Story, plot and paralgoue discussion (spoilers beware)

Skala_Bundet

I wasn't able to find an explicit discussion thread for FEHeroes story. Therefore the purpose of this thread is to discuss FEHeroes main plot as well as nuances in the chapters, paralogues and other worldly missions as well as character development and such. I hope the spoiler in the topic, will be enough to make people aware, that there might be spoilers here.

Excuse the double posting, but I wanted to keep the opening post separate from following discussions. Admins... please reprimand and/or correct if my decision was bad.

I have to admit, I found the initial story quite boring and bland, but the xenologue and blazing shadows has made the story come to life for me. Veronica is an innocent and being controlled. The masked man is finally introduced as Bruno (well, almost). Zacharias is alive. Who's pulling the strings? Worlds come together.

I also liked the character dialogues Raven, Lucius, Karen, Jaffar and Nino had to offer. Yeah, more characters playing their part (or not caring at all :D:)

Just now, JJ48 said:

I don't think the masked man is Bruno.  I know it's rather setting up that possibility, but I don't think the character he's shown really fits with how Bruno is described.

The Masked Man's name in the datamine is Bruno.

I really felt a brotherly vibe from Mask in the Xenologue towards Veronica, so that makes sense. I just hope they don't make him into the bad guy / sacrificial lamb and that both he and Veronica join at some point...

@Vaximillian

I said that to my friend. He had another theory. He reckons it's a red herring and that Zac and Mask are separate, but it's Zac that's the baddie, not Mask, and he's trying to cast doubt on Mask.

Edited by Cute Chao

People are here feeling sorry for Veronica, but I can't get over the whole "if you don't comply with my demands, Ephraim, I'll force you to kill Eirika" thing. Like...wow. Cold.

I actually do like the concept of the story a lot - though I wish the original 3 characters had more to do. Alfonse and Sharena are interesting, especially Alfonse's hesitation to get close to people because he had heroes leave on him when he was friends with them.

I just wish we got more people from the Order of Heroes itself, other than the main trio. I know they've said they're going to introduce more original characters at some point, but I hope they give us maybe a little more background on how or why the order itself was founded.

1 minute ago, Extrasolar said:

I just wish we got more people from the Order of Heroes itself, other than the main trio. I know they've said they're going to introduce more original characters at some point, but I hope they give us maybe a little more background on how or why the order itself was founded.

Yeah, this. I like the story enough, but the one thing that's bothered me is why Askr had to form the Order of Heroes at all. Why don't they have an army of their own like Embla does? Was it obliterated pretty badly beforehand?

Whether or not Zacharias and Bruno/Mask Guy are one in the same, I think we can all agree that they do share a connection of some kind.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, this. I like the story enough, but the one thing that's bothered me is why Askr had to form the Order of Heroes at all. Why don't they have an army of their own like Embla does? Was it obliterated pretty badly beforehand?

That would actually be a really interesting angle to go, imo. We do never get an explanation for if Askr has a standing army, which if they depend on summoning heroes, they appear not to. Sounds like a bad plan, lol.

Wait, who was responsible for summoning the starting characters like Matthew and Sophia and such before Kiran got pulled into Askr? I don't remember them saying that they had another summoner before Kiran, or did they?

Maybe if we ever see the King of Queen of Askr we can find out more about the kingdom itself. I know Alfonse says that lots of people in the kingdom don't like the fact that he's a member of the Order of Heroes, so I wonder what that's all about,

@Extrasolar

It depends on how much of that is her and how much is how much she is being controlled, I reckon.

I wouldn't say I feel sorry for her, though, not with lines like that. Honestly, I just want Mask as a unit, but I know others want Veronica and I'd never say no to free units ^.^

10 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I really felt a brotherly vibe from Mask in the Xenologue towards Veronica, so that makes sense. I just hope they don't make him into the bad guy / sacrificial lamb and that both he and Veronica join at some point...

@Vaximillian

I said that to my friend. He had another theory. He reckons it's a red herring and that Zac and Mask are separate, but it's Zac that's the baddie, not Mask, and he's trying to cast doubt on Mask.

Now that's an interesting thought.  I'm pretty sure Bruno's not a bad guy, if for no other reason than because he's so clearly being set up as one.  The idea of, "masked guy shows up supporting the villainess, and then we discover she's being manipulated, so masked guy must be the manipulator!" is rather simplistic, straightforward storytelling.  This story, while not necessarily as deep as some of the stories in the series, doesn't necessarily seem that simplistic.

The idea that Zac is really the villain would fit with that, as would the idea that Zac is himself being manipulated by a yet unrevealed villain.  (Don't FE games usually have 14-15 layers of puppets behind puppets behind puppets etc...before we get to the real power behind it all?)

1 minute ago, JJ48 said:

Now that's an interesting thought.  I'm pretty sure Bruno's not a bad guy, if for no other reason than because he's so clearly being set up as one.  The idea of, "masked guy shows up supporting the villainess, and then we discover she's being manipulated, so masked guy must be the manipulator!" is rather simplistic, straightforward storytelling.  This story, while not necessarily as deep as some of the stories in the series, doesn't necessarily seem that simplistic.

The idea that Zac is really the villain would fit with that, as would the idea that Zac is himself being manipulated by a yet unrevealed villain.  (Don't FE games usually have 14-15 layers of puppets behind puppets behind puppets etc...before we get to the real power behind it all?)

I agree. Mask seems far too sympathetic, too. I mean, his dialogue when he's not with her and just for the player's benefit would be stupid if it turns round and goes LOLZ - He's the bad guy really!!!

Ooooh... I do like the idea of that. Plus, as a mobile game, they need to have a story that can keep branching. They did also say they would add more characters, so maybe Zac is one they will add if he doesn't turn out to be Mask.

4 hours ago, Cute Chao said:

I'm hoping that it turns out to be something along these lines, as it would be a little dull if they just made the ambiguous and semi-shady underling the true villain (again).

It might also explain why they haven't named the Masked Man yet, as it is possible we are supposed to assume he's Zacharias, in order to throw us even further off the scent.

@Ryuke The story arc? Maybe. But Heroes will have plenty of other stories to tell, I'm sure.

My initial belief regarding the Masked Man (Bruno) is Zacharias. My reasonings for this come from the original Main Story (Chapters 1-9).

1. The Masked Man is not necessarily hostile towards the Order of Heroes. They do fight each other, but there is no real hatred in his actions.
2. The Masked Man directs Alfonse and company to Veronica after 9-4 has been completed, which is an "act against Veronica" even though he is on her side.
3. The Masked Man tells Alfonse not to look for Zacharias. This happens after 9-5 is completed.

However, recent developments have put doubt on this claim. These are found in the Paralogues and Xenologues.

1. Apparently there is another prince of Emblian Empire who is rarely seen. This "prince" may be the Masked Man due to his behavior with Veronica.
2. The Emblian Empire has a cursed bloodline, and the Masked Man is searching for something.
3. The Masked Man does not seem to know who he really is.
4. Alfonse receives a letter from Zacharais telling him Bruno (datamined to be the Masked Man) is the bad guy. Thing is, we never see Zacharais, but we did see the Masked Man looking for stuff earlier in the Xenologue chapter arc.

- - - - -

Now, I really don't know. A part of me wants to say they are separate people due to Zacharias' letter, but it may still be possible "Bruno" and "Zacharias" may be different personalities in the same body (Masked Man).

As it stands, it looks like the Masked Man is an alright guy, looking after Veronica (who is actually being influenced to be violent). We do not have sufficient information to really determine what is going on, but if I was to take a wild guess, I want to say Bruno is the good guy while Zacharias is the bad guy.

One thing against the Masked Man being Zacharias is that we're told Zacharias taught Sharena how to use a spear but the Masked Man uses tomes.  The main thing against him being Bruno is that he and Veronica look nothing alike.  They have similar hair I guess, but their skin tones are completely different.

19 minutes ago, pumpkinspice48 said:

One thing against the Masked Man being Zacharias is that we're told Zacharias taught Sharena how to use a spear but the Masked Man uses tomes.  The main thing against him being Bruno is that he and Veronica look nothing alike.  They have similar hair I guess, but their skin tones are completely different.

You can be related to someone with a different skin tone. My grandma was way tanner than either my mom or I.

There's also the fact that it would be easy for someone to claim to be Zacharias when they gave a letter to Nino. What's to prove it was really him?

Edited by salinea

I curious why the mask man said that Alfonse wouldn't see Zacharias ever again, but then letters from Zacharias arrive. Nino, why can't you remember his appearance and describe him to us :>_<:. I'll agree with pumkinspice48 that the masked man being a tome user and Zacharias a lance user is an issue (otherwise we're introduced to fire emblems first spear wielding mage knight :D: ). Maybe Zacharias and the masked man are relatives... but Zacharias was said to have come from a different world (what world?...).

I'm curious why IS chose Nino to be Zacharias' messenger... I guess more to come with more prologues (seeing so many characters around, you really want more character interaction :wub:. Imagine the possible dialogues in our mixed up armies)

3 hours ago, pumpkinspice48 said:

Ephraim taught Eirika how to use swords but he just uses spears.  And skin tone isn't much to go by in Fire Emblem.  Nina is super pale while Niles is tan.  Maybe the Masked Man just spent a lot of time in the sun.

Or they could be half-siblings.

I'm hoping this paralogue is suggesting that we'll get more of the main story soon.

Also, regarding Zacharias taught Sharena how to wield lances...

1. Lances are Blue.
2. The Masked Man is also Blue, even though he wields Tomes in his current incarnation.

Now, as for characters wielding different weapons, we have examples in Catria and Raven. Both wield swords in their respective games* and have swords on their person, but in Heroes they wield different weapons (a lance and axe respectively).

So, it would not be too out of place for the Masked Man and Zacharias to be the same person, but there are still too many questions...
- - - - - - - - - -
* Catria wields swords in her original FE 1 & FE 3 incarnation, not the remakes Shadow Dragon and New Mystery.

Edited by Sire