http://gematsu.com/2017/03/fire-emblem-echoes-introduces-two-new-characters-unit-movement-rewind-system

Now I don't usually post Gemtasu links, but this is kind of cool for once.

So we seem to have a new mechanic in the form of Mila's Gear. 

Mila’s Gear – If you use it during battle, you can rewind the movements of your units one at a time. There is a limit to the amount of times you can use it, though, so don’t abuse it.

Those of you who have played stuff like Prince of Persia, or Tactics Ogre may be familiar with traveling back a little bit in time to fix yourself.

Edited by Jedi

52 minutes ago, Jedi said:

http://gematsu.com/2017/03/fire-emblem-echoes-introduces-two-new-characters-unit-movement-rewind-system

Now I don't usually post Gemtasu links, but this is kind of cool for once.

So we seem to have a new mechanic in the form of Mila's Gear. 

Those of you who have played stuff like Prince of Persia, or Tactics Ogre may be familiar with traveling back a little bit in time to fix yourself.

Part of me is a bit hesitant about this item. I'd have to see how it works in game since the Dagger of Time was integral to the whole Prince of Persia series. It does sound like an interesting new mechanic, however.

3 minutes ago, KazeNinja17 said:

Part of me is a bit hesitant about this item. I'd have to see how it works in game since the Dagger of Time was integral to the whole Prince of Persia series. It does sound like an interesting new mechanic, however.

I think its quite the forgiving mechanic, considering how janky some of Gaidens maps could be, I think this may be their way of combating some of that.

2 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

I hope it's a casual only item

Regardless if it is or not, I'm sure its not mandatory or forced to be used.

8 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I think its quite the forgiving mechanic, considering how janky some of Gaidens maps could be, I think this may be their way of combating some of that.

True. I never played Gaiden myself, but I did hear that it's a very unforgiving game at times. Not as unforgiving as Genealogy of the Holy War or Thracia 776, though.

I can see it being included to make the game seem more newbie friendly (not meant in a bad way). I wonder how many uses it'll have.

1 minute ago, KazeNinja17 said:

True. I never played Gaiden myself, but I did hear that it's a very unforgiving game at times. Not as unforgiving as Genealogy of the Holy War or Thracia 776, though.

I can see it being included to make the game seem more newbie friendly (not meant in a bad way). I wonder how many uses it'll have.

It's speculated to be tied to the clock icons in the bottom right of a units profile on the bottom screen. I think we've seen it be 3 every time for every character, but unless that's permanent across the entire game, 3 rewinds per character per map is ridiculous. I can see it be 3 times per chapter though.

1 minute ago, Konnor97 said:

It's speculated to be tied to the clock icons in the bottom right of a units profile on the bottom screen. I think we've seen it be 3 every time for every character, but unless that's permanent across the entire game, 3 rewinds per character per map is ridiculous. I can see it be 3 times per chapter though.

Yeah. 3 times per chapter makes more sense than 3 rewinds per character per map. Either way, more information on this item is needed.

10 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Regardless if it is or not, I'm sure its not mandatory or forced to be used.

Even if it isn't, that won't stop some from complaining. Have you ever seen people moan and groan about the way Exp. Share now works in Pokémon?

24 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Even if it isn't, that won't stop some from complaining. Have you ever seen people moan and groan about the way Exp. Share now works in Pokémon?

I know, but I still felt like I needed to point it out.

I can definitely see it be useful if you placed a flier onto the wrong tile. Archers are tougher this time around so I can see myself needing it for those scenarios. But Goddess Palla never fails though.

Definitely getting a Tactics Ogre vibe from this mechanic, which makes me very excited. 

Having played Gaiden myself, I wouldn't consider it as an unforgiving game. That honor goes to Thracia 776. 

I wouldn't say Gaiden is unforgiving, exactly. Unless you end up getting assaulted by Bow Knights or Dracozombies when you're not quite prepared for them, the difficulty seemed to be mostly pretty fair. Most of the stupidity came from the low hit rates, in my experience, which is where I can see this gear being most useful. Missing four 70-80% attacks, while not entirely unlikely, is always a total drag.

Honestly I kinda feel like this is better than Casual Mode as a means of saving characters, since you still can't just yolo your way through everything but can also adjust to single mistakes or reinforcements (not that Gaiden has those, if I remember correctly) or what have you. But since we're going to have both concurrently... well, it'll still be interesting to see how they handle it. Maybe they won't exist in Hard or a theoretical Lunatic mode, or maybe they actually will end up trivializing the game at all levels. Either way it seems neat but I probably won't use it.