All Hail the Dancing Manakete: New Banner Revealed

Vaximillian

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The only similarity I see between Azura and Ninian is a gameplay function and ability to marry a lord...

They are also water-themed (ice is water too) and mysterious with tragic past.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Corrin can't dance or sing.

Doesn't matter. I still think he/she has just about as many similarities with Ninian as Azura does.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Doesn't matter. I still think he/she has just about as many similarities with Ninian as Azura does.

They share the same class, they are both implied love interests for the main lord, they both have mysterious and draconic origin, they're both water-themed, how the hell is that not enough?

2 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

They share the same class, they are both implied love interests for the main lord, they both have mysterious and draconic origin, they're both water-themed, how the hell is that not enough?

They both die and come back to life (at least in Revelations ^.^)

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

The only similarity I see between Azura and Ninian is a gameplay function and ability to marry a lord...

Well, admittedly maybe I'm looking too much into it. But when I first saw the Fates trailer, I thought we were getting a distant-future Elibe game (Like what Awakening was to Archanea) and it seems several others did feel like she seemed really suspiciously similar to Ninian. Maybe I have confirmation bias because of my own initial opinions, but I'll list a few similarities that did strike my mind.

1) They both have very similar appearances (Long blue hair, blue-themed outfits, similar body figure, etc...)
2) They both have dancing (Plus singing for Azura I guess) as their main schtick that everyone remembers them for.
3) They are both at the center of a rather dragon-heavy plot.
4) They are both pretty much the implied heroines of their game. (If you're playing Male Corrin at least)
5) Their speech patterns give rather similar vibes, at least to me. (They both seem to enjoy ellipsis)
6) This one's a bit spoilery but

Spoiler

They both like to disappear at the end of their plots (Ninian goes home through the Dragon's Gate and Azura disappears because... uhh... something something really powerful song). Admittedly this one can be negated if Ninian is paired to Eliwood and if you're playing Revelations.

7) Azura's water theme and Ninian's ice theme just also really strikes me as similar somehow.

Of course, this is all subjective, and i can see why one wouldn't think they're so similar. But at least to me, it did kind of hit my warning button for a little while. I like Azura, but I didn't really want her to take over Ninian's general spot either.

8 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

They're not really the same class though. Ninian is a Dancer, Azura is a Songstress. They have the same function in gameplay, but one dances and the other sings and uses lances. So I don't count that. So implied love interests, mysterious and draconic origin, and water themed. That all applies to Corrin too. Having the same function in gameplay is there too, but a lot of characters share the same gameplay function with others. It's a very minor thing.

I don't think Azura looks much like Ninian at all. Different colors, different dresses, and different hair. Ninian looks more greenish to me than blue in her artwork. Though she does look more blue in-game.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

They have the same function in gameplay

Which is pretty much the only thing that matters. They are the same class mechanically with the only difference that Azura can fight.

20 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

How does I say no to Ninian?

Fire Emblem community was also where I got the start to my current career as well (software developer) and also rekindled an old flame for pencil-and-paper drawing (I have so many drawings of Ninian from back then).

Honestly speaking, the Fire Emblem community from back in my high school days was what got me to where I am right now. It's really not a stretch at all to say that Ninian is the reason I'm where I am today.

I found my reason to say no sometimes. Haha.

That "she's the reason I am where I am today" statement also applying to me for programming, my YouTube Channel, and learning Japanese...

Which also started in high school... and an... ability... I developed that I regret... all holds its origins to the Nadeshiko Yamato-esque qualities she holds.

High school and the FE community is where my fondest memories of people are... and where my worst embarrassments of me looking back are.

23 minutes ago, Ryu Yuki said:

It makes me quite happy to see so many Ninian fans here. I sort of feared that Azura replaced her in the fandom community due to their many similarities and the fact Azura is way more advertised and recent, but it seems like she still has a place here. I will wish both of you luck at getting Ninian, because she is definitely very worth it. I will do my best to get her as well, as I've been quite the fan since early BS days.

Thanks.

It wasn't a stretch that I thought about hacking an S support system for FE7 with Mark after I played Awakening.

Blazing Sword was not my first, but was my favorite FE before Awakening took me with how fun the system was.

I should really play Rekka no Ken again in Japanese this time.

It's still sitting on my hacked 3DS VC.

Just now, Vaximillian said:

Which is pretty much the only thing that matters. They are the same class mechanically with the only difference that Azura can fight.

Then you can say a lot of characters are similar to each other. There are a lot that have the same gameplay funciton as another like I just said.

Until Azura puts on red contacts, Ninian's red eyes will make her infinitely superior. (Not to mention Ninian's really pretty dress and hime-cut hair, even if Ninian does lose to Azura in hair length.)

I swear I have my priorities straight.

Just now, pianime94 said:

Unless I'm color blind all this time, Ninian has green hair.

Somewhere between blue and green. It varies a bit depending on the particular artwork.

3 minutes ago, pianime94 said:

Unless I'm color blind all this time, Ninian has green hair.

Cyan-ish? Turquoise? Aquamarine? I'm bad at colours (cut a cat some slack) but yeah, she's not very blue.
Not 100% green though, something inbetween.

Edited by Vaximillian

Just now, Anacybele said:

This. It only looks blue in-game. Looks more green in the artwork.

Well it's kind of bluish-green. It looks similar enough, at least from my perspective. But yeah, I can totally see why you'd think otherwise, and that's fine. It's just something I happened to feel, and things like this are very subjective so I won't say my opinion is more valid than yours or anything. I'm just glad Ninian still has supporters here, more than anything.

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Until Azura puts on red contacts, Ninian's red eyes will make her infinitely superior. (Not to mention Ninian's really pretty dress and hime-cut hair, even if Ninian does lose to Azura in hair length.)

You. You there.

Stop being me from 10 years ago.

You were going to say exactly what I was going to say with the Hime-cut and ruby eyes.

*Persona 4 I'll Face Myself music starts playing*

All we need now is a Seiyuu comparison. Aqua's singing and normal voice difference throw me off.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I like Azura's yellow eyes more. Though that's mainly because yellow is one of my favorite colors and I was never a fan of red. That being said, I'm fine with using red on some things sometimes (like my fic's lord character's hair. lol).

6 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Welcome to serene forest! Where all we do is discuss hair and eye color!

And waifus. And husbandos.

Strategery is the thing of the past.

Also that pull rate.

Hey @Ice Dragon

What would you do in my situation with only 132 orbs? Should I just roll on the color Ninian will be for tomorrow and ignore saving orbs from 5 rolls at a time?

As the resident heroes whale here on Serenes, you have a better idea about appearance rates than any of us.

Edited by shadowofchaos

6 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Welcome to serene forest! Where all we do is discuss hair and eye color!

Waifu emblem, etc.

Nothing new to see here, move along folks.

18 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Somewhere between blue and green. It varies a bit depending on the particular artwork.

Yeah, there's just something about her eyes that just makes her feel more exotic. Admittedly I have a thing for Manaketes so maybe that's part of the reason why. But I do feel like the more recent artworks of her *really* sell her good points, such as the Cipher display pic you have there or the one displayed in the latest focus summon. These artworks just really impress me way more than her original one for some reason, even though they don't objectively feel that different. It just really captures her character and theme so well somehow, and now I am pretty much planning on blowing the orbs I was saving for Legend Lucina+Roy (I still totally want them though) even though I normally exercise far more restraint. [ I *almost* went all-out for Julia, even though I really wanted her. But in the end I didn't because I figure I might want the orbs for another more important banner ]

@shadowofchaos I generally do two full rolls before doing controlled color pulls. I got 3 5* Lucina(s) and a Lobster Lord this way with less than 120 orbs. Admittedly if the second full roll is devoid of the color I want or just has 1-2 of it, I might just screw it and start doing controlled pulls from there. Yes I know you didn't ask me but I felt like throwing it out there.

Edited by Ryu Yuki

I just want to say that I think that if any of the starting games in Heroes were gonna get a focus Blazing Sword is the best choice. Elibe in total may have a fair amount of characters, but FE7 just had like 8 until Ursula appeared earlier this week. So that cast has pretty much doubled in the span of a week. Plus this should mean the paralogue actually makes sense and we don't get that awkward Sanaki/Klein deal again.