10 hours ago, AzureSen said:

Still, at least all the character designs look pretty great! I'm really looking forward to seeing them in better scans, and I'm pretty interested to see where they go with Berkut, and how

Hide contents

his being Alm's cousin, if I'm understanding the article correctly

will play into the story.

Since that new Black Paladin character is the nephew of the Rigelian Empire and Alm's cousin, I wondered if Rudolf really did had a brother or a sister since Rudolf is the Emperor of Rigel before Alm defeated him and became the Exalted King after Duma's defeat?

10 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Does anyone know who was the other guy that was talking to the new Black Paladin character, was it one of the Gaiden bosses or is it a brand new character? I did went to that website and the quality of the image is really hard to see and the JPEG format is really bad in the close up to see what he looks like? (I think he looks a lot like a Knight, Baron, or Gold Knight in the purplish looking armor and I am not completely sure that's Desaix or not?)

Berkut is a new character I believe. I don't remember him in the original. His full character artwork was revealed when they announced the game. Here's the link because I'm having difficulty uploading pictures.

Berkut is definitely new. There was some speculation that he might have been a redesign of an old boss, but there's nobody in Gaiden named Berkut, so that's probably not the case.

It isn't strictly impossible that he's replacing one of the relatively generic old bosses, like, I dunno, Slayder or Lawson, but I doubt it. This game seems surprisingly loyal, which pleases me if nobody else.

21 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Maybe Faye will be more like Catria instead of Cordelia. If that ends up being the case, then she won't be so bad.

Or she can be Oboro and be amazing. Or her feelings for Alm are strictly platonic.

I must admit I expected her to be more relevant to the other villagers, but maybe they're all a merry band of friends. 

7 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

Berkut is a new character I believe. I don't remember him in the original. His full character artwork was revealed when they announced the game. Here's the link because I'm having difficulty uploading pictures.

I was talking about the other character that the new Black Paladin character that was talking too that have the purple looking armor that it's possible to be Desaix in the scan. I already know he wasn't in the original game.

Edited by King Marth 64

1 hour ago, King Marth 64 said:

I was talking about the other character that the new Black Paladin character that was talking too that have the purple looking armor that it's possible to be Desaix in the scan. I already know he wasn't in the original game.

I just reread your initial post on this thread and I see my mistake. I'm sorry.

As someone who can't read Japanese, all I can tell is that the Priest class (or whatever female Mages promote to) has different base stats than Gaiden, as Mae should not be going to 32 HP and 8 Skill on promotion. In the original game the promoted female Mage and Celica's initial class were the same, so perhaps they're separated now.

5 hours ago, Calico said:

Japanese Nintendo now has full scans here.

Ok, I can see the quality way better. I do see that Purple Knight extremely looks alot like Desaix since he still have his beard and mustache in that portrait. I do see more nice CG images of Alm, Celica in the boat (probably from Chapter 2), and Celica meets Saber at the bar thats where he gets recruited in the original game.

It's hard to see in those scans, but the text box for Desaix in that screencap of him talking to Berkut gives the kata for his Japanese name, Dozer/ドゼー. It's 100% him. It looks like they decided to give him a beard like he had in the Gaiden manga.

Edited by AzureSen

Don't like that they kept female mages promoting to priestesses. It makes Celica less unique unless, she gets some sort of "Princess" class when she promotes. 

I really hope that the "non-Celica" priestesses at least get a different map sprite.

I hope that male Sages don't have ridiculous robes, because Tellius and Judgral were the only Fire Emblem games that had decent looking sages. 

2 minutes ago, Leif said:

Don't like that they kept female mages promoting to priestesses. It makes Celica less unique unless, she gets some sort of "Princess" class when she promotes. 

I really hope that the "non-Celica" priestesses at least get a different map sprite.

I hope that male Sages don't have ridiculous robes, because Tellius and Judgral were the only Fire Emblem games that had decent looking sages. 

Yeah. It also peeved me off that female Mages promoted into Priestess, but at least their design doesn't look like Celica's, unlike in the original where their map and battle sprite were exact copies, even when Celica promotes to Princess.

Speaking of which I hope Celica gets more than just a tiara when she promotes and Alm gets more than just removing his headband.

4 minutes ago, Leif said:

It makes Celica less unique unless, she gets some sort of "Princess" class when she promotes. 

e7d7848cf4.png

Princess is pretty close to Queen, in terms of uniqueness.

10 minutes ago, Elieson said:

e7d7848cf4.png

Princess is pretty close to Queen, in terms of uniqueness.

I should have written "aesthetic uniqueness". It bothered me that a promoted Celica looked identical to a promoted Mae when I played Gaiden. I just hope her Princess promotion class will distinguish her from her fellow priestesses. The (possible) multiple Nohr Princes and Princesses in Fates bothered me too because it made Corrin less unique. 

Edited by Leif

1 hour ago, Leif said:

Elibe's Sages were good too, especially the females. 

1 hour ago, Leif said:

I find Awakening had some pretty shoddy class designs (the Cavaliers and Warriors stick out), but there was nothing wrong with the Sages, was there? A bit on the bulky side perhaps but definitely not ridiculous. At the very least though Lissa had a great Sage design.

2 hours ago, Thane said:

I find Awakening had some pretty shoddy class designs (the Cavaliers and Warriors stick out), but there was nothing wrong with the Sages, was there? A bit on the bulky side perhaps but definitely not ridiculous. At the very least though Lissa had a great Sage design.

The sages looked distractingly bulky. I heavily avoided the class for it. 

My problem with the mages in Awakening is that all the playable ones had that ridiculously large wizard hat grafted to their head model. A wizard hat is fine, but the ones in Awakening were huge.

Notably absent from the class list are Pegasus Knights. We've seen them in videos, of course, but not in this early class run down, which is odd. While I wasn't expecting it, but I kind of was hoping for a non-bulky alternative to the Knight, but that's mainly because aesthetically I don't want a bulky Lukas. I also wonder how Gryphon Riders will factor into this game (we know they're in since they appeared on the mural in the first trailer). Perhaps a male flyer?

50 minutes ago, Pete-of-the-Forge said:

I also wonder how Gryphon Riders will factor into this game (we know they're in since they appeared on the mural in the first trailer).

A mural. A piece of artwork. We've seen nothing suggesting their presence in actual gameplay.

So. Duma, Judah, Desaix and Zeke are the Medeus, Gharnef, Jiol and Camus (ayy) of this game respectively. And I would have said that Rudolf is the Hardin but Rudolf actually came first.

So my point is this. Is Berkut going to be the Michalis of this game? Because it sure seems like it to me.

24 minutes ago, RedEyedDrake said:

So. Duma, Judah, Desaix and Zeke are the Medeus, Gharnef, Jiol and Camus (ayy) of this game respectively. And I would have said that Rudolf is the Hardin but Rudolf actually came first.

So my point is this. Is Berkut going to be the Michalis of this game? Because it sure seems like it to me.

Berkut's almost certainly going to be a rival/foil to Alm-- us seeing his art so early on makes me think he'll definitely be important.

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

A mural. A piece of artwork. We've seen nothing suggesting their presence in actual gameplay.

People are using that mural to theorize the true nature of Mila and Duma though, so I don't think it can be ruled out COMPLETELY.

It'd be cool to see Griffons return, even if they weren't a class before. Better than having a million potential Peg Knights (Whitewings+Clair, and apparently Faye can become one?).

Can't be confirmed, but it can't be ruled out completely just yet.

On 3/16/2017 at 8:28 AM, The DanMan said:

I'm not completely ruling them out. They went to the effort of showing them after being absent in Fates, so they might be involved in some way. Isn't the reason why we have Falcoknights because there are no wyverns in Valentia? They could use that logic and do something like having griffons native to Valentia but later brought over to Archanaea and that's why they're in Ylisse to help connect this game to Awakening.

But you're probably right. Shadows of Valentia seems like a very faithful remake Still, I found the class an interesting addition in Awakening and felt they were underrepresented, so any sign that they aren't just a one-and-done thing is good news to me.