Why does this game feel like more of a headache than an actual good time?

Vaikanfu

Am I the only one who can't stand how unbalanced this game feels? Or how some skills just break everything? Or how the draws feel like they're purposefully giving you stuff you don't want? I haven't given the option to draw a green unit in probably a month.

First - Maybe, but that's gacha. And there is no characters who can't be countered (except maybe Takumi, but even he has his M!Robin/Kagero/Hector).

Second - Which skills break anything? Counters are the only things on top of my mind.

Third - I feel your pain. Maybe more, after having THREE summons full of nothing but 3-stars.

Fourth - Anna is not the worst choice out there xD. And getting her to 4-star is not as expensive, not to mention you SHOULD have at least some feathers right now)

1 minute ago, Kruggov said:

First - Maybe, but that's gacha. And there is no characters who can't be countered (except maybe Takumi, but even he has his M!Robin/Kagero/Hector).

Second - Which skills break anything? Counters are the only things on top of my mind.

Third - I feel your pain. Maybe more, after having THREE summons full of nothing but 3-stars.

Fourth - Anna is not the worst choice out there xD. And getting her to 4-star is not as expensive, not to mention you SHOULD have at least some feathers right now)

I feel bad for the guys who have put in actual money into getting what they want, with no results. 

Skills just complicate things more than they really need to for me. 

It's just really disheartening when people who aren't even familiar with the characters are getting units they aren't familiar with or don't want, yet you actually need a certain kind of unit to take on the lunatic maps, you just get trash you either have or don't want. I have literally pulled three Barsts in one day, and got two Odins just now. I like Barst, but I cannot stand Odin. 

I'm getting to the point where I might just train up the original characters and forget about summoning.

Just now, Vaikanfu said:

I feel bad for the guys who have put in actual money into getting what they want, with no results. 

Skills just complicate things more than they really need to for me. 

It's just really disheartening when people who aren't even familiar with the characters are getting units they aren't familiar with or don't want, yet you actually need a certain kind of unit to take on the lunatic maps, you just get trash you either have or don't want. I have literally pulled three Barsts in one day, and got two Odins just now. I like Barst, but I cannot stand Odin. 

I'm getting to the point where I might just train up the original characters and forget about summoning.

1: Well I didn't))) And it's all good.

2: It's Fire Emblem, It's complicated by default. Main series is even worse in that regard, thanks to AnnaRNGoddess.

3: So far "Certain units required" is pretty much limited to GHB's. Though it sure sucks even there - I couldn't beat Ursula's Lunatic GHB because my only good 2-range was Linde and she was getting OHKOd by those fkin Poison Dagger thieves, while F!Robin proved herself unwilling to cooperate. Also I have 7 Gwendolyns. That's something.

4: Sharena is A+ in tier lists for a reason))) So yeah, training her and Anna up is a good idea. Alfonse is meh, but getting Quick Riposte on him through inheritance might save him from the meh heap)

I like the randomness of the actual games to a degree, but skills add more to that randomness, and I just feel they're unnecessary.

I honestly might as well, since I've pretty much given up all hope of getting Hector, Camilla or Minerva.

12 minutes ago, Kruggov said:

1: Well I didn't))) And it's all good.

2: It's Fire Emblem, It's complicated by default. Main series is even worse in that regard, thanks to AnnaRNGoddess.

3: So far "Certain units required" is pretty much limited to GHB's. Though it sure sucks even there - I couldn't beat Ursula's Lunatic GHB because my only good 2-range was Linde and she was getting OHKOd by those fkin Poison Dagger thieves, while F!Robin proved herself unwilling to cooperate. Also I have 7 Gwendolyns. That's something.

4: Sharena is A+ in tier lists for a reason))) So yeah, training her and Anna up is a good idea. Alfonse is meh, but getting Quick Riposte on him through inheritance might save him from the meh heap)

For point 3, there is a video of someone completing Lunatic for Ursula using only units that were obtained for free and trained up, so even they aren't necessary there.

3 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

For point 3, there is a video of someone completing Lunatic for Ursula using only units that were obtained for free and trained up, so even they aren't necessary there.

Ok, I'm not that good( It seems me neglecting having strong 2-range comes to bite me in the ass.

5 minutes ago, Vaikanfu said:

I honestly might as well, since I've pretty much given up all hope of getting Hector, Camilla or Minerva.

1. You have 3 Barst.
2. you like Barst.
3. Barst is your comgrade, Ogma.
Then you don't need to pull Hector or those boobies. Just ẹnoy your favorite char.

Just kidding.

6 hours ago, Kruggov said:

Ok, I'm not that good( It seems me neglecting having strong 2-range comes to bite me in the ass.

You don't have to be "that good". The free units have no stat deviations and are available to all players, and there is no randomness in the game's combat mechanics. If you can put the time in to get them to 3 stars and a high enough level, you can use the exact same moves to replicate the strategy.

The only thing you have to be good at is strategizing though the training tower to get those characters to that level.

6 hours ago, Kruggov said:

There is nothing in this game that cannot be properly countered, given that you have the tools to counter them. Nothing is broken to the point of centralization of the meta. The training tower's absurd skill sets are definitely absurd, but they can be dealt with by reading the enemy skill sets beforehand so you aren't taken by surprise and having a decent team composition (considering you can at least preview the enemy weapon types before entering).

Close Counter and Distant Counter are good, but are hardly broken. They simply serve to limit options of engaging that particular unit. All it means is you can't use frail ranged units to chip at Hector, Tiki, Nowi, or Ryoma and you can't use frail melee units to chip at Takumi.

6 hours ago, Vaikanfu said:

I like the randomness of the actual games to a degree, but skills add more to that randomness, and I just feel they're unnecessary.

The skills in this game aren't random. In fact, while there's a ton of randomness about which characters you have and which ones you face, the combat itself in Heroes is far less random than in any traditional FE game. And while the game does have its issues, personally, I'd say the combat also works out to being a lot better than that of most traditional FE games.

Edited by Othin

This game falls into the category of "Make everything broken so the broken things can beat the other broken things".  I think it works fairly well.  It is all about counters though.  Having a unit with good skills/stats means nothing - they need to be able to counter everything and not get countered.

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

You don't have to be "that good". The free units have no stat deviations and are available to all players, and there is no randomness in the game's combat mechanics. If you can put the time in to get them to 3 stars and a high enough level, you can use the exact same moves to replicate the strategy.

What I meant is that i'm not that patient. :(

10 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

There is nothing in this game that cannot be properly countered, given that you have the tools to counter them. Nothing is broken to the point of centralization of the meta. The training tower's absurd skill sets are definitely absurd, but they can be dealt with by reading the enemy skill sets beforehand so you aren't taken by surprise and having a decent team composition (considering you can at least preview the enemy weapon types before entering).

As I said - everyone can be countered. Takumi just gets an honorable mention because the amount of units that can reliably counter him is pretty small.

Unless it's fkin armor out of nowhere. THAT is annoying, esp if your mage is either absent, is under WTD, or has low attack in general, like Robins or Raigh. And the worst par, you can't anticipate them until you start.

Just now, Lushen said:

Having a unit with good skills/stats means nothing - they need to be able to counter everything and not get countered.

Having good stats actually does mean something, otherwise leverls would've been useless xD. Sure it's second to having a counter to things, but sometimes it is possible to just bruteforce with higher stats and/or better strategy. Even say, dragon team vs Julia can win if they pile on her first. Exceptions are TAs and gem weapon users - if your remaining units WTD against them, you might as well surrender)