uhhh Kat"s sprites?

Serkat

You should avoid pillow shading, and the hair seems like it could be a bit detailed.

The first girl might need to have her head be a bit larger or adjusted slightly lower IMO. The coloration also is too dark for the robes. It needs to be a closer color to the bulk of the robe.

The second girl's left shoulder needs to be adjusted with the rest of the body as well. Her hair also looks a little blocky on the left as well.

Both talking portraits need to be a bit more centered. Look at the base one on the far right. Its in a different spot, and the second girl's is at a different angle. 

Honestly? These are pretty good overall though. I'm no good with FE hair, and I prefer a flat style mostly but there needs to be a bit more shades to the hair. 

gdi aug you ninja'd me

Okay, first off, you're waaaaaaaaay over the color count. Those mugs are entirely uninsertable, regardless of the fact that they're formatted.

GBA mugs have a 16 color palette - that is, 15 colors for the mug + 1 background color that shouldn't be used in the mug at all. Your mugs have been painted in PS or something without using an indexed palette that would constrain the colors, which results in smooth blending, but way too many damn colors. While this would be fine for later FE games (GC, DS, 3DS), this doesn't work for GBAFE.

2715196f49a6c018bb2c8c84bd1f189e.pngaffb65a8edebc7de6f9e7196dfe75301.png
Also, if you look here, you share colors with your BG in the sprite itself. These magenta pixels would show up as transparent in-game.

Spritework is deliberate and time-consuming. You have to put down every pixel down for a reason.
Anti-aliasing is purposely done with specific pixels to create the illusion of blending, since we're only given a very limited palette.

33 minutes ago, Augestein said:

You should avoid pillow shading, and the hair seems like it could be a bit detailed.

The first girl might need to have her head be a bit larger or adjusted slightly lower IMO. The coloration also is too dark for the robes. It needs to be a closer color to the bulk of the robe.

The second girl's left shoulder needs to be adjusted with the rest of the body as well. Her hair also looks a little blocky on the left as well.

Both talking portraits need to be a bit more centered. Look at the base one on the far right. Its in a different spot, and the second girl's is at a different angle. 

Honestly? These are pretty good overall though. I'm no good with FE hair, and I prefer a flat style mostly but there needs to be a bit more shades to the hair. 

Haha I didnt realize I was pillow shading until now haha Thank you for telling me! Also thanks for the info about the cloak I thought something was off XD 

Do you mind if you could show me a bit more about her shoulder as I honeslty can't really tell haha. Yeah I didnt mean for that to be blocky so I will see what I can do to change that when I can!

Aaa for the talking sprites I was trying to hard to follow how the officals went XD But thank you for the help!

35 minutes ago, Teapot said:

gdi aug you ninja'd me

Okay, first off, you're waaaaaaaaay over the color count. Those mugs are entirely uninsertable, regardless of the fact that they're formatted.

GBA mugs have a 16 color palette - that is, 15 colors for the mug + 1 background color that shouldn't be used in the mug at all. Your mugs have been painted in PS or something without using an indexed palette that would constrain the colors, which results in smooth blending, but way too many damn colors. While this would be fine for later FE games (GC, DS, 3DS), this doesn't work for GBAFE.

2715196f49a6c018bb2c8c84bd1f189e.pngaffb65a8edebc7de6f9e7196dfe75301.png
Also, if you look here, you share colors with your BG in the sprite itself. These magenta pixels would show up as transparent in-game.

Spritework is deliberate and time-consuming. You have to put down every pixel down for a reason.
Anti-aliasing is purposely done with specific pixels to create the illusion of blending, since we're only given a very limited palette.

Really I am? I only used three colors with the hair and then two to three for the rest of it! Do you mind if you could show me the exact results for it? As when I was doing it I only counted up to about 12 colors I used! Honestly about the background I must had forgotten haha but thanks for that I wouldnt notice it!

10323f32b4aa4702cd75e191756eb264.png
Literally so many colors they don't all fit in the palette box.

65e6e7f06cf97de35ea6d7b52f925d73.png
Slightly better.

Turn off anti-aliasing on your brushes or use the pencil tool. IIRC global fill also has a tendency to go between gaps and stuff in PS. IMO, stick with something that's more intended for pixel art, like MSPaint, GraphicsGale, etc.

• 4 months later...

Heyo I'm back at doing some sprite edits though this time I didn't do them from scratch like I did before XDD 

First one is just recoloring of that one gal that uses Pegasus's in sacred stones and the other was me editing the sprite of the pink hair girl from sacred stones (Sorry I forgot the names) I am thinking of using the second one for a FE hack I am planning XD

Recolor whats her name.png

Alexa.png

If these aren't for practice, and you're planning on using them in an actual project, you should try to be more transformative. This isn't exactly required or anything, but it will make for a more defined final product with it's own identity.

On 7/26/2017 at 9:06 PM, Zelkami said:

If these aren't for practice, and you're planning on using them in an actual project, you should try to be more transformative. This isn't exactly required or anything, but it will make for a more defined final product with it's own identity.

OTL I didn't realized I never replied to you until now but anyways thanks for the critique! I do have a question though by transformative, what do you mean by that? Is it to try and mess around with the pose more? 

Not the pose necessarily, but try to change the look of the character more. The two examples you have right now are very clearly Tana and Marisa. If you're aiming to make a project with an original characters and story, you'll want them to look different. This can be as simple as mix and matching the hair, face, and body of three different characters, but you should generally try to be more creative when combining assets. If I didn't explain that very well, here's an example of how to go further with splicing by Taoamr.

UUDycMq.png

5 hours ago, Zelkami said:

Not the pose necessarily, but try to change the look of the character more. The two examples you have right now are very clearly Tana and Marisa. If you're aiming to make a project with an original characters and story, you'll want them to look different. This can be as simple as mix and matching the hair, face, and body of three different characters, but you should generally try to be more creative when combining assets. If I didn't explain that very well, here's an example of how to go further with splicing by Taoamr.

UUDycMq.png

Ah, thank you so much for the help!!! Actually here is a wip of what I am working on right now!

Haylee.png

Edited by Serkat