The Golden Age. Act 2: Converging Paths.

riariadne

Ashley spewed out weapons, names and places at an absurd pace, with Aaron struggling to retain it all. "Is that right..." Still, Raz had the foundations of a plan set, and that was better than nothing right now. "If Kaya has another vision, I wouldn't object, but I don't think we can depend on it." Veiro seemed like their best option for now, if they were to intercept Timaeus.

He just wasn't sure if that was a good idea in general, at the rate the time mage was gathering power. "Thank you for your aid." Aaron bowed at Ashley with Raz, more than ready to get going. They had a lot on their plate now.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telmara was about to speak up, but an annoying cat cut her off. She quietly hissed, waiting for the cat to finish, and becoming ultimately annoyed that she'd made a good point. "That c-could be it. Being exposed to gifts could be making something involved with the magic in your tattoos either react or grow. As for an archsage... I only knew one. His name was Thalnor. He worked at the university I taught at... He might still be alive. It wasn't that long, since... I mean, relatively..." He'd been an experienced man, but she didn't know his age. Whether or not eighteen years had done him in or not, she didn't know.

"Sorry that I can't help with this more. All of this magic is... It's all so far removed from anything I taught, or studied in depth. I can only make educated guesses, and even those aren't very educated... Heh." She pulled at her hair some, feeling a bit useless. Blasting someone on a battlefield with a claw full of magic, or teaching the basics to someone like Raz, Telmara could do that in her sleep. This was... Beyond all of that.

"Mmnn... I suppose." Mikhaila wasn't one for sitting around if things required attention, but a worn mind made for a worn warrior. Raz had that much right. "Let us see about Kaya, then, and have her decide from our options. She's still the leader, after all." Maybe Raz would make a better leader, all things considered... For someone so seemingly oblivious to things, she seemed rather intelligent when it mattered. I'll have to keep an eye on her.

Patient Planning

"That and more was taken. I doubt any of the other ones are even of remotely comparable power to the Cosmic Dream, and yet... it is a grim omen. What exactly Timaeus is planning isn't clear, and that makes it much harder to figure out how to stop him," Ashley observed. "It is only obvious that he wants power, but what exactly does he want to do with it? He calls himself King of Time, but the Throne of Dreams cannot simply be taken by force. And nobody would support someone like him, who stages attacks and thefts... well, maybe a few Councilors with twisted priorities, but I digress. In addition to your own search, we will be continuing our own research in Fordright as to what could be occurring. And, hmm... if you'd like, I could assign you a guard to bring along. We are still very defensive with the siege freshly in our mind, but that can't let us ignore what is happening in the outside world, so someone extra should be helpful, I would hope?"

(fuk u marth)

Journeying Onwards

Trine Castle proved a much better place to rest than in the fields that the group had rested in traveling- the rooms provided were quite luxurious and comfortable. Still, with time of the essence, they were off early enough the next morning to travel towards Koerm's capital, Port Veiro- and one of the places that had been robbed of treasure. As they left for the docks to take the river and reach there more quickly, a sharply dressed man on a horse overtook them before dismounting his steed and bowing.

"I was fortunate to catch you all before you left. I am Lord Yarvus Johnson, a knight in service to the Mazzarin duchy, and the Duchess requested I accompany you to assist on your quest in search of the Gifts and combatting the actions of Timaeus," he introduced himself. "I am at your command for as long as you deem my presence necessary, both in and out of battle. I possess some skill in the magical arts, and have received training from Duke Reid himself to further hone my abilities, so I hope not to disappoint. Now then, with that settled, I understand that it is important to make haste- I'll not chat on any longer. I'm sure you've had quite an earful from Duchess Ashley already."

Chapter 5: Thievery's Wake

January 5th, 963, 11 AM. Ford River, Trine.

The aquatic journey across the Ford River towards Veiro went smoothly for two days, but it was just before noon of the third day that trouble struck- on the horizon were wreckages of a trio of other ships lay in the way of any hopes of any further transportation. "This is terrible! Whatever happened, they've completely blocked off any way of getting past... trying to ram them would be far too risky, and we don't have the manpower to try and dislodge them at all," the ship's captain told the passenger group, shaking her head. "Who knows when such manpower can arrive?"

"We are at quite the impasse, then," Yarvus noted. "Are we to wait here while the time mage Timaeus has free reign to roam across Titan, attacking and taking from whomever he pleases, while we lack mobility and possess poor leads as to what he could be up to? Truly we've found ourselves in a dire situation."

"Well... we're not terrrrribly far from Veiro, are we?" Velvet spoke up. "It's usually about four days by ship from Fordright, and we're part of the way through our third day. It's unfortunate that we've been delayed, but if we were to depart the ship and walk... we could probably make it in three days if we're quick by foot. That way, we could notify the city of the wreckage and see if they can deploy a crew necessary to clear it for others- or if we're lucky, we could even find some help nearby and make the journey even quicker. I wonder... could Timaeus be responsible for this? He seems to hound us at every turn, but to anticipate our movement would be absurd, unless that's another quirk of his magic."

"I wouldn't suspect this to be his work. From my observations, Timaeus is a very meticulous fellow," Yarvus proposed instead. "This sort of chaotic attack is very different from the organized siege on Fordright. Still, the circumstances in which we are in seem far too unlikely to be a complete coincidence. There are hostile forces about, but I would bet against them being due to anyone's own actions against us, rather simply a product of the volatile times we live in."

"Perhaps so." The demicat shrugged. "In any case, if you wouldn't mind, we could use the gangplanks to reach the shore and begin from there. It seems much better to me than simply sitting about while our ship is anchored. But I can't help but think that our way being obstructed is a sign of ill omen ahead of us... let's go on."

Leaving the ship didn't prove too difficult- the ship could come quite close to the shore without being in danger due to the steep banks of the river, and the planks were sturdy enough to support even Telmara's weight, though Yarvus's horse was briefly spooked. "Now then! If I remember correctly from past travels, there's a military outpost that isn't too far from here, a few miles at most," Velvet began again once everyone collected their bearings. "Since we're close to where the river meets the sea, and... well, it's not that close to the boarder, but close enough. Maybe the soldiers there would have some clue as to how to handle the situation at the river. It's not likely that they'd have a perfect answer, but it's northwest anyway, on our way to Koerm. Unfortunately, we're only about halfway through the journey in terms of distance, since it's much easier to travel in the open ocean. Setbacks like these will only serve to make our journey even more of a struggle, but we'll simply have to make the best of the situation."

Edited by Reinfleche
yarvus

Joviana yawned as she heard a couple of people among the group ponder over sighting of ship wreckage. She shook her head at Yarvus' exaggerations of the situation, not to keen on hunting down Timaeus. The wreckage didn't seem like an issue to her- they could just blast their way through the wreckage with magic.

Which is why she was puzzled when the group decided to land the ship at one of the banks. Turning to Velvet, she asked, "Are you sure that we should for the military outpost nearby? We could just use our magic to destroy or move out any wreckage in our way. There's three of us and Lord Yarvus, should he wish to help us out with it. Why take the longer route when there's an easier way out?"

An Object of My Interest, (Evening before the voyage, Guest Rooms, Fordright's Castle)

Raz had set up quite a few things in her room, making sure the extra chair and the ordered meal would be done on time. It was all set~. Now was time to call the guest of honor, one that had been a puzzle to her for so long. Raz knocked on the door to Mika's own room. "Heey! Mikhaila? Are you there?" Well, she knew she was there, Raz asked the question earlier that day, but better safe than sorry.
---
Oh, there was Raz. For some... Dinner suggestion. She'd thought it weird, but she didn't want to stand up the girl for no reason. Coming to the door, she opened it with little hesitation, her stoic face staring down at Raz. "Yes, I am... I suppose it's time then?"
---
"Of course it is, you're ready, right? So let's go." Cheerily enough, Raz led Mikhaila back to her room, opening the door and gesturing Mikhaila to get in first. It was just a courtesy, the room wasn't anything special, very similar to Mikhaila's own, but there was a good amount of food on a table, with plates, silverware, and two opposing chairs for them. It was probably a bit weird to dine just the two of them, but Raz kept her cheery demeanor. "Make yourself at home!"
---
Wearing her normal attire, Mikhaila wondered if there was something special she should've done to get ready for their little eat... Maybe? But Raz hadn't said anything against things, so she didn't question it. "Alright... I never did ask, why are we doing this...?" Was that rude? Probably. She stepped into Raz's room and took an unassuming seat, looking around a bit. There was a lot of food there...
---
"Well, I think it's nice to know the people you're risking your neck with better." Raz started, having expected this sort of question already. "And besides, nothing wrong with trying to have a better time not eating alone, right? Well, I think so anyways." She closed the door behind her, walking towards the table casually. "They offer a lot of meat for cheap, so why not?" She seated herself opposite to Mikhaila, giving a kind smile. "Mikhaila, I really wonder how somebody like you got on this journey... out of everybody --sorry if it bothers you, but-- you are the one that sticks out the most, so... I'm curious, to know why you've been tagging along, what makes you tick." She tilted her head, almost cute puppy eyes staring at Mikhaila curiously.
---
"I... See. I suppose that makes sense. All of... That." She was a bit taken back by the person asking these questions being Raz. Not Kaya or Aaron? And sticking out the most? "You'd think the snake would stick out the most to everyone. This is just an unfortunate heirloom, that's all. I left home to seek a way to remove it... But now I seek to master it. There's not much else to me, I'm afraid." That was incredibly evident, given her behaviour at the castle. Only good as muscle, huh... Not that she minded, but. 

"Was there anything beyond that?"
---
"Heh. It's true that Telmara sticks out more in the physical sense..." Raz chuckled at that, picking a bite for herself. "Her motivations aren't that unusual, though, she's scared of herself and wants to learn her magic back... while you wanted to remove that, but didn't, huh?" Raz was staring intently at the mask at that point, "And what made you change? I thought this wasn't a thing you wanted? Furthermore... what do you want to do with mastering it?"
---
How curious... "Why all the prodding, first of all? I don't owe you any of my motivations... So I could simply withhold them, and leave you hanging. Give me a reason why I should say them."
---
Wha... huh, she wasn't going to be that forward, was she? "Well, it's because... I don't know anything about you, or your talismans, or that heirloom." She figured that much was fine to say, "Not a thing, it makes me curious... and I wanted to know why, why there's so little about you and your family... we're going to be fighting together a lot, after all, won't we?" Hmm, so she wasn't that open to talking...
---
"Are you sure? That it's just... Idle curiosity...?"
---
"What's wrong with that? I'm interested in you, so..." Raz tilted her head to the other side, a soft smile creeping up. "A dashing warrior of a lady that acts like a headless chicken in formal settings... you can't tell me I can't be a bit curious!" The smile formed into a more confident grin after saying that.
---
Mikhaila flushed a mild shade of red. "I was hoping you wouldn't bring that up. I just... Have no experience in such a place. That's all that was. I should be fine, from now on." A small grumble followed, and she sighed. "I... Simply wish to not let the mask control me. And I seek power... Is that so odd? I found this, and I should be able to govern it... With all my knowledge of spirits, it wouldn't do to let something take me over, would it?" She cocked an eyebrow at Raz, figuring she would agree.

"And if I managed to get control over it, I'm sure I'd be able to take it off, as well. Two birds, one stone."
---
Raz held back a giggle at Mikhaila's protest, wishing to hear her out first. "I see. Well, there's some merit to that. I'm sure most here are looking for power of some sort..." Raz knew she was, for instance. "Maybe you're onto something, with that mask, but I wouldn't know without learning more about it and about spirits... you sure seem determined, huh? I can get that."

Her grin still present, Raz continued with a sheepish tone. "If you seek power, you'll have to deal with those situations where you have to keep a straight face. You looked endearing, like a lost chick waiting for her mom, but I'm sure that's not the aura you want to give..  is it?" A devious plan coming to mind, Raz's bare leg carefully nudged forward under the table, brushing against Mikhaila's own.
---
There, she understood. Nothing else to be said about it, right? Well, apparently there was, Raz going back to her missteps. "Listen, I just... R-Raz?" She felt something brush her under the table, easily recognizing it as the girl's leg. She stared at her, confused, pulling her own back. What was that? "I'm sure that it'll come with practice..." She bit into a strip of bacon with a small scowl, wondering if this was going to be... Something more than simple talk.
---
Hmm~ That flustered scowl was lovely, Raz had to hold back a small giggle before she embarrassed Mikhaila further. "It can't come with practice if you avoid it. You can't be just a spirit-calling killing machine, there's a whole social part to being human. You can't be so easily flustered if you want to stand your ground, especially as a woman." She bit a small piece of meat, quickly done with it. "Unless you really want to be a maiden, waiting for some handsome to swipe you off your legs and make you a trusting housewife... well, killwife in this case, maybe?" She put a finger on her lips, pensive. "Unless you'd like that..."
---
"Wh-What? What are you getting at? I don't... I don't need anyone like that!" She was getting far too flustered, far too fast, falling right into what Raz wanted, probably. She angrily bit at a roll, grumbling again, louder. "Look, I am perfectly fine the way I am. I don't have to change to fit into the palm of someone that wishes me a trophy... I was raised to fight, and that is what I will do, no matter what comes of it."
---
Hah! It was hard to not push too far, with these wonderful angry reactions. "Well, I'm just saying... if you have trouble being assertive, maybe being a trophy wouldn't be so uncomfortable. A lot of people are, so there's no shame in it... you don't have to change as much either!" She sowed the seeds, waiting for Mikhaila's reaction. "I mean... you never tried, so it's not like you know you don't like it, right? Just imagine it for a moment."
----
She grumbled, getting less upset. The only thing she wished to argue was if she knew that she'd like it or not. She had to stop to think for a moment, groaning and sighing. "I hate you." Why was Raz right. That was so annoying. "Why bring any of this up right now anyway? Why? I don't understand, I thought you wanted to talk about the mask, not my... My love life..." This was rather uncomfortable...
---
"Hate me, huh?" Getting Mikhaila to spill that with a flushed red face was more of a winning feeling than Raz would admit, leaning on the table with a wide smirk. "Oh, why not both? Like I said, there's more to life than just your killing arts, Mikhaila!" She couldn't hold back the giggle this time.  "I can say I find you very interesting in that regard... it's surprisingly relatable. I don't really have as much a presence in battle, but I have my strengths nonetheless. Besides..." She couldn't hold back at least a quip, "Your flustered face is adorable. Even with that mask on the way."
----
"Qui... Quit messing with me!" She moved her hand to the hilt of her sword, still flushed red, glaring Raz down. "Look, we're h-here to talk about my quirks, not... Not this romance foolishness! This isn't some knight's tale, this is real life. We have to find the relics, not.. Dawdle on if someone likes me! Gods... What's wrong with you? You're treating this like this is some sort of..." She froze, looking at Raz, then the food, then the-- oh Gods. "Do... Do you... L-Like me?"
---
"Hah!" Raz had to stop her laughing with the tip of her fingers over her curled lips, looking at Mikhaila's angry struggle with a sense of delight. "Ah~ Now who's talking romance? I don't mind talking about these things... now I can say I think you might be my fancy..." She circled a finger in front of her, staring at Mikhaila amusedly. "But that doesn't mean it was all a setup to this... not necessarily, you just react so easily..." She smirked again, "No holding a grudge on a girl for having her fun, please~"
---
"You're not a girl, you're some scheming creature. Enough of this, are you just doing it to tease me? What do you want from this?" She still held her sword's hilt tightly, worried this might turn into something else. But, it was just Raz, right? What could Raz do... A bit of magic, toss an arrow. Bother her ceaselessly... "If you come clean, I won't hold a grudge..."
---
"Scheming creature?" Raz jumped back on her seat, tone not as perturbed as her reaction would imply. "Please, Mikhaila... You can't fault me for having a bit of fun, can you? Really, it's nothing serious... you're just so cute like that, I couldn't help it~" She giggled back at Mikhaila.
---
"I said stop... Is there anything else you want?" This was just turning into endless teasing, not something she wanted to put up with. "If there's nothing else, then I should probably leave..."
---
"Hah, of course, silly. Honestly, you're much easier to rile up than I thought." Holding a smile, Raz rested her chin atop her intertwined hands, leaning on the table with increased interest on the warrior woman. "What do you think of your current power. Can you control that mask as good as you think you do? How exactly does... controlling it work?" The logic behind it was simple. If Mikhaila could turn on them against her will, then there were things she couldn't be trusted with, unfortunately...
---
"I have no experience in dealing with this. That I rile easily should not surprise you... So please, do not toy with me." That only invited more, but she had to say it, slowly easing off of her hilt. "You see me in battle, do you not? I can control the mask just fine. There's nothing to worry about, if you are. It's simply a force of will, and while I am not strong in this... I am perfectly fine when it comes to battle. The mask does nothing unless I choose to use it."
---
"Uh-huh... and you'd rather stay with no experience in this and keep getting riled up? Poor you~" Raz snickered, though quickly got back to a more normal tone, tilting her head. "So it's a force of will... is it in any way tied to your talismans, or would it be just two different skills you learned, in this case?" It was a bit curious, to say the least.
---
"Rrrrrr..." Mikhails growled louder, giving Raz a scowl that held no more playfulness. "They're separate. The mask... Was hubris. I learned all I could from my family's teachings, and I felt this would be of no issue to me. I put it on... And I couldn't take it off. It used to speak to me, whisper things that it... Wished to give me more power, if I would give myself over to it. Now it remains quiet, unless I use it of my own accord. I can only get better at controlling it, from here on."
---
Raz could only return a wide smile back to Mikhaila for her scowl, completely happy with the reaction, even if the warrior girl was done being playful... or perhaps especially so? "I see, so it lured you with promises of power." That didn't sound any good at all, and was an underlying theme in Mikhaila's actions. Always after power, more power. If only she could really master them. "Maybe so, are you confident the mask won't act up and try to control you one day? That part about giving yourself to it honestly sounds ominous."
---
"I'm perfectly confident... I..." This wasn't terrible to share, was it? "I spoke with a Shylah. In the last town. She helped me with my mask. Since, it has been easier to control, and hasn't spoken up unless activated. I can only imagine this to be a good thing. So I am very confident that I will be able to control it completely... Do you doubt me?"
---
"I see..." Raz lifted her head, quickly absorbed by Mikhaila's new information, even forgetting her playful mood for a moment. "So you think, because Shylah granted you this help, the mask is easier to control?" It was hard to say, but perhaps the sage's greater knowledge of dark magic was a key to controlling the mask. "Hmm, so you might need to delve into dark magic... maybe it is what powers that thing after all." She nodded to herself, almost forgetting Mikhaila for a moment. "It's not that I doubt you... it's because it is so unique. I've never heard of it, and there's only so much to go on... so I would like to know its true colors, but I suppose that's for you to find out, huh?"
---
"Perhaps... We shall see as time goes on, whether this becomes easier to control or not. I will figure it out, though. I will not be a hindrance to this group... That much I can promise. If a time comes that I find myself unable to control this, I will leave. I would much rather not bring harm to any of you... It is..." She coughed, clearing her throat. "It is nice, to have a group of people that were willing to take along someone like me. You do know how many I frighten, don't you?"(editado)
---
"I see..." Raz nodded her head, sitting in silence for a moment. "...So maybe figuring out how that mask works is for the best. If there's anything I learn, I suppose it'll be best to share with you." She mumbled, looking down to the table for a moment, reflecting on the matter, or perhaps more at hand. Mikhaila's cough turned Raz's attention back quickly enough, eyes on the warrior lady, and her surprising positive words. "I'm sure lost count of the weird looks you get when we are in a city. It's rough, huh? What a downer... so many people will fail to spot the frail maiden beneath the mask." Raz snickered.
---
Ahh, so Raz was going to keep playing this game, was she? Mikhaila glared at her, the eery glow on her mask flaring to life, as she scowled her down. "I am not. Frail. And you will learn how wrong it is to continue this line of conversation... Do not give me a reason to use this."
---
"Whoa!" Raz flinched back against her chair, raising her hands. "Calm down, girl. It was just a few compliments.... hahaha~" Despite her tone not sounding so regretful, Raz was very much wary in the way she stared at the glowing mask. "You're really going to resort to violence over this, Mikhaila? And you think that's not reason for me to doubt you at times?" Hopefully Mikhaila would understand it and calm down... "You won't get any points in being less frightening if you do this, for example..."
---
"I know I won't. But I've told you to stop, multiple times now. If you aren't going to listen, then I have to resort to one of the only things that will make you." She sighed, taking a moment, and the mask's glow stopped. She shook her head. "I'm sorry." She bit her lip, thinking a moment. "I do not like people making light of the few strengths I do have. You can make your jokes all you want, but there is no 'frail maiden' hiding underneath anything. I am strong. And I will become stronger. Do not forget that, simply because I cannot retort to flirting..."
---
Ah, so that was what it was all about. "Aww, it wasn't meant to be a shot at your strength, Mikhaila... it was just an endearing factor. Sure, you're Mikhaila, the swordswoman and master of this talisman technique... but you can be more than that, you know? Maybe enjoy other aspects of life?" Raz tilted her head, though her teasing had subdued a lot at this point. "Well, I know it's hard with that mask stuck there... but I never meant harm with my comments, I just find this side of you endearing. I suppose I can stop if it's too much, for now." She relaxed a bit more, after the mask's glow stopped, leaning on the table once more.
---
"Hah." Mikhaila let out a rather annoyed grunt of a laugh, shaking her head. "Don't you see? As long as this is a permanent fixture, it's foolish to look for anything past my work. You said so yourself, Raz, I scare everyone I pass by. And do not front. You were just as scared a moment ago. I... I do not know if this would begin to work in the thralls of... You know. And I would rather avoid any situation like that, if I can be able to."
---
"Well, it won't be stuck forever, right? Besides... people you live with, us, will look past the mask with time. I'm sure Telmara and Kaya appreciate your help. Velvet too, probably. You can be scary if you want... but if you want us to see past that, we can always work towards it." Raz knocked on the table, shaking her head. "And let's not get into that, if it comes to that, it'll be a matter of its own. We accepted you without full knowledge of the risks, after all. So why not give it some thought?"

Raz stood from her table, offering a smile to the conflicted woman. "Besides, I already see past that, where do you think I got all my compliments from?"
---
"That is the plan, yes... And I-I know. It is just difficult. It will come with time. As will this device's removal." All she could do was think, while not fighting. Perhaps people thought she didn't... That would be an issue. Raz getting up did surprise Mikhaila a bit, flinching slightly, only out of reflex. "I'm sure you had reasons beyond me to come up with jokes like that. And I'm sure you have jokes prepared for all of the group, should it come to it... Call it just a hunch, but you are far too curious a person. I do not know what, or if, you are planning something... But were you to be revealed, I wouldn't be surprised."
---
"Wha... hmmhmm~ Well, what can I say? I'm a curious person, and there's a lot I want to know here. Titan is small and remote, but holds a lot of secrets." Raz smirked, walking over to Mikhaila with trained eyes. "Just because I might think ahead doesn't make it less special, you know? Like I said, if I can find something that will help you, I'll share. No strings attached!"
---
"And the way you talk," she held, continuing her thoughts after Raz finished, "is very calculated. You're saying things to throw me off... And it's working. I do not know how to combat you in this sort of setting..."
---
"Well, why do you need to combat me?" Raz tilted her head, keeping her smile all the time. "Do you think I'm ill-intentioned? I'm not going to backstab the group, you know... I need you guys, and am proud enough to pull my weight on this. So..." She inched a bit closer to Mikhaila. "Why not trust me, this time?"
---
"Because... I... I don't, I suppose." She huffed quietly, shaking her head. It was tough... "I do not know if you are or not, and that is what sets me to worry. You've been asking me all about myself, but not offered a bit of your own. It is difficult to trust you, like you ask me to. Not that I would knot what to ask, were you to give me reign to do so..."
---
"Hmm, is that so?" Raz took a step back, gaze falling on the floor. "I suppose... I'm not that much more interesting than everybody else here." She shrugged, "You've got you, a priestess with body covered in dragon symbolism, the demihumans, Aaron and his adoration of that fake axe... well, I'm just a girl with ideas, in comparison."
---
"That's not what I said, Raz... And you know that." A wry smile slid onto Mikhaila's face. "All I said was that you haven't offered anything of yourself up, this whole time. If you wish to, then by all means. I don't think you're boring at all."
---
"Well, isn't somebody learning how to be pushy!" Raz stuck her tongue out, for a fraction of a moment, her fight coming back to her. "Considering you find me interesting, and I find you adorable, I think we'll hit off pretty well, Mikhaila. You'll have to be a bit more assertive if you want to show you're that interested. Or perhaps you want me to fall for your pure maiden heart and spill the beans?"
---
"Unamused, Raz." She sighed, shaking her head, resting on her fist as she propped up an elbow. "I'm just offering for you to share about yourself, if you wish. If you're just going to keep prodding at me, I have other things I can do."
---
"Tch." That wasn't a reaction Raz enjoyed, mellowing down in a matter of seconds. "I'm just a girl from Trine, raised with my grandmother, dreaming lofty dreams. My mother... is foreign, and my father was a knight back in the day, but he was always on service, and died in his duty." She shrugged, "Perhaps the highlight of my life is that I was one of the few people Noctus took interest in. I had the chance to meet him once, when he crossed my village, I knew he looked important, but I was too young to have an idea back then, I probably just bothered him to no end." She chuckled, "That's where I learned how light magic works... kind of. I don't practice as much as I should, but it does the job. It certainly motivated me." That was getting quite lenghty... Raz rested her voice for a moment.
---
"See? What's boring about that, you got to meet with one of the great legends of the land. Much more interesting than a mask no one's ever heard of, no? Or, that's how I see it. It's good to know you weren't raised by a group of outcasts or hermits, either. Normal can be a good thing..."
---
"Hmm, it's relative, I suppose." Raz shrugged, "I certainly find it interesting, an artifact of power unheard of? One that calls for a wielder? That's beyond curious. But I suppose it's different when you live it, huh?" Something like that was the 'normal' for Mikhaila, in that sense.
---
"You wouldn't be happy if you were wearing it, is all that I'll say..."
---
"I'm sure it's no trivial thing, Mikhaila, or even pleasant, but you'll have to pardon me. I just find it very intriguing."Raz continued to eye the mask with veiled interest under a soft smile. "You don't need to be so miserable because of it."
---
"I know I don't. I don't try to be miserable... Was, that all, then?" It wasn't that she wasn't enjoying the talk, it was more that... She felt out of place in this situation. The food was good, the conversation was alright... But... There was something off.
---
"Hmm? Don't you want to eat your food anymore? Or do I just bother you? You keep asking if I'm done with you!" Raz giggled, resting the side of her face on a hand as she kept eyeing Mikhaila.
---
"It just feels like you want something more out this conversation, and I don't have anything else to give you... So I don't quite know what to say. We both know that socializing isn't my greatest skill..."
---
"Hmmhmm~ Well, I know it isn't, but I didn't think you were this scared to have a conversation... besides, I'm getting what I want just from talking to you." Raz winked, "You can't mean to say I'm not allowed to enjoy your company!"
---
"Being honest... I am, a bit scared of you. You're quite the linguist... Feels like you could get me to say something silly. I've been noticing a few things you've been coming at me with, but I won't notice them all. That you enjoy my company is rather flattering, though..."
---
"Really, now, why can't you relax a little? What's so scary about me out of all of us?" Holding back a chuckle, Raz inched ever closer, stepping onto Mikhaila's personal space. "Of couse I do, not everything I say has to be calculated, even by your logic, hmm? I am allowed to be intrigued by the person behind the mask, right?"
---
"I've built my life around being tense. Relaxing is difficult." Why Raz was getting closer to her was beyond her, but she didn't stop her. She wasn't an up close fighter. If she pulled a knife, or tried to attack her, it would go very poorly for the girl. "You can be intrigued, I suppose. All it does is make me wonder about what I asked earlier."
---
"Relaxing is difficult, huh? Well, I sure can see that." She snickered, moving ever closer, in front of Mikhaila. "So maybe you just need more than words, just think..." She leaned over the warrior girl, sitting on her lap on impulse, Raz was face to face with Mikhaila for a second, sitting height accounted for, brushing her lips against Mikhaila's own, and the mask. As sudden as it happened, it was over, Raz quick to give her some space after, leaping back and bringing a finger to her own lips. "Hmmhm, so that is the taste of your lips..."
---
"If you can see that, then... Raz? Raz what are you--!" Whatever this more than words was became quickly apparent, Mikhaila blushing and freezing as Raz kissed her. She didn't understand it at all, remaining frozen for a moment after it ended, before jumping out of her chair, hand on her sword, ready to swing. "Wh-What are you doing!?" Wh-What was... Just... What? Why? "I, I-- why?"
---
"Whoa, keep your sword down!" Raz raised her arms, stepping back, erring on the side of caution. "I just wanted to kiss you once... you can be fairly attractive for somebody with half their face masked." She huffed, managing a weak smile. "I thought I could get you flustered again if I was more forward, haha..."
---
"You...! You just... That's, so stupid." She took a heavy breath, letting her hand shift away from her sword, gently resting against her chest to help her calm down more. "I know I cut your teasing off, but going that far is definitely ridiculous. Especially as a joke... Even I know those sorts of actions are severe for a lot of people."
---
"Oh, you misunderstand, Mikhaila." Raz slowly lowered her hands, forcing back a smile at Mikhaila's heavy breathing. "This is no joke... perhaps a fleeting passion,  I can't know yet, but I'm sure what I feel is more... attraction." Raz smiled again, walking closer as the swordswoman allowed her. "From the way you hold yourself to the way you talk, get embarrassed. Your diligent training, the mysterious nature behind you... even the part of your face I can see, is captivating. I might be interested in all of you, Mikhaila..." She thought to complete that sentence, but held back.
---
"I misunderstand?" As Raz got closer, Mikhaila's gaze narrowed, grabbing her by the shirt and holding her up. "Do not mock me, girl..." She let her go, looking away. "We've known each other for no time at all. For you to be this enthralled, it can be nothing more than a sick joke. Does teasing the girl in the mask amuse you? Just like everyone else..."
---
"Hmm?" Raz held her breath when she was grabbed, but was thankfully freed soon as well, steeling her feet. She giggled. "Oh, it's no sick joke. Perhaps it is that my tastes are peculiar, but no sick joke." Something about Mikhaila's flustered scowl just ticked with her, after all. "It does, it does amuse me, and make me all the more interested in you. Don't take this as twisted fun, Mikhaila...  I just can't help wanting to see your flustered face. Beautiful, even through that mask."
---
"Shut up!" She bit her lip, shrinking back some. "Do not toy with me! I am not meant for these things, so don't... Don't you dare do this to me, Raz."
---
"See, you keep doing that. I can barely hold back, you know?" Raz continued to move closer to Mikhaila, "A beautiful warrior with such a side to her, and you say I can't be attracted to you?" Ever closer, with a smile, staring eye to eye.
---
"S-Stop..." This was just a lie. A terrible, horrible lie. She was a monster, meant for acquaintances at best. No one was supposed to develop any attachment to her! This wasn't... "Please..." Two trails of tears fell down her face.
---
"Sorry." Her content smirk never faded, as she moved face to face against Mikhaila again, grabbing hold of the swordwoman's chin. "I can't help but want you to myself... even if just for a moment." She moved in, taking another kiss from Mikhaila. This one lasted longer, Raz's eyes closed as she clearly savored it, ignoring the mask as she nibbled Mikhaila's lips. After a moment too long, Raz popped off, catching her breath.
---
"You're not, s-sorry, Raz don't... Mmmn..." Mikhaila had braced herself up against the wall, crying further as Raz pressed herself up against those quivering lips. She flinched, froze up, trembling. Strong arms found themselves sliding around Raz's back, hugging her closer, holding her tight. As the kiss finally ended, Mikhaila only held onto her harder, trying not to sob between the tears. "You can't take this back. You can't, not now... Because if you ever treat this, as some joke..." She could only cling onto her, unable to do anything in this situation.
---
Ah~ So that was did it... Raz looked at Mikhaila's teary eyes with a wide smile, so happy getting the chance to see this side of the warrior. "I won't take this back, silly, not now. I just want you more and more." She moved in closer again, planting another kiss, brief as it was. Seeing Mikhaila like this was so... empowering, cathartic. "I want you, that is no joke." A hand moved to the side of Mikhaila's face, carressing her cheek as Raz stared contently at her.
---
Mikhaila only held on tighter and tighter, worried she was hurting her, but not wanting to give her the chance to get away. You didn't just give a monster something so pleasant and then tear it away, after all... "Promise me," she mumbled. "Promise that tomorrow, you won't laugh this away..."
---
Raz's lips curled into a wry smile, hand holding the side of Mikhaila's face as she was hugged tighter. It hurt a bit now, but to see this side of Mikhaila, some small inconvenience was trivial. "I promise." She spoke up, slowly and deliberately. "I wouldn't laugh at you as a joke, Mikhaila. Only out of happiness." Raz kept her smile, all the while.
---
Gently letting her arms untighten, and rest against Raz, Mikhaila sighed. "Okay. Okay... I'm going to hold you to that. Please, don't disappoint me."
---
"Of course I won't." Raz breathed easier as the grasp on her was weakened, this time wrapping her free arm around Mikhaila's waist. "I'm very serious about this. I don't need to say it again and again, do I?" Mikhaila had truly become a frail maiden, when the topic changed to this. It was incredibly endearing to Raz, making sure to keep her hold of the warrior. "I'll do my best not to disappoint~" Not wanting to hold back anymore, Raz leaned in for a last kiss, holding for much longer than the previous two.
---
"You will very likely have to say it plenty, Raz... Mm..." There it was again, Mikhaila still in quite the shock. This little brown haired girl had turned her into a trembling mess, with some pretty words and promises. Of course, she didn't believe it, still. Whether this was just a passing fascination for the girl, or something more, she didn't know, nor did she want to place her faith in it. For now... As much as it would hurt later, it was comforting to have someone so interested in her.
---
Raz continued the kiss, holding Mikhaila whilst taking the lead. It was a very powerful feeling for her, and she made no effort to hide how she was enjoying the moment as well, breaking the kiss with a brief gasp. "Hah... Then I will say it, again and again, for my poor Mikhaila~" Her wry smirk was back again, leaning her forehead against Mikhaila's. "I am not lying when I say I'm fascinated by you."
---
"Tch..." Mikhaila was as red as they got, still unable to deal with all of the things Raz was saying. "O-Okay... Raz." The only thing she could manage right now was to accept it, trying not to shove her away and run.

Convincing Kaya of heading north-bound to Veiro was somehow easier than expected, Raz was a bit curious if it concerned her visions for once... probably not. Somehow it was just easy to convince the group to following her ideas. At the edge of their continent, Veiro was receiving information left and right of the outside world... but that wasn't what they needed with the current news travelling as far as Madrigal of the foreign emperor. Still, there was a good chance that some information on the Gifts was there. There was always the peak, after all... and perhaps Timaeus would want to greet the foreign emperor in person? That'll sure be a clash of personalities...

No sooner than the nick of time, their extra help promised by Ashley managed to find his way to them. "Of course... Lord Yarvus, welcome to the team. I'm sure somebody that has trained under Duke Reid is bound to be an exceptional mage." Raz acknowledged the mage with a slight bow, content with the curriculum of their aid. "We're bound to Veiro soon, if there's anything you know about the surroundings that'd be of use, feel free to share. We'll appreciate all the help we can get!"

---

Raz was not the least pleased at the obstructions they had to face. Delaying their arrival to the destination would only eat out at her impatience, with time being such a major concern. "It's probably not Timaeus' work, for certain..." Yarvus had a point. There was a chance this obstruction wasn't intentional, but still... it was a feeling of loath, to be slowed down like that.

Joviana's suggestion, thankfully, was something Raz could grasp to acquiesce her impatience. "Hey, that might work! I could lend a hand too, if we have the proper tome. Maybe we can brute force our way through these?" They'd have to do a good enough job that the debris wouldn't cause damage to the ship's hull. Hopefully the other mages would prove more destructive forces than Raz...

Edited by Xinnidy

Velvet stretched once they made it onto land and she'd said her part- the ship was so stuffy, and water was everywhere, that faster or not she was relieved to be off it for a bit. But, not too long after, Joviana raised an interesting question. "Magic to destroy the obstacles? I didn't think of that... but are you surrre that works? There's an awful lot of it, but maybe it's worth a try... even if we can't be rid of it all, we can possibly clear a path, and if not, no harm done unless it catastrophically fails. If you're all confident in your skills, then I don't see why not. I do have to question what sort of help that light magic would be here, though. There are strong light tomes, but I'm sure they weren't designed with ships in mind as the intended target. But, if you think it's useful, what do I know?" She raised up her hands, looking towards the wreckage. "You would probably be best trying from land to be closer, and it's still not the best vantage point, so I could see a lot of ways it proves tricky..."

"R-Raz," Mikhaila started up, after the cat spoke, "I believe she is right... While my knowledge of magic is rudimentary, I don't believe you have anything available that would aid the rest of the mages in disrupting this debris. You should wait while they give it their best shot." She was less stern, and sounded more as if this was a request. "It shouldn't take them long to clear it. Telmara is a rather skilled mage, and has that fire tome on her. Perhaps if they all concentrate, they'll simply... Blow up the obstruction."

"What Mikhaila said," Telmara started, slithering forward. "Joviana, Yarvus... If you can both come with me, we can give this a try. I'll hit it with a spell by myself once, just to see how sturdy this all is... Then Jovianna and I can try to do it together, and you, Yarvus... Can do whatever you have on you. I don't quite know what aspect of magic you practice..." Telmara seemed a lot more confident than before, gently getting her tome out and sliding along towards the shore near the wreckage. Wait, was she humming? She was, a little tune to herself. This can't be that hard.

Kaya slowly made her way down the gangplank, somewhat trying to avoid both Velvet and Telmara. She was relived when Jovi suggested a plan and Telmara immediately set off to take care of it. Now she just needed to wait. Sitting down on the ground, she pulled the dragon scale out of her pocket and began to slowly rotate it around in her hand absentmindedly as she watched the mages head off. The newest addition to their group seemed capable and hopefully would be helpful, both in removing this blockade as well as in general. Watching Telmara, she couldn't help but let her mind wander back to their conversation from yesterday and wonder just how fair she was being to the demi-human.

Telmara paced back and forth on their boat ride, hissing quietly to herself, occasionally stopping herself and trying to get her tongue to stop. It was a terrible habit that needed to stop coming up. She didn't want to like it. She didn't want to get used to it... But it felt so natural. She sighed. "I need to do something else... I'm just stuck thinking about how to deal with this time mage, it's getting me nowhere. I..." She blushed, slightly, moving along to the upper deck. She boat's boards creaked lightly under her weight, but she hadn't had an issue with them yet.

And there, was Kaya. She was... Meditating. Telmara didn't say anything, as much as she wished to, but if Kaya wasn't completely lost in her focus, she would have heard the creaking boards. Accursed tail, weighing so much... Telmara slowly curled up closer to her, watching her focus and meditate. What're you thinking about, right now? Are you just as worried as I am? But it's probably about your visions, more than this TImaeus guy... You've never had to deal with them being so weird and off... I know what you feel like. Having something so standard and normal changed in an instant. I wish I had the advice to help you worry less about that, but... Even I still don't really know how to cope. A sigh would've come out of her, were she not paying attention to the noises she was making. She'd probably already disturbed Kaya enough, coming over.

Breathe in, breathe out. Focusing had never been harder for Kaya. When she had lived with the Order and they had taught her how to meditate, it had come easy. She'd always been able to shut out the outside world and her inner thoughts, focusing instead on nothing. Calming herself and letting go of everything around her. But not today. The noises from outside weren't anything overly distracting either. This time, it was entirely her own inner thoughts that were tormenting her.

My gift is changing but why? And how? I can no longer trust my own powers to show me the truth or to even show me the future. The most recent vision was almost certainly of the past. But what if it wasn't? What if there is some strange future where Timeaus changes how he acts? Or what if my vision wasn't even true? The creak of the deck was noticed and briefly ignored before she sighed. Someone was there and it wasn't like she was getting anything useful done by sitting here failing to meditate.

Opening her eyes, she looked up. She wasn't overly surprised to see that it was Telmara. Most of the others in the group didn't usually approach her on their own, but the demi-human was always willing to stop by and talk with her. "Good morning Telmara. How are you doing today?" They'd been on the boat for a day already, and she was already ready to be off of it if she was being honest with herself. There was too much to be doing to be wasting time sitting on a boat with nothing to do.

"Oh... K, Kaya..." She'd ended up staring again. She couldn't help herself. It was another bad habit, but unlike her tongue's appreciation for awkward noises, she didn't quite mind this one. Kaya probably did, though. Looking down, trying to avoid those eyes, Telmara coughed quietly. "Uh... I-I'm alright. Just was, tired, and... Stuck in too many thoughts. I wanted to, t-talk to you, but I didn't want to... Bother you. Seems like I did..."

She always did end up bothering her, somehow. "I should just, leave you alone, huh..." No, come on, don't buy into that. What are you fishing for, pity? For her to tell you she doesn't mind if you bug her? Like... You can't just live your life looking for reinforcement on everything, Telm. I know life's different now... But...

Telmara's gaze was steady into her own at first before suddenly turning down and away, confusing Kaya slightly. Telmara always seemed so confident until it came to interacting with each other. It never really made sense if she was being honest. Still, there was at least something here she could fix.

Reaching out and grabbing Telmara's arm, she smiled. "Hey now, you didn't bother me. I was... Well to be honest, I was wasting my time trying to meditate. It wasn't exactly working. I have too many thoughts that refuse to be ignored right now. Honestly, you gave me an excuse to escape. Otherwise it would have just been giving up." She frowned for a second and sighed. "Guess it's still just giving up, I'm just pretending it's not."

Focus Kaya. She said she was here for something. Straightening her legs out of the crossed position they'd been in with a slight groan, she leaned back, supporting herself with her arms, and looking up at Telmara. "Did you have something specific you wanted to ask me, or did you just want to talk about anything?"

"Hh!" Telmara squeaked as her arm was grabbed, blushing, eyes going wide and studying Kaya's face to try and see what she was up to... Wh-Which just seemed to be comfort. With a quick sigh and a small breath, she tried to calm herself down, uncoiling her tail onto the deck some more. "Uhh... Yeah. Alright. G-Good to know I'm not, being a bother." Don't act uninterested, now. You got exactly what you wanted. Honestly... You're such a problem.

"I, just, wanted to ask you a-about your staff work. How long you've been training it, and... I-If there's ever been anything that you've had too much trouble using. Your healing is, uhm... Really effective. So I was wondering... How..." Ahhh, she'd gotten stuck staring at Kaya's eyes again. Not much she could do to hide that, realizing it and looking away, not trying to play it off. "S-Sorry... You're really pretty."

Clearing her throat and trying to focus, she nodded again. "Just, uh... Yeah. Th-That. And that staff you had with you, what is it, exactly...?"

The squeak that had come from Telmara was simultaneously cute and amusing, and a small giggle escaped from Kaya before she could stop it. It had also gotten her to look back at her instead of the deck, which was an improvement. She seemed unsettled too, but she did seem to actually have a question, one which surprised Kaya a bit.

"My healing? Well... I actually learned a little when I was still living with my family. It was considered a proper thing for a noblewoman to know how to do, so they taught me a little there. But most of my training came from the Order. The ability to heal is highly respected there and considered an ideal strength to have. Especially for my position... I could stay with the Order, heal those who came for help, and have my dreams."

Honestly, the more she thought about it, the more boring that life sounded. Isolated away from anyone, unable to do anything to help those out here, unable to change anything. It was a blessing almost to have had the dream she had that let her escape. "I've never struggled with much, but I've also never done anything beyond healing really. Even something like the physic staff I bought is new to me. Some of the other types of staff... well I've never even really tried to use them."

The apology came out of nowhere as Telmara went back to looking at the ground. "Uhm..." Her cheeks were turning red at the compliment, but she still needed to set her straight. "You... you realize I don't mind, right? You're allowed to look at me. And... thank you." She felt like she should follow up with a compliment of her own, but was distracted by the next question. Reaching down, she pulled out the smaller intricate staff that she always carried at her hip. "This... This is Dreamer. It's the one exception to what I said earlier. It takes my magic and turns it into strength for others. So it boosts their natural combat abilities I suppose would be how the monks would have said it. They gave it to me when I earned my last tattoo and achieved full status as the Prophet of Dragons."

"So you've been learning it your whole life... Well, no wonder it works so well." That was a relief. An impressive relief. Kaya wouldn't be making any nervous mistakes with her magic if she'd been taking lessons in it for so long. She'd get the experience with other formats as she went along, the base is what mattered.

"Er, uh... I... No, uhm..." You really don't get it, Kaya. I... At least she's talking about her staff, now... The Dreamer. That's what it was called, was it? How apt... And it let Kaya transfer her own powers into others. "I don't think I've seen you use it yet... Have you? I might have missed it, in battle..." It would be a useful tool if they were ever stuck against something too difficult to deal with on their own. Kaya could fight by herself, but she wasn't... Really the strongest person there was. As much as she didn't like being reminded of that...

"And... I... N-No, I can't..." she said, trying to look at her, but looking away again. "If I end up staring at you, I'll... This is so stupid, huh? I just... Get lost. I stop thinking... Then start thinking about how good you look. And I feel so terrible, that, I can't... Even look you in the eye." That's what you get for starting to like her. Idiot. You should've just spent all this time around Raz, or Mikhaila. They're not your types. They'd be less distracting. But you keep coming back here. Ugh...

"No, I haven't... Like any staff it has limited uses before the core crystal is drained of power and I..." She blushed slightly, this time in embarrassment. "This sounds silly, I know, but it... it's special to me. It's something that represents people acknowledged my status and my powers and I... I don't want to waste it. That's all." She knew it was ridiculous, that she'd been given this staff to use, not to hoard, but she couldn't help but want to hold on to it for as long as possible.

This next bit made her blush as well, though for entirely different reasons. She'd obviously known how Telmara felt about her, but the extent that she seemed to be affected by it was beyond what Kaya had realized. "I... Heh. I don't really know what to say to that honestly. You've left me speechless I guess." It wasn't like Kaya was much better at this sort of thing. She had really only ever had one other person interested in her, and while she'd found him attractive, it had never really went anywhere. Still, she had to be able to help somehow, right?

Straightening up, she reached out again and this time grabbed Telmara's hand. Giving it a small squeeze, she smiled at the other woman. "You're allowed to get lost in my eyes, you know?" She winked, clearly trying to make a little bit of a joke to make Telmara more comfortable. "More seriously... So what? I don't mind it, really. I mean... I might get flustered, but that's just because I'm not used to this sort of attention, not because it bothers me."

"That's fine. Everyone has attachments to certain things. You know how I got about that tome... So d-don't worry about ever having to use it. We're strong enough, that we probably, won't need to." Meanwhile, Telmara had no reservations about using the conflagrate spell until the book was empty. What she cared for was what the spell did, not the tome it was housed in. Still, she got the sentiment, and it was good that Kaya had started there, because Telmara wouldn't have been responding otherwise.

She shrunk down a bit, nodding. "Th-That's, fine... I know I come on, too strong. You... You probably don't want all of this attention. You've gotten enough, r-right? S, So... Ah! Wh..." Kaya took her hand again, Telmara looking at the girl, biting her lip for a moment. A-Allowed to get lost? You don't... D-Don't wink at me! Kaya!

Telmara felt her heart skip a beat, sinking in her chest. "If... I-If you, say so..." she tried to reply, staring at her... And staring... Her hair was so deep and red, it accented her skin so nicely. And her eyes were that sharp shade of purple, not bright enough to be distracting, but not too dark, as to be dull. Ahh... "You're, so beautiful..." W-Wait, I just... I wasn't supposed to say that.

Kaya smiled as Telmara finally listened and actually stopped staring at the deck. The attention was strange, but she couldn't deny that it was nice. Even if it embarrassed her a little, she did her best not to show it, knowing that would just make Telmara stop and the other woman clearly needed some help feeling comfortable. Her compliment seemed to almost slip out and resulted in a blushing Kaya being the one to look away.

"Ah... I... Thank you." Come on Kaya. Pull yourself together. She called you beautiful, it's not like she said she loved you or anything. Pulling herself together a little bit, she brought her head back up, returning Telmara's stare. Her red hair mostly masked the scaled ears and the gold eyes that indicated her demi-human status, then down, the long tail coiled around on the deck. What was she getting herself into? And yet... "You know you're pretty too, right? I know you don't like all the changes but they don't change the fact that you are."

"S-Sorry, uh... I wasn't... Supposed to say that." Now you're just making her embarrassed! I know what she said, but this is just... She's... Geez. Kaya tried to compliment her back, which pulled Telmara back into reality some. She didn't quite see it.

"Maybe I used to be. Some odd... Cold, distant sort of attraction, and... Maybe now, my face is still nice. But the rest of this...? I... Pardon me if I find that sort of thing hard to believe, Kaya. Er, s-sorry..." You didn't have to shut her down that badly... Do you hate your new body that much? I mean... Yeah, you do. But, but still... She's just trying to say she cares.

Kaya frowned and reached out and poked Telmara's nose. "I know what I said and I meant it." She shook her head and gestured at the whole of Telmara. "I said you're pretty and I meant all of you. Being a demi-human... It doesn't change that." And strangely enough, she meant what she was saying. Telmara was pretty. Maybe not in the same way that other people were, but as Kaya kept hold of Telmara's scaled and clawed hand, she couldn't deny that she was attractive.

She moved closer to the demi-human, staring up into her eyes, refusing to look away. "You don't need to apologize for doubting it. I know that the change has been hard on you. But I'm really not lying to you, ok?" Maybe she could get her to believe it...

"Kaya... S-Stop, that... That's..." Telmara couldn't take it, shrinking into her little pile on the deck. How could she say any of that? The scales, the claws, the tail... I-It wasn't at all attractive, or pretty, or anything like that. Exotic, maybe, but that hardly...

"S, Stop... Looking at..." The continued attention was appreciated, but she couldn't handle it. Not like this. Not with Kaya seeming so sincere. It was just mixing up her head. She'd say something stupid, she knew it, and... As she started to cry, just a bit, she bit out, "I love you." It wasn't much more than a whisper, and she kept her eyes locked onto Kaya. She didn't know what to do. This was... Too much. No one had been so direct, so determined to tell her that this was fine. Why?

All of a sudden, Telmara was crying and saying... Had she actually just said that? Kaya dropped Telmara's hand in shock, having just heard something she hadn't possibly imagined coming out of the other woman's mouth. "I... Did you...? I don't..." They were supposed to be taking things slow. Figuring out if Kaya felt the same way. Not having Telmara fall in love with her. Panic was starting to set in a little and Kaya didn't know what to do.

"You don't... You barely know me. How... How can you love me?" This was a mistake. It had to be. She was just infatuated, that was all. She wasn't used to someone being nice and she was jumping on it. This... How was she supposed to react to this? Sure, she thought Telmara was pretty and liked her but that... What was she supposed to say?

Telmara watched Kaya start to panic, came back to reality, and felt her confidence crumble. It had only slipped out, and it wasn't meant to. Clearly it was disturbing the woman, Telmara sliding back some as her hand was let go of. "I... S-Sorry. I'll, go. F, Forget I said, anything..." She couldn't exactly hurry off, with all of this tail to drag, so that just made leaving even more awkward... But she started to.

"No, wait, Telmara, I..." Kaya trailed off, not knowing what to say. I don't love you but I appreciate it? I'm scared that you're falling hard for me? "I just... I didn't expect you to say that... I know we talked about... everything but I still don't... don't know how I feel about you. And I didn't think you felt like this... Not really. And I just..." She didn't know if she should say this next bit, but just pushed through. "I feel terrible because I don't feel as strongly as you... You already know how you feel and love and I just... I'm sorry." She buried her head in her hands, having no idea how to deal with any of this. She didn't want to hurt Telmara, but she also just didn't feel as strongly as the demi-human did and it was all starting to feel very unfair to the mage. She should never have agreed to any of this in the first place. She wouldn't have risked hurting Telmara that way...

Telmara paused, and let her talk. It wouldn't do to interrupt her after dropping that mess on her. Still... "Since we met, I... It's been a long time, since I've met someone that I liked." She didn't turn around, looking at her while trying to say all of this would just make it harder. "Even when I had, I never had it in me, t-to tell them. They got... There was an accident, before I could s-say anything. Not like they ever knew I liked them... And now they never will."

She sighed, grabbing at her arms, holding herself. "So even if you n, never say it back. Even if, I get hurt. I don't want that to happen again... Especially now. Finding someone that I like, that... That thinks all of this is okay. It's been two years, now. Everyone I've met, that w-wasn't another demihuman, looked at me with disgust, weird intrigue, or a price tag. That's been the worst. 'How much does someone like you run in market?' I can't, even imagine..."

She looked back at Kaya with a smile, through her teary eyes. "I know it's only been a few weeks. But here you are, holding my hands, telling me I'm pretty... All of me. Not just what's still human. How could I not fall in love? You were already beautiful on the outside. To know you're just as wonderful inside... It's crushing, how amazing you are. So, I'm... I'm sorry, for springing it on you. And I can, l, leave you alone, if you'd prefer. But, I... I had to say it. I'm so sorry..."

Kaya didn't know to react to the flood of emotion and words that came out of Telmara. It was the most personal she'd ever heard the woman be, and the most words at one time. The tears in her eyes made her heart hurt though, and when Telmara was done talking, she pushed herself up and walked towards the woman. "No... Please don't apologize. I don't..." She hesitantly reached out and gently brushed the tears away.

"I don't deserve your praise. I still don't know if I'm doing the right thing with all of this but... Hearing how you feel about me. It does make me happy. And hearing everything that you've gone through... No one should have to deal with everything that you have. And maybe this is a dumb mistake but..." She reached out and wrapped her arms around Telmara. "Even if I end up not feeling the same way, I wouldn't want you to take back what you said. And I... I hope that some day I can say the same back."

"You do! You do deserve one! Two weeks and some spare change, how is that fair, to anyone? How can I even expect anyone to be fine with something like this... A, Af... ter..." She shrunk again, not expecting Kaya to come over. Her being so close made it hard to talk again, as her heart began to beat faster and harder. Freezing up as Kaya put her hand against her scaled face, she only started breathing again when she was finally... Hugged.

She hadn't expected that. Or anything, really... Gently bringing her claws up around Kaya's back, she sank forward, putting her face against her neck. Hiding made this easier. Hoping not to be here... She shivered, shaking gently against her. "You're, so wonderful... I'm s-so... So sorry, for falling in love, with you. When ev, everything's already, so hard f-for you..." She could only bury herself further against Kaya, hugging her tighter, shivering harder. "I'm s, so selfish..."

"You don't need to apologize, I already told you. It's... it's not your fault. You didn't choose this, alright? And it's kind of nice. Having someone that cares about me as something more than a prophet or a leader." She gave her a bit of a squeeze, and let Telmara rest on her shoulder. Gently stroking her hair, she shook her head. "You're not selfish, alright? You're just looking for happiness. That's not selfish, that's just being a... a person." She'd almost said human, which would have been awkward and a terrible idea. Hopefully Telmara would miss the stutter.

"Even so... Even if you, did... Ugh..." Telmara hadn't noticed her tail moving on its own, slowly wrapping itself around Kaya's ankles. She didn't quite feel it either, the motion rather automatic. Perhaps the body knew more than she did. She was too focused on what was being said to her, rather than she was she doing. "It still feels selfish... Like I can't even be patient enough for you. I thought school would've taught me better. But I never learned any of this. How silly..."

She slowly started to stop shivering, the coddling she was getting making her feel childish, but helping her calm down considerably. Slowly bringing her face up from Kaya's neck, she looked into those pretty eyes again and blushed. "Thank you... I love you."

Kaya smiled, looking at Telmara's face, red cheeks and all. "It is nice to hear that, I have to be honest." Hesitating, she quietly added, "Do-don't take this as more than it is, ok?" Hopefully this was a good idea. It probably wasn't but looking at Telmara, holding her, she couldn't resist. Leaning in, she very gently kissed the demi-human for a brief second before puling her head back.

"R-Really?" Was it nice? She seemed to unsure, but she was smiling, hugging her, she was right here... She was kiss-- "Mmmm!?" Telmara slow down, seriously. Take a pause after this. Don't overthink it! Don't do anything stupid that you're going to regre-- "Hahh, K-Kaya...!" Telmara hugged her tighter, snaking her tail further around her legs, diving back onto her neck. A few kisses and gently bites followed, shivering again. "Mmmnn..." Idiot... Just, n-no fangs...

Kaya smiled as Telmara didn't protest the kiss but instead nestled closer, the tail around her legs a strange but not unpleasant sensation. When suddenly she was being kissed more though, she yelped in surprise and took an instinctive step back, or at least tried to. Instead, because Telmara had wrapped her up, she ended up slipping and starting to fall, Telmara's arms and tail the only thing that had a chance at keeping her up.

"H-Huh-- wah!" Telmara noticed that Kaya was stumbling a bit too late, falling over with her, luckily not falling very hard before her tail slowed their descent to the deck. Grumbling quietly and slowly sitting up... And getting off of Kaya, she blushed, shrunk, and started playing with her hair. "S... Sorry..."

Flat on her back against the deck, Kaya couldn't help but start giggling. Slowly making her way back up into sitting position, she lightly tapped Telmara's tail and shook her head. "Come on now, I told you. No apologizing for stuff. That was my fault. And if I wasn't an idiot, I wouldn't have fallen in the first place. I just... wasn't expecting all of that. I maybe shouldn't have kissed you... But I don't regret it. So you're not allowed to regret all of it either, alright?"

"I... You're not mad?" Telmara sat back on her tail, watching Kaya giggle... Not really understanding the reaction. But, if she wasn't mad, and she didn't regret things. "I... Okay. Sorry, I... Got a bit overwhelmed. I didn't break the skin, r-right?" Having these fangs made what she just did a bit... Tricky, at times. "I feel like an idiot... Should I go? I feel like I should go... Ghhh..."

"You're all good, don't worry. See? Nothing to worry about." Kaya tilted her head a bit to show her neck. "I just wasn't expecting that reaction. I'm not exactly... I've never had any sort of romantic thing before. So I just... I don't know what to expect from people reacting to things. That's all."

She still seemed uncomfortable, a fact confirmed by the question of if she should leave or not. Kaya tilted her head and stared at her for a brief second before smiling and shaking her head. "You really are ridiculous, aren't you? I said I don't mind. If you want to leave, you can go, but I don't mind having you here. I just don't want you to regret anything that happens. You are ok, right?"

Telmara sighed heavily, sinking onto her tail, and closing her eyes. "I'm terrible at this... I'll... I'll try not to do that again. I'd hate to think how bad I'd get if I actually made you bleed." And if she didn't mind having her there... Telmara slid over and ran her tail in a circle around Kaya, before leaning against her back and hugging her. "A-Alright... I'll, stay here, then."

Smiling, Kaya reached back and ruffled Telmara's hair, before quietly sighing. "I should probably try and meditate some more though. I'm fine with you staying, just try and stay quiet, ok?" She gently ran her hand down Telmara's arm before folding her legs up again. "You don't need to let go or anything, just don't expect me to say much." Placing her hands on her knees, she closed her eyes. Breathe in, breathe out.

[/spoiler[

Yes, he could ride a ship.  No, he didn't like it.  Kolmar was secretly relieved when the wreckage forced them to land.  The talk of magic caused him to take an unconscious step backwards.

I'll be over here.  WAY over here.

He spotted Kaya on the shore, fiddling with. . .something.  "Somethin' on your mind, princess?" he asked gruffly.

Kaya flinched slightly as Kolmar startled her out of her thoughts. Looking up at him, she smiled and shook her head. "I... no, not really. Just looking at this scale I picked up back in Madrigal. It's a real dragon scale, did you know? Apparently it can be used to enhance certain items... I'm not sure exactly what sort of items, but it could still be really useful some day. Now I'm mostly waiting to see if they'll be able to clear out those ships or not... How have you been? We... haven't talked much. You're still happy to be traveling with this group?"

"Eh," he replied, before unceremoniously plopping himself down nearby.  "All this magic-talk an' whatnot ain't interestin'.  But y'all keep gettin' into my type of trouble, so it evens out."  He regarded the scale.  "Can't say I've heard anythin' useful about dragon scales, but magic ain't my thing.  No tellin' if someone's bauble was the real thing - an' magical accidents are messy."  He'd intentionally kept well away from anything dealing with the darker sides of magic, whether it be illegal components, supposed artifacts, or other things of that nature.  He had no aptitude for it, so why bother peddling something he didn't understand?  "You sure you wanna let everyone see it, though?"

"Mm, well we all have our strengths. I'd have no clue how to handle myself around your specialties I'm sure. Whereas magic is something I've been around most of my life." She hadn't really thought about the fact that she was casually showing off a somewhat rare item, and self consciously stuffed it back into her pocket. "Err, no, I'm sure it wiill be fine. It's not like anyone around here would take it from me. Besides, I keep it with me at all times. So. It should be fine." She seemed to be trying to convince herself as much as she was convincing him with her words.

"Anyone we can see," Kolmar added.  "That mage we dropped off was under some sort o' mind-control magic.  I ain't certain on the details, other than it wasn't a long-range thing.  He could see the bad guys when everythin' went backwards.  Still, no tellin' what's out there."

"Destroying the obstructions?" Yarvus seemed surprised by the prospect, but smiled after a few moments. "It hadn't crossed my mind, but I can provide assistance if you want, Misses Gran and Josephine. While my anima knowledge is rather poor, I am more focused in Light magic, and I possess an Irradiate tome that is not too different to scorching the wreckage with your fire magic. With our combined skills, we can have a real chance of making this through much more easily." He withdrew said tome from his robes. "We should work together at the same time for the best chances of success, I would think."

Edited by Reinfleche
yarvus

"Very well, Telmara, I'll follow your lead. I don't have a fire tome on me, but I could possibly blow away some of the wreckage with my gust tome.  Also, your help would be most appreciated, Lord Yarvus. This shouldn't be too troublesome at all."

Raz sighed, but didn't take Mikhaila's comment too negatively. "Yeah, I guess I'm not at a level where I could help them... I suppose I can watch. Hopefully Yarvus' help will be enough." It was a shame, really. Maybe if I went and practiced some anima again... hindsight is what it is, though. Walking to Mikhaila's side, she decided to watch the scene cautiously, in case anything were to go awry. "I guess it's not too bad if they don't manage to clear it, I have a few maps of the surroundings..." She mumbled.

"Don't think too much on it, Raz. It's... Just not your forte of magic. My skills will aid nothing here, either. Keep those maps on hand, in case something goes wrong." Mikhaila couldn't imagine that something would go wrong. Both Joviana and Telmara were rather proud of their magical abilities. This Jarvus fellow seemed just as confident, so unless their spells missed, through some trick of the light, there was no way this would go wrong. Glancing down at Raz, Mikhaila bit her lip, gently holding the girl's hand. "It'll be alright. You're... You're still a great help to the group. I'm sure..."

Another light magic user, was it? Well, if he was stronger than Raz, he'd be helpful. Light magic was only good for this sort of thing after a certain level. Pausing a moment and fishing through her bag, she handed Joviana her spare Conflagrate tome. "Here. This'll have more impact than your gust. On the count of three then, everyone... One... Two..." Telmara started up her magic, hoping the other two could keep time with her. And hoping that this went well. It's just some wreckage. It can't be that hard to remove... Ugh, I'm getting stuck up in wishing I had my old powers back...

Edited by SnakeMomMelissa

Joviana took Telmara's spare conflagarate tome and began chanting the spell. Telmara seemed to be very confident about their plan working, which took Joviana by surprise. It wasn't often to see Telmara calm and composed, as if she was in charge of the situation. Perhaps its when she casts magic that she feels at home.

She sent a ball of fire at part of the wreckage...and nothing happened. Two, three, four...and still nothing. Snapping her fingers in frustration, she sent another ball of fire, stronger than her previous ones...with no effect. "Looks like my power isn't strong enough. I know it has been a long time since I've used a conflagarate tome, but...there's no excuse. I'm sorry, Telmara."

Disappointment

(a 5, "it doesn't work," was rolled)

The three spellcasters channelled their magic onto the wreckage in an attempt to clear things. For a moment, it seemed that it would work- there certainly were flames burning the wood, at least, but they were short lived and petered out, with only a few planks or so crumbling, and nothing close to a path that could be traversed. However powerful the magic was in battle, it didn't seem to have quite the same effect here.

"Hmm... how unfortunate. Perhaps I have overestimated the similarities of this Irradiate tome to proper fire spells, and it may not be suitable for burning wood after all. My apologies for this unsuccessful endeavor," Yarvus commented. "We'll have to listen to Miss Velvet, then, and go the longer way. A few miles northwest, then, surely? Any other direction we could go would be a waste of time, so I'd assume that's what she meant."

"It is northwest," Velvet confirmed. "If you have those maps ready, Raz, those would be helpful too so we go the right way specifically. I'd not want to lead you all the wrong way when we can't afford to go slowly. As it is, there's no point dawdling when it didn't work- let's just say better luck next time and move onwards." She started to lead everyone onto a dirt path with a surprising amount of turns to it. "It used to be that a lot more people lived near these parts of the river and ocean before technology progressed to the point that we could transport water more easily across Titan, so there are lots of old beaten roads- probably why there's enough information for Raz to have maps of here," she explained as they walked. The trek was uneventful, for the most part, but that wouldn't last long...

Mikhaila's attempt to reassure Raz of her use was surprisingly endearing, earning a wry smile from the girl as she felt her hand being held. "Well, I'm not that haunted by my limits, I'm sure I could be better... but there's no point dwelling in the past. Especially so when we have a clock king to outwit." Pleased by Mikhaila's gesture, Raz took her hand and planted a kiss on its back, distracted enough to have only caught the tail end of that apparent failure. Nothing went wrong, but nothing went right either, oh well. Guess I would have made a difference if I were better...

"I have them ready. Let's go on ahead." She nodded to Velvet, taking the chance to lead their trek alongside the demihuman. At least they'd have some knowledge of the surroundings with the maps, surely the way to Veiro would prove simple enough.

Telmara, Jovianna, and Yarvus all casted in sync... But nothing happened. They tried again, nothing... And again... Telmara stopped and stared at her hand, trying to conjure the flame from the spell in it. It came, as expected, without much trouble... Was she just not strong enough? "That... Th-That was supposed to have worked..." Joviana was trying to apologize, but Telmara could only shake her head and bite back a hiss. "I-It's fine. It's not your fault, or Yarvus'... Fuck." With frustration mounting, she took her tome back and started after the group.

How embarrassing... How utterly and entirely embarrassing. And how smug was I, walking over there with my head held high like this was the best plan ever? Ugh. I hate myself... I'm so stupid! But... I just... That should've worked! I know fire magic so well, I just... Ugh! Mentally chiding herself as she slid, her tome was open, eyes scanning the pages from the start, all over again. If she didn't know how it worked, she'd just have to re-learn it. No matter how many times it took.

"I would hope not. You're plenty good at, what you do... Er... Ah, th-thank you." This relationship nonsense wasn't something she understood. Was thanks proper for a gesture like that? She'd not let Raz's hand go when they started walking, so she was dragged along for a small moment, before keeping pace with her. It felt nice to hold her hand like this... Perhaps it was simply human to appreciate companionship, despite Mikhaila's odd circumstances. Well, no matter. If her mind appreciated it, then that was all that mattered. Raz had their directions planned out, so there was nothing left to be said.

Aaron was quite surprised to see the wreckage stand strong against the fire spells, but he supposed it had been worth a shot. By the looks of things, the only thing they'd managed to bruise were a few egos. And they still had their backup plan, as the demihuman cat was quick to remind them. 

Aaron sped up slightly to catch up to Velvet, taking some interest in what she was saying. "What happened to all of the old settlements?" he asked. "Surely there had to be another reason to move elsewhere aside from 'because they could'?"

"Hmm?" Velvet was a bit surprised to be approached by Aaron, who had almost never spoken with her before. "Well, it didn't happen right away- but as technology moved on, people didn't need to be located right on the water. Instead they slowly came together to make bigger cities so they would be closer to one another for the sake of convenience. Granted, Veiro and Fordright are both on the river as well... but they still serve as a more centralized civilization instead of scattered towns, which allows for easier trade and communication. Of course, it's not that towns have vanished, they're just fewer in number. This outpost we're headed towards in question is like a little village itself, with some civilians and some of the Knights there to protect them, and also alert other places of attacks."

At least Mikhaila's fluster at how to deal with their relationship was enough to give Raz some levity during the walk, a soft smile as she held a map open to navigate. "Well, we should be pretty close to the outpost." She mentioned, hoping to stay optimistic. "Maybe we can get some better transport from there... probably not. Doesn't seem that big." She sighed, looking at the terrain ahead. It would be nice to find a way to cut corners, though.