Skill Inheritance Discussion.

Ewwgene

Guess I have to go find a Life and Death person now. I wasn't really worried about her offensive capabilities, I'm well aware of those. It's more that I'm not sure that sort of set fits my style. I was wondering if maybe there was a set that did. That said, I'm definitely not opposed to trying out hyper-offense...I think I'll just go ahead and do that.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

How restricted is +Spd/-Res Linde to a hyper-offensive build? I wound up with her after deciding to try for a Reinhardt on the Zephiel banner, which is really nice since I've found myself needing a solid answer to red mages. On the other hand, hyper-offensive isn't usually my playstyle (ex. I'm running Vantage Nino, and was/still am strongly considering switching out Ephraim for Triangle Adept/Quick Riposte Nowi). I'm just pondering my options, given Linde's defenses, such as they are...or rather, aren't.

I guess I could always learn the ways of the hyper-offense too. I'd imagine she'd make the transition pretty easy =P .

Well she's pretty much stuck as a glass cannon; her stats don't lie. Though it depends if you run Desperation or Vantage on her. Desperation makes her deadly on player phase, as opposed to Vantage on enemy phase (only against non-green ranged units though). In order to self-sufficiently proc her B skills, you'll either need to keep her Ardent Sacrifice Assist, or run Fury as an optional slot A to take passive damage outside of combat; after two safe combats, Linde is in Desperation/Vantage range. I wouldn't suggest running Threaten Spd as her C skill because she doesn't really benefit from it; I mean she is fast, and she's a nuke. If her opponent's are fast enough not be doubled by her, more often than not, they'll be frail enough to be one shotted anyway (once again, stay away from green mages, and Hector). Threaten Res in tandem with Vantage further improves her counter killing potential in front of ranged enemies.

I'm going to make a cavalry team soon with these units:

Xander (when he comes out)-Abel-Ursula (Blarblade)-Gunter/Frederick

Frederick can learn Fortify cavalry from a spare -Atk Jagen I have, and I have a spare Gunter if he learns it so Abel has Hone cavalry. Which axe cavalry should I use?

2 minutes ago, Zero1000 said:

I'm going to make a cavalry team soon with these units:

Xander (when he comes out)-Abel-Ursula (Blarblade)-Gunter/Frederick

Frederick can learn Fortify cavalry from a spare -Atk Jagen I have, and I have a spare Gunter if he learns it so Abel has Hone cavalry. Which axe cavalry should I use?

I say you should run Frederick, since he'll most likely end up better than Gunter stat-wise. Consider inheriting a Brave Axe onto him if you can so he can do better damage when you need him to hit people, though he'll be here primarily to (along with Abel) give Ursula the buffs and make her OP. Xander's probably gonna be your best tank (since he'll have Distant Counter via Seigfried, and if his skills are what he had in 9-5 Lunatic then he'll have Quick Riposte to always double-counter, and if he doesn't you should give him that), so keep him adjacent to at least Frederick at all times so he can tank better. Additionally, I would give Ursula Ward Cavalry and Xander Goad Cavalry if you can, since I think having extra Hones/Fortifys would be redundant and Goad/Ward can be used to support one another even when they have all the buffs (Ward makes Xander and Frederick better tanks, Goad makes Ursula just slightly stronger in case she needs that, and Abel and Frederick a bit stronger too so they can do probably significantly more damage with their Brave weapons).

Looks like a great Horse Emblem team tho, mate! Considering Xander's the next Grand Hero Battle after Zephiel (at least, from what I recall, he should be), we won't have to wait much longer to see how this'll work out.

Frederick is literally Gunter+

Like its almost as if you gave Gunter atk and def boon and he become Freddy

I think Abel is kinda superfluous in that set up since Ursula murders red while Xander can theoritically tank Red too. I'd go Cecilia if only because she checks Reinhardt which Magics can be annoying to Gunter or Frederick both

15 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

I say you should run Frederick, since he'll most likely end up better than Gunter stat-wise. Consider inheriting a Brave Axe onto him if you can so he can do better damage when you need him to hit people, though he'll be here primarily to (along with Abel) give Ursula the buffs and make her OP. Xander's probably gonna be your best tank (since he'll have Distant Counter via Seigfried, and if his skills are what he had in 9-5 Lunatic then he'll have Quick Riposte to always double-counter, and if he doesn't you should give him that), so keep him adjacent to at least Frederick at all times so he can tank better. Additionally, I would give Ursula Ward Cavalry and Xander Goad Cavalry if you can, since I think having extra Hones/Fortifys would be redundant and Goad/Ward can be used to support one another even when they have all the buffs (Ward makes Xander and Frederick better tanks, Goad makes Ursula just slightly stronger in case she needs that, and Abel and Frederick a bit stronger too so they can do probably significantly more damage with their Brave weapons).

Looks like a great Horse Emblem team tho, mate! Considering Xander's the next Grand Hero Battle after Zephiel (at least, from what I recall, he should be), we won't have to wait much longer to see how this'll work out.

8 minutes ago, JSND said:

Frederick is literally Gunter+

Like its almost as if you gave Gunter atk and def boon and he become Freddy

I think Abel is kinda superfluous in that set up since Ursula murders red while Xander can theoritically tank Red too. I'd go Cecilia if only because she checks Reinhardt which Magics can be annoying to Gunter or Frederick both

Thanks for the feedback! So Frederick is it, then.

I also have a Cecilia, so considering who runs which "x Cavalry" skill, she will get Hone Cavalry. I also have a lot of Barsts so Frederick can get a Brave Axe.

The way i see it i think Fred is the best holder of Hone Cavalry

The idea is that Brave Fred can pretty much always one shot his target. When you do need an extra, your Goad and or Ward should be the go to dude

Xander need both buff. Because hes the one who probably do heavy lifting on EP. 

Ursula need both too for Blade. Hone puts Ursula at 95 target kill while Fortify and Blade put her at like 104 so its somewhat significant. Finally Cecilia iirc had some one shots from Hone

All that said and done id reccomend something along the lines of

Hone Frederick

Fortify Cecilia

Hone Xander

Ward/Goad/Fortify Ursula

My personal opinion for a full cavalry team is to put Hone Cavalry on everyone.

This way, you can arbitrarily split your army into two teams of two depending on your opponent's composition and have the more useful Hone Cavalry buff on all four members at all times. You never have to worry about positioning your units for maximum buffs because you're always getting maximum buffs so long as you keep each pair together.

I'll throw this in here: got a Cordelia with -Attack. No surprise that she's now SI fodder. She's a 4* so her Triangle Advantage is only rank 2.

I have Defiant Attack 2 on my +Speed/-Res Fem!Corrin. Which is better, the Defiant Attack or TA2?

Question connected to the previous one: I have a neutral Ephraim I'm working on. Don't have Lancebreaker yet but that's what he's going to get down the road. Would you put that TA2 on him, or Fury 3?

19 minutes ago, TheNiddo said:

I'll throw this in here: got a Cordelia with -Attack. No surprise that she's now SI fodder. She's a 4* so her Triangle Advantage is only rank 2.

I have Defiant Attack 2 on my +Speed/-Res Fem!Corrin. Which is better, the Defiant Attack or TA2?

Question connected to the previous one: I have a neutral Ephraim I'm working on. Don't have Lancebreaker yet but that's what he's going to get down the road. Would you put that TA2 on him, or Fury 3?

Wait for Triangle Adept 3 fodder. But otherwise, I'd take it over Defiant Atk. She has poor resistance to greens so her matchups being worse against them doesn't affect her at all.

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

My personal opinion for a full cavalry team is to put Hone Cavalry on everyone.

This way, you can arbitrarily split your army into two teams of two depending on your opponent's composition and have the more useful Hone Cavalry buff on all four members at all times. You never have to worry about positioning your units for maximum buffs because you're always getting maximum buffs so long as you keep each pair together.

This is actually my running plan after I've completed blade Cecilia, for which I need another Nino and some more Gunters as fodder. So it won't be happening for quite a while.

Thanks for the answers.

Also, not related to horse teams, but what would be a good C skill for a +Def/-HP Roy? I have Hone Attack (F!Corn) and Speed (Matthew), along with Threaten Speed (Navarre or Selena) and Defense (Michalis or Peri).

3 minutes ago, Zero1000 said:

Thanks for the answers.

Also, not related to horse teams, but what would be a good C skill for a +Def/-HP Roy? I have Hone Attack (F!Corn) and Speed (Matthew), along with Threaten Speed (Navarre or Selena) and Defense (Michalis or Peri).

It's either hone speed or attack depending on what your team needs

threaten skills are for squares

Don't let anyone tell you different

Spoiler

Unless you have 2 people who already have hone skills, then threaten skills become a little nyeh.

9 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

It's either hone speed or attack depending on what your team needs

threaten skills are for squares

Don't let anyone tell you different

Reveal hidden contents

Unless you have 2 people who already have hone skills, then threaten skills become a little nyeh.

Looking back at my team, it has enough attack already. Speed, on the other hand, is kinda low.

Got bored, wanted to see how others would use Poison Dagger. Long story short: Kagero is the queen. She's essentially Takumi in regard to daggers. Unsurprising considering her base neutral attack is 35 which is 6 above the second-highest of Gaius, Jakob, and Saizo. Much rougher competition compared to the archers.

So, I tried to get the best overall numbers for Gaius, Jakob, Kagero, Saizo, and also Felicia, Jaffar, and Matthew since I was curious and why not, let's do them all. All of them have Poison Dagger+ and Life & Death 3 and are pitted against everyone with Fury 3. Couldn't get Desperation to work; I got lower numbers with it instead.

Details in spoiler.

Spoiler

Gaius (+Spd, -Def) with Speed +1 Seal. Total stats are 42 HP, 39 Atk, 45 Spd, 14 Def, and 14 Res. B-skill is interchangeable with Axe-, Bow-, and Swordbreaker and Reprisal is his special. Gaius gets 77 wins, 1 loss, and 42 draws. +Atk, -Res Gaius with Speed +1 Seal drops down to 70 wins, 2 losses, and 48 draws.

Jakob (+Spd, -Def) with Speed + 1 Seal. Total stats are 39 HP, 39 Atk, 40 Spd, 17 Def, and 19 Res. B-skill is Swordbreaker -- anything else drops him around 10 wins -- and Reprisal is his special. Jakob gets 65 wins, 2 losses, and 53 draws. +Atk, -Def Jakob with Speed +1 Seal drops down to 61 wins, 1 loss, and 58 draws.

Kagero (+Atk, -Res) with Speed +1 Seal or Kagero (+Spd, -Def or -Res) with Attack +1 Seal. Total stats are 31 HP, 48 Atk, 38 Spd, 17 Def, and 19 Res or 31 HP, 46 Atk, 40 Spd, 17 or 14 Def, and 19 or 23 Res. B-skill is interchangeable with Lance- and Swordbreaker and Reprisal remains her special, but Moonbow works too. Kagero gets 84 wins, 2 losses, and 34 draws.

Saizo (+Spd, -Def) with Attack +1 Seal. Total stats are 36 HP, 40 Atk, 42 Spd, 25 Def, and 11 Res. B-skill is Swordbreaker -- anything else drops him by 10 wins -- and his special can be anything really since it doesn't anything. Saizo gets 71 wins, 8 losses, and 41 draws. +Atk, -Def Saizo with Speed +1 Seal drops to 68 wins, 8 losses, and 44 draws.

And for curiosity's sake, Felicia (+Atk, -Res) with Attack +1 Seal. Total stats are 34 HP, 37 Atk, 42 Spd, 13 Def, and 27 Res. B-skill is Swordbreaker -- anything else drops her by around 9 wins -- and her special is Moonbow -- Reprisal has 3 less wins in this build. Felicia gets 60 wins, 7 losses, and 53 draws.

Jaffar (+Atk, -Def) with either Attack +1 or Speed +1 Seal. Total stats are 41 HP, 40 Atk, 39 Spd, 17 Def, and 17 Res. B-skill is Swordbreaker -- anything else drops him by, at most, 12 wins -- and his special can be Moonbow or Reprisal. Jaffar gets 62 wins, 2 losses, and 56 draws.

Matthew (+Atk, -Def) with Speed +1 Seal. Total stats are 41 HP, 39 Atk, 40 Spd, 22 Def, and 13 Res. B-skill is Swordbreaker -- anything else drops him around 11 wins -- and his special is Reprisal -- Moonbow gets 1 less win. Matthew gets 66 wins, 2 losses, and 52 draws.

So, yeah, Kagero has a commanding lead where the second-best candidate for a Poison Dagger, Gaius, is 7 wins short of her. What was weird for me was Jaffar and Matthew. I'd figure Jaffar wouldn't do well since with an 11 MT personal weapon, his attack cannot be as high as the others, but what I didn't expect was for Jaffar to underperform compared to Matthew who managed to perform similarly to Jakob. Felicia performs the worst which is to be expected considering her base neutral attack is 23, 12 under Kagero, 6 under the 3 main candidates, 3 under Jaffar, and 2 under Matthew.

Basically, I did this to confirm my suspicion that Gaius wants Life & Death to succeed well. He's fragile and has fairly average attack, but is very fast and has high HP; Gaius is basically Lon'qu, a similar situation he had in Awakening. The problem is that he starts out with arguably the worst dagger in the game that he's dependent on for survival meaning if you want to use him well, you're going to have to spend SP for a Poison Dagger which is rare and used much better by Kagero or more easier to come by, but not as strong, a Silver Dagger which Jakob by default uses effectively. And then you have to replace his other skills which is probably more work than Kagero who starts out with Poison Dagger and Reprisal and only really needs Life & Death and a B-skill. That said, if you really like Gaius, got screwed by a terrible Kagero which even then, she's still powerful with stuff like -Atk or -Spd, or you want another Poison Dagger thief, Gaius might be the best candidate. Also, he's kind of the Hinoka to Kagero's Cordelia and Hinoka performs well, but not as well as Cordelia offensively. That would make Saizo Est, then...

The other reason was to check on Saizo. Poison Dagger works, but because Life & Death is needed to maximize damage output, it hurts one of Saizo's greatest strengths: his defense. The problem is that the meta revolves around who can instantly vaporize units which if you can't, then it's a problem. If it weren't, I'd figure a defensive, supportive Saizo would be a useful ally to have and not just dead weight who can't kill or do enough damage. Part of this came from experimenting with eclipse's idea of Seal Speed on a Silver Dagger user. Let's just say it's really fun. Saizo's Smoke Dagger reminds me of Corrin's Dark Breath. I wonder if a default Corrin-like build would be good on him. Well, it would help, but it's probably not going to be favored by the meta.

Edit: Huh... Budget build for Gaius: +Atk, -Def, Silver Dagger+, Life & Death 3, Swordbreaker 3, any C-slot, default or any Assist, and Moonbow. 62 wins, 3 losses, 55 draws against everyone without Fury 3. If he's +Spd, -Def, then 45 wins, 3 losses, 72 draws and if neutral, then 41 wins, 3 losses, 76 draws.

Edited by Kaden

Technically speaking any build that includes 5*-exclusive skills like Death Blow/QuickRip/LaD and 5* weapons isn't what I'd call budget, but all the same...

That is good to know, thanks for looking into that! I've always thought that Gaius was better than his tiering indicates.

1 hour ago, BANRYU said:

Technically speaking any build that includes 5*-exclusive skills like Death Blow/QuickRip/LaD and 5* weapons isn't what I'd call budget, but all the same...

That is good to know, thanks for looking into that! I've always thought that Gaius was better than his tiering indicates.

Well, budget in a sense that sacrificing Kagero for Poison Dagger when she's the only one that has it and Daggerbreaker is pretty steep compared to a 5* Jakob who has skills other units can give e.g. Fae gives a full set of Renewal, M!Corrin and Stahl give a full set of Defense +, Cecilia can give Rally Resistance, and of course, if you have a spare 5* Felicia, she can give Silver Dagger+ too or if she's a 3* or 4*, she can start the branch of getting a Silver Dagger+.

That and this is the, "ideal" 5* build. You could get by with Silver Dagger and L&D 2 for a 4* Gaius and that would be fine. He won't be as powerful, but he'd still be pretty good. Oh, and Silver Dagger's MT being 7 makes it a Rogue Dagger+ without its self-buff and needing to promote him into a 5*.

I'd put Gaius in the same boat as Caeda, M!Corrin, Draug, Est, Florina, Hana, and Matthew. Their stats are fine, but their weapons and skills leave much to be desired like M!Corrin's stats are good and Yato has a built-in Darting Blow 2, but his skills outside of Dragon Fang are kind of meh, or they just don't work with their stats like who thought it was a good idea for the low defense, high resistance Pegasus Knights to have Armorslayer and Heavy Lance? Above them would be units who given a different weapon or just one more skill would be amazing: Bartre, Cherche, Frederick, Oboro, and Setsuna come to mind. The hilarity is that almost all of them want Brave weapons.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's more work for units like Gaius since you'd have to basically overhaul them while adding to their empty slots like out of the skills I would keep on Gaius, it would be Rally Speed and that's it. Defiant Attack would be better on a tanky unit who can drop to critical HP and survive and Pass might be better on someone else rather than fragile, speedy Gaius. With someone like Cherche, all you really need to make her better is Brave Axe. Yes, getting stuff like Death Blow, a B-slot, and a special would be amazing for her, but Attack +3 still boosts her already fearsome attack, Pivot is great, and Fortify Def is a buff skill and what's bad about them? Setsuna has situational skills, but they're good situational skills that can work with her. Could be better on someone else, but at least it works with her without issues like I need glass cannon Hana to smack a knight and hopefully not die or take too much damage or somehow get Draug to initiate combat when he's a knight.

So yeah, I was curious, Gaius is one of my favorite characters, and I was wondering exactly how'd he do with a Poison Dagger and also, a Silver Dagger since I really need to get rid of units and there's this clumsy, extra Felicia with a Silver Dagger waiting for someone.

Edited by Kaden

What would be a good special skill for Reinhardt? I have Sol, Noontime and Luna from 4* units. I have other skills from 3* units, but I'm saving feathers for now.

Edited by Zero1000

42 minutes ago, Zero1000 said:

What would be a good special skill for him? I have Sol, Noontime and Luna from 4* units. I have other skills from 3* units, but I'm saving feathers for now.

For who? Roy?

@Zero1000 Draconic Aura is a great skill for Reinhardt, charges quickly and gives him significantly higher damage when it procs. You could run Dragon Fang too if you want, since he has a Brave weapon and could charge it fairly quickly, but I think Draconic Aura would be slightly better since it'll go off on Reinhardt's second combat rather than his third. I run Draconic Aura on my Reinhardt, and he's been a monster (though mine's +ATK, has Death Blow 2 and has Hone Cavalry more often than not since he's on a cavalry team, so DracAura might not give you the results it gave me).

But if Sol/Noontime/Luna are your only options, go Luna. It probably won't matter too much unless you're against high-RES enemies, but Reinhardt doesn't need healing nearly as much as he wants extra nuking power.

That's my two cents.

6 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

@Zero1000 Draconic Aura is a great skill for Reinhardt, charges quickly and gives him significantly higher damage when it procs. You could run Dragon Fang too if you want, since he has a Brave weapon and could charge it fairly quickly, but I think Draconic Aura would be slightly better since it'll go off on Reinhardt's second combat rather than his third. I run Draconic Aura on my Reinhardt, and he's been a monster (though mine's +ATK, has Death Blow 2 and has Hone Cavalry more often than not since he's on a cavalry team, so DracAura might not give you the results it gave me).

But if Sol/Noontime/Luna are your only options, go Luna. It probably won't matter too much unless you're against high-RES enemies, but Reinhardt doesn't need healing nearly as much as he wants extra nuking power.

That's my two cents.

I do have Draconic Aura from a -Atk F!Corrin, though she's 3* and I'm saving feathers to get someone to 5*.

8 minutes ago, Zero1000 said:

I do have Draconic Aura from a -Atk F!Corrin, though she's 3* and I'm saving feathers to get someone to 5*.

Then either give Reinhardt Luna, or wait until you have feathers to spare, promote F!Corrin and immediately burn her to make Reinhardt even more awesome than he already is...
Though honestly, Rising/Blazing Thunder isn't terrible on Reinhardt either. He doesn't really need his Special all that often, Dire Thunder + Death Blow can handle most enemies pretty well by itself.

All in all, if you can't give him Draconic Aura now, then you don't need to change Rein's Special, since he doesn't require it often (at least, he doesn't when I use him and he has +6 ATK from Hone Cavs...).

Edited by ILikeKirbys

17 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

Then either give Reinhardt Luna, or wait until you have feathers to spare, promote F!Corrin and immediately burn her to make Reinhardt even more awesome than he already is...
Though honestly, Rising/Blazing Thunder isn't terrible on Reinhardt either. He doesn't really need his Special all that often, Dire Thunder + Death Blow can handle most enemies pretty well by itself.

All in all, if you can't give him Draconic Aura now, then you don't need to change Rein's Special, since he doesn't require it often (at least, he doesn't when I use him and he has +6 ATK from Hone Cavs...).

I'll be waiting until I have feathers for F!Corrin. Thanks for the answers.

Also, should I keep him with Vantage or give him another B skill?