Serenes' Ideal Roster Poll-- Round 9: Illusory Encore

The DanMan

An idea that has been stewing in my mind for a while-- why hasn't their been a poll where the community here at SF systematically vote for their ideal cast for this game? (Jedi had a thing going, but it was more limited in scope.) With the lack of news and likelyhood of no new info until close to E3, I've decided to try and do it myself. There's a bit of an obstacle that may impede things, though: the forum redesign does not allow you to vote for multiple options to a singular question.
Here's the way things will work:

-I'll create a new poll in Google with six questions (going " (insert game) character one" to "(insert game) character six"), as well as asking how many top characters per game/duology should make it (2-6)
-I'll link it in both the OP and in a new post in the thread
-Once 48 hours have passed, I'll record the results in a new post and the OP and repeat things for the next game in the series

Voting has now closed. Thanks for participating!

I'll try to update every other day (due to the subforum's current stagnation), and the results will be listed below:
Roster Size: 25-40 (final size: 47)

Results:

TMS#FE results:

16 responses

2 characters (8 votes)
1st place: Touma (13 votes)
2nd place: Kiria (7 votes, decided by tiebreaker)

Fates results:

41 responses

6 characters (32 votes)
1st. Takumi (16 votes)
2nd. Flora (15 votes)
3rd - 4th. Ryoma and Xander (12 votes each)
5th - 6th. Corrin and Camilla (10 votes each)

Awakening results:

32 votes

6 characters (15 votes)
1st-2nd. Robin and Lucina (23 votes each)
3rd. Chrom (17 votes)
4th. Cordelia (9 votes)
5th. Tharja (8 votes)
6th. Tiki (7 votes)

Magvel results:

Votes: 49

Amount of characters: 6 (34 votes)
1st place: Eirika (26 votes)
2nd place: Lute (25 votes)
3rd place: Ephraim (24 votes)
4th place: L'arachel (21 votes)
5th place: Lyon (17 votes)
6th place: Innes (9 votes)

Tellius results:

Votes: 39

Amount of characters: 6 (29 votes)
1st place: Ike (19 votes)
2nd place: Micaiah (13 votes)
3rd place: Elincia (13 votes)
4th place: Ilyanna (13 votes)
5th place: Mia (10 votes)
6th place: Soren (9 votes)

Elibe results:

Responses: ??? (poll was hijacked by somebody who wanted to be gangbanged by Nino, Sophia, Priscilla, Isadora, and Gwendolyn, so deducting their repeat votes leaves things vague)

6 characters (18 total)
1- Hector (19 votes)
2- Lyn (17 votes)
3- Roy (13 votes)
4- Eliwood (12 votes)
5- Nino (8 votes)
6- Zephiel (7 votes)

Judgral results:

Responses: 18
Amount of reps: 6 (10 votes)
1st: Sigurd (11 votes)
2nd: Seliph (8 votes)
3rd: Ishtar (5 votes)
4th: Arvis (5 votes)
5th: Leif (5 votes)
6th: Taltiu (5 votes)

Valentia results:

Total responses: 20
3 reps (9 total)
1-2. Alm and Celica (17 votes a piece)
3. Mycen (4 votes)

Akaneia results:

Amount of voters: 24
Amount of representation: 6 characters
1st place: Marth with 18 votes
2nd place: Caeda with 16 votes
3rd place: Minerva with 11 votes
4th place: Gharnef with 10 votes
5th place: Hardin with 9 votes
6th place: Merric with 7 votes

Edited by The DanMan

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, is the question how much we expect, or how much we want? Because naturally I think we'd all want as much content as possible, even if it's far past what we'd ever have the interest to finish experiencing. I'm expecting an initial roster of less than 20 with what little information we have. A quick google search reveals that DW 8 boasts an 83 character roster, but these Warriors spinoffs don't tend to match DW rosters in terms of quantity.

I chose 25-40 because while a large roster size would be nice to see.  I'm a player who sticks to a very minimal amount of characters that I would actually use when it comes to Warriors games.  For example: in most Dynasty Warriors games, I choose to use Guan Ping, Wang Yuanji, and Lu Xun (mostly just pre-DW5 with him though).  So a giant roster is something ideal for me.  I tend to stick with the few characters I enjoy using and continue to use them.

9 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Wait, is the question how much we expect, or how much we want? Because naturally I think we'd all want as much content as possible, even if it's far past what we'd ever have the interest to finish experiencing. I'm expecting an initial roster of less than 20 with what little information we have. A quick google search reveals that DW 8 boasts an 83 character roster, but these Warriors spinoffs don't tend to match DW rosters in terms of quantity.

Want. It's a dream roster poll; the limit is there because there needs to be some limitation, or else there's kinda no point to the poll.

I personally went with 25-40-- the fun I get out of doing things like this personally comes from having to make some "hard calls" and applying limitation and reason to it.

15 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

And theres also Orochi with its like 100+ haha.

I personally say about 25-40, though I do feel as if that's pushing it somewhat.

Because I'm spoiled by the large rosters of the Warriors franchise, my gut reaction is to want a large cast of characters. However, I have a feeling we won't be getting that when the game first launches. To be perfectly honest, I have a feeling the base game roster won't even hit twenty (but, I will be happy if it did).

My reasoning is somewhat pessimistic: they'll probably use the most well-known or popular characters before adding in those from the earlier games and those that are less popular. I'm tentatively optimistic, though, because Heroes has a lot of units from the earlier games, so I could be wary for no reason.

I know for a fact that the characters I want will either not be in the game at all; will be present but unplayable; or they will be DLC.

8 minutes ago, saisymbolic said:

I personally say about 25-40, though I do feel as if that's pushing it somewhat.

Because I'm spoiled by the large rosters of the Warriors franchise, my gut reaction is to want a large cast of characters. However, I have a feeling we won't be getting that when the game first launches. To be perfectly honest, I have a feeling the base game roster won't even hit twenty (but, I will be happy if it did).

My reasoning is somewhat pessimistic: they'll probably use the most well-known or popular characters before adding in those from the earlier games and those that are less popular. I'm tentatively optimistic, though, because Heroes has a lot of units from the earlier games, so I could be wary for no reason.

I know for a fact that the characters I want will either not be in the game at all; will be present but unplayable; or they will be DLC.

The poll's not directly related to what we expect from the game; simply what our ideal FE Warriors game would be like. Don't let the seeming reality of the situation cloud things. I too expect 20 characters at launch (due to Hyrule Warriors having 20 unique movesets at launch, counting the free update that made villains playable), but I voted 25-40 because that's what I'd ideally want out of it.

15 minutes ago, Jedi said:

And theres also Orochi with its like 100+ haha.

150+ with WO3U. Though half the DW7 characters are semi-clones.

9 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

150+ with WO3U. Though half the DW7 characters are semi-clones.

Which is why I hope they do another Orochi since 8 diversified them again.

Regarding the poll: >15 means 'greater than 15', not 'less than 15', which would be <15 (you might want to fix that, OP).

Anyway, I voted 15-25 (closer to 25).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Just now, The DanMan said:

The poll's not directly related to what we expect from the game; simply what our ideal FE Warriors game would be like. Don't let the seeming reality of the situation cloud things. I too expect 20 characters at launch (due to Hyrule Warriors having 20 unique movesets at launch, counting the free update that made villains playable), but I voted 25-40 because that's what I'd ideally want out of it.

Oh. Okay.

I still would want between 25-40 then. I want enough characters to have a variety, but I don't want there to be too many that characters of the same class seem like re-skins of each other. 

completely disregard the fact that i said i was spoiled by the large cast in warriors

Speaking of semi-clones, weren't there a few characters in the pre-DW6 games that were sort of clones? Off the top of my head, I remember always confusing Zhao Yun, Lu Meng, Jiang Wei and Ma Chao with each other because they all used spears and their normal attacks and some of their charge attacks were incredibly similar - if not identical. Also, the Xiao sisters, but their personalities (and charge attacks) made it easy to tell them a part.

Welp, I should have read the question better instead of simply voting what I think the roster size will be. (I voted for 15-25.)

Ideally? I would not mind having 50+ characters because Warriors Orochi 3 spoiled me with the number of choices. Of course, I'll never get around to using them all regularly, but it is nice to have those options there.

Man, sometimes I would like the Warriors games to be a service, releasing skins, new maps, new characters, and expansions instead of simply a straight up new game each time. It can get old real quick starting back at Level 1 for each title, especially if one wants to "complete" each one...

I don't want 50+ characters because if you're gonna do that much, that probably means the characters will have less work put into them.  You can't expect 70 characters to all have unique, well-made move sets unless you've been building up to that like all the warriors series' have done.  I'd prefer 40-50, as I think it's a nice balance.  Though honestly, I expect 20-35.

Though I most certainly want to see this turn into a series if successful and for the roster to eventually hit a hundred or so.

40-50 characters, no contest. The FE cast is so big, it wouldn't be right to give it a small roster. Though I don't expect this game to have a big one...

And yeah, 50+ characters probably means less work will be put into them.

Edited by Anacybele

Ideally, 25-40 sounds good.

Realistically, it also fits into that range if we go off of Hyrule Warriors as a base, given the 29 characters in the final release.

50+ characters sounds great in theory, until you release how ungodly ridiculous that would be, maybe enough so to delay the game.

Or they go super cheap on a group of them. Either way it'll probably end up being more trouble then it's worth.

Okay, I think a found a workaround for the lack of an ability to multivote on SF-- do the main voting in a Google docs form a la Jedi's earlier experiment. That'd also save me the trouble of having to type up every character name. Voting here instead is for how many "slots" each game/duology should get. Since 25-40 is the clear winner here, the poll will be 2-6 characters.

So, basically:
-I'll create a new poll in Google with six questions (going " (insert game) character one" to "(insert game) character six")
-I'll link it in both the OP and in a new post in the thread
-The topic poll will be asking how many top characters per game should be allowed-- ranging from 2 to 6  Wonderful. Tried editing the topic poll and because the site redesign freaking hates the poll option, nobody could vote who'd already voted. That's also going into the google doc poll as well.
-Once 48 hours have passed, I'll record the results in a new post and the OP and repeat things for the next game in the series

Akaneia (FE1/3/11/12) starts now. Tell me if there's any issues accessing things: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1b3Q5ffnlkGivEJpDlE-lXuJib4H7cofFLqd9Ij29A5A

Edited by The DanMan

2 hours ago, saisymbolic said:

Is Palla, Wolf and Aran a part of the Archanea series?

Palla Wolf and Arran (Aran is a different character, from Radiant Dawn) are Archanea characters, if that's what you're asking.

All characters who debuted in FE1, 3, and their remakes count.

Anyways, halfway results:
5 people have voted for 6 (the maximum) number of Akaneia reps.
1. Marth with 11 votes
2. Caeda with 10 votes
3. Gharnef with 6 votes
4. Hardin with 5 votes
5. Minerva with 4 votes
6. Palla/Merric/Jeigan with 3 votes
13 respondents so far

Palla's a bit of a shocker Catria struck me as number one Akaneia waifu, but besides that pretty predictable. Feel like I should also mention that, funnily, all of Marth's votes come from the first "question" and everybody put villains in for the last question.

Also...

Why.png Who are you and more importantly, WHY?

I kid, I kid. It's a poll, go for who you want.