Gaming personalities you love/hate?

The DanMan

Oh boy, this is gonna be a bit of a post since I was an avid Youtube watcher back in the day. I toned it down a bit, but still watch a decent number of people.

Favorite Personalities

The Completionist - As a fellow "completionist" myself, I enjoy Jirard's content as he goes through completing various video games, as well as his general humor. Currently, the Completionist and his related channels (Jirard the Completionist, Super Beard Bros) are what I watch the most on Youtube.

Angry Joe - Don't let his persona fool you, Angry Joe is actually a fairly good guy who gives his honest reviews on video games. It also helps he makes the reviews entertaining to watch by their production value and humor. // I mostly just watch Angry Joe for the entertaining Angry Reviews, but he does other content as well. Personally, I'm a bit concerned for Joe due to his toxic fanbase. Joe is a good guy, but having the "Angry Joe" persona may have brought in the wrong crowd of people, and I fear it is taking its toll on him.

GameXplain - Not really a "personality" per se, but these guys are the newest addition for me. I watch them for their Nintendo news and discussion, and their other content (such as Derrick's streams) are fairly enjoyable as well.

Smooth McGroove - Also not really a personality, but he makes awesome video game "vocal arrangements" on Youtube. Here's one of Gerudo Valley.

Good Personalities

Jesse Cox - Generally a funny-ish guy, I mostly watch him for story playthroughs as he is a story-oriented player. One of my favorite shows of his is the Scary Game Squad, which features some of the Completionist people (Jirard, Alex) as well as Davis from the Warp Zone. However, even though I watch Jesse, there are times where he rubs me the wrong way. This is especially the case when he starts getting salt while playing games (intensified or not). // Jesse Cox also runs a podcast and has an animation channel called Cox n' Crendor, where an artist makes hilarious animations based off of the Cox & Crendor podcasts.

TotalBiscuit - My original go-to guy and perhaps the man who got me watching Youtube in the first place. Specifically, I used to watch his WoW Cataclysm videos before he transitioned into the video game critic he is now. My liking of him varies, probably since I somewhat dislike TotalBiscuit but like John Bain (the man behind the persona). This dislike may be due to his ongoing condition as he becomes a little more irritable and may lash out at the viewers, but I still watch his stuff on the rare occassion.

Honorable Mentions

The Yogscast (specifically Lewis & Simon, Hat Films, Sips, and Sjin) - I enjoyed their content because they were just a group of guys getting together to have some fun. Then, every now and then they would come out with something amazing. However, after a long while of watching them, I came to a realization that I was spending way too much time doing so (it became more of a chore to go through all of their videos, even is just listening to the audio). That, and all I was doing was watching a couple people get together and have fun. Why I should I watch others enjoy themselves when I can go outside and do that myself?

I started watching the original duo (Lewis and Simon) around the time of WoW: Cataclysm. This was due to the collabs between them and TotalBiscuit at the time. I enjoyed their various Minecraft adventures and shenanigans elsewhere, but as time went on the magic just disappeared for me. // Hat Films have high production value and can also put out quality content, but their vulgar nature does put me off at times. // Sips may have become my favorite member amongst the Yogscast due to his laid back nature, but he started to play games that did not interest me so I eventually stopped watching. // Sjin is my second favorite (a part of that may be due to the other "iconic duo" of Sips & Sjin), because of his general personality and Minecraft building skills. // However, like I said, it became draining to watch them all. The Yogscast might have become too big for its own good.

omegaevolution - Probably a lesser known personality, but he may be one of the oldest ones on Youtube (since 2006). I marathoned through several of his Let's Plays after wondering what Project X Zone was like (since I can't properly play it because my L&R buttons on my 3DS are broken). I watched through Project X Zone, Project X Zone 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Resonance of Fate, Bravely Second: End Layer, and Odin's Sphere: Leifthrasir. Also, most of his Let's Plays are not commentated over, so it is just pure gameplay being shown (with some silliness thrown in on occasion).

NicoB - I watched him fairly late, and discovered him after marathoning through omegaevolution's stuff. Specifically, I remembered an off-hand comment on how 9 Persons, 9 Hours, and 9 Doors was an amazing story, and I ended up landing on NicoB's channel with his personal playthrough of it. Shortly thereafter, I marathoned through all 3 of the Zero Escape games (999, Virtue's Last Reward, and Zero Time Dilemma), as well as his Steins;Gate Visual Novel playthrough (since I also heard that was pretty good). // After learning of Steins;Gate, that became my obsession for quite a while - watching the anime and researching all I could on Steins;Gate lore. I still need to get around to watching other Steins;Gate content (Steins;Gate Zero, the two side Visual Novels and the Drama CDs). Specifically, I'm hoping NicoB does a playthrough of Steins;Gate Zero so I can continue with that.

knightwing01 - I mostly just watched him for his intensive Batman content and knowledge, but as I am not currently in "Batman Mode," I am not watching his stuff.

.... I feel so out of place here XD

I don't watch much youtube... I usually watch whatever my bf is watching. I remember a guy who draws himself with this uberly large chin, and something about launching things off off ramp buggies in GTA5, but that's about it.

One thing I DO remember watching by myself is Chuggaconroy's playthrough of Superstar saga. 

I'm that weirdo who listens to classical music via youtube. I know; sad.

28 minutes ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

I remember a guy who draws himself with this uberly large chin, and something about launching things off off ramp buggies in GTA5, but that's about it.

The big chin guy is GradeAUnderA, who is slowly being replaced by Sam O'Nella.

Oh, I remember another personality I dislike:

"... but that's just a theory.... A GAME THEORY."

Matt Pat could be a good dude, but I hate everything he does.

Long List incoming so I will keep the descriptions short. If you like in-depth game analysis you should check out the guys in the Great section.

The Great

Raycevick: long and short form in-depth game analysis channel. This guy is so good he really need a lot love more then he gets. He has done Halo, Call of Duty, currently doing Mass Effect among other things.

Joseph Anderson: long form in-depth game analysis channel. Has done things like Fallout, Uncharted, and Dark Souls among others.

Emcee ProphIt: long and short form in-depth game analysis channel more on the symbolism side. Has done Zelda, Mother 3, Undertale in long form and does some short form on various games as well, is doing Mass Effect next.

Hamish Black of Writing on Games: short form in-depth game analysis channel, mostly talks about design concepts in many games that they did well or badly, most recently he did one Zelda BOTW's open spaces.

Mark Brown:  short form in-depth game analysis channel, mostly talks about design concepts in many games that they did well or badly.

Extra Credits: Game Design channel by actual professionals, if you like Game Design check it out.

Matthewmatosis: long form in-depth game analysis channel, has lots of Zelda, Mario, and Dark Souls stuff among other things.

Liam Robertson: Know as the Unseen64 guy he digs up stories about cancelled games helping to persevere game history among other thing. 

George Weidman of Super Bunnyhop: George does everything, analysis, reviews, industry commentary, ect. he is awesome. 

John Linneman of Digital Foundry: Digital Foundry does some great work in general but John does DF Retro where his gives a historical tech analysis of the game or series and goes really deep it is some really cool stuff.

Chris Franklin (Campster) of Errant Signal: short form in-depth game analysis channel and sometimes reviews, mostly talks about design concepts in many games that they did well or badly.

Jeremy Parish: Bless his soul but this guy is documenting (playing reviewing and them) and doing a historical overview of every single Gameboy ever released along with all US NES games, among other thing. It very interesting if you are into game history and like to see some very odd games that would be otherwise forgotten.

Danny O'Dwyer for his work on Noclip: Former Gamespot employee now does Documentaries on Game Development, has done Doom, Frog Fraction, and Rocket League among other things.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais: long form in-depth game analysis channel. His mic isn't the best but he is really smart has done good on Mass Effect, Dishonored, and Mafia among others.

The Good

Eazy Allies, Ben (Yahtzee) Crosshaw of Zero Punctuation, TotalBiscuit, Jim Sterling, SomecallmeJonny, JohnTron, videogamedunkey.

About Jim: I would've put him on higher but he's being really petty recently, I never cared much for his reviews because I think he has a crap opinion a lot of the time. I just like his industry commentary or punditry if you will. I still listen to him because he has interesting insights even if I don't agree even half the time. I just wish he would stop being so petty especially when it comes to Nintendo... 

The Bad 

Egoraptor mostly... Matpat as well...

Also I don't understand Let's Plays or Let's Players but I have nothing against them. This does not include Speedruns though I quite like  those and I watch some of GDQ every time, not usually on stream but I do love watching the archives.

Edited by Locke087

Well:

Favourites:

TheRPGMINX: Funny as heck, plays horror games, is sarcastic, is British, is cool, plays tons of other games like multiplayer games, plays with other cool youtubers most of the time- what more could I ask for?

It's also because of her Danganronpa LPs that got me into those series, and through her TOS LPs was I introduced to Town of Salem. She also streams, but I barely bother with those since lol timezones lol.

Her job is mainly Youtube, so expect vids from her often.

Laurenzside: Another funny gamer who also had started a Sim series (maybe two years ago or something....?) and is still currently doing them, all of which have 20 episodes focusing around different characters and a different theme. 

She plays RPG maker and horror games, although she doesn't do them often nowadays. She also plays Yandere Simulator, which I'm quite addicted to myself. She plays other games as well. She has some montages for the games she played, so if anyone wants to see her get scared or get some laughs, check them out.

TheMysteriousMrEnter: He's a cartoon critic, and since I'm a cartoon lover, I often watch his reviews on "Animated Atrocities" and "Admirable Animations". I like his vids, and while I'm not currently watching him as of now, he's still one of my favourites.

JaidenAnimations: pretty much her just making animations of her life. I like her animation and stories.

PeanutButterGamer: I'm currently not really watching him but I do like a lot of his videos. Plus, he's a Nintendo fan mainly, and so am I.

Tabbes: Kinda like Jaiden, although not as good animation. I do like her gloomy look though.

Good:

the youtubers I'm mentioning here are ones that I sometimes watch, but I do find their content pretty good:

Weeby news: Her channel pretty much deals with everything Danganronpa. She does character analysis, reviews, some theories as well as telling about any recent Dangan news. Liked her vids.

YandereDev: His videos are just him talking about his progress in making Yandere Simulator as well as any additional information such as when the next build or video is coming. However I mainly just go through his blog.

OtakuBerry: I like her taste on Vocaloid music and the occasional anime memes.

TopAnimeWeekly: The channel pretty much has "top lists" of various anime. Mainly get any info about new or old anime from it.

The Angry Librarian: I like her artstyle, and she's also really nice. Unfortunately she doesn't post often.

thadududette: She makes funny parodies and makes "literal parody openings" of anime most of the time. Funny as heck.

VenturianTale: pretty much deal with Gmod. I haven't seen a video of theirs for a long time, but I remember a lot of them being funny.

there are probably others I can't remember, so uh....yeah.

Bad:

I should mention I don't really hate this youtuber, just what he does in his content:

Markiplier: I just don't like how loud he is most of the time, and sometimes annoying.

Also for some reason it feels like he's overreacting in some horror games, specifically the FNAF games, but I haven't as many videos to determine that.

Ben Croshaw a.k.a. Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation: He gets a bit on my nerves with his constant negativity and him bashing games I like, but I understand because when he bashes games I DON'T like it's bloody hilarious.

Loves:

Jontron- Everything he does is great

Projared- Pretty cool dood

Mat Pat- Douchebag speech, All his content

NateWantsToBattle- lot less serious than he seems

Good:

PBG- does funny videos, has ferrets

GameXplain- good news

Game Grumps: While Erin IS a dirty scumbag, Danny and Jon help balance it put with there modesty

space hamster- inferior PBG

Markiplier- nice, too loud though

Bad:

Pewdiepie- like Markiplier, but 100 times LOUDER AND MORE ANNOYING

also

Love:

Odd1sout

JaidenAnimations

Edited by Tuvy

On 3/17/2017 at 6:03 AM, Slumber said:

Oh, I remember another personality I dislike:

"... but that's just a theory.... A GAME THEORY."

Matt Pat could be a good dude, but I hate everything he does.

Honestly I don't mind Game Theory, but Film Theory rubs me the wrong way between essentially plagiarizing R+L=J and claiming that The Matrix is a "perfect movie".

Two favorites of mine would be Superbunnyhopp and Matthewmathosis. 

Both Youtubers are into longer and more in debt videos, often doing several videos in a row of franchises I'm interested in. I also think they strike a nice balance between positive and negative which is something a lot of other youtubers struggle with at times. 

I'd agree with those saying that Jim Sterling has been a bit petty lately but he remains an interesting guy with interesting things to say. I can also appreciate the over the top persona though I can see why it would annoy other people. 

Totalbiscuit ranks somewhere in the middle. I think he comes off as an intelligent and really reasonable guy but I'm highly distrustful of PC gaming so a lot of the stuff he covers just isn't in my field of interest. 

I wouldn't say I ''hate'' any youtuber but on n the negative end there's moviebob. Like Jim he has a lot of interesting stuff to say but that's why It reflects extra poorly of him that he keeps disqualifying himself when talking about a lot of topics. It kind of rubs me the wrong way how he demonizes a lot of people he disagrees with, not merely saying they are wrong but also dangerous to the medium or that they are terrible people. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Chuggaconroy... full stop...

My reason? All those freaking puns...

Markiplier is okay, I guess... the over-the-top reactions he does do makes me laugh. Sometimes a laugh and a mischievous grin too!

Edited by Frosty

Jim Sterling is garbage, JonTron is a chump for not finishing Starfox Adventures and MatPat is a clown who makes dumb videos while asking silly questions like, "Should Nintendo stop making consoles?" and "Should ads be banned from the Super Bowl?" when he gets ad revenue. Don't get me started on his recent Undertale videos.

The Comepletionist guy and NakaTelele are pretty alright

For people I like in no particular order.

Chuggaaconroy

SomecallmeJohnny/Super Gaming Bros

Rooster Teeth/Achievement Hunter, but honestly I just listened to their podcast nowadays as opposed to their let's plays.

Super Best Friends

Gamexplain

People I think are decent:

BrainscratchComms- I mentioned earlier how I like Johnny, I also like Lewis a lot. Lewis goes into depth on how he feels about topics. Ryan is either quiet or bitching about something. And Ted is so God damn annoying because he is always bitching, and unlike Ryan, he talks a lot

ProJared- I actually think his reviews are decent, not the best in the world, but not terrible.

The Completionist- I have to admit I've really liked him when Greg was on the show, I feel like Greg's awkward comic relief bounced off well with Jirard. But since he left, Jirard still kind of makes Greg's awkward comic relief jokes but it feels forced and I just find it on funny. Also his review of Spyro Year of the Dragon sucked ass How dare you have a different opinion than me Jirard, you son of a bitch

Angry Joe- His anger feels forced sometimes, but he is okay.

People I don't like

Gamegrumps.... More specifically, Egoraptor... Arin has got to be the most incompetent commentator I've seen. Yes Arin, Shadow the Hedgehog is a bad game, and the controls aren't great. But literally aiming the camera towards a bottomless pit and just spamming the homing attack button is going to get you killed, that's not the game's fault, you're a dumbass. Not to mention he does this for a lot of games, doesn't do the tutorial, then shouts "THIS GAME CONTROLS LIKE ASSSSSSSSS" while Danny just sits there and giggles. It's not entertaining. Sometimes it's fun to hear the commentary, but not when it's talking about the game.

Jim Sterling- Not a huge fan of pessimists and cynics

The crew of Brainscratchcomms (for the most part)

@Jedi Just curious, which members do you like and dislike?

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

I'm really into longform reviews. Not the kind that come out on release day but years later in order to draw a larger chronicle of large franchises or gaming trends. I don't know why these are starting to become big, but like with Let's Plays picking up speed 6 or 7 years ago, I'm happy to see it. Channels like Matthewmatosis, Noah Gervais, KingK, and The Gaming Historian. There's also similar content (albeit shorter videos) from SuperBunnyhop, Chronicles, and Ahoy that are extremely high quality. Cannot recommend these enough.

As far as Let's Plays, there aren't a ton I watch too much of now. Almost a decade later I'm still tuning in to ProtonJon and HCBailly when they announce certain projects that I've been waiting to see. Some of the best LPs I've seen come from infrequent sources like Supagogoman (Dino Crisis and Shenmue) and Geminilaser (Mega Man). And my Fire Emblem itch for the last few months has been satisfied by Ghast Station and Mangs.

On 3/23/2017 at 7:40 PM, Emeraldfox said:

Don't get me started on his recent Undertale videos.

Is Sans actually Ness from Earthbound?

I have to admit though, I don't really hate MatPat, but I kinda gave up on watching his vids on game theories (even if quite a lot of them sound interesting), mainly because I just don't feel like talking about game theories anymore.

Also how many of you prefer to have your favourite youtubers make videos as long as about an hour or 30 minutes, or do you prefer to have them make 10 or 20 minute long videos? 

Not really sure if they count as gaming personalities, since the channel doesn't really have the same sort of... I guess, "boisterousness", that that descriptor often implies, but I find that Dark Pixel Gaming's content is really good if you're looking for more serious, in-depth reviews, analyses, and general coverage of games.

I also find that I like ProJared's stuff quite a bit. PeanutButterGamer and SpaceHamster's videos are both fun, although their respective senses of humor don't always align perfectly with my own. I do rather like PBG as a person, from what I know of him from following his Twitter. AntDude is somewhat lower-key, but I've also enjoyed the stuff he makes. And, of course, credit where credit is due to Chuggaaconroy for helping me get into the MOTHER/EarthBound series with his Let's Play of EarthBound Beginnings.

I can sort of enjoy the Game Grumps in their own kind of way, but usually when I'm watching their videos it's not actually to watch a video about the particular game they're playing. I do think that Arin has a tendency to kinda... get caught up in his own personal tastes in things and talk about games as though how much they're to his taste is a valid metric by which to judge their objective merit. I don't know if he means to do that, but I do concede that it's frustrating at times. From what I've seen of him outside of his videos, he seems to be a fairly cool, down-to-earth guy, so I have a rather hard time actually disliking him or anything.

I used to enjoy JonTron's videos, but recently my dislike for the kind of person he turned out to be really put me off of them. Some people can separate the creator from the works they create, but I really have a hard time doing that. Besides, in this particular case, it's not like JonTron filled some crucial niche in my YouTube-watching life that nobody else can fill or anything, anyway.

I think I tried watching some of Markiplier's videos, but they really weren't to my tastes; I never even tried watching PewDiePie's stuff, and in light of recent events, that certainly ain't gonna change.

On a different topic from YouTube personalities, despite having only dipped into the very beginnings of two of his games*, I really admire Hideo Kojima's boldness and, for lack of a better word, whimsy, when it comes to designing games. I kinda wanna try to take after him in terms of, like, the degree to which I just brazenly do what I want with my own creations, although what I make would obviously end up drastically different from his stuff on account of personality differences, hehe~

*The original MSX2 Metal Gear 1 and the demo of the 3DS version of Metal Gear Solid 3, for those curious.

TieTuesday and A_Raving_Loon/Liar VanGoon probably qualify as my two major internet darlings. Credit's due to Smite for setting up the Arcade Pit as well, something I'd recommend people on here check out - essentially a sort of emulation/VG trivia gameshow on stream.

9 hours ago, Flee Fleet! said:

Also how many of you prefer to have your favourite youtubers make videos as long as about an hour or 30 minutes, or do you prefer to have them make 10 or 20 minute long videos? 

I prefer videos at an hour long. Heck most of what I watch is 3-5 hour long series chained together by multiple videos on the same game.

Anyway this thread got me started thinking about IGN. It's popular consensus that it's a lousy website now, but lots of people used to love it. Honestly I think people should start looking at IGN (and similar sites) in terms of following a specific editor(s), instead of just dropping a blanket "IGN sucks".

That said I don't go there for any content anymore. However, I have a deep fondness for my times with the IGN n64 and IGC DC editors, who I found to be mostly agreeable.

Aaron Boulding - My favorite member of the IGN staff. I think some of his standout work would be the reviews for "MDK2, Quake 3 Arena, and Battletanx:Global Assault". Sometimes he reads as taking the persona of an angry veteran upset with modern games, but I find most of his stuff entertaining and he goes out of his way to promote action games despite acknowledging that they aren't really fun for a general audience. 

Jeremy Dunham- Pretty distinctive in that he usually wrote 3 page reviews in the latter half of his time at IGN. These definitely allowed him to give more of a proper review and less of a "preview" of the games he covered.  I think his coverage of the n64's wrestling games and Devil may cry 3 are among his best work.

Peer Schneider- Creator of nintendojo and a founding member of IGN. For some reason people usually consider him to be "tame". I would like to point to stuff like his yoshi's story review, where he says, "If you play this game with the music cranked high, your neighbors will hire someone to shoot you". I'm not claiming that he maintained his sense of humor across all his work on n64-GCN-DS, but I still find him pretty consistent, even leaving his historical importance aside.

Jeff Chin, Anoop Gantayat, Brandon Justice- Personally I feel like team Dreamcast had the strongest editors at IGN. Anoop and Brandon would continue to do some in depth work in sports and action games respectively during IGN's  genre-based restructuring. 

There are a couple others people I think did good work (Doug Perry,David Smith, Eirk Peterson, Trent Ward). I know some people may not consider these "personalities" but you have to understand that reviews during the early years were really flavorful and that a bullet point heavy "house style" did not exist yet. Most of these reviews were much more than just "the facts about the game". For that matter I consider the better book and theatre critics to be personalities.