The Taliver Bandits

Flee Fleet!

Lyn mentions early on that her parents and tribe got killed by the Taliver Bandits, and thus hates them and wants to get revenge on them. In fact, that's the main reason why she ever started to use a sword.

Later on we find out that some rival bandit groups like the Ganelon bandits also hate those guys because they kill women and children as well (but capturing women isn't any better either, Ganelon bandits...)

In the A support of Lyn x Wallace, Wallace mentions he actualy wanted to kill the ruthless Taliver bandits, but got lost.

And that's about it. We never get to kill those bandits, they never appear themselves. Lyn never gets her revenge.

So, uh, what was the whole point of ever having a bandit group in the game's story that's considered ruthless and cruel by even other bandit groups? For the sole purpose to give a reason as to why Lyn became a swordfighter?

What do you guys think?

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I believe Wallace said he actually succeeded in wiping out those bandits so Lynn wouldn't lose herself to revenge. Only after that did he get lost. 

Yup

Wallace: The bandits that used to live in the Taliver Mountains… They are no more. I destroyed the bandits of Taliver.

Source.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

One, props to Wallace for eradicating a whole slew of bandits on his own. Imagine how long it took him to get there in that heavy armor.

Second, those mountains in the middle of Elibe seem destined to be plagued with bandits, due to terrain and distance from any central authority.

Third, Lyn's story is ultimately a side note, a prolonged tutorial as anyone would admit. Unfortunately, Lyn's quest for vengeance had to be sidelined by a need to get her to Lycia, where the real story begins.

That said, anyone thinking of writing a fanfict where she goes back and slays the bandits herself?

Maybe Wallace DIDN'T kill them all on his own? I bet he took a bunch of his strongest troops with him. Because although it's possible gameplay wise, I don't think it is story wise.

I think it's fine that Lyn didn't got to decimate the Taliver. Because, sometimes, revenge is just something that doesn't happen. Either it's not possible or the character moves past that desire. As you know, la venganza nunca es buena. Mata el alma y la envenena. Of course, that Wallace seems to still kill them off anyway may weaken the lesson a little.

In a way, yes, the Taliver only served to flesh out Lyn's character, and worldbuilding. Had Lyn's story been a different focus, one centered on revenge, then maybe that would've given the Taliver more purpose. But it wasn't, so...

Um... Lyn may have wanted revenge on the Taliver Bandits, but at no point does she ever say that they're the main reason why she uses swords. In fact, in the same set of support conversations revealing that Wallace killed the Taliver Bandits, she states the same reason Lucina gives to Chrom when the latter asks the former "who taught you how to fight?".

Anyways, it establishes a kind of conflict that gives reasoning to why Lyn behaves how she behaves. But as mentioned earlier, we never see that conflict resolved by Lyn herself and hear that Wallace resolves it for her so she could move on. Being obsessed over something for so long isn't healthy towards one's psyche. And I could imagine her passing the lesson Wallace teaches her to her own kids, for when they feel the same emotion.

Edited by Just call me AL

I dunno, Wallace solving Lyn's character arc offscreen feels a bit cheap to me... As it is, the Taliver bandits are merely a plot convenience to give Lyn a reason to accompany the avatar and allow the whole succession conflict to unfold.

Although I really like Lyn as a character, a lot about her role in the overall plot just seems tacked on and incomplete. Her saving her grandfather is a nice little story for the tutorial arc (mind, I'm not talking about the gameplay ;) ), but the whole 'bandits killed my parents' motivation is not exactly new and innovative, making it even more frustrating that the conclusion is hidden in a single A-support with a rather unspectacular unit that you might even not re-recruit at all.

The Taliver Bandits weren't that strong to begin with; they had to use poison.

Lyn also mentioned that they used swords (https://serenesforest.net/blazing-sword/scripts/game-script/lyns-story/chapter-3-band-of-mercenaries/), whereas Wallace uses lances; that would have given Wallace WTA.

In terms of plot, I'm inclined to agree that Wallace avenging Lyn's parents cheapens Lyn's tale. But it does make sense in terms of character; Hassar and Madelyn weren't just Lyn's parents, but also Wallace's friends.

Certainly it reinforces the notion that a lot of stuff happens offscreen, but that makes sense, considering that a lot of stuff DOES happen offscreen.

Edited by Paper Jam

17 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

Um... Lyn may have wanted revenge on the Taliver Bandits, but at no point does she ever say that they're the main reason why she uses swords.

Ah, okay. I should have been more clear: Becoming stronger and killing all of them was the main motivation as to why Lyndis began her travels. Of course, correct me, if I'm wrong.

20 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Second, those mountains in the middle of Elibe seem destined to be plagued with bandits, due to terrain and distance from any central authority.

Yeah, if iirc, they live in the mountains of the Sacae-Bern border.

17 hours ago, Just call me AL said:

Being obsessed over something for so long isn't healthy towards one's psyche

Yeah, Wallace says the same thing to Lyn actually, to an extent.

16 hours ago, ping said:

I dunno, Wallace solving Lyn's character arc offscreen feels a bit cheap to me... As it is, the Taliver bandits are merely a plot convenience to give Lyn a reason to accompany the avatar and allow the whole succession conflict to unfold.

Yup. I mean I wish it was at least a sidequest to kill the Taliver Bandits (actually, I just thought about a sidequest in which Eliwood and his friends get ambushed by the Talivers or something, and Wallace, who's still unre-recruited, appears as an NPC to kill the Talivers. After the sidequest he explains to Lyn as to why he went to kill the bandits and prevent her from doing it instead. Would this be a good idea?)

13 hours ago, Paper Jam said:

The Taliver Bandits weren't that strong to begin with; they had to use poison.

Lyn also mentioned that they used swords (https://serenesforest.net/blazing-sword/scripts/game-script/lyns-story/chapter-3-band-of-mercenaries/), whereas Wallace uses lances; that would have given Wallace WTA.

In terms of plot, I'm inclined to agree that Wallace avenging Lyn's parents cheapens Lyn's tale. But it does make sense in terms of character; Hassar and Madelyn weren't just Lyn's parents, but also Wallace's friends.

Certainly it reinforces the notion that a lot of stuff happens offscreen, but that makes sense, considering that a lot of stuff DOES happen offscreen.

Well I do have to agree here. However Wallace, while gameplay wise could kill the bandits, it would certainly be impossible or really difficult for him to kill all of them story wise. 

• 1 month later...

Wallace's only shining bald achievement literally ever is destroying those bandits because he's so irrelevant as a unit who's too outclassed, Geitz is so much better and Oswin/Hector are the only shields you need. That is to say if you even need them at that point for that purpose because all difficult defend chapters already happened in the early game