Skill Inheritance Discussion.

Ewwgene

1 minute ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Hector can't counter at all if Windsweep activates, since it prevents all counters if you outspeed, so Reinhardt wouldn't be taking any damage at all.

Reinhardt is never faster than Hector unless you are running -Blade Tome instead of his Dire Tome.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Clogon said:

Reinhardt is never faster than Hector unless you are running -Blade Tome instead of his Dire Tome.

Neutral Spd Reinhardt with Dire Thunder and Hone Cavalry has exactly as much Spd as neutral Spd Hector.

Adding a Goad Cavalry buff gives him exactly as much Spd as +Spd Hector.

All you need is S Spd +1 to activate Windsweep 3.

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Neutral Spd Reinhardt with Dire Thunder and Hone Cavalry has exactly as much Spd as neutral Spd Hector.

Adding a Goad Cavalry buff gives him exactly as much Spd as +Spd Hector.

All you need is S Spd +1 to activate Windsweep 3.

Wasn't thinking of Horse emblem. XD And besides the goal is NOT to outspeed him. I want my Reinhardt to get hit. I just need the Hone Speed to prevent Armads from triggering. So that he enables Wings of Mercy reinforcements.

Edited by Clogon

1 minute ago, Clogon said:

Wasn't thinking of Horse emblem. XD And besides the goal is NOT to outspeed him. I want my Reinhardt to get hit. I just need the Hone Speed to prevent Armads from triggering. So that he enables Wings of Mercy reinforcements.

Either Windsweep activates and Hector cannot counterattack at all or Windsweep doesn't activate and you eat two hits from Armads. There is no middle ground where you only take one hit without Axebreaker or Wary Fighter, and Reinhardt can't learn either of those skills.

11 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Either Windsweep activates and Hector cannot counterattack at all or Windsweep doesn't activate and you eat two hits from Armads. There is no middle ground where you only take one hit without Axebreaker or Wary Fighter, and Reinhardt can't learn either of those skills.

Windsweep has 2 effects:

1) It prevents all Follow-ups.

2) If you outspeed physical units, they cannot counter.

Edited by Clogon

8 minutes ago, Clogon said:

Windsweep has 2 effects:

1) It prevents all Follow-ups.

2) If you outspeed physical units, they cannot counter.

Windsweep prevents the unit with Windsweep equipped from performing follow-up attacks when they initiate combat (this part doesn't affect the enemy at all), and prevents physical units from counterattacking against a unit that has Windsweep and outspeeds them. It doesn't prevent all follow-ups, so for what you're looking for, you'd need Axebreaker (which, as Ice Dragon pointed out, Reinhardt cannot acquire), not Windsweep (which would prevent Reinhardt from being attacked, period, so Wings of Mercy allies wouldn't be able to warp to his position, unless Reinhardt does not outspeed Hector, in which case Hector kills him in two hits thanks to Armads's built-in Quick Riposte 2. Only way this doesn't happen is that Hector is already below 70% HP, so he can only hit Reinhardt once, which would allow Wings of Mercy allies to warp in and finish Hector for him).

Edited by ILikeKirbys

1 minute ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Windsweep prevents the unit with Windsweep equipped from performing follow-up attacks when they initiate combat (this part doesn't affect the enemy at all), and prevents physical units from counterattacking against a unit that has Windsweep and outspeeds them. It doesn't prevent all follow-ups, so for what you're looking for, you'd need Axebreaker (which, as Ice Dragon pointed out, Reinhardt cannot acquire), not Windsweep (which would prevent Reinhardt from being attacked, period, so Wings of Mercy allies wouldn't be able to warp to his position, unless Reinhardt does not outspeed Hector, in which case Hector kills him in two hits thanks to Armads's built-in Quick Riposte 2. Only way this doesn't happen is that Hector is already below 70% HP, so he can only hit Reinhardt once, which would allow Wings of Mercy allies to warp in and finish Hector for him).

Oh, I thought it prevented opponent's follow up too...

@Ice Dragon, it's such a fun and easy to remember name! The alternative is the Killing Edge/Killing weapon/whatever legendary is an upgraded version of it or Wo Dao, Bonfire/Ignis, and Quick Riposte build. Not exactly a fun title.

Yeah, Wo Dao+ and Moonbow would outperform Killing Edge and Bonfire, but as you said, Wo Dao is locked behind Karel, a 4* to 5* unit, while you can get a Killing Edge from two 3* to 4* units with one having been part of a banner: Fir and Lon'qu. Right now, I feel like Killer weapons are dealing with power creep. Killer Bow and Lance not so much since they don't have a better version like with Mystletainn, Hauteclare, or even Wo Dao which functions differently, but does a similar job with Moonbow. Another problem is that Mystletainn and Hauteclare are found on high defense units who can definitely pull of this build to the point where they make other units running this build pretty pointless, especially if there's a noticeable gap with attack damage such as Beruka being overshadowed completely by Michalis and to a lesser extent, Minerva -- infantry, knights, and mounted units using Killer Axes are a different story, but still. With Killing Edge, it seems like all the ones with Killing Edge don't even want to use it. So, okay, what's the point of Killing Edge then? At least Killer Lance is on Gwendolyn, Lukas, and Peri who want them or can use them very effectively if built right and while overshadowed, Beruka's stats are perfect for a Wall of Fire and Sharp Things build. I don't know, I feel like there has to be a use for Killing Edge and Killer Axe, but I'd rather they weren't budget options or inferior options.

Anyway, do you mind if I make a list of units who can be Walls of Fire and Sharp Things? (Edit: Why did I ask if I just chose to do it?)

So, Bonfire/Ignis, Killing weapon or equivalent, and Quick Riposte. Close and Distant Counter as applicable. There are variants to this like Moonbow and Wo Dao+ for sword units, choosing to use a different weapon for whatever reason, or instead of Bonfire/Ignis, you could run Dragonic Aura provided your unit's attack is high enough to take advantage of it, but Bonfire/Ignis are safer bets as in general specials if your unit's defense is already this high.

Note: I'm placing an at least 30 neutral defense on them to be on the list. Keyword is can. This does not mean they should e.g. Gordin has high defense, but he might be better off as a player phase ranged unit than an enemy one. Also, preferable that they have over 30 defense, so around 32 defense, to be safer. Just using 30 as a check.

Spoiler

Red sword:

=Def: Alfonse, Chrom, Draug, Elidgan, Hinata, Laslow, Selena, Seliph, Stahl, Xander, and Zephiel.

+Def: Alm, Cain, M!Corrin, Eirika, Lyn, Marth, Ogma, Olivia, Palla, and Ryoma.

Red mage: Henry and +Def Sophia.

Red dragon: Tiki (both).

Blue lance:

=Def: Camus, Donnel, Effie, Ephraim, Gwendolyn, Lukas, Oboro, Subaki, and Spring Xander.

+Def: Catria.

Blue mage:

=Def: No one, but M!Robin who has 29 =Def.

+Def: Reinhardt and M!Robin.

Blue dragon: F!Corrin and Nowi.

Green axe:

=Def: Arthur, Barst, Bartre, Beruka, Cherche, Frederick, Gunter, Hector -- does this by default minus an offensive Special --, Michalis, Minerva, Narcian, and Sheena.

+Def: Camilla, Spring Chrom, and Hawkeye.

Green mage: Spring Camilla and because there isn't anyone else, F!Robin.

+Def: Merric.

Green dragon: None; +Def Fae has 29 Def.

Archer: Gordin and +Def Virion.

Thief: Matthew and Saizo.

Out of the list, the ones that should if you're looking to run this build are probably Eldigan and Michalis because of their legendary weapons behaving as 16 MT Killing weapons. Minerva can work too, but her defense isn't as high as the two. For units with legendary weapons e.g. Chrom or skills that while can be inherited, do uniquely define them like Effie and her Wary Fighter, they might not want to run this build unless you don't have anyone else and really want to use this build for whatever reason. Because of his stats favoring magic resistance, +Def Hawkeye shouldn't run this which is the opposite case for Sheena if she were to run the below build since her defense is higher than her resistance.

Alternatively, I bet a Wall of Ice and Sharp Things is possible too, but physical units will need Distant Counter to be very effective -- they can still move up and attack, but that might not work for all situations -- which is not ideal considering how expensive it is per character: one Hector a pop. This is probably going to be more of an archers, mages, and thieves' thing or anyone with a built-in or has Distant Counter by default. Similar to the Wall of Fire and Sharp Things, at least 30 neutral resistance will be on the list.

Basically, swap out Bonfire/Ignis for Iceberg/Glacies that the Wall of Fire and Sharp Thing has. Similar considerations and variances apply.

Spoiler

Red sword:

=Res: Caeda, Eliwood, Fir, and 5* Roy who is going to have 30 neutral resistance if he gets attacked due to Binding Blade's effect.

+Res: Eirika, Lyn, Roy, and Selena.

Red mage:

=Res: Lilina, Leo, and Sanaki.

+Res: Raigh and Sophia.

Red dragon: +Res young Tiki.

Blue lance:

=Res: Clair, Est, Florina, Jagen, and Peri.

+Res: Azura, Gwendolyn, Shanna, Sully, and Spring Xander.

Blue mage:

=Res: Olwen and Ursula.

+Res: Linde.

Blue dragon: Ninian and +Res Nowi.

Green axe: Camilla, Hawkeye, and Sheena.

Green mage:

=Res: Julia.

+Res: Cecilia and Nino.

Green dragon: Fae.

Archer: Faye, Niles, and +Res Rebecca.

Thief: Felicia and +Res Kagero.

Edit: Y'know, I think favor defensive builds more than offensive ones. Welp, let's see how a defensive Cherche works in practice. Now, if only I can get at least an average Cherche to pass down all of -Atk Cherche's skills.

Edited by Kaden

35 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Wo Dao is locked behind Karel, a 4* to 5* unit,

Karel is, in fact, 5-star exclusive.

One other thing, Zephiel is so slow, he can actually run Wo Dao+ with Bonfire instead of Moonbow because he gets double attacked by everything relevant not named Sophia and Reinhardt. The only thing keeping him from out-performing Draug is the fact that he can't reach higher than +1 merge and his HP wears out faster due to being double attacked.

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Karel is, in fact, 5-star exclusive.

One other thing, Zephiel is so slow, he can actually run Wo Dao+ with Bonfire instead of Moonbow because he gets double attacked by everything relevant not named Sophia and Reinhardt. The only thing keeping him from out-performing Draug is the fact that he can't reach higher than +1 merge and his HP wears out faster due to being double attacked.

Would you happen to have a source on Zephiel's stats?

6 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

This guy sure knows how to Min/Max.

Not to mention his default skills are also very well min-maxed:

• Eckesachs has built-in Threaten Def 2, meaning anything that just attacked Zephiel is in range to take an additional 4 damage on Zephiel's next player phase.
  • Reprisal works perfectly with his 55 HP, the highest among all units in the game.
  • Life and Death is a somewhat odd choice, but we can't all be perfect all the time. In a perfect world, Zephiel would've just wanted +5 Atk and -5 Def to his base stats.
  • Wary Fighter prevents enemies from having follow-up attacks and has no negative effect on himself because his Spd is so low (the only level-40 5-star unit with low enough Spd to be double attacked by Zephiel with his default skills including Life and Death 3 is -Spd Sophia).

12 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Not to mention his default skills are also very well min-maxed:

• Eckesachs has built-in Threaten Def 2, meaning anything that just attacked Zephiel is in range to take an additional 4 damage on Zephiel's next player phase.
  • Reprisal works perfectly with his 55 HP, the highest among all units in the game.
  • Life and Death is a somewhat odd choice, but we can't all be perfect all the time. In a perfect world, Zephiel would've just wanted +5 Atk and -5 Def to his base stats.
  • Wary Fighter prevents enemies from having follow-up attacks and has no negative effect on himself because his Spd is so low (the only level-40 5-star unit with low enough Spd to be double attacked by Zephiel with his default skills including Life and Death 3 is -Spd Sophia).

To this day I'll never understand why they made Sophia so slow.

It makes since for men walking around in giant, heavy armor to be slow (except Draug apparently).

But Sophia's a skinny, little mage. What reasoning is there for her to be one of the slowest characters in the entire game?

2 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

It makes since for men walking around in giant, heavy armor to be slow (except Draug apparently).

But Sophia's a skinny, little mage. What reasoning is there for her to be one of the slowest characters in the entire game?

She gets too exhausted running to the battle? There can't be too much endurance in that skinny frame.

3 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Her dress and shoes make it hard to walk. She also seems to be asthmatic or at least has respiratory problems.

17 hours ago, Korath88 said:

Actually, glimmer adds 50% to damage dealt. Dragon fang is the skill that adds 50% of Atk as damage. For example, if a unit with 30 Atk deals 10 damage to an enemy normally, glimmer will increase that damage by 5 (50% of 10), while dragon fang increases damage dealt by 15 (50% of 30). As such, it's not "strictly better" than Iceberg. In fact, it's probably worse.

There's a reason why glimmer is considered to be the worst damage skill.

Aaand so I got Glimmer and Dragon Fang mixed up. Thank you for the correction.

Except Glimmer is 3 count and Dragon Fang is 4 count. Here I was excited getting a few Berukas for Glimmer. I can see that it's not that good a skill then. I'm trying to think of where Glimmer could be good. A very high attack unit, maybe a high attack mage, as units tend to have higher defense than magic? But mages tend to have good resistance so it wouldn't be that effective vs mages.

At best it could be a temporary skill to have something in the activation slot for my better units until I get the activation skill I really want.

14 hours ago, MrSmokestack said:

Most people run Quick Riposte at Tier 2, though that's mostly because the full chain is 5* exclusive at the moment. I suppose that line of thought could pass for a Weaponbreaker?

Quick Riposte 2 is for being over 80%, Quick Riposte is for being over 70%. Since it's a counter skill anyway, you'll pretty much only get one use out of it per battle unless you have healers or healing skills, and the difference between 70% and 80% will very rarely matter for getting a second proc out of it and is not worth paying 20k feathers for.

But for Breaker skills, it's over 70% for 2 and over 50% for 3. That's a bigger difference between them, you might get 2 or even 3 uses out of a Breaker 3 skill where you would only get 1 or 2 out of a Breaker 2.

I'd like to have Swordbreaker 3 on my Eirika, but 20k feathers...

5 minutes ago, XaosLogos said:

Except Glimmer is 3 count and Dragon Fang is 4 count. Here I was excited getting a few Berukas for Glimmer. I can see that it's not that good a skill then. I'm trying to think of where Glimmer could be good. A very high attack unit, maybe a high attack mage, as units tend to have higher defense than magic? But mages tend to have good resistance so it wouldn't be that effective vs mages.

At best it could be a temporary skill to have something in the activation slot for my better units until I get the activation skill I really want.

Comparing Glimmer and Draconic Aura because they have the same cooldown, Glimmer is +50% damage and Draconic Aura is additional damage equal to +30% Atk.

This means that Glimmer is superior if your Atk exceeds your opponent's Def/Res by 2.5 times. While this is a common scenario at weapon triangle advantage or when stacking buffs with Litrblade, in both of these cases, you're typically already dealing enough damage that either one will secure your kill. On the other hand, because Draconic Aura's damage is independent of weapon triangle modifiers, it lets you deal respectable damage even at weapon triangle disadvantage, making it useful in more situations.

15 hours ago, BANRYU said:

It's a shame Lilina can't use Bonfire effectively for flavor purposes lol. 

I gave her Iceberg and am free to headcanon her mother as an Ilian. (Hector×Farina go!)

1 hour ago, XaosLogos said:

Aaand so I got Glimmer and Dragon Fang mixed up. Thank you for the correction.

This whole discussion about Glimmer makes me curious as to who that could actually be good on....

So with the way it works, it essentially wants really high-attack units... Effie tops the chart ofc, but also has good defense and prefers Bonfire. So our next best attackers are Cherche and Chrom, who also have good defense to make use of Bonfire with (32 and 31 respectively), as well as Sanaki and Lilina, who have high Res for Iceberg (34 and 31). After that we get Hector and Bartre who also have pretty crazy defense and then the numerous base 35ers. 

So the question is, do any of them stand a chance at outdamaging Draconic Aura/Bonfire/Iceberg with Glimmer? Chrom, Lilina, and Cherche seem like the most likely choices, with the former two having relatively lower defenses compared to the others and Cherche frequently running Brave Axe to fill her counter quickly as well as sporting the second highest Atk overall...

Ordinarily I'd attempt to answer my own question but it's late and I'm tired and don't wanna do math so if no one does by the time I revisit in the morning then I'll check it myself lol...

EDIT: Actually now that I'm thinking on it more, wouldn't ol' One-Punch 'Wood with his effective 60 attack work pretty well for that too...? Then again... with as few hits as he needs he might simply be better served by Moonbow...

1 hour ago, Vaximillian said:

I gave her Iceberg and am free to headcanon her mother as an Ilian. (Hector×Farina go!)

Hey man I can buy it haha. Hers will be a song of ice and fire lol

Edited by BANRYU

1 hour ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Ever noticed how Sophia's stats set up is essentially "Manakete with less speed to make up for the base stats disparity between Dragon and Mage"?

Edited by JSND

4 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

So the question is, do any of them stand a chance at outdamaging Draconic Aura/Bonfire/Iceberg with Glimmer?

Short answer: No.

Long answer:

The average amount of Def/Res across all characters in the game is 26. In order for Glimmer to out-damage Draconic Aura against an enemy with 26 Def, you need 65 effective Atk, achievable with 55 Atk at weapon triangle advantage or 47 Atk at weapon triangle advantage with Triangle Adept 3. It's not really a problem to hit the threshold.

But when you're in this situation, you're dealing 39 + 19 = 58 damage, which will one-hit kill every unit in the game regardless of which between Glimmer and Draconic Aura you choose. That's the problem. At the point where Glimmer is out-damaging Draconic Aura, you do so much damage that it really didn't matter which one you had.

Now let's look at it in reverse. We'll use 50 Atk as a benchmark for high Atk. In order for Glimmer to out-damage Draconic Aura, the enemy needs to have less than

• 28 Def at weapon triangle advantage with Triangle Adept 3. The attack deals at least 63 damage.
  • 24 Def at weapon triangle advantage. The attack deals at least 54 damage.
  • 20 Def at neutral weapon triangle. The attack deals at least 45 damage.
  • 16 Def at weapon triangle disadvantage. The attack deals at least 36 damage.
  • 12 Def at weapon triangle disadvantage with Triangle Adept 3. The attack deals at least 27 damage.

Resolving these into practical descriptions of the situations where Glimmer is performing better than Draconic Aura:

• At weapon triangle advantage with Triangle Adept 3, if you're doing more damage with Glimmer than with Draconic Aura, you're killing the enemy regardless.
  • At weapon triangle advantage, if you're doing more damage with Glimmer than with Draconic Aura, you're killing the enemy regardless.
  • At neutral weapon triangle, if you're doing more damage with Glimmer than with Draconic Aura, you're almost always killing the enemy regardless.
  • At weapon triangle disadvantage, if you're doing more damage with Glimmer than with Draconic Aura, you're fighting something with incredibly low Def/Res.
  • At weapon triangle disadvantage with Triangle Adept 3, if you're doing more damage with Glimmer than with Draconic Aura, you're fighting something with even more incredibly low Def/Res.

Resolving these into an actual comparison between Glimmer and Draconic Aura:

• At weapon triangle advantage with Triangle Adept 3, Draconic Aura is better because any case where Glimmer is better is already overkill.
  • At weapon triangle advantage, Draconic Aura is better because any case where Glimmer is better is already overkill.
  • At neutral weapon triangle, Draconic Aura is better because any case where Glimmer is better is already overkill.
  • At weapon triangle disadvantage, Draconic Aura is better because Glimmer is better against so few enemies.
  • At weapon triangle disadvantage with Triangle Adept 3, Draconic Aura is better because Glimmer is better against even fewer enemies.

Which means Draconic Aura is better than Glimmer.

This means that in any case where Bonfire or Iceberg is better than Draconic Aura, Bonfire or Iceberg is automatically better than Glimmer and in any case where Bonfire or Iceberg is worse than Draconic Aura, Draconic Aura is still better than Glimmer.

Which means Glimmer is never the best option. Ever.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Short answer: No.

Long answer:

The average amount of Def/Res across all characters in the game is 26. In order for Glimmer to out-damage Draconic Aura against an enemy with 26 Def, you need 65 effective Atk, achievable with 55 Atk at weapon triangle advantage or 47 Atk at weapon triangle advantage with Triangle Adept 3. It's not really a problem to hit the threshold.

But when you're in this situation, you're dealing 39 + 19 = 58 damage, which will one-hit kill every unit in the game regardless of which between Glimmer and Draconic Aura you choose. That's the problem. At the point where Glimmer is out-damaging Draconic Aura, you do so much damage that it really didn't matter which one you had.

Now let's look at it in reverse. We'll use 50 Atk as a benchmark for high Atk. In order for Glimmer to out-damage Draconic Aura, the enemy needs to have less than

• 28 Def at weapon triangle advantage with Triangle Adept 3. The attack deals at least 63 damage.
  • 24 Def at weapon triangle advantage. The attack deals at least 54 damage.
  • 20 Def at neutral weapon triangle. The attack deals at least 45 damage.
  • 16 Def at weapon triangle disadvantage. The attack deals at least 36 damage.
  • 12 Def at weapon triangle disadvantage with Triangle Adept 3. The attack deals at least 27 damage.

Resolving these into practical descriptions of the situations where Glimmer is performing better than Draconic Aura:

• At weapon triangle advantage with Triangle Adept 3, if you're doing more damage with Glimmer than with Draconic Aura, you're killing the enemy regardless.
  • At weapon triangle advantage, if you're doing more damage with Glimmer than with Draconic Aura, you're killing the enemy regardless.
  • At neutral weapon triangle, if you're doing more damage with Glimmer than with Draconic Aura, you're almost always killing the enemy regardless.
  • At weapon triangle disadvantage, if you're doing more damage with Glimmer than with Draconic Aura, you're fighting something with incredibly low Def/Res.
  • At weapon triangle disadvantage with Triangle Adept 3, if you're doing more damage with Glimmer than with Draconic Aura, you're fighting something with even more incredibly low Def/Res.

Resolving these into an actual comparison between Glimmer and Draconic Aura:

• At weapon triangle advantage with Triangle Adept 3, Draconic Aura is better because any case where Glimmer is better is already overkill.
  • At weapon triangle advantage, Draconic Aura is better because any case where Glimmer is better is already overkill.
  • At neutral weapon triangle, Draconic Aura is better because any case where Glimmer is better is already overkill.
  • At weapon triangle disadvantage, Draconic Aura is better because Glimmer is better against so few enemies.
  • At weapon triangle disadvantage with Triangle Adept 3, Draconic Aura is better because Glimmer is better against even fewer enemies.

Which means Draconic Aura is better than Glimmer.

This means that in any case where Bonfire or Iceberg is better than Draconic Aura, Bonfire or Iceberg is automatically better than Glimmer and in any case where Bonfire or Iceberg is worse than Draconic Aura, Draconic Aura is still better than Glimmer.

Which means Glimmer is never the best option. Ever.

Ah, well. There was a glimmer of hope.

Which B passive would +atk -spd Kagero like the most? I was considering her default Daggerbreaker or Bowbreaker from Setsuna before, but she OHKOs pretty much all the archers and thieves anyways after I got her to 5* (I wanted Drag Back on her but that didn't quite work out).