a lot so they are probably gonna have to rework the UI a lot to get it working on the switch.  Not to mention TMS did awful in all regions.

I hardly ever met anyone that even played it.

Figured as much... Still I hope we get a port/remake in due time even if it sold poorly both in West and domestic since this is one game I really want to play... Which is kinda weird considering for the most part I have heard and read positive reviews on the game.

I guess the prejudices and failed launch windows are big factors in this... Well I hope this gets good enough of a cult following so it can get a second chance. If not the game itself but its sequel, I guess.

34 minutes ago, kingddd said:

Doubtful.  Xenoblade X and TMS utilizes the gamepad stuff a lot so they are probably gonna have to rework the UI a lot to get it working on the switch.  Not to mention TMS did awful in all regions.

I hardly ever met anyone that even played it.

Now I don't know how much Xenoblade utilizes the gamepad comparably to the TMS but seeing that Xenoblade is getting a port to the switch this summer so fixing up the UI shouldn't be to hard. Granted I don't know how much work goes into UI during porting process, especially when there are second screen involved like here. And the fact that Xenoblade got released earlier and probably even more complex than TMS. Either way I with my uneducated understanding of porting shouldn't be that much harder to do it. Still I guess Nintendo doesn't want to waste any more resources on a "failure" of a game.

sigh I'll just watch some lets play on TMS even though I despise to do just that instead of playing the game myself :/

Edited by FoliFF

3 hours ago, FoliFF said:

Figured as much... Still I hope we get a port/remake in due time even if it sold poorly both in West and domestic since this is one game I really want to play... Which is kinda weird considering for the most part I have heard and read positive reviews on the game.

I guess the prejudices and failed launch windows are big factors in this... Well I hope this gets good enough of a cult following so it can get a second chance. If not the game itself but its sequel, I guess.

Now I don't know how much Xenoblade utilizes the gamepad comparably to the TMS but seeing that Xenoblade is getting a port to the switch this summer so fixing up the UI shouldn't be to hard. Granted I don't know how much work goes into UI during porting process, especially when there are second screen involved like here. And the fact that Xenoblade got released earlier and probably even more complex than TMS. Either way I with my uneducated understanding of porting shouldn't be that much harder to do it. Still I guess Nintendo doesn't want to waste any more resources on a "failure" of a game.

sigh I'll just watch some lets play on TMS even though I despise to do just that instead of playing the game myself :/

The so called Xenoblade X getting a port to switch is only a rumor at this point and it's not even a confirmed work.

Xenoblade X uses the gamepad for the following:

Map System
Mining Resources
Fast Travelling
Notification System
Online message Typing
Doing Avatar Character Emotes

While some of these are in the original, almost 30% of my experience is looking at the gamepad and they all utilize the touchscreen in some very convenient way.  So Docking the system on the switch would through out the touch screen utilization and therefore require more work on the controllers to remap all those systems.  Not to mention pretty much all the buttons in the game are already occupied and would make the experience really inconvenient.  So a lot of reworks will have to be made to make the game work on the switch.  X is a much more complex game so I don't expect a summer port this early at all.

TMS is not as bad as it's mostly text messaging and the map system but even that will probably require a significant amount of retooling to get it working on a single screen prompt probably as a pause screen.

So I'm not saying it's an impossibility it's just don't expect a thorough immediate ports of the game immediately especially considering the amount they have to revamp.

19 minutes ago, kingddd said:

The so called Xenoblade X getting a port to switch is only a rumor at this point and it's not even a confirmed work.

Xenoblade X uses the gamepad for the following:

Map System
Mining Resources
Fast Travelling
Notification System
Online message Typing
Doing Avatar Character Emotes

While some of these are in the original, almost 30% of my experience is looking at the gamepad and they all utilize the touchscreen in some very convenient way.  So Docking the system on the switch would through out the touch screen utilization and therefore require more work on the controllers to remap all those systems.  Not to mention pretty much all the buttons in the game are already occupied and would make the experience really inconvenient.  So a lot of reworks will have to be made to make the game work on the switch.  X is a much more complex game so I don't expect a summer port this early at all.

TMS is not as bad as it's mostly text messaging and the map system but even that will probably require a significant amount of retooling to get it working on a single screen prompt probably as a pause screen.

So I'm not saying it's an impossibility it's just don't expect a thorough immediate ports of the game immediately especially considering the amount they have to revamp.

I could have sworn that I read it was confirmed for summer release although the port would be outsourced and not done by Monolith. Although looking it up now I see it was just a rumour indeed. Well thanks for correcting me on that. Could be that I possibility mixed it up with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 since as far I know it's slated to be release this year. 

Also thanks for giving me the insight the differences how these two games uses the gamepad. And trust me I know as much as the next guy that the probability getting a port is very slim. It's just when I heard that Switch will indeed get ports of some of Wii U library I'm just hoping the games I was most looking forward will get ported over in the near future.

6 minutes ago, FoliFF said:

I could have sworn that I read it was confirmed for summer release although the port would be outsourced and not done by Monolith. Although looking it up now I see it was just a rumour indeed. Well thanks for correcting me on that. Could be that I possibility mixed it up with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 since as far I know it's slated to be release this year. 

Also thanks for giving me the insight the differences how these two games uses the gamepad. And trust me I know as much as the next guy that the probability getting a port is very slim. It's just when I heard that Switch will indeed get ports of some of Wii U library I'm just hoping the games I was most looking forward will get ported over in the near future.

No problem.  No matter how much everyone talks about ports, the UI is the biggest problem that imo will probably require a lot of work to retool.  Mario Kart 8 was much easier to port considering majority of the game doesn't even utilize the gamepad at all.  I personally would love to have TMS and Xenoblade X on the go as I love both games too.

I'll be honest, TMS #FE was the only reason I was considering a wii-u as well (that and WWHD, MK8,, Splatoon, TPHD, and pokken) but I decided to wait given the switch (still called NX) was being rumored a lot more. I hope they can port it despite how hard it would be. TBH I would hope they either add a disc drive accessory so the games can be read and possibly release a new controller with it as well. If they do port it with a switch cartridge or have it on VC then I feel like a special controller would be fine for it. Now you might think that would be way overkill, and it could be. But Nintendo is pushing the switch the be played however way you like it (joycons in each hand, joycons on the switch tablet part, joycons on the normal controller, and the pro controller) plus going back to the wii-u Pokken had it's own special controller as well. Plus if we go back two-three generations ago, the OG wii was able to play gamecube games provided a gamecube controller was plugged into it. And the gamecube itself could do the same thing with GBAS for a few games (mainly 4 swords if memory is right) and tbh redesigning the interface may be time consuming but could work, though with how obscure the game is pretty much, it would be low on the list when compared to mario maker, xenoblade X, and many other titles.

I'd totally hope for it to being ported or get a VC version. Thinking about it, it might be really simple to transfer the gamepad content to the tv screen with a quick access button. The only thing you need the gamepad on TMS is for chat conversations, map layout, character and enemy status and stats, and this can all be moved to the screen.

I'll be shocked if the game even receives official recognition again outside of being explicitly asked about.

8 hours ago, The DanMan said:

I'll be shocked if the game even receives official recognition again outside of being explicitly asked about.

It's currently being featured on My Nintendo as one of the discounted games alongside Mario Kart 8 and Majora's Mask 3D.

1 minute ago, Jave said:

It's currently being featured on My Nintendo as one of the discounted games alongside Mario Kart 8 and Majora's Mask 3D.

"Discounted".
Either way, what I meant was that I doubt it'll ever receive a re-release or recognition in other crossovers (Smash, FEWarriors).

Just now, The DanMan said:

"Discounted".
Either way, what I meant was that I doubt it'll ever receive a re-release or recognition in other crossovers (Smash, FEWarriors).

No need to make fun of my argument by putting a word I used in brackets. You know pretty well I meant it in a good way considering the other games it's being featured alongside.

I can see the game getting ported to Switch to fill up gaps between schedules. If not, then it might eventually be released digitally as part of a future console VC.

9 minutes ago, Jave said:

No need to make fun of my argument by putting a word I used in brackets. You know pretty well I meant it in a good way considering the other games it's being featured alongside.

I can see the game getting ported to Switch to fill up gaps between schedules. If not, then it might eventually be released digitally as part of a future console VC.

I'm not making fun of your argument-- it was an (admittedly cheap) shot at how poorly the game did.
Considering its controversial nature and abysmal sales on top of trumped-up localization drama, I'm seeing Nintendo keeping it away for some time. That said, if they were able to make a Switch release out of it at a discounted price I'd be tempted to get it.

^Lol you two made me read discounted as discontinued. Granted I just woke up but I was like "how the hell did the game get discontinued when it's not even a year old"

This made me thinking. The UI is probably the biggest challenge but is it really that hard? I mean is it really that hard to put Wii U gamepad UI into like the pause menu or something? You know like how any other rpg game usually do it? Unless these stuff needs to be done in real time I guess it will be a challenge but even then there is ways to tackle that.