Echoes Short Dungeon Pax East Videos

6 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Sorry if you already know, but 8-4 was confirmed to be the localization team.

This is weird to me because Palla isn't in Alm's party in the original unless she dies and Alm resurrects her. Do you mean Clair? Her initial design and concept was supposed to be Catria 2.0 I believe.

My fault when I look at the wiki of fire emblem I though Abel said Alm. Oh okay it Clair who is the Oboro/Catria/Cordelia character.

Edited by mikethepokemaster

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Eh, just remembering late 2015/early where I was getting tired of the same ol' complaints about Fates and was lashing out a bit... .

And the series almost always has had some localization issue-- PoR cut Maniac mode and put in easy mode and Radiant Dawn removed an entire alternative script that was used for harder modes and fleshed out the antagonists (while misnaming the difficulties-- normal/hard/maniac became easy/normal/hard). Honestly, I think those were worse than anything in Awakening or Fates, because they directly effected the main gameplay.

For Awakening specifically I'd need to do some refreshing-- Fates mostly soured me on criticizing game localizations. Tales of Hearts R I haven't played, but have read some about, but I have a rant on Azure Striker Gunvolt saved if you're so interested. In general though, I think I'm taking things off-topic a bit.

Could be interesting so I think I could take and read it if you don't mind, though your probably right about the derailing, so it might be better if you pm it to me, or send a link to it if you happen to have it online somewhere.

Spoiler

Y'all want to talk about localization here but y'all don't wanna go over to my localization thread /grumblesgrumbles

I'll admit I'm a little annoyed at people treating localizations like they're the spawn of Satan or something. Go to the thread if you wanna talk more about it please

I liked both Fates and Awakening localization. They're not perfect but there's problems with the Japanese writing too.

Though I loved POR/RD localization (outside of the gameplay shenanigans) more than either of them.

Okay I'm done talking about those four games here.

Personally I think 8-4 will do a fine job localizing this game. I already like some of their changes: for example, "Liberation Army" --> "Deliverance," which makes it not only sound less generic, but adds a nod to the fact that the Mila/Duma conflict is very religious in nature. Also "Pegastym" as a space-saving replacement for "Pegasus Season" is pretty clever and sounds kinda neat. I always liked it when fantasy worlds had different names for months, considering it doesn't make sense that they'd copy ours (which are inspired heavily from Earth people and/or traditions). I mean I know Pegasus itself is Greek but still

I had issues with Awakening and Fates localizations being too memey and "modern colloquial" I guess you could say. But so far I do like what we've seen (and heard) of the script. 

The videos are gorgeous. I'm really getting excited for this game.

4 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I had issues with Awakening and Fates localizations being too memey and "modern colloquial" I guess you could say. But so far I do like what we've seen (and heard) of the script. 

Yeah. I'm not a fan of memes in general, but I could look past a few meme references here and there, but after a while, I feel like they got too over zealous with referencing memes.

I am quite excited for this game, though. Overall presentation looks beautiful.

2 hours ago, Thane said:

It's not leaking; it's from Pax East, isn't it?

Yeah, it's not "leaking". I messed up because English is not my first languange and I'm not always that good, my bad XD

Edited by Pikappa93

In all honesty, every game suffers from some localization problems. There's just no way to avoid that since you're translating a game from Japanese to English and you have to localize it for the intended audience. Whether people like it or not, some things will be lost in the localization process regardless of how faithful it may be to the Japanese version.

3 hours ago, KazeNinja17 said:

If Vic Mignogna is in the game, I can see him being Kamui. Or Gray.

Not sure on Kamui, I would have to listen to what he says in the trailer again to see. Then again, Vic has shown he is capable of quite a few different voices, just between the difference of Ed from FMA and Qrow from RWBY. Could easily be some new voice he is trying out.

3 hours ago, Book Bro said:

3 hours ago, KazeNinja17 said:

Yeah. I'm not a fan of memes in general, but I could look past a few meme references here and there, but after a while, I feel like they got too over zealous with referencing memes.

I am quite excited for this game, though. Overall presentation looks beautiful.

Actually, you really shouldn't blame the localization about memes. When there's a meme in the localized version, most likely there was also a meme in the japanese version as well. Don't think memes are a localization only thing, plenty of games have memes in the japanese version as well.

14 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Not sure on Kamui, I would have to listen to what he says in the trailer again to see. Then again, Vic has shown he is capable of quite a few different voices, just between the difference of Ed from FMA and Qrow from RWBY. Could easily be some new voice he is trying out.

Oh, I wasn't basing it on clips from the trailers or PAX East videos. I was just basing it on past characters that Vic has voiced.

6 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Actually, you really shouldn't blame the localization about memes. When there's a meme in the localized version, most likely there was also a meme in the japanese version as well. Don't think memes are a localization only thing, plenty of games have memes in the japanese version as well.

You do have a point there. I suppose I'm just used to people noticing the memes in the localization version of the games and not also the Japanese version.

3 hours ago, Extrasolar said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Y'all want to talk about localization here but y'all don't wanna go over to my localization thread /grumblesgrumbles

I'll admit I'm a little annoyed at people treating localizations like they're the spawn of Satan or something. Go to the thread if you wanna talk more about it please

I liked both Fates and Awakening localization. They're not perfect but there's problems with the Japanese writing too.

Though I loved POR/RD localization (outside of the gameplay shenanigans) more than either of them.

Okay I'm done talking about those four games here.

Personally I think 8-4 will do a fine job localizing this game. I already like some of their changes: for example, "Liberation Army" --> "Deliverance," which makes it not only sound less generic, but adds a nod to the fact that the Mila/Duma conflict is very religious in nature. Also "Pegastym" as a space-saving replacement for "Pegasus Season" is pretty clever and sounds kinda neat. I always liked it when fantasy worlds had different names for months, considering it doesn't make sense that they'd copy ours (which are inspired heavily from Earth people and/or traditions). I mean I know Pegasus itself is Greek but still

I have to agree here. 8-4 will do just fine. Honestly, outside of the removal of the other outfits from the appearance shop (sure they were just swimwear/underwear but I dont think that was so offensive it needed to be removed) and the Beruka/Saizo support fiasco, I think Treehouse did a fine job with Fates. Skinship needed to be removed. Even if it wasnt that bad in the grand scheme of things, it wouldnt of gone over too well here and would of overall hurt FE's reputation. And the Soleil issue was solved pretty well too. I wasnt too fond of how they particularly remade the support and how much focus there was on the original (especially when her Forrest and Ophelia supports are far worst), but if they left it alone the media shitstorm that would of started over that would of been bad.

For what they were given they did a decent job. I have seen better, but also have seen worst. And in regards to Awakening 8-4 did great over there imo. I am not well versed in what was changed in Awakening after localization, but I didnt find anything too weird or annoying. Even when it came to the memes and silly jokes added (Frederick saying my body is ready got a good laugh out of me).

EDIT:

Exactly. The job of Localization first and foremost is make the game ready for a release to a new audience. This doesnt just mean a translation of the language, but also change in the material including jokes so that they make more sense or fit better with the culture of the new region. Many of the jokes/memes inserted into the games through localization are there because there was a joke/meme from its original region in place of it.

The movie Inside Out has a perfect example of this. In the original US version there is a scene of a small child not wanting to eat the brocoli on his plate. This was changed in the japanese version to peppers, because in Japan they have more of a problem of young children not wanting to eat peppers. It was changed to make more sense to the audience.

Edited by Tolvir

I did looked at that new video that was showing the over world map from Chapter 3 before the player selected Celica to fight the Terrors and Grieth's Army in the Mountain Graveyard. I did spot a few more new localized names on the areas that was shown in the video are:

Alm's route:

• North Gate (the location where Alm exits the Zofia Castle)

Celica's route:

• Zofia Harbor (the same Harbor that you recruited Palla and Catria)

• Mountain Highway (the starting point from Celica on Chapter 3)

• Zofia Coast (the first boss in Celica's route was fought in Chapter 3)

• Temple of Mila (it was mentioned in the Zofia Coast's info)

Edited by King Marth 64

34 minutes ago, Leif said:

Don't know if this was posted yet, but we have footage of Boey counterattacking a Terror. 

....Valbar sounds very familiar, but I can quite figure out why... Boey kind of sounds like Sam Riegel?

I'd have to agree with many when it comes to localization. While I do have my complaints about Fates's localization (shortening Supports and confessions, entirely removing the F!Corrin x Rhajat support, getting rid of ALL swimsuits including the Love Tunic), I do think it is hated on too much. I also don't get why other people hate the voice acting. Apart from Effie and Peri, Hinoka, and Selkie, I found the voice acting in Fates to be pretty good.

Echoes's localization...well, there hasn't been *too* much that's been shown thus far I suppose, but from what I see, I like. The voice acting is pretty good (Mae is amazing~), at least!

I'd consider Awakening to be one of the series' better localizations just because they didn't take it as a chance to screw with everything else. Like messing with the difficulty, or removing miscellaneous features/outfits. I want to say the biggest thing we lost was the Silent Protagonist script, which is probably not as big of a deal as what was removed from Radiant Dawn.

I'm not without qualms about some of the text changes they made, but on the whole most of them still don't bother me as much as Fates's. Meanwhile I'd probably consider Shadow Dragon to be the best localization this series has had, so... if nothing else, I'm more open to 8-4 than I am to Treehouse right now.

One thing I love about all of this in general is that Gaiden fans are finally getting their day. I'm sure that nobody - especially me - thought that we'd ever see anything Gaiden-related anything in the west. I mean, I may know jack all about Gaiden other than a plot summary I read online and the most general of details, but I'm glad so many people are excited about a game they love getting attention.

I'm just gonna bask in the happiness atm. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

One thing I love about all of this in general is that Gaiden fans are finally getting their day. I'm sure that nobody - especially me - thought that we'd ever see anything Gaiden-related anything in the west. I mean, I may know jack all about Gaiden other than a plot summary I read online and the most general of details, but I'm glad so many people are excited about a game they love getting attention.

I'm just gonna bask in the happiness atm. :lol:

I was half-expecting/half-hoping for a dual remake of FE6 and FE7 as a single game, but we got Shadows of Valentia instead. I'm happy since it bodes well for us getting remakes of the remaining three Japan-exclusive games (not counting FE12)

1 hour ago, KazeNinja17 said:

I was half-expecting/half-hoping for a dual remake of FE6 and FE7 as a single game, but we got Shadows of Valentia instead. I'm happy since it bodes well for us getting remakes of the remaining three Japan-exclusive games (not counting FE12)

You know that'd almost certainly never happen-- the absolute best case scenario would be an FE6 remake with FE7 as a DLC campaign a la what Fates did. Money's a thing, and it would be dumb for IS to make Elibe all one game.

Just now, The DanMan said:

You know that'd almost certainly never happen-- the absolute best case scenario would be an FE6 remake with FE7 as a DLC campaign a la what Fates did. Money's a thing, and it would be dumb for IS to make Elibe all one game.

I know that it almost certainly wouldn't happen, which is why it was a half-hope that it would happen.

11 hours ago, The DanMan said:

11 hours ago, KazeNinja17 said:

I know that it almost certainly wouldn't happen, which is why it was a half-hope that it would happen.

Yeah I'd rather Elibe be split up into 2 games still considering how many chapters are in both games, and I'd rather them not cut out any just to fit them both together.

Or they could do the FE3 thing and have book 1 & book 2, but instead of abridging book 1 (like FE3 did), have all the chapters.

Edited by Jedi

8 hours ago, Jedi said:

Yeah I'd rather Elibe be split up into 2 games still considering how many chapters are in both games, and I'd rather them not cut out any just to fit them both together.

Or they could do the FE3 thing and have book 1 & book 2, but instead of abridging book 1 (like FE3 did), have all the chapters.

Yeah. I think I was mostly thinking of them doing something like they did with Fates. Release both FE6 and FE7 remakes at the same time and having a bundle that contained both games. The cost logistics of everything wasn't something I thought about. It was me mostly wanting them released at the same time to avoid one getting a remake and the other not. Doesn't matter now since it's Gaiden that's getting remade right now.