Do you guys think that this game will be like the 3DS games?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of content? Sure.  If this game has Fates' style of map design and gimmicks, that would be really cool.

But I'm hoping this game leans more towards Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn in terms of characterization and depth of story.  

I just hope the game flows as fast as the 3DS games. The Tellius games are terribly slow and sort of a slog to play, and I fear another console game could end up as slow as these. Other than that, I'm fine with withever they want to do.

Edited by Nobody

4 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I just hope the game flows as fast as the 3DS games. The Tellius games are terribly slow and sort of a slog to play, and I fear another console game could end up as slow as these. Other than that, I'm fine with withever they want to do.

That would be cool.

I want a break-the-convention game for the FE like what BotW did with Zelda. Because honestly FE gameplay is getting very stale. I can bare with another Awakening-ish game but if it more like pre-Awakening then I don't know. 

Edited by IMCasual

Fates and Awakening brought back nearly anything you could think of from previous titles in terms of gameplay. The only major omissions that come to mind are Fog of War maps and bonus experience. FoW nobody would ask to return, and bonus EXP only makes functional sense in a game that gives the player no paralogues or means of grinding experience. Otherwise it's just more experience you didn't need.

FE Switch seems like the ideal opportunity to explore new gameplay concepts. Especially if they're looking to do a sub-series of remakes after Shadows of Valentia. I would hate for FE Switch to bomb because of its new ideas, but this series is definitely in a financial position for experimentation and risk taking. As far as where to move from Fates, keep up with buffs/debuffs as you reintroduce the restore staff. Maybe consider making the stat debuffs (but not status ailments) permanent until cured, that way the player has to press on rather than end turns outside the (stationary) enemy's range. Play more with turn-based reinforcements rather than just tile-based. The latter lets you create a consistently challenging area, but the former lets you put time limits on optional objectives, like visiting villages before the bandits show up. Also, offspring seals are great, I would strongly consider having that sort of item or effect on all paralogue units so that they always join at a suitable level.

Edited by Gustavos

I doubt this will be similar to the 3DS games. Every time FE has jumped to a new console (or in the early days, multiple times in one console), there's usually plenty of notable changes, from gameplay to presentation. For all we know, we could end up getting animated 3D models in place of the static 2D character portraits in the 3DS games, and I personally also expect the 3D models on the map thing to return from the Tellius games.

I want Fog of War to return! I don't want it on every map, but Fog of Way is a nice mechanic and adds another layer of strategy to the game. It also gives Thieves greater purpose due to their vision ranges, and staffies can use the Torch staff to illuminate an area.

As for Fire Emblem Switch, I'm hoping it leans more towards a Tellius style of doing things. I miss ledges, Shove, Canto, Base Conversations, Various Shapeshifters, Separate Map & Battle Music... Biorhythm was an experiment and I could live without that, and while Bonus EXP was nice, I do not need that either.

Now, from what I am seeing from Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, the battle sequences and voice acting are definitely a jump up from previous titles. Specifically, the battle sequences there remind me a bit more of the Tellius games. If FE:Switch improves on Valentia's presentation due to more powerful hardware and provides a solid story, it may become the best Fire Emblem game yet! Too much optimism? Anyone? No?

While I got into FE due to awakening, I honestly think that they should step away from the 3ds titles. Awakening was fine for me (became my favorite game) but Fates, the way they tried to rehash awakening while making some overall lackluster changes to the formula nearly killed my love of FE (maybe not killed it but certainly made it go down) I would say going with the tellius series route would be nice. Though if we go further, we can combine the tellius games with how New Mystery handled the avatar, you create a backstory for your character and the class you want, but then have them start off basically like Ike did, except make them possibly part of an army and try to change the army from within (kinda like what conquest was going for but failed) So having a combination of parts of other games would make a great game, two things I request from it however is 1. If they include marriage, make it actually matter beyond child units, and if child units are included, make it so they're included in a semi-logical way (not the age accelerating dimension like fates did) and 2. Kinda going along with what I mentioned, make the story unique, or at least different from the FE norm, the formula has been overdone way too much. Also I would like Soldier class to return as playable xD

If the avatar mechanic does return here's hoping for personality customization of some sort or at least dialogue options, would be great to see them take a more WRPG take on a self-insert character. I hope they bring back the map design, general difficulty, and story of the older games (or fates for map design), but keep the character interaction/support system of the 3ds games, minus the child mechanic (unless there's a plot-related time skip like fe4). Not necessarily marriage but I do like pairing up characters plus supports are a great way to get people attached to certain units. Gives me more of a drive to use lower tier units if I like them as a character,not to mention packs more of a punch if you play with permadeath and lose them. 

The absolute last thing I would want is a "3ds style" game. I want a return of proper Fire emblem. That´s never gonna happen though because waifu emblem is what IS is gonna milk until the end of time.

There's certainly going to be pair-up or some evolution of it, and I'd be shocked if the Avatar didn't return.

Besides that I'm expecting a lot more in the way of experimenting and little changes-- stuff that happens every time FE jumps to a new console.

No, I'm expecting a rather fresh take on the series. New console, new possibilities. This'll be the most powerful console they'll ever have had access to, and while I'm not expecting a graphical marvel because it's the Switch, I do think the presentation will be heavily altered to reflect this. 

I'm expecting S supports to return though, and I can see the avatar returning. 

17 minutes ago, Thane said:

No, I'm expecting a rather fresh take on the series. New console, new possibilities. This'll be the most powerful console they'll ever have had access to, and while I'm not expecting a graphical marvel because it's the Switch, I do think the presentation will be heavily altered to reflect this. 

I'm expecting S supports to return though, and I can see the avatar returning. 

Here's hoping IntSys learnt from their mistakes with Fates. I have faith they will, but you never know.

As for the question, I think they'll try and do some stuff different but as Thane said, I'd be surprised if Waifu Emblem and the Avatar System disappeared considering how popular those features are.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:44 AM, Sire said:

I want Fog of War to return! I don't want it on every map, but Fog of Way is a nice mechanic and adds another layer of strategy to the game. It also gives Thieves greater purpose due to their vision ranges, and staffies can use the Torch staff to illuminate an area.

That's the first time I've ever seen someone say that, especially since Fog of War only affects the player-controlled units and not the CPU-controlled ones.

On 3/25/2017 at 3:30 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

That's the first time I've ever seen someone say that, especially since Fog of War only affects the player-controlled units and not the CPU-controlled ones.

I think FoW could be balance to be more fair to both sides. Like enemies who aren't thieves(Or other units with enhanced vision or don't have torches/torch staves basically can't attack on their turn.

I think FoW should return at some point.

13 hours ago, Slumber said:

I think FoW could be balance to be more fair to both sides. Like enemies who aren't thieves(Or other units with enhanced vision or don't have torches/torch staves basically can't attack on their turn.

I believe Advance Wars: Days of Ruin came very close to doing FoW right. In the last used version in FE, moving a unit only illuminates a radius around the space where the unit stops moving. In DoR, all spaces the unit moves through and the vision radius around them are lit up for the whole of that turn. And in another move, in both DoR and DS, while the AI might be able to see you units' locations even if they are (I don't know exactly), they are programmed not to attack unless they have first illuminated that space with another unit- just as with the player.

And to this, perhaps we should add a way of hiding units, something like Berwick's Hide skill (give it to Thieves and they could be even more useful in FoW), or perhaps "Deep Forest" terrain and we could make FoW work in FE.

23 hours ago, Slumber said:

I actually like the idea of FoW too, but that might be because I played RTS first so a strategy game without FoW was kinda strange to me initially.