Skill Inheritance Discussion.

Ewwgene

Just now, eclipse said:

That's when I pick on their non-Defiant stat and go nuts.  Sophia might be able to pull this off with Defiant Res, though.

Yeah it's definitely not what you'd run for an arena defense team lol that's for sure. Brash Assault in general seems too easily taken advantage of for most units, and it's clearly only made for units that can afford to take a hit after BEING that low with their HP lol... but even then, Atk is easier to pump up than Def so it's rarely a better option than something like a speedy Desperation glass cannon...

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do we like on Jagen? I'm raising him for a (ghetto) cavalry team, with him, Stahl, Ursula, and Goonter. Any set helps. Even if it's just for keks

@Arcanite I'm not sure about Jagen, since I just mulched mine to give Frederick his Ward Cavalry for my cavalry team, but here are a few thoughts...
1) Perhaps give him Reposition for his Command Skill? Any Rally would be largely useless since you're already giving +6 to every stat with him and Gunter, so the next best thing would probably be being able to get allies out of danger, yeah?
2) Perhaps replace Fury with either Distant Counter (yeah, I doubt you have an extra Hector to burn, but hey, if you do, it'll help him deal with mages, which he should be doing with his high RES) or Life and Death (yeah, 17/20/23 DEF sucks, but 29/32/35 ATK and 26/29/32 SPD could be pretty good for making Jagen better, yeah? Plus his RES is still pretty good at 27/30/33, so you can still have him fight mages and dragons, just keep him away from fast/Brave Bow archers and fast daggers, and physical combatants in general)? Not that realistic, I know, but if you happen to have someone you'd be okay with sacrificing for either of those, it could help.
3) Perhaps give him Poison Strike or Drag Back for his B Slot? Poison Strike lets you mitigate his not-that-great ATK with post-combat damage, while Drag Back would allow you to pull enemies into range of the rest of your team. Disregard Poison Strike if you gave Jagen Life and Death, since his ATK isn't that bad any more.

That's all I got for making Jagen better skill-wise. However, seeing the composition of your team, I kinda wanna give you some further thoughts, so here, have some rambling about your team:
1) Stahl, and maybe Ursula, should get Ward Cavalry if you have it. Being able to survive more stuff is always good, and you should be keeping your team close together anyway so they'd pretty much always be reducing the damage on your fellow units by 4/8, which is very useful. Stahl doesn't have anything in his C Slot, so it's not a big deal to give him Ward in my opinion, but I would understand if you didn't want to get rid of Threaten RES on Ursula.
1.5) If you happen to have an extra 5-Star Reinhardt lying around (not very likely, I know, but if you did...), perhaps toss Goad Cavalry on one of those two instead of Ward? Makes your teammates slightly faster and stronger, which is nice. Although I'm guessing if you had a 5-Star Reinhardt at all you wouldn't be using Ursula but...
2) Perhaps give Stahl Noontime? Maybe it's just because my Stahl is a good tank defensively, but I think he could benefit from the recovery every few actions.
2.5) If you give him Noontime, perhaps give Stahl a Wo Dao? I'm not sure if Wo Dao's +10 damage on skill procs would be added to Noontime's healing, but if it does, you would be able to heal a bit better, and also the Wo Dao would make him less vulnerable to Greens (though more vulnerable to Blues, so it's a bit of a trade-off).
3) GIVE URSULA BLARBLADE. YOU HAVE THE PERFECT SETUP. DO IT.
3.5) Also, perhaps give Ursula Quick Riposte? Perhaps it would help her deal with enemy archers/daggers? I dunno what you should do for her B Slot, it's just a thought.
4) Perhaps give Gunter Bonfire/Ignis? It'll boost his damage, given his high DEF. If yours is -DEF, maybe go with Moonbow instead.
4.5) Also, perhaps give Gunter Drag Back? He doesn't have anything in the B Slot, and it'll help pull enemies into range for your other units. I especially recommend this if you didn't give Jagen Drag Back like I suggested above.

Hope that helped you in some way!

So, I have a +ATK/-SPD Reinhardt. I already gave him Blazing Thunder and Goad Cavalry, and he's working out really well (51 ATK (after Hone Cavalry) on a brave weapon is a beautiful thing), but I want to give him more skills, so two questions:

1) Should I give him Death Blow? I only have Death Blow 2 (courtesy of a spare Effie), but +4 damage on Player Phase for a Player-Phase nuke sounds very good. Still, do you guys think there's anything better out there for him?
2) Should I give him Vantage? It's his default B Slot skill, but I feel like he can do better than hitting an enemy once when attacked...

Edited by ILikeKirbys

11 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

So, I have a +ATK/-SPD Reinhardt. I already gave him Blazing Thunder and Goad Cavalry, and he's working out really well (51 ATK (after Hone Cavalry) on a brave weapon is a beautiful thing), but I want to give him more skills, so two questions:

1) Should I give him Death Blow? I only have Death Blow 2 (courtesy of a spare Effie), but +4 damage on Player Phase for a Player-Phase nuke sounds very good. Still, do you guys think there's anything better out there for him?
2) Should I give him Vantage? It's his default B Slot skill, but I feel like he can do better than hitting an enemy once when attacked...

First of all, I'm a bit jealous that you have a +Atk Reinhardt (I have a +HP/-Res one). 

Now to answer your questions,

1. Extra damage won't hurt. I suppose you can try Triangle Adept, but considering red units melt against him anyway it's a bit redundant. 

2. Vantage isn't helpful. He's better off with Lancebreaker- that way you're essentially negating a large chunk of the meta (not many lance users are going to survive 4 hits of Dire Thunder, along with his ability to wipe out red units).

Edited by Levin's Scarf

57 minutes ago, Levin's Scarf said:

First of all, I'm a bit jealous that you have a +Atk Reinhardt (I have a +HP/-Res one). 

Now to answer your questions,

1. Extra damage won't hurt. I suppose you can try Triangle Adept, but considering red units melt against him anyway it's a bit redundant. 

2. Vantage isn't helpful. He's better off with Lancebreaker- that way you're essentially negating a large chunk of the meta (not many lance users are going to survive 4 hits of Dire Thunder, along with his ability to wipe out red units).

Well, your Reinhardt is better than the other ones I've pulled (+SPD/-ATK and +DEF/-ATK), so it's not like he's unsalvageable. In fact, yours is one of the better non-+ATK ones you could pull IMO (best would be +HP/-SPD IMO, so you have more HP to work with, and Rein's SPD is crap even before Dire Thunder murders it so it's no big loss).

As for your suggestions...

1) Yeah, Red everything just dies horribly before Reinhardt. Think I'll go with Death Blow, save TA for, I dunno, Henry or something.

2) I hadn't thought of that, but it sounds very useful. Now I just need to pull an Arthur.

Thanks for the help, mate.

And new question: Should I give Lightning Breath+ to Ninian or Fae?

Edited by ILikeKirbys

3 hours ago, Arcanite said:

What do we like on Jagen? I'm raising him for a (ghetto) cavalry team, with him, Stahl, Ursula, and Goonter. Any set helps. Even if it's just for keks

Definitely Iceberg/Glacies, for one. He's absolutely got the Res to make use of it. If you don't have Distant Counter (which if it's 'ghetto' is doubtful lol), R/B Tomebreaker will help him be a pretty good magekiller on top of being able to tank their hits. Apart from that, something like Darting Blow, Death blow, Atk or Spd+3 etc to make him more of an offensive presence should be fine. Assist skill is whatever you want. 

1 hour ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Fae? Ninian's base attack isn't that great even with attack boon; she caps at 28 base attack with attack boon while Fae with attack boon is 36, neutral attack is 33, and with attack bane, 30, which is still higher than Ninian. Ninian is faster than Fae, though, but Ninian's more of a support unit than an offensive one.

Edited by Kaden

I'm thinking of raising anything below 4* to 3* lv 20 and leaving it there so if I need their skills its only 2k feathers away (I have no intention of spending 20k feathers for the 5* skills)

I figure crystals/shards aren't unlimited, and this will help pass time between lulls of events.

Sound like a reasonable plan? Or does anyone have a better way? 

1 hour ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Well, your Reinhardt is better than the other ones I've pulled (+SPD/-ATK and +DEF/-ATK), so it's not like he's unsalvageable. In fact, yours is one of the better non-+ATK ones you could pull IMO (best would be +HP/-SPD IMO, so you have more HP to work with, and Rein's SPD is crap even before Dire Thunder murders it so it's no big loss).

As for your suggestions...

1) Yeah, Red everything just dies horribly before Reinhardt. Think I'll go with Death Blow, save TA for, I dunno, Henry or something.

2) I hadn't thought of that, but it sounds very useful. Now I just need to pull an Arthur.

Thanks for the help, mate.

Fae. Ninian prefers dark breath, but light breath is still workable. Lightning breath has too low might.

Speaking of which, should I do a writeup on Ninian?

29 minutes ago, BestFriendJ0 said:

I'm thinking of raising anything below 4* to 3* lv 20 and leaving it there so if I need their skills its only 2k feathers away (I have no intention of spending 20k feathers for the 5* skills)

I figure crystals/shards aren't unlimited, and this will help pass time between lulls of events.

Sound like a reasonable plan? Or does anyone have a better way? 

Not suuuuuper sure this is the right topic for this but... ehh... I suppose it concerns the mechanics of skill inheritance which is still fair game so hmm... okay yeah nvm lol

Anyway yeah that sounds about right to me, that's more or less what I've been doing-- been raising 4* characters I plan to use and 3* characters who will be 4* skill fodder to lv 20 or so, perfect and ripe for the harvesting bwahaha. I prefer to hoard my feathers for as long as possible, personally, so yeah I'm planning to selectively upgrade/harvest the units in turn as they're needed.

tl;dr yes that sounds like a good plan to me. 

Don't think you mentioned anything about this, but ofc any units who you plan to use should be raised to level 40 as many times as possible to maximize their SP gain. 

2 hours ago, ILikeKirbys said:

@Arcanite Lots of suggestions 

Thanks for the info! Lot of good stuff, I have Karel but he's just way too Xexy for me to give him away for a weapon. I'd lick the bottom of my foot after hiking a mile, instead of give him away XD

Still, you gave me a lot of good info.

46 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

Definitely Iceberg/Glacies, for one. He's absolutely got the Res to make use of it. If you don't have Distant Counter (which if it's 'ghetto' is doubtful lol), R/B Tomebreaker will help him be a pretty good magekiller on top of being able to tank their hits. Apart from that, something like Darting Blow, Death blow, Atk or Spd+3 etc to make him more of an offensive presence should be fine. Assist skill is whatever you want. 

I like it! And I do have an iceberg laying around so it's gon' be lit. 

@Kaden @Korath88 Alright then, I'll give Fae Lightning Breath+, and toss Corrin's Dark Breath on Ninian so she can serve as a better support unit (and she's -ATK, so she won't be doing much damage usually anyway). Thanks, mates.

And yeah, I would be interested in a writeup on Ninian.

@Arcanite Glad to hear that I've helped! And I understand on not wanting to give up a Karel just to maybe make Noontime!Stahl a bit better.

1 minute ago, Arcanite said:

Thanks for the info! Lot of good stuff, I have Karel but he's just way too Xexy for me to give him away for a weapon. I'd lick the bottom of my foot after hiking a mile, instead of give him away XD

Still, you gave me a lot of good info.

I like it! And I do have an iceberg laying around so it's gon' be lit. 

~3o -fingerguns-

And (I know this wasn't aimed at me lol but) yeah Karel's weapon is xexy but def understand wanting to keep its owner... That's the kind of situation where I'd rather have doubles of him before giving the weapon away to someone else.

In other news, I'm thinking of attempting an Oboro writeup next. 

I already kinda did Sophia, Camilla, Nino, Tiki and Henry but put them on the wiki... (though many of them I mentioned/talked about in this thread already). Might make my own topic if I can reformat them into Ice Dragon's setup or smth.  

@ILikeKirbys Alright, writeup incoming.

Ninian's neutral base stats: 

42/24/33/23/27

The main thing that sets her apart from other dancers is her high HP stat, at 42 compared to 36. This gives her much more durability compared to Olivia and Azura.

Optimal IV: +Spd -Res

speed gives her better matchups against faster enemies, and is probably better defensively than +HP or Def. A +Spd Ninian no longer gets doubled by +Spd Lucina and neutral Linde, thus avoiding ORKOs. -Res is taken as she already has good Res, and rarely fights mages anyways, and she needs the HP and Def to take on falchions. Contrary to some sites, -Atk is not optimal as she can still put a dent into many units with the following set.

Unlike Ephraim, who has multiple good sets, there's a definitive "best set" for Ninian.

Dark Breath+

Dance

Moonbow

Triangle adept 3

Escspe route 3

Hone Atk 3

Moonbow and hone attack are self explanatory, as they're the best options for a support unit. Dark breath allows her to debuff the enemy team's most important stats on turns when she doesn't need to dance, and has the same mt as light breath, but with a better effect. For those not willing to spend 20k feathers on skill fodder, light breath still works well enough.

Triangle adept is her best A slot as it reduces falchion effectiveness and allows her to ORKO slower reds like Chrom and Seliph. Fury doesn't help her matchups nearly as well, and the HP cost can hurt a lot. She already dies to Julia anyways, so being weaker to greens is not much of a tradeoff. (And she shouldn't be anywhere near greens in the first place)

Lastly, I prefer letting her keep escape route over wings of mercy. While WoM is a better skill in a vacuum, escape route is much better on a team. Simply give reciprocal aid to one of your frontliners and swap HP with Ninian when they fall below 21 HP. This removes the need for Ninian to take direct damage, and allows her to warp dance to any ally, unlike WoM, which only allows warping to damaged allies. Alternatively, if you don't see yourself using warpdance that often, Swordbreaker is another option if you really hate falchions.

Recommended Allies: Green counters, preferably one that  can ORKO Julia. A strong or fast sword lord works well here. Alternatively, a buffed Tharja (or +Atk variant) doubles Julia for the ORKO, and has the added benefit of taking enough damage to fall below 21 HP, allowing you to pull off the reciprocal aid strategy early on into the match.

Falchion counters, to deal with certain skill combinations on Lucina and Marth that can bypass the Triangle adept and +Spd precaution. Ephraim, Sharena and Effie all work well here, as does Linde, but she's much rarer than the lancers.

Edited by Korath88

36 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

@ILikeKirbys Alright, writeup incoming.

Ninian's neutral base stats: 

42/24/33/23/27

Triangle adept is her best A slot as it reduces falchion effectiveness and allows her to ORKO slower reds like Chrom and Seliph. Fury doesn't help her matchups nearly as well. She already dies to Julia anyways, so being weaker to greens is not much of a tradeoff. (And she shouldn't be anywhere near greens in the first place)

The main problem with Tri-Adept vs. Falchion is that Lucina and Marth still double Ninan to death. Marth will need Fury 3 or another +speed skill on top of sharing Ninan's speed nature (that is, Marth will need +speed boon if Ninan has +speed boon), edit: I suck at math. Only speed skills that give 4 speed or more allow Marth to double. Lucina will only need a speed skill. (Fury 3, L&D---Ninan can't 1 shot, or that +4 atk/+4 spd blow skill).

In addition, Chrom with +Atk boon, Death Blow 3 deals 33 damage, which bring Ninans down to 9 hp. (So she better be at full hp if she wants to tank him, Ninian does one round him in return, though.)

She still works decently as Azura-lite, though, 3 sword-matchups, even if Lucina is one of the best and most common, don't break a unit.

Edited by DehNutCase

3 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

The main problem with Tri-Adept vs. Falchion is that Lucina and Marth can both still double Ninan to death. Marth will need Fury 3 or another +speed skill on top of sharing Ninan's speed nature (that is, Marth will need +speed boon if Ninan has +speed boon), but Lucina will only need a speed skill. (Fury 3, L&D---Ninan can't 1 shot, or that +4 atk/+4 spd blow skill).

In addition, Chrom with +Atk boon, Death Blow 3 deals 33 damage, which bring Ninan down to 9 hp. (So she better be at full hp if she wants to tank him, Ninian does one round him in return, though.)

She still works decently as Azura-lite, though, 3 sword-matchups, even if Lucina is one of the best and most common, doesn't break a unit.

Neutral Spd fury 3 Lucina has 39 speed, which is not high enough to double +Spd Ninian(36 spd). Only L&D builds will allow neutral speed Lucina to double Ninian. +Spd is another issue, but not all players are lucky enough to roll that IV. That being said, this reminds me that I forgot to add the recommendation teammates section to my analysis. Whoops, going to add it now.

5 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

Neutral Spd fury 3 Lucina has 39 speed, which is not high enough to double +Spd Ninian(36 spd). Only L&D builds will allow neutral speed Lucina to double Ninian. +Spd is another issue, but not all players are lucky enough to roll that IV. That being said, this reminds me that I forgot to add the recommendation teammates section to my analysis. Whoops, going to add it now.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. (Both my Lucina are + Spd.)

Personally I think L&D Desperation is the best build anyway, though, since it one-rounds 100 out of 110 characters or something. Lucina has absurd coverage. Edit: 99 out of 118 if you give her reprisal according to https://rocketmo.github.io/feh-damage-calc/

Edited by DehNutCase

12 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. (Both my Lucina are + Spd.)

Personally I think L&D Desperation is the best build anyway, though, since it one-rounds 100 out of 110 characters or something. Lucina has absurd coverage. Edit: 99 out of 118 if you give her reprisal according to https://rocketmo.github.io/feh-damage-calc/

That's assuming neutral nature enemies and no enemy SI though. Swordbreaker outright stops that set as does blues with tri adept. Still an impressive feat nonetheless.

23 minutes ago, Korath88 said:

That's assuming neutral nature enemies and no enemy SI though. Swordbreaker outright stops that set as does blues with tri adept. Still an impressive feat nonetheless.

Tri-Adept only saves 9 10 people, oddly enough---about the same as Fury 3, which saves 8. Sword-breaker, on the other hand, saves most of them since doubling things to death is the whole point of Lucina.

Edit: Given Tri-adept only saves blues, it does make Lucina's blue match ups crap. (I, for one, welcome our 'doing their best' overlords. Even without buffs Nino is still a green Linde, with buffs Nino is ranged Lucina in terms of coverage.)

Edited by DehNutCase

Tinkering with that website gave me some funny result for my envisioned Eliwood build for my cavalry team. Namely, he ORK'd 111 units in total, 76 purely from one attack, and the rest 35 from doubling. He only dies by 4 units (3 of whom are not common in the high Arena atm).

I'll make a write-up for my One Slash Man Eliwood after I crunched some more data.

Edited by pianime94

I haven't taught my Carrot Chrom ANY skills yet and I'm considering sacrificing my only Hinata to give him Fury 3 (for the stats while using carrot axe to heal 2/3 of the Fury post-combat)

Yay or nay? Are there better A skills for Bunny Chrom?

He seems like he is definitely a player phase (right terminology??) kind of hero, so I'm wondering if death or farting blow perhaps outclass it (which opens up to him getting a potentially better weapon? I just feel like the Furious Carrot Chrom thing would be smart?)...??

I haven't even started to think about what I might put on his C or B slot, but I'll figure that out later (before sacrificing any units to him though!)

This is important to me, cause he's my only good green (decent hero and 5*) :)

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

I haven't taught my Carrot Chrom ANY skills yet and I'm considering sacrificing my only Hinata to give him Fury 3 (for the stats while using carrot axe to heal 2/3 of the Fury post-combat)

Yay or nay? Are there better A skills for Bunny Chrom?

He seems like he is definitely a player phase (right terminology??) kind of hero, so I'm wondering if death or farting blow perhaps outclass it (which opens up to him getting a potentially better weapon? I just feel like the Furious Carrot Chrom thing would be smart?)...??

I haven't even started to think about what I might put on his C or B slot, but I'll figure that out later (before sacrificing any units to him though!)

This is important to me, cause he's my only good green (decent hero and 5*) :)

If your chrom is plus resistance he gets up to 29, which is pretty nasty for an ax user. With fury he becomes everything Hawkeye wants to become. Good defenses, nice attack, and the one thing Hawkeye lacks, which is speed. So yeah, if it's that important, go for it.

Welp, since yesterday I've been trying to figure out what skills start to inherit for my arena team (that will change the next time because of the season hero) and I ended mindfucked with so many options and possibilities, so I'm very sorry to bother but I'll ask for skill counsel again and thanks in advance for your time.

Current 5* and most of 4* roster.

First thing, my current team is composed by:
Takumi +SPD/-DEF Lucina +SPD/-HP Camilla +DEF/-RES and Ursula 4* for teh mageeks and bonus points. Otherwise, I have a Sharena 5* that could fit her place perfectly, although it would be a full physical team.

I suppose that Spring Xander and Michalis will be bonus heroes on the next season, so I either replace Camilla with the latest (4*) or I incluse the carrot knight, although I heard he's not good at all. In the case of Michalis I was thinking on inherit a 3* Arthur skills, Emerald Axe, Lancebreaker 1 and Swap. Any opinions, if it's better than Xander?
I also have a +DEF/-HP Hinoka lying around that has Hone Fliers and I thought that maybe it would be a good pair with Camilla/Michalis. Is it?

Anyway, not counting a Vantage 2 on Takumi and SwordB 1 on Sharena, I didn't start yet to inherit stuff because I'm trying to get a grasp on what the best combinations are to not waste heroes, rushing without the proper knowledge. The other problem is having limited magic options (Y!Tiki, 4* Tharja, 4* Corrin, and a 3* Robin M), although I have 22.000 feathers and could upgrade someone for that (shame I got a Nino with bad boon/bane).
I think it would be good idea giving my former team (second paragraph) or the possible replacements (third/fourth) reposition assist skills like Draw Back, Swap, etc. but I don't know exactly which one or to whom. I figure it would be something like letting your ranged hero attack, then taking him out of danger by replacing it or acting as a shield, but I can't make up my mind about so many options (more so considering I may be choosing something stupid).

tl;dr asking the questions of the third and last paragraph and suggestions on teamcomp and skill inherit for either the one you suggest or Camilla/Lucina/Sharena/Takumi.