Kinda scared.

Flee Fleet!

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Pakistan-threatens-to-block-social-media-over--blasphemy-

well, this just came in. 

In Pakistan.

Now I'm actually scared on whether I should delete my Youtube channel and all my comments, seeing as I have made some comments against a few people who spoke wrongly of my religion (yes I know it was a stupid decision to reply). Should I do it? 

Also you can discuss about this. Although it would be preferable to not make this a religious debate. This is simply what's happening in Pakistan, and if this topic needs to get deleted or locked, be my guest.

That's seems like an incredibly stupid move. But what are the specifics? When they say ban social media, what do they mean exactly? What would they ban exactly?

Edited by Water Mage

11 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

That's seems like an incredibly stupid move. But what are the specifics? When they say ban social media, what do they mean exactly? What would they ban exactly?

They'd ban social media such as Youtube or Facebook for blasphemy against Islam.

I mean, after all, there was a ban on Youtube from 2012 to 2016 in Pakistan, iirc, because of someone making a video ridiculing Prophet Muhammad. 

53 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

They'd ban social media such as Youtube or Facebook for blasphemy against Islam.

I mean, after all, there was a ban on Youtube from 2012 to 2016 in Pakistan, iirc, because of someone making a video ridiculing Prophet Muhammad. 

They're really not thinking logically. Instead of banning the whole thing, they shoukd try to ban the offender. Actions like this won't discourage the ones who cause "blasphemy". If anything, it might spur them on to do more.

Edited by Water Mage

1 minute ago, Water Mage said:

They're really thinking logically. Instead of banning the whole thing, they shoukd try to ban the offender. Actions like this won't discourage the ones who cause "blasphemy". If anything, it might spur them on to do more.

Agreed. 

Banning the offender is honestly the most logical way to solve problems, instead of banning the whole thing.

Then again, banning the offender might just make some people consider Youtube "a site that does not allow freedom of speech" (I mean, after the "Pewdiepie's a Nazi?!" news spread, I've seen many comments of people declaring Youtube has lost freedom of speech or something e.t.c. e.t.c). Then again this is just my opinion, so i may just be totally wrong here.

It's sad, but I don't see why you yourself would be scared. Your explanation was vague at best, without knowing what religion you are I can't see it, but you don't have to tell me of course.

Pakistan and Saudi Arabia etc like to whine and be offended and act like children. A cartoonist drew Muhammad and the newspaper he worked for had their office attacked. A little girl named a teddy bear Muhammad and the teacher got death threats. I don't know what the cartoon had in it that made them so angry but the teddy bear incident...seriously? How can a little girl possibly be committing "blasphemy" by naming her toy? It's ridiculous. No other religion that I know of has people like that. I don't hate Muslims and I don't think they're all terrorists. Just...yeah. Even the most hardcore nutjob Christians don't do that. Somebody can draw Jesus and they're perfectly okay with it.

Just another example of why we're so lucky to not live in the middle east... 

7 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

It's sad, but I don't see why you yourself would be scared. Your explanation was vague at best, without knowing what religion you are I can't see it, but you don't have to tell me of course.

Well, I am Muslim myself. The reason I'm scared is that my comments don't get mistaken as "ridiculing Propeht Muhammad", when in fact I'm defending him. And the rest is in the article so...

Then again, I'm probably just being a wimp, more or less, and hopefully my comments aren't misunderstood.

9 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

don't know what the cartoon had in it that made them so angry but the teddy bear incident...seriously?

I dunno about the teddy bear incident, but the cartoon I think ridiculed Muhammad quite a lot...? Correct me if I'm wrong. But I do remember that the artists later made a cartoon of either Muhammad or just a random Muslim kissing the artist...which basically becomes homosexuality. So yeah...it's understandable why most Muslims would be mad.

11 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

No other religion that I know of has people like that. I don't hate Muslims and I don't think they're all terrorists. Just...yeah. Even the most hardcore nutjob Christians don't do that. Somebody can draw Jesus and they're perfectly okay with it.

While I may be wrong, most Muslims are sensitive about their religion, including me to an extent. That's why most aren't okay with Muhammad being literally ridiculed, seeing as how much we respect him ( at least concerning stuff like videos and cartoons at least), so death threats by extremists is to be expected. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

To be honest, I don't really like any religious figure, including Jesus, to be ridiculed or made fun of...

Any depiction of the Prophet Muhammad are forbidden in Islam. People take that to such an extreme that people have been attacked or killed as a result which is just sad.

Islam in general does not allow the faith, the Quran, or the Prophet to be ridiculed or mocked or critiqued or what have you due to Islam's extremely authoritarian nature.

Anything and everything should be fair game for any form of humor, mockery, or critique.

11 hours ago, Ein said:

Any depiction of the Prophet Muhammad are forbidden in Islam. People take that to such an extreme that people have been attacked or killed as a result which is just sad.

Islam in general does not allow the faith, the Quran, or the Prophet to be ridiculed or mocked or critiqued or what have you due to Islam's extremely authoritarian nature.

Anything and everything should be fair game for any form of humor, mockery, or critique.

Is this relevant or more of your anti-islamic crusades on this forum whose critique you continue to ignore? Radicalization is an end result of politics. The religion is a means to an end. Anybody can be ensnared by any philosophy into doing anything so long as the politics call for it.

You'll find that America, in an attempt to measure their dick against Russia, sowed the seeds of radicalization in Iraq to fight against those militant communist atheists, as one example. And as you may recall, atheism was used as a rallying cry for soviet politics.

12 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

While I may be wrong, most Muslims are sensitive about their religion, including me to an extent. That's why most aren't okay with Muhammad being literally ridiculed, seeing as how much we respect him ( at least concerning stuff like videos and cartoons at least), so death threats by extremists is to be expected. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I like how people pretend this is unique to Islam. Christianity definitely does not like Jesus to be ridiculed either.

Edited by Lord Raven

yeah new atheists are usually religous fundamentalists of their own brand, and guys like sam harris use pseudo-intellectual rationale to demonize muslims and apologize for imperialism and mass murder. 

understanding complex political issues in saudi arabia or pakistan through a simplistic and ignorant understanding of religon is dumb

Edited by Radiant head

8 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

I like how people pretend this is unique to Islam. Christianity definitely does not like Jesus to be ridiculed either, and 

ah, I see then. Sorry for my misunderstanding, and thanks for correcting me.

2 hours ago, Radiant head said:

yeah new atheists are usually religous fundamentalists of their own brand, and guys like sam harris use pseudo-intellectual rationale to demonize muslims and apologize for imperialism and mass murder. 

understanding complex political issues in saudi arabia or pakistan through a simplistic and ignorant understanding of religon is dumb

I agree with this, strongly.

8 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

I like how people pretend this is unique to Islam. Christianity definitely does not like Jesus to be ridiculed either, and 

Can't think of too many traditional religions that are happy about having their holy figures mocked.

As for what to do. . .deleting things will probably make it worse, because now it looks like you have something to hide (and thank the likes of archive.org for that).  Can't really advise you on what to do, so good luck out there!

Edited by eclipse
I can grammar

11 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Facebook, Google, Youtube are all banned in China.

You should start thinking about life without them.

1 hour ago, hanhnn said:

Facebook, Google, Youtube are all banned in China.

You should start thinking about life without them.

Eh, I only really care about Youtube because I often watch gaming videos and listen to music. Although there are quite some alternatives.

As for Google, Bing can work as the perfect alternative to it. And I guess Yahoo too.

I don't really care about Facebook. I spend most of my time on forums like Serenesforest.

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

Can't think of too many traditional religions that are happy about having their holy figures mocked.

As for what to do. . .deleting things will probably make it worse, because now it looks like you have something to hide (and thank the likes of archive.org for that).  Can't really advise you on what to do, so good luck out there!

Ah, okay. I actually talked to my father about this, and he also suggested to not delete anything, and that I instead should just not comment on anything regarding country and religion, for now.

Besides, I don't really know how to immediately delete all the comments I ever made, and I'm sure that's not possible or it's too difficult to do, right?

6 minutes ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Ah, okay. I actually talked to my father about this, and he also suggested to not delete anything, and that I instead should just not comment on anything regarding country and religion, for now.

Besides, I don't really know how to immediately delete all the comments I ever made, and I'm sure that's not possible or it's too difficult to do, right?

Sounds like your dad has the right idea.

Don't know if deleting YouTube comments would be easy, given that they're tied to a Google account.  You can try to edit everything here to say something else, but the likes of archive.org may have a copy of the unedited content.

Just now, eclipse said:

Sounds like your dad has the right idea.

Don't know if deleting YouTube comments would be easy, given that they're tied to a Google account.  You can try to edit everything here to say something else, but the likes of archive.org may have a copy of the unedited content.

Yeah, pretty much. I actually did a quick google search and the best way to delete all my comments are to go to every video I ever commented on and delete them...yup, it's the hard way.

There might be other alternatives, but I'll just give up now, considering that, as you said, archive.org may have a copy of every unedited content. 

I see, thanks for the insight on the cartoon incident...still doesn't make it right what they did. 

Still, I don't think if you are Muslim and defending Muhammad you have anything to worry about. I mean unless you were being hateful about it. Which I doubt.

Kinda sad, but plenty of countries in that region take "blasphemy" charges very seriously. A few countries even have the death penalty for such "crimes". I know that everyone can have their beliefs, but when the government is essentially forcing people to comply with their religion, that is simply inexcusable. Such things are no better than the Spanish Inquisition to me.

28 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Honestly, if you ask me, its kinda a good thing that social media is blocked in some fashion considering how threats are constantly spewing over facebook  and twitter.

what are your views on the first amendment