Jedi

Echoes Short Dungeon Pax East Videos

Recommended Posts

Holy shit, actual (sort of kind of) realistic archery animations and physics?!

World-building narration?!

Really smooth, good-looking animations that are a step up from Awakening and Fates animations imo (love how the units run into battle)?!

Alm being fine as hell

Yup. Officially hyped. The voices are pretty good in my opinion, when I previously had reservations about the voice acting, and I really like everyone's portrait. The Greek pottery style of aesthetics is really nice as well.

Can't help but notice we've got a "Kamui" and "Leon" in the group. That's pretty funny from a referential standpoint. :P:

Edited by Extrasolar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Holy shit, actual (sort of kind of) realistic archery animations and physics?!

World-building narration?!

Really smooth, good-looking animations that are a step up from Awakening and Fates animations imo (love how the units run into battle)?!

Alm being fine as hell

Yup. Officially hyped. The voices are pretty good in my opinion, when I previously had reservations about the voice acting, and I really like everyone's portrait. The Greek pottery style of aesthetics is really nice as well.

Can't help but notice we've got a "Kamui" and "Leon" in the group. That's pretty funny from a referential standpoint. :P:

they actually join in the same chapter and funnily enough, leon's name was originally just leo

it must be weirder for the japanese version though, since they'd actually have two kamuis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, unique said:

they actually join in the same chapter and funnily enough, leon's name was originally just leo

it must be weirder for the japanese version though, since they'd actually have two kamuis

Oh dang, I never knew this haha.That's interesting... Strange that they're not changing it something else, considering they already changed the half-dragon Kamui to Corrin...

But wait, they already changed a Leon to Leo in Fates...and now they changed a Leo to Leon? What the hell, lol?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Oh dang, I never knew this haha.That's interesting... Strange that they're not changing it something else, considering they already changed the half-dragon Kamui to Corrin...

But wait, they already changed a Leon to Leo in Fates...and now they changed a Leo to Leon? What the hell, lol?

i think that's why they did it

it's like in the tellius games with ettard and alondite

alondite was originally called ettard, and ettard was originally called alondite

but since they called what was originally ettard alondite, they called what was originally alondite ettard

so since they couldn't have two leos, they changed leo to leon 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My main complaints so far are that girls look like moeblob and the cutscenes look a total shit. But if the stuffs I am hearing about Alm being a ruthless mofo, who show no mercy then he probably will be my next favorite lord after Roy. The game character's designs looking too shounen for my taste, vastly prefer Kozaki. Music is ok, Fates set the OSTs bar a bit too high, won't blame Echoes for that. I hope for an T rating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, unique said:

i think that's why they did it

it's like in the tellius games with ettard and alondite

alondite was originally called ettard, and ettard was originally called alondite

but since they called what was originally ettard alondite, they called what was originally alondite ettard

so since they couldn't have two leos, they changed leo to leon 

Oh, I know why they changed it. It's just kind of funny that they had to do a reverse of what they just did. Of course, they had no idea that Echoes would be coming out, but I'm sure the localization team must've had a laugh about it...or maybe not, considering it's not Treehouse localizing this time. Still, any who knew would laugh about it, I bet. I know I would. But...why does this Kamui get a free pass when the other one didn't? That's what I want to know. :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@VincentASM Hey I've also noticed in some of the gameplay videos that auto end doesn't seem to be there anymore

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Oh, I know why they changed it. It's just kind of funny that they had to do a reverse of what they just did. Of course, they had no idea that Echoes would be coming out, but I'm sure the localization team must've had a laugh about it...or maybe not, considering it's not Treehouse localizing this time. Still, any who knew would laugh about it, I bet. I know I would. But...why does this Kamui get a free pass when the other one didn't? That's what I want to know. :blink:

Let's not forget that Faye's Japanese name is Effie, which is the English name of Elfie. It might be Intelligent Systems having some fun with NoA's Treehouse as VincentASM suggested in his analysis of the GameSpot preview photos. One thing I have noticed is that Gaiden's Robin is now Tobin so it doesn't clash with Awakening's Robin for the English version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Prince of Iris said:

It wasn't known, but this post made me reach out to John Ricciardi of 8-4 today on Twitter to ask if they were involved, and he confirmed to me that they were.

So unlike Fates which was only handled by Nintendo Treehouse, it appears that 8-4 will be handling the English localization and will probably be supervised by Nintendo Treehouse still, like with Shadow Dragon and Awakening previously.

This may actually bode well for Echoes, as I think that both of the games localized by them have been made fairly well.

I don't know why, but the battle animations and camera movement in combat for some reason reminds me of a blend of Radiant Dawn and Awakening, in my opininon for the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at Leon being all sexy with THAT RANGE. Wow I'm afraid for my pegasus knights since archers are actually a force to be reckoned with in this game compared to others.

And from the looks of it, Mae sounds like a troublemaker so she's a mainstay for me. Plus she's a great unit anyways.

I'm really loving Hidari's art. Someone said it's a tad moe, and I can see that, but the soft color choices are really pleasing to my eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

Look at Leon being all sexy with THAT RANGE. Wow I'm afraid for my pegasus knights since archers are actually a force to be reckoned with in this game compared to others.

And from the looks of it, Mae sounds like a troublemaker so she's a mainstay for me. Plus she's a great unit anyways.

I'm really loving Hidari's art. Someone said it's a tad moe, and I can see that, but the soft color choices are really pleasing to my eyes.

It might be the soft color palette that causes some people to see it as moe. To me, it evokes the style of past Fire Emblem games and it gives off a sense of nostalgia, which fits for it being a remake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KazeNinja17 said:

It might be the soft color palette that causes some people to see it as moe. To me, it evokes the style of past Fire Emblem games and it gives off a sense of nostalgia, which fits for it being a remake.

Yeah it looks like a cleaner version of FE4's artstyle. Genny reminds me a lot of Lana and Kamui reminds me a lot of Asaello.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dandy Druid said:

Yeah it looks like a cleaner version of FE4's artstyle. Genny reminds me a lot of Lana and Kamui reminds me a lot of Asaello.

It also reminds me of the art styles of FE6, FE7, and FE8 with the way the characters are drawn and colored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KazeNinja17 said:

It also reminds me of the art styles of FE6, FE7, and FE8 with the way the characters are drawn and colored.

Yeah. I definitely see that. It just made me realize how much I missed the old art style of the series. I like Kozaki, but this is nostalgic for me. I love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Echoes artstyle doesn't really remind me very much of any old game, if I'm being honest, but I don't really mind that at all. I'm glad that my Gaidenbros are getting re-imagined in a new artstyle that's pretty distinct from older games. This style feels pretty warm and soft to me, which is a nice contrast from the kinda stark designs employed by the other 3DS games.

As for auto-end, perhaps it's just off by default now? That seems like it'd be a really stupid thing to remove. It doesn't bother me very much since I loved the original game, but it's still something I'd almost always prefer to enable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it does seem kind of silly to remove auto-end entirely when it's been a good quality of life feature that should always be there. Hopefully it not being present is just a default and can be turned on if desired, that would make sense to me since the original Gaiden, as with other older Fire Emblem games, didn't have auto-end, and the default would be appropriate for Echoes's retro aesthetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

The direct already confirmed no dual audio. Whether or not 8-4 is involved has no bearing on that.

 

8 hours ago, KazeNinja17 said:

Sadly, dual audio is confirmed not to be happening, but that can be expected given that this game is FULLY voiced and it's a Nintendo 3DS game. There's only so much space on the Nintendo 3DS cartridges.

Wait it was confirmed? When and where? I do know that the UK direct video it said only in English Voices. I took it as UK direct is directed to the Europe audience and thus telling us out the  gate that there will be no Spanish/German/French voices in the game. Considering these countries loves to dub everything, not whenever dual audio is actually in the game or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mikethepokemaster said:

So Alm has a mini harem since in the original Palla had a thing for him, so she was the token fly girl who can't get the MC because of reasons. Seem like Fyae might be the childhood who won't get the MC because Alm is already in love with Celica. Visual look great and the voice acting on point. I am going to miss Avatar units but I guess it for best.

Uh... wasn't Palla's unrequited crush Abel?

9 hours ago, s07195 said:

....Seriously?

People there are already jumping through hoops trying to explain "seriously S-supports are still in". More stupidity of the nature would be expected.

11 hours ago, Prince of Iris said:

It wasn't known, but this post made me reach out to John Ricciardi of 8-4 today on Twitter to ask if they were involved, and he confirmed to me that they were.

So unlike Fates which was only handled by Nintendo Treehouse, it appears that 8-4 will be handling the English localization and will probably be supervised by Nintendo Treehouse still, like with Shadow Dragon and Awakening previously.

...Great. Just freakin' great.
SD was good, but Awakening's was worse than Fates. 8-4 in general seems to be crap unless they're watched like a hawk (first Gunvolt game: ugh, second Gunvolt game: actually pretty good)-- in which case Nintendo may as well localize it themselves.
The biggest pro that could come out of this is that people retroactively realize their sacred cow's localization was as bad/worse than Fates.

11 hours ago, Leif said:

YES. YES!! This bodes extremely well for Echoes. Man, this made my day. I believe Treehouse did a rather subpar job with Fates's localization. Even though I really dislike Awakening, I found the dialogue to be well written. The plot, characters and story was a complete nightmare, but some of the supports were very nicely written. 

Actually, 8-4 almost entirely changed Awakening's tone. It took itself seriously in Japanese, while English some have compared to almost edging towards self parody. And there's things like the story of Naesela and Leanne getting doctored out of Donnel and Olivia's supports for a generic swan princess story, Chrom and Sumia's supports becoming incredibly pie-centric for no reason, random current references (in Laruent/Severa, at one point Laurent asks what's in her pocket-- he did nothing of the sort in the Japanese version, with the likely case being somebody had The Hobbit on their mind due to the first movie coming out during localization), Henry's everything, Walhart's Morgan support... . In general, I've seen estimates that about 1/3 of the game was entirely re-written-- there are entire passages and supports that bear almost no resemblance to the original version. Fates had things here and there, but they overall pale in comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

 

People there are already jumping through hoops trying to explain "seriously S-supports are still in". More stupidity of the nature would be expected.

My morbid curiosity demands that I ask, where do you see people claiming that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Chrom and Sumia's supports becoming incredibly pie-centric for no reason

What? I didn't read it in thorough detail, but their supports are almost exactly the same from what I can tell - the only difference is that Sumia makes boxed lunches in the Japanese version, and some lines in the English S support has pie jokes. That's about it. It's a minor change in the S support for sure, but it's not like the entire support chain was rewritten completely.

Quote

In general, I've seen estimates that about 1/3 of the game was entirely re-written-- there are entire passages and supports that bear almost no resemblance to the original version. Fates had things here and there, but they overall pale in 

I'd like to see this for myself, if you've got any links. Are these from the same wonderful people who think Awakening is the literal spawn of satan and that every single writing issue with Fates came from the localization?

Edited by Thane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

My morbid curiosity demands that I ask, where do you see people claiming that?

Gamefaqs-- where else?

15 minutes ago, Thane said:

What? I didn't read it in thorough detail, but their supports are almost exactly the same from what I can tell - the only difference is that Sumia makes boxed lunches in the Japanese version, and Chrom and Sumia's very last lines in the S supports being pie jokes. That's about it.

I'd like to see this for myself, if you've got any links. Are these from the same wonderful people who think Awakening is the literal spawn of satan and that every single writing issue with Fates came from the localization?

For the former, from someone who himself is studying Japanese:
http://bigklingy.tumblr.com/post/158180983390/shadowofchaos725-berret-snowbear#notes

Quote

A Support: Sumia did not cook “a big pie for them both to share”, originally. She just generically said “I made lunch”. The whole part about what she likes about being a soldier was heavily altered. In the Japanese version, she explains that she fights to protect the people she cares about. In the English version, she says she likes looking after the pegasi and braiding their hair. It also specifically says she likes grooming horses MORE that being on the battlefield. Japanese Sumia did not have this implication.

S Support: Here’s where the localization went off the rails and started making up their own script. The English version is mostly the same basic idea right up until the first mention of pies/bento. In the Japanese version, ALL MENTION OF COOKING STOPPED THERE, and the rest of the support was serious

As for the "1/3 of the text was re-written", it comes from one of his (bigklingy's) videos (I forget exactly which-- I can't trawl through his entire Awakening playthrough) and also from Amielleon/FEAccordingToJapan (once again, digging through tumblr and dreamwave to find one specific quote isn't easy). Both of them like Awakening and both of them have displayed pretty good knowledge of the Japanese language.

Edited by The DanMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

For the former, from someone who himself is studying Japanese:
http://bigklingy.tumblr.com/post/158180983390/shadowofchaos725-berret-snowbear#notes

As for the "1/3 of the text was re-written", it comes from one of his (bigklingy's) videos (I forget exactly which-- I can't trawl through his entire Awakening playthrough) and also from Amielleon/FEAccordingToJapan (once again, digging through tumblr and dreamwave to find one specific quote isn't easy). Both of them like Awakening and both of them have displayed pretty good knowledge of the Japanese language.

Thanks, best buddy. I'll have a look when I have some more free time in way too many hours.

Please save me from my own life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thane said:

Thanks, best buddy. I'll have a look when I have some more free time in way too many hours.

Please save me from my own life.

Best buddy? Welp, if that isn't a sign of coming a long way...
8-4 in general has a mixed track record-- you can find oodles of stuff on Tales of Hearts R and the first Gunvolt game (which actually received a re-translation due to fan backlash). But they were also pretty good on Shadow Dragon and the second Gunvolt game. It really largely depends on whether or not you let them loose-- hopefully we get SD and not Awakening here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

...Great. Just freakin' great.

SD was good, but Awakening's was worse than Fates. 8-4 in general seems to be crap unless they're watched like a hawk (first Gunvolt game: ugh, second Gunvolt game: actually pretty good)-- in which case Nintendo may as well localize it themselves.
The biggest pro that could come out of this is that people retroactively realize their sacred cow's localization was as bad/worse than Fates.

Actually, 8-4 almost entirely changed Awakening's tone. It took itself seriously in Japanese, while English some have compared to almost edging towards self parody. And there's things like the story of Naesela and Leanne getting doctored out of Donnel and Olivia's supports for a generic swan princess story, Chrom and Sumia's supports becoming incredibly pie-centric for no reason, random current references (in Laruent/Severa, at one point Laurent asks what's in her pocket-- he did nothing of the sort in the Japanese version, with the likely case being somebody had The Hobbit on their mind due to the first movie coming out during localization), Henry's everything, Walhart's Morgan support... . In general, I've seen estimates that about 1/3 of the game was entirely re-written-- there are entire passages and supports that bear almost no resemblance to the original version. Fates had things here and there, but they overall pale in comparison.

Could you elaborate more on this?

I mostly curious because I have little experince with their work on localization outside of FE, since I think shadow dragon was well localized and the main story of awakening I thought they did well enough, not necessarily disagreeing with what you criticise about the support conversations since I think there are those in awakeing that could have been done better.

Again I draw a lot of assumptions about them due to my limited experince with their work, I have seen a lot of people elsewhere complaining about them, and am slightly curious where it comes from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.