Support conversations topic

Harvey

This thread here is all about support conversations that started from FE6 onwards. So you can talk about them all as much as you want. Whether you're personal favorite conversations or your least favorite conversations or how you want them to be done in future games etc.

I'll start with FE6....to me, FE6 has a lot of conversations that are either too simple(look at the chat between Wolt and Alan) that sometimes hinder the fulfillment of getting them(though that wouldn't matter due to support bonuses so it still rewarding in that sense. I'm talking about in the sense of the dialogue reward) or that they end up being boring..again atleast in MY case.

However, the ones that really stand out and are the best ones atleast to me are conversations with Ogier. Ogier's conversations are some of the best and his chat with Lillina is very emotional and deep and while they are simple, its the writing that makes them special to me.

I feel Rutger's supports are very lackluster and just plain odd. He tries damaging Dieck simply because he's bored but then the reason behind it is because either Dieck killed Bulgar before him? Or is it because he wanted to make sure that it was Dieck that killed Bulgar? I don't know because I can't figure him out at all...

Rutger hardly expresses himself and even when he does it, its done in a simplistic manner that words can't describe how awkward I feel at times....

But that's enough for FE6 for me and right now, this is what is in my mind right now for supports being there.

So I've been grinding out the Fates support log during bathroom breaks for over a year. Currently working on Gen 2's mommy conversations before doing their actual supports. And of course, supports with the different moms result in the same conversation with minimalistic dialogue differences. So I skip them as fast as I skip enemy phase.

But I'm glad something possessed me to read Caeldori x Selena because that was surprisingly deep.

More recently, I finished the Sacred Stones support log, which gave me a chance to experience most of the conversations in that game for the first time. Definitely some winners in there. A few losers as well. Dozla and Ewan are just gag characters. Myrrh's conversations with Ephraim stand out in her support log as her not being anti-social at all and instead doing the "big brother" thing ten seconds in. Lute is another gag character in all but the Kyle support, but all that one does that I like is shoutout the Kyle x Syrene support near the end. FE8 supports make reference to each other a lot which I'd like to see more of now that newer games have no 5 conversation limit.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

I'll start with FE6....to me, FE6 has a lot of conversations that are either too simple(look at the chat between Wolt and Alan) that sometimes hinder the fulfillment of getting them(though that wouldn't matter due to support bonuses so it still rewarding in that sense. I'm talking about in the sense of the dialogue reward) or that they end up being boring..again atleast in MY case.

pretty much this, although I'll be honest I don't find any of the convos boring (especially Treck's. His are actually quite funny for me), except for maybe the support convos between Alan and Lance. I mean, majority of units don't talk for most of the game, like in the Kaga games, so at least FE6 made them talk, and so did future games with support convos.

51 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

Lute is another gag character

To be honest, I like her supports, especially with Arthur.

I like almost all the support convos in FE8, although this is probably because of me being more attached to the characters in this game compared to the characters in FE6 and 7.

Good ones:

Cormag/Duessel A is a great example of character development and backstory, though the latter is for a character who isn't present. I really liked the way that Duessel explained his family legacy, and the fact he even states "I'm not saying Valter was a good person before he nicked it..." helps the idea that Cormag could take the lance and one day use it for good.

Amelia/Duessel A is also a lovely backstory, but subs a little character development for an emotional moment that still makes me cry a little.

Funny ones:

Oscar/Janaff A. As it turns out, twenty-four is quite young for bird tribes...

Gilliam/Neimi A has Gilliam take a crack at vision training, and in the process does what I do all too often: stare frighteningly at whatever's in front of him.

Favorites:

Wolt/Roy - My favorite support.  Bros/10

Marcus/Wolt

Wolt/Sue

Roy/Sue

Roy/Shanna

Roy/Lalum

Roy/Marcus

Odin/Lazlow

Rebecca/Nino

Nino/Erk

Nino/Everyone really

Erk/everyone really

Fae/Everyone really

Eirika/Ephraim

Ephraim/Myrrh

Those I don't like:

Wolt/Allen and Lance - Compared to Wolt's other 3 supports, these are really boring.

Actually a lot of Allen/Lance supports are boring tbh.  Allen/Roy or Tate's alright, I guess.

Anything with Peri, because she's bad for the other character

Camilla revolves around the Avatar too much

Chrom/FRobin is awful and should have just been the MRobin support

Edited by Glaceon Mage

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Actually a lot of Allen/Lance supports are boring tbh.  Allen/Roy or Tate's alright, I guess.

I dunno... Lance/Clarine was pretty good. I just like how desperately Clarine's trying (emphasis on trying) to invoke tsundere on Lance.

Just now, phineas81707 said:

I dunno... Lance/Clarine was pretty good. I just like how desperately Clarine's trying (emphasis on trying) to invoke tsundere on Lance.

I forgot about that actually.  

Clarine's supports in general are quite nice.

1 minute ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I forgot about that actually.  

Clarine's supports in general are quite nice.

Yeah, I think in that case, it was Clarine being good more than Lance having depth... but for that conversation to work as well as it did, Lance almost had to be bland. It helps to throw Clarine's eccentricity into greater spotlight, and you can always make something bland funny by putting it in a funny situation.

5 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

Yeah, I think in that case, it was Clarine being good more than Lance having depth... but for that conversation to work as well as it did, Lance almost had to be bland. It helps to throw Clarine's eccentricity into greater spotlight, and you can always make something bland funny by putting it in a funny situation.

Yeah, even with the Allen supports I mentioned before (Roy and Tate), it's really the other character who's shining while Allen's recklessness is something for Roy/Tate to bounce off of, since the two of them are the exact opposite of reckless.

FE6's Christmas cavs really did get the short end of the stick in terms of supports.

29 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Camilla revolves around the Avatar too much

Are you implying that only the ones that focus on the avatar you don't like or that you just feel that every convo has Camilla chatting about the Avatar?

If its the latter, I will fight you.

Odin/Lazlow

Oh yeah. I remember laughing on this one!

Edited by Harvey

4 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Are you implying that only the ones that focus on the avatar you don't like or that you just feel that every convo has Camilla chatting about the Avatar?

If its the latter, I will fight you.

Oh yeah. I remember laughing on this one!

I obviously meant that I don't like how several of Camilla's supports are about the Avatar, and that's actually part of the reason I hate her.

3 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I obviously meant that I don't like how several of Camilla's supports are about the Avatar, and that's actually part of the reason I hate her.

Oh my bad.

though to be fair, FE has caring characters one way or another...like um, Louise for example?

Still being a Camilla fanboy that I am, I just can't bear hating her at all. :3

Personally, my favorite supports tend to be the funny ones.  Serra's are probably the best; pretty much every support she has is hilarious (except for her A-Support with Lucius, which is touching, but not really the Serra we're used to).  The Serra/Sain A-Support is particularly funny.

I always remember the first one between Kent and Farina. She accidentally attacks him with her Pegasus and then tells him she doesn't like him because he's like Fiora... so he apologises in a way that just sounds really confused xD Their conversation really endeared me to him ^.^

I went back to read the supports again, since I only vaguely remembered the next parts. They pretty much break the fourth wall xD

Farina: This is probably someone else’s doing… …Like Marcus, or Oswin… You know, Merlinus might try something like this, too…
Kent: I don’t think it is a conspiracy… I mean, what would anyone have to gain from making us fight together?

Edited by Cute Chao
More info

7 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I always remember the first one between Kent and Farina. She accidentally attacks him with her Pegasus and then tells him she doesn't like him because he's like Fiora... so he apologises in a way that just sounds really confused xD Their conversation really endeared me to him ^.^

I went back to read the supports again, since I only vaguely remembered the next parts. They pretty much break the fourth wall xD

Farina: This is probably someone else’s doing… …Like Marcus, or Oswin… You know, Merlinus might try something like this, too…
Kent: I don’t think it is a conspiracy… I mean, what would anyone have to gain from making us fight together?

Merlinus is conspiring against the two of you.  Riiiight...

It doesn't exactly break the fourth wall, but Serra and Sain tap on it a bit:

Serra is trying to figure out if Lyn will end up with Eliwood or Hector (which is a bit odd, considering other supports show that Serra's convinced that both of them are madly in love with her, but I guess she figures Lyn will be the consolation prize, or something).

Sain:  I think it's a mistake to restrict the contest to just those two.  Why even this humble knight might be a suitable suitor.

Serra:  No, not you, Sain.  You're not even in the running...

(Note:  Sain can't Support with Lyn.)

Just now, JJ48 said:

Merlinus is conspiring against the two of you.  Riiiight...

It doesn't exactly break the fourth wall, but Serra and Sain tap on it a bit:

Serra is trying to figure out if Lyn will end up with Eliwood or Hector (which is a bit odd, considering other supports show that Serra's convinced that both of them are madly in love with her, but I guess she figures Lyn will be the consolation prize, or something).

Sain:  I think it's a mistake to restrict the contest to just those two.  Why even this humble knight might be a suitable suitor.

Serra:  No, not you, Sain.  You're not even in the running...

(Note:  Sain can't Support with Lyn.)

Of course... Merlinus wants gooey shippiness with two of his favourite characters xD Then again, I ship Kent with just about any female. Kent gets his own harem xD

Funny how it happens with both the Christmas Knights. Kent and Sain are my favourite of them all <3

Although I do wish Sain could support with Lyn... haven't ever really thought about them as a couple before...

8 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

Of course... Merlinus wants gooey shippiness with two of his favourite characters xD Then again, I ship Kent with just about any female. Kent gets his own harem xD

Funny how it happens with both the Christmas Knights. Kent and Sain are my favourite of them all <3

Although I do wish Sain could support with Lyn... haven't ever really thought about them as a couple before...

Let's see what Serra has to say about that?

Serra:  [Sain] hit[s] on all the girls...and I...think...that...makes...[him]...gross.

...I think I actually have to agree with Serra on this one.

Shinon/Gatrie is absolutely hilarious, when we learn just the depths of Gatrie's gullability, and/or just how plain unlucky the guy is (lost all his money to a con artist pretending to have a fatal disease). But then they throw you a curveball and say that Gatrie is aware of how gullible he is, but he thinks that it makes him charming. Lol. Gatrie is never going to change...

Boyd/Titania left me in stitches when I read it. He confesses some sort of strange attraction to her...and then immediately follows up with "You're like a really nice mom!" Cough. And then he ends with asking Titania about her age. The boy is hopeless in a lot of ways, it seems.

Tormod's supports always made me laugh, just because of how bratty the kid is, as well as his intense energy. His supports with Calill have him firing back that Calill is just "jealous" of Tormod's intense potential and skill, and Calill's appropriate groaning makes it more hilarious. At that point, she's like, "...Why did I agree to teach this kid?" Him constantly trying to force his friendship on Sothe is a pretty funny thing.

Kieran/Oscar is the perfect comedy routine, with Oscar acting as the straight man to Kieran's weirdness. But it takes on a more serious tone, when we find out how sad Kieran was when Oscar left. It ends with both of them reaffirming their close friendship, even if Oscar doesn't rejoin the knights, they can still ride into battle together for Crimea. Very sweet of him, haha.

Bastian/Lucia, just because of how overly flowery Bastian is, and how much he tries to win Lucina's affections when he's got no chance. The fact that she finally humors him and (albeit grudgingly) says that she "might" date him at the end throws a bone to Bastian at last.

On the topic of serious, well-written supports, Soren/Ike comes to mind here. It was great and cathartic finally seeing Soren explain what his deal was, and him finally breaking down and letting his emotions flow was definitely good for him. Ike as the big brother/best friend figure comforting him was also good.

I really like Astrid/Sothe, due to how it expands on Astrid. She's naive and inexperienced, but she's shown to have an iron will - she wasn't about to allow herself to be married off and live in unhappiness for the rest of her life like her sisters. Sothe learns not to judge someone as soon as he sees them.

Muarim/Lethe is interesting from a development standpoint, where we learn just how damaged Muarim is from his slavery days, and how he cannot feel the same pride in being a laguz that Lethe does, and how much he struggles to see himself as an equal to beorc because of it. It's really kind of sad that way.

The supports between Xander and his siblings really stood out for me. He's wise and noble in his support with Corrin, gentle with his support with Leo, and even in his supports with Camilla shows just how much he adores his younger siblings (remembering tiny details about them). Xander is the best big brother, truly. Except in main story Conquest where he's horribly written

Mozu/Jakob is good as well; while Jakob is normally cold and rude to everyone not the Avatar, he's surprisingly gentle with Mozu, and shows deep understanding of her feelings and situations. That's why I ship them and always pair them off

Niles/Leo, for the depth it gives to their bond, and Niles' intense and serious devotion to Leo despite his on the surface superficial personality.

I have a lot of these, wow...

13 hours ago, Harvey said:

The first thing on my wishlist for an FE6 remake (hopefully combined as the second-generation to a FE7 remake) would definitely be expanded supports. It's clear

9 hours ago, phineas81707 said:

Oscar/Janaff A. As it turns out, twenty-four is quite young for bird tribes...

This one was hilarious. I remember it fondly. Uncle!Janaff was one of the best parts.

7 hours ago, Harvey said:

Oh my bad.

though to be fair, FE has caring characters one way or another...like um, Louise for example?

If I may interject, I don't think it's the fact that Camilla is caring, but the fact that she seems unhealthily obsessed with the Avatar, almost to the point of emotional dependence. I know that's part of the reason why I dislike her, personally...And the fact that she's shallow fanservice, and part of her fawning over the Avatar is that, but that's neither here nor there.

Edited by Extrasolar

1 hour ago, Extrasolar said:

If I may interject, I don't think it's the fact that Camilla is caring, but the fact that she seems unhealthily obsessed with the Avatar, almost to the point of emotional dependence. I know that's part of the reason why I dislike her, personally...

oh and I don't suppose Tharja being very obsessed in me, Louise obsessing herself to mother those close to her because of her wanting kids of her own don't mean otherwise?

I'll admit that there's too many supports that have her talk about Corrin but how else is Camilla suppose to express her feelings anyways? Atleast she doesn't talk about it to those who don't know how much she loves Corrin like Kaze or Laslow even. Heck, she shows affection to Selena as well so what about that?

Yeah, I'm a Camilla fanboy so sue me.

Edited by Harvey

I can't speak for FE6 as I've never played it. And, of the supports that I did in FE7, I only remember truly enjoying Lyn/Rath and Hector/Eliwood. As for FE9, I remember enjoying Marcia/Kieran, Ike/Reyson, Jill/Lethe, Ilyana/Gatrie and Ilyana/Zihark. The latter was only because I enjoyed the alternate dialogue they shared in RD.

In Awakening, I enjoyed a majority of the supports. Because of that, I'm going to mention a couple that I did not enjoy: Chrom/F!Robin and Severa/Cordelia.

For Chrom/F!Robin, all I have to say is that it is one of the supports that should have been copy - paste. The M!Robin support with Chrom was so good for a three part conversation, and it truly reflected how close their relationship was when compared to how they act in the main narrative. Instead, we get some generic anime bathroom scene with Chrom walking in on F!Robin, and her reacting in typical anime girl fashion. It was a letdown of a support, and I was extra salty after reading M!Robin's after having read F!Robin's.

As for the latter, what really irks me about Severa/Cordelia is the way Cordelia is so (either purposefully or genuinely) oblivious to the things Severa says. The B support, in particular, annoys me terribly.

Spoiler

Cordelia:
Here you are, then. My dessert is yours once again.

Severa:
...Thanks. So, what do you want to know today?

Cordelia:
Hmm, I know there was something I wanted to ask you... Ah, that's it. Why didn't you choose to be a pegasus knight?

Severa:
Ugh, because I'd sooner drink boiling tar than follow in your footsteps...

Cordelia:
...That's just a bit harsh, isn't it?

Severa:
If you want harsh, try living in the shadow of someone who's perfect at everything. Trust me, it's a NIGHTMARE. Everyone loves you and respects you and thinks you're pretty and smart and strong. I'm just a big pile of dog food...

Cordelia:
Ah ha ha, that's quite a list of compliments! I'm flattered, Severa.

Severa:
Hey, I'm just repeating what everybody ELSE says. I never said any of that!

Cordelia:
Oh? ...Then what DO you think of me? What sort of mother was I?

Severa:
Perfect, of cour— Er... *AHEM* I mean, you were a coldhearted, selfish brute who abandoned your only daughter!

Cordelia:
Severa, I...I'm so sorry. *sniff*

Severa:
H-hey... No fair crying... I didn't mean it. Of course I didn't mean it... You were kind and pretty and strong and perfect... All right?! Are you happy now...?

Cordelia:
Ah... I'm sorry, dear, but yes. I am. It warms my heart to hear you say that.

Severa:
Whatever. We're done here!

Cordelia:
...My, she is quick when she wants to be. Quicker than me, that's for certain. But she doesn't need to know I became a pegasus knight because I'm a lousy runner...

It confuses me that Cordelia focuses on the "compliments," completely ignoring that Severa has referred to herself as "dog food." As a parent, one would think that Cordelia's first instinct would be to admonish her daughter for putting herself down before reassuring her that she is indeed more than that. Next, she begins to cry when Severa calls her some mean things  - which is understandable - to keep up her prickly facade but, she is not interested in finding out the reason her daughter would say such things in the first place. She is not bothered that her daughter would rather lie about how she feels about her; she completely ignores the frustration that Severa not-so-subtly hides in front of everyone else. I find it completely improbable that she does not sense that, while Severa loves her, she also feels another distinct feeling towards her.

Like, I could be misinterpreting that support line, but I would still have some negative feelings on it even if I weren't.

1 hour ago, Harvey said:

oh and I don't suppose Tharja being very obsessed in me, Louise obsessing herself to mother those close to her because of her wanting kids of her own don't mean otherwise?

I'll admit that there's too many supports that have her talk about Corrin but how else is Camilla suppose to express her feelings anyways? Atleast she doesn't talk about it to those who don't know how much she loves Corrin like Kaze or Laslow even. Heck, she shows affection to Selena as well so what about that?

Yeah, I'm a Camilla fanboy so sue me.

Well, I dislike Tharja just a much for that same reason (and for being largely a fanservice character, though not to the extent of Camilla). Louise isn't as bad, because she has a life and conversations outside of that. (Her relationship with Erk comes to mind here.)

And the problem isn't that she cares about Corrin, but that...that's the vast majority of her character. I can't think of many other traits she has besides "cares about Corrin" and "acts in a slightly suggestive manner." She's just not interesting or believable imo because of that reason.

Edited by Extrasolar

12 hours ago, Gustavos said:

But I'm glad something possessed me to read Caeldori x Selena because that was surprisingly deep.

I love the Caeldori and Selena support, mostly because I like references to past games.  It also shows more of Selena/Severa's personality and how she feels about Cordelia.

I finished replaying both FE6 and FE9 not too long ago.

In FE6, I really like Gonzalez and Echidna's support.  While Gonzalez knows he's ugly, he still tries to help a village out even though people make fun of him for it.  My favorite part is actually when Echidna says, "All right, Gonzalez. I don't believe in that 'As long as you have a kind heart...' crap. You're ugly. People made fun of you because of it."

I also like Fir and Bartre because it kind of portrays Bartre as the loud and embarrassing father that Fir has to comfort when he gets emotional.

In PoR, Ike and Titania is really nice because it sheds some light on Titania's past and how she felt about Greil.

Ike and Elincia is also nice because it kind of shows a reflection of the journey the characters took throughout the game and shows the development of both Ike and Elincia.

Neimi and Colm is a good one in my opinion. It's the first support I read when I started playing FE8, my first FE game, so it's always one that I'll look back on and feel nostalgic.

Cormag and Dussel is pretty interesting. 

All Ephraim's supports. I like how he interacts with the characters he can support with. And I like his personality overall. 

Ike and Titania is really great. 

Boyd and Titania is sweet but funny as well. 

Florina and Farina is also very high up there for me. 

Hector and Lyn is pretty cool too. 

Those are the ones that really come to mind. 

Edited by Avarice_Shadow