Can one hope for a port to Switch?

There's always hope, but in this case, it's very unlikely.

TMS didn't even sell half a million copies, despite releasing on the Wii U before the Switch announced but late enough in its life where there wasn't any real competition, and the Wii U had pretty much reached its install base maximum. That's incredibly dismal, almost hilariously bad sales for a major HD console JRPG release, and I'd be shocked if they didn't lose tons of money on it. The only way it's getting to the Switch is if 1) the porting process is super easy and cheap, and 2) they're confident it'll sell several million copies on the new console. I seriously doubt they'll have that kind of confidence.

I'd love to see it come to the Switch. The game is INCREDIBLE. I loved my first playthrough of it, and currently playing through New Game Plus is a blast. The combat system is one of the very best turn-based systems ever devised, and is an excitingly unique system that departs from both Persona/SMT norms and other turn-based systems I've seen elsewhere. It's like FF X, but faster-paced and full of combo attacks that get really exciting. Beyond that, the music, the visuals, the characters, the world, it's all incredibly fun, vibrant, charming, and engaging. I wish people could look past both their disdain for JPop, their disappointment that the FE influences are only pulled from Shadow Dragon and Awakening, and that it's not like the original teaser of the SMTxFE. Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a stellar game, completely unexpected and unique in every way, and, honestly, coming from a Fire Emblem fan, far better than any "faithful" crossover of the two properties would have ever been in my eyes. We need more unique and highly polished games like this, but it's not wonder we don't get enough of them, when they sell like garbage. 

I too am hoping it gets a second life on the Switch, but I hold no expectations of that happening. I just do my best to tell anyone who has a Wii U about the game and hope that more people can experience it and love it like I do. If you've been on the fence about it, I wouldn't wait for a Switch port. Go grab it. You are very unlikely to regret it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎6‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:35 PM, TadpoleSuperHero said:

... Beyond that, the music, the visuals, the characters, the world, it's all incredibly fun, vibrant, charming, and engaging. I wish people could look past both their disdain for JPop, their disappointment that the FE influences are only pulled from Shadow Dragon and Awakening, and that it's not like the original teaser of the SMTxFE. ...

Hey, I usually hate J-Pop myself (being a Japanese, of all nationalities...) and yet I've been fascinated of this game! No, that's it. After I get through my backlog of Wii/GC games, I'm giving this a try, along with WWHD, TPHD, and BotW.

It's a shame TMS sold as poorly as it did, as it made the top of a lot of our Wii U game of 2016 lists. Not that there was much competition for that category. You had Paper Mario Color Splash, and Twilight Princess HD. 

The Switch isn't a dual screen system, so they'll have to re-tool the text message system and enemy info that used to be displayed on the gamepad. Plus a game featuring real life singers and mo-cap actors is probably a nightmare to reclaim the rights for a port. 

10 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Hey, I usually hate J-Pop myself (being a Japanese, of all nationalities...) and yet I've been fascinated of this game! No, that's it. After I get through my backlog of Wii/GC games, I'm giving this a try, along with WWHD, TPHD, and BotW.

Ha, I was saying that as a fan of J-Pop personally, but I just point that out because I see so many people brush aside even the thought of playing TMS because "murh J-Pop" as if the entire game is its music. I hope you enjoy it when you get to it! And that lineup of Zelda games should be an excellent time as well :^_^:

I really hope it does. I was reluctant to buy it after I saw the trailer, I was like, wtf is this? But then it came out and I saw all the positive reviews, I was like, you know what? I'm gonna buy it. So I did, and I played it, bought the DLC because why not?

...And I loved every single. Goddamn. Minute. Hoo, boy, it was so good. The combat system was fun and engaging, easy to pick up, and one of the best I've seen. The story, while simple, was still exciting to playthrough, but the game truly shone with its graphics, puzzles and characters. The puzzles offered a genuine challenge, I had to look up a walkthrough for a couple of them, but they were otherwise extremely fun. The graphics, well, it's a Wii U game, yet it still managed to look beautiful. Then the characters...yes, Itsuki and Tsubasa are rather bland, but they have hidden depths if you spend the time reading into them. Kiria was interesting, Yashiro and Mamori too, but Touma and Eleonora...sweet Mary, I'd say these two are the best characters. Great designs, very interesting Mirages, just, wow.

The music is in its own category, the songs, as a fan of Japanese music due to watching a lot of anime, were really great. Reincarnation, Dream Catcher and Jump! Ouga come to mind. And who could forget the Opera of Light?

I think a lot of people were unhappy about Itsuki's appearance during said Opera, but I think it's a neat little reference to Marth's original design on the first FE box art.

But, yeah. I would definitely buy it again if it got ported.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a blast to play. Yes, it has a lot of Japanese culture, but that's as expected since the spinoff Persona series are always set in modern Japan. Overall, I find it a fun game.

Of course, my friend and I hope to see it on the Switch. My friend in fact hopes that the version doesn't have the censorship material that was taken out in the English version.

Platinum Games is hinting at Bayonetta 1+2 and The Wonderful 101 getting Switch ports.

Spoiler

DDx1WixUMAA0_8F.jpg

DEBQaQTV0AAnD8B.jpg

Now, the Bayos aren't exactly unexpected, but TW101 was around longer and sold even less than TMS, so while an argument can still be made, "the game bombed" isn't really a valid excuse anymore.

1 hour ago, Jave said:

Platinum Games is hinting at Bayonetta 1+2 and The Wonderful 101 getting Switch ports.

Wow. I'd buy these games if I didn't know I'd in all certainty be utterly terrible at them. I have the reflexes of a cold decaying corpse. Still, if W101 has a shot, maybe TMS does after all, ideally with the grinding DLC packaged in already just to be nice. But I won't get my hopes up, nor rebuy the game barring significant changes/additions.

17 hours ago, Jave said:

Hide contents

DDx1WixUMAA0_8F.jpg

DEBQaQTV0AAnD8B.jpg

Now, the Bayos aren't exactly unexpected, but TW101 was around longer and sold even less than TMS, so while an argument can still be made, "the game bombed" isn't really a valid excuse anymore.

Definitely a reason for me to have my hopes up high, and getting all these awesome games. Thanks for the bump!

• 2 months later...

A sequel is another option for them, which I will totally be interested in, but the game's reception wasn't the best one, and if they give it a shot then it might be only because they're eager to push it further.

My hopes are for what crossover/side game Nintendo will give us in 2018-2019, because depending on how Warriors does, it might get a sequel.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 2:42 AM, henrymidfields said:

I'm going to updating my previous post as written above, as now I had a chance to play a small part of the game. While I can't give a full assessment of the story yet, it did seem to be a fun story of growing up to become a idol star in present-day Tokyo, and at any rate, it was a refreshingly different story that I would not have seen in any other Nintendo game. It seemed to show me a more light-hearted version of Persona, and I felt that it could become a good entry point to get into the Persona series. Another cool thing was seeing a different take on the Fire Emblem franchise, where characters like Chrom and Caeda live in a different plane of existence, while crossing path with the real world. The battles are also more upbeat than the standard FE Fare, and very much fun to be immersed in with multi-character combos re-named as sessions - which made me feel like I am a rock star battling my worst fears from stage fright.

Lastly, I enjoyed all of this, despite generally hating J-Pop. Generally, there are very few Japanese popular music artists/songs that I like (the Tomita Laboratory group being one of those exceptions), but I enjoyed listening to the few songs I heard in this game, and I'm even humming one of Kiria's songs as I am typing this. Therefore, for those that likewise hate J-Pop as I do, I urge everyone to have an open mind and try this game.

On Tue Oct 03 2017 at 1:02 PM, Quintessence said:

Is it The Labyrinth?

No, it's Resurrection...or whatever the music played in the prologue.

Edited by henrymidfields

5 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Ah, Reincarnation.  Great song IMO.

The Labyrinth blows it out of the water.

5 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

KOWASHITAI

18 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Ah, Reincarnation.  Great song IMO.

Water was the magic I spammed with Kiria!

My personal favorite is Yashiro's Under the Moon, but the game definitely has an outstanding play list imo. Mamori's were so cute, the one that plays with Barry under the dog suit, and Raindrop Memories is beautiful. Yashiro's Black Rain and Give Me have a good beat!

20 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Correction, The Labyrinth pulls it out with the water and instantly freezes it into an ice tornado of doom. I came to love it whenever Kiria ad libbed since I knew I'd be in for a treat. And although I did eventually buy The Labyrinth costume for her, I never actually had her wear it since I liked to save seeing the costume for those rare happy occasions when I knew my foes would be getting it. 

I always skipped the J-Pop clips when they came up, being a stick in the mud who refused to have anything to do with them (snobbish disdain emphasized). But The Labyrinth sounded rather nice whenever it did play in battle. Maybe just maybe I should try to tone down the automatic distaste, there was a time where I didn't dislike J-Pop openings in video games, they weren't great, but they were acceptably okay.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Correction, The Labyrinth pulls it out with the water and instantly freezes it into an ice tornado of doom. I came to love it whenever Kiria ad libbed since I knew I'd be in for a treat. And although I did eventually buy The Labyrinth costume for her, I never actually had her wear it since I liked to save seeing the costume for those rare happy occasions when I knew my foes would be getting it. 

I always skipped the J-Pop clips when they came up, being a stick in the mud who refused to have anything to do with them (snobbish disdain emphasized). But The Labyrinth sounded rather nice whenever it did play in battle. Maybe just maybe I should try to tone down the automatic distaste, there was a time where I didn't dislike J-Pop openings in video games, they weren't great, but they were acceptably okay.

Oh man. . .

(spoilers for some later songs/moves)

Spoiler

"Give Me" managed to hit all the wrong notes with me.  However, the animation that went with it was hilarious, to the point where I'll let it play out.

Alas, Mamori's songs are mostly a miss for me.  I like her acting segments, though.

3 hours ago, Troykv said:

I wonder how would they change the stuff that appear in the Gamepad's screen in a hypothetical Switch Version.

It's just the text messages, a map, and an enemy bio during battle. I should think all they'd have to do is program a pop up menu version of all of these that you toggle with the press of a button. Persona 5 did this with all three of those functions.

5 hours ago, kingddd said:

i only know one puzzle would screw up a lot of players easily in one of the dungeons.  The convenience of the gamepad makes that puzzle so much easier to figure out.

Spoiler

Are you talking about that one puzzle in Chapter 4 where you have to go to a specific door based on the monitors? Because I'd rather them change that puzzle entirely in a port, honestly.

Anyway, a Switch port of TMS is one of those things I don't mind happening, but probably won't happen because of the game's sales. If it does, I want Smile Smile to actually be in the game. No I don't care that Itsuki's not a performer, it's a great song.

Edited by Azure Sen

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2017 at 7:07 AM, Azure Sen said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Are you talking about that one puzzle in Chapter 4 where you have to go to a specific door based on the monitors? Because I'd rather them change that puzzle entirely in a port, honestly.

Anyway, a Switch port of TMS is one of those things I don't mind happening, but probably won't happen because of the game's sales. If it does, I want Smile Smile to actually be in the game. No I don't care that Itsuki's not a performer, it's a great song.

I mean.

Low initial sales hasn't stopped Atlus before.

20 hours ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

I mean.

Low initial sales hasn't stopped Atlus before.

It's stopped Nintendo though, they in particular are very picky when it comes to deciding what games get sequels.

It all depends on sales for the most part too.