Possibility of pairings in Echoes

Now with the newly released new information Effie now called Faye that's is Alm childhood friend and from the looks of it have obvious crush on him. Now I never played original Gaiden nor the previous remakes IS have done in the past but I do know that Alm x Celicia are the canon pairings (to be honest anyone should see this from a mile away anyway). Also with more information coming it seems support conversation are in the game. Whenever the marriage is in the game is still up in the air.

The point is I'm trying to make is if you can choose whom Alm will end up with between Faye or Celicia are you for or against it? Or do you think because of Alm x Celicia are canon parings IS will simply say no and won't permit it and we another Cordelia/Oboro in our hands?

Personally I'm all for it having the option who Alm will end up with (if the game allows it that is). I love having options in games since this will increase the replayability and I do hope that IS will give me the option to do so.

What do you guys think?

you can't touch alm x celica

it ain't happening

even claire's ending in the original gaiden implied that she liked alm too

just gonna be another catria in the game that actually has catria (but no marth)

I really don't see how they would do it, especially with Alm and Celica being separated for nearly the whole game save the last map since they have nearly entirely different maps (with the exception of chapter 2 where Celica can visit Alms path from chapter 1).

It would require them to have some sort of calculation that the only way they would end up is if they lack supports with other characters (like awakeing with Chrom & Olivia), or thats the only way I see it could be pulled off, and I don't think people wan't to feel like they need to have Celica and Alm huddled somewhere in a corner in their respective maps just so that they can get the canon endings for the characters.

Edited by ClassyWolf

I have said this many many times before: if pair ups will likely exist in this game then they will likely be similar how they were done in FE 12 with Kris where no true pairings will existed, and any real pairing was only an implied crush if anything.

Edited by CatManThree

Isn't the whole theme of the game that both Duma and Mila went too far in opposite directions, and that the Rigelans lived far too harshly and the Zofians far too frivously instead of finding some kind of middlge ground? That's pretty much what Alm (who's vicious and aggressive) and Celica (who's naïve and soft) hooking up symbolizes. I doubt they'll let either of them pair up with someone else. At least that's how I interpret it.

Other characters are fair game, I'm sure.

Interesting I was mainly thinking of the fun factor and the replayability here and not really the story consequences it may lead and/or how it can be implemented into the game. Like I was also thinking as a whole Alm x Celicia will and still considered the canon pairing but in the game there is a "what if" scenario or something where Alm can hook up with someone else as an alternative option for the player.

While I have no doubt I'll like Alm x Celicia pairing I'm just afraid I'll like Alm x Faye as much and for different reasons and say to myself "why won't the game allow to hook those two up!".

If there will be a mechanic that allows it in the first place. Although I can see why so many will be displeased or burned out if such mechanic is in the game, considering how Awakening and Fates turned out to be.

This is why I will never understand shippers that flip themselves saying X pairing is canon while pairing Y is not. Where in most cases I see both pairings as canon for different reasons.

Edited by FoliFF

To be honest, I wouldn't want Alm x Faye to be possible. While I've never played the original Gaiden, Alm x Celica was apparently *THE* pairing. Or at least definitely canon. So I don't think I'd be too crazy about making this fact...less so, I suppose I can say.

23 minutes ago, spiderbrush said:

To be honest, I wouldn't want Alm x Faye to be possible. While I've never played the original Gaiden, Alm x Celica was apparently *THE* pairing. Or at least definitely canon. So I don't think I'd be too crazy about making this fact...less so, I suppose I can say.

How can the option to have more pairings make the canon pairing less canon? I mean canon is canon, unless I misunderstood what you're trying to tell me.

Edited by FoliFF

18 minutes ago, FoliFF said:

How can the option to have more pairings make the canon pairing less canon? I mean canon is canon, unless I misunderstood what you're trying to tell me.

Eh, nah. You're right about that. I suppose I'm just not crazy about pairing Alm with anyone else but Celica. Now I sound like one of those fangirls who dislikes a character for "getting in the way" of pairings, heh

..actually, I suppose I'm just kind of worried that Faye will end up like Cordelia.

I mean, Alm and Celica is like Marth and Caeda. The game will just say no.

Coredlia isn't the original unrequited love character either. That would be Catria (and Roger lol)

Edited by Tryhard

I think it would be nice if multiple pairings. But it should be handeled like in 6-10, where there's no ingame marriage, just paired endings between certain pairs of characters with high support ranks. Considering that Alm and Celica can't build any support ranks, being seperated for the entire game, they would probably end up as the default pairing if neither hooks up with someone else.

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

I'd rather there not be any mechanics related to pairing up characters in FE for awhile. 

Same here. I don't mind them, but they're starting to take the spotlight, and that should not be for a strategy game like FE.

I don't really see how it affects replay-ability? Alm and Celica's relationship is symbolic, and their marriage signifies one of the core themes of the game. I feel like everyone else should be fair game though, if everyone had like 1-4 choices.

As for pairings, there were quite a few in the original. Some were definitely romantic, while others are questionable. The spoiler is the other pairings in Gaiden, but I don't mind them really being switched around. I highly doubt the 6th one would be switched around, since they were already in a relationship.

Spoiler

Boey x Mae (either platonic or romantic)

Gray x Clair (although Tobin had a crush on Clair and Clair had a crush on Alm)

Clive x Matilda

Saber x Genny (implied)

Kamui x Jesey (more like a brotherhood; platonic)

Zeke x Tatianna

I mean, if you want to pair up Faye so badly, she'll probably have supports with the other villagers, Alm, Clair, and maybe Lukas. Who knows? All pairings would do is affect the epilogue and not much else (which I'm completely fine with).

I'd rather not force relationship mechanics into Gaiden.

I'd tolerate it for most other characters, but Alm/Celica and Zeke/Tatiana in particular should not be touched. They're too important to the overall world. Alm/Celica marrying and uniting the two countries is one of the most important events in Valentian history, while Zeke/Tatiana basically defines all of the former's actions from his appearance here onward. Altering either of these would have severe consequences on Gaiden's overall impact in the world.