Your favorite of the brothers?

Dragoncat

Who's your favorite?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Pick

• Oscar
    • Boyd
    • Rolf

Oscar.  As the oldest sibling, I can empathize with having to make sacrifices to take care of your family.  I've always liked him, and can't wait for him to get into Heroes eventually.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

...Dude. You do realize that Rolf is like 13, right? And that Marcia is clearly an adult woman?

Also, she belongs to Kieran! :P

Yeah I thought the same thing, but hey, whatever floats people's boats. I think he's 14 in PoR and 17 in RD though.

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Yeah I thought the same thing, but hey, whatever floats people's boats. I think he's 14 in PoR and 17 in RD though.

I always thought he was 13. He is slightly younger than Mist.

I think we've had this discussion before about Rolf's age.  The fact that his voice hasn't dropped yet in RD makes me put him at 15 at most in RD.

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I think we've had this discussion before about Rolf's age.  The fact that his voice hasn't dropped yet in RD makes me put him at 15 at most in RD.

Not every guy develops a deep voice. I've heard some pretty high voices in men before.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Not every guy develops a deep voice. I've heard some pretty high voices in men before.

Maybe not all men are basses, but the high pitch he has in the cut scene is way too high for all but the very end of the bell curve or castrati.

Just now, Rezzy said:

Maybe not all men are basses, but the high pitch he has in the cut scene is way too high for all but the very end of the bell curve or castrati.

Well yeah, he's not an adult yet. When he is one, it'll probably be like the high adult male voices I've heard.

@Anacybele@Rezzy

Going off the Official Tellius Recollection, Volume 2, Rolf is 15 as of Radiant Dawn; thus, he'd be 12 in Path of Radiance, two years younger than Mist.

12-year-old bowman raining death upon enemy soldiers... Not sure how I feel about that... Lol.

Edited by Extrasolar

6 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

RE: Rolf Age

Going off the Official Tellius Recollection, Volume 2, Rolf is 15 as of Radiant Dawn; thus, he'd be 12 in Path of Radiance, two years younger than Mist.

12-year-old bowman raining death upon enemy soldiers... Not sure how I feel about that... Lol.

Yeah, but at least it's not like FE6 where practically half the cast is 16 or under. Roy is 15, Wolt is the same, Lilina is probably the same too, the mage twins are 13, Chad and Cath both look maybe 12-14, Dorothy also looks 15ish, Clarine is probably like 14, Shanna looks 12 or 13, Tate 15 or 16, Alan and Lance don't even look more than 16, imo. This was very silly to me. I know sometimes kids have to fight, but this many? Just...no. I don't want to control an army of kids. This is one thing that turned me away from the game.

But going back on topic, I do like what Rolf does as a unit though. Imo, he's better than Shinon in PoR and good for taking out wyverns and bird laguz. He's valuable in the raven pirate chapter if you fed him some bonus exp and such.

Edited by Anacybele

12 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

@Anacybele@Rezzy

Is Oscar 24 in PoR or RD?

I wish they didn't list "appears" ages for laguz and branded, since it doesn't really give great information and is very subjective.  Micaiah, for instances has to be in her 20s, since she was born before the Serenes Massacre.  Putting 15 just serves to confuse people.

I don't agree with a lot of their "Appears" ages either.  Mordecai looks way older than 20.  And I think Ranulf is older than Skrimir.  Januff is said to look like a child to Oscar, so why does it list his age as 30?  That chart is all over the place for laguz characters.

Edited by Rezzy

15 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Path of Radiance - mentioned in his support with Janaff.

I wish they didn't list "appears" ages for laguz and branded, since it doesn't really give great information and is very subjective.

Yeah, anime art really isn't conducive to how old characters are "really" supposed to look... I always thought Kyza was meant to be in his mid-late twenties at least, but he's supposed to look 19 according to the chart.

Micaiah, for instances has to be in her 20s, since she was born before the Serenes Massacre.  Putting 15 just serves to confuse people.

That's just to represent that she looks supernaturally young due to her status as a Branded. I think it's implied she's at least a few decades old in RD itself.

Januff is said to look like a child to Oscar, so why does it list his age as 30?  That chart is all over the place for laguz characters.

I think Janaff's age is listed as 30 because he's a classmate of Tibarn and Ulki and was raised alongside them, and those two are meant to look roughly 30 years old. Could be emotional age; he just has a really youthful face. That's my best guess.

Edited by Extrasolar

21 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I wish they didn't list "appears" ages for laguz and branded, since it doesn't really give great information and is very subjective.  Micaiah, for instances has to be in her 20s, since she was born before the Serenes Massacre.  Putting 15 just serves to confuse people.

I don't agree with a lot of their "Appears" ages either.  Mordecai looks way older than 20.  And I think Ranulf is older than Skrimir.  Januff is said to look like a child to Oscar, so why does it list his age as 30?  That chart is all over the place for laguz characters.

Is this going to be like the Pokédex? Want they make things as they go? Because that's how it looks for now...

9 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

Path of Radiance - mentioned in his support with Janaff.

Yeah, anime art really isn't conducive to how old characters are "really" supposed to look... I always thought Kyza was meant to be in his mid-late twenties at least, but he's supposed to look 19 according to the chart.

That's just to represent that she looks supernaturally young due to her status as a Branded. I think it's implied she's at least a few decades old in RD itself.

I think Janaff's age is listed as 30 because he's a classmate of Tibarn and Ulki and was raised alongside them, and those two are meant to look roughly 30 years old. Could be emotional age; he just has a really youthful face. That's my best guess.

I think listing their actual ages would be a lot more useful.  Doesn't Januff actually say he's over 100 years old in one of his support convos?  And having some of the ages go by PoR and some go by RD is a lack of consistency that just bothers the scientist in me.

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

Is this going to be like the Pokédex? Want they make things as they go? Because that's how it looks for now...

Tiki: the loli manakete pokemon.  Her Fire Breath can reach over 400,000 degrees.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

I think listing their actual ages would be a lot more useful.  Doesn't Januff actually say he's over 100 years old in one of his support convos? 

Yup, his conversation with Shinon.

I think they used "age in beorc terms" because us hoomans have no frame of reference for what "100 years old" to a laguz means. When we see "30 in beorc terms," we can at least get behind that. I mean, it isn't until the Tellius Recollection book itself that we learn just how long the laguz live in comparison to beorc in the first place.

Archers/Snipers aren't that good in PoR with the effective bonus being trimmed from 3x might to 2x. Though unfortunately it appears FE has had even worse. T776 gives you Tanya (okayish) and the proto-Outlaw Ronan. And then we have Awakening and Virion. Oh the queasiness he gives me! Did IS learn NOTHING about what made early Archers in many of the games prior to FE13 so garbage?! Takumi and Niles remedied that concern, though BR!Setsuna worries me that they haven't learned enough.

My long-held resentment toward Virion has at last been released. On the RolfxMarcia thing, I didn't mean it in all due seriousness. Their support is cute, and the idea of pairing such a sweet innocent boy with a nice and perky young woman is entertaining. In seriousness, Marcia probably sees Rolf as a little brother in their support conversations.

Also, a number of Rolf's supports are built around his innocence and how he basically is too young to fight/has to mature due because he is fighting. Dunno if that features in any of FE6's young characters' supports.

And on that note, Rolf's Tauroneo support gives some good Home Alone vibes for some reason.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer
Wrote a TRS MC's name by mistake

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Tiki: the loli manakete pokemon.  Her Fire Breath can reach over 400,000 degrees.

>Tiki vs a random Sage

>Tiki attacks first!

>Tiki prepares a critical hit!

>0 dmg on the Sage

Tiki: ... 400,000 degrees huh?

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And then we have Awakening and Virion. Oh the queasiness he gives me! Did IS learn NOTHING about what made early Archers in many of the games prior to FE13 so garbage?! Takumi and Niles remedied that concern, though BR!Setsuna worries me that they haven't learned enough.

Good sir or madam, I don't think you've met Shinon in Radiant Dawn.

And Niles is kind of relegated to a healbot and mage killer if you turn him into an Adventurer due to his low strength around midgame Conquest; still love the guy, but he's definitely not the best archer in the series

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also, a number of Rolf's supports are built around his innocence and how he basically is too young to fight/has to mature due because he is fighting. Dunno if that features in any of FE6's young characters' supports.

Yup...which is weird, because all of the other kidlets aren't that much older than Rolf to begin with. Sothe, Mist and Tormod are the youngest people in the army barring Rolf; Sothe and Mist are still only 14, while Tormod is 13. Not much focus is made on their youth and their being soldiers...

I dunno... I'm kinda leaning towards Oscar though.

On March 19, 2017 at 9:38 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Archers/Snipers aren't that good in PoR with the effective bonus being trimmed from 3x might to 2x. Though unfortunately it appears FE has had even worse. T776 gives you Tanya (okayish) and the proto-Outlaw Ronan. And then we have Awakening and Virion. Oh the queasiness he gives me! Did IS learn NOTHING about what made early Archers in many of the games prior to FE13 so garbage?! Takumi and Niles remedied that concern, though BR!Setsuna worries me that they haven't learned enough.

I dunno about Thracia, butt honestly, I felt archers were at their worst in PoR. I mean, Shinon can put in work as the only reliable ranged attacker early on, when javelins and hand axes are too inaccurate to rely on and Soren is rather weak, but then he leaves, and his bases can't really hold up any more, to say nothing about the part where you need Rolf, who's likely to outclass him by then (assuming you raised him) to talk to him to get him back. Speaking of, Rolf might as well be the worst unit in PoR - lousy bases, underleveled, bad jointime, a pain to raise, fails to pay off significantly for all the effort needed to get him anywhere. Takumi was pretty good (though honestly I was rather skeptical at first), but Niles... Meh, give me Anna or his daughter Nina any day of the week.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Combat-wise, Oscar. Character-wise, Rolf. But I end up more feeling bad for Rolf and feeling like the game treats him like a butt monkey and wish that it would just give him a break than actually 'liking' him, so Oscar.

On 20-3-2017 at 3:38 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

And on that note, Rolf's Tauroneo support gives some good Home Alone vibes for some reason.

I believe Lugh's age raised some eyebrows in one of his supports but he points out that Roy is hardly any older than he is.

On 3/19/2017 at 7:50 PM, Extrasolar said:

Yup...which is weird, because all of the other kidlets aren't that much older than Rolf to begin with. Sothe, Mist and Tormod are the youngest people in the army barring Rolf; Sothe and Mist are still only 14, while Tormod is 13. Not much focus is made on their youth and their being soldiers...

I do think people actually make a big deal about Sothe, Mist and Tormod's age. Just Mist was incredibly stubborn and had just lost her father, Sothe was a stowaway, and Tormod is just as stubborn as Mist, just with Muarim as a bodyguard of sorts. Notably, Rolf is the only orphaned child who still have his living biological mother, but his brothers worry about his well-being as RD shows his mother never showed him much love.

To answer the above poll, I do love Oscar the most. He's one of the most responsible members of the Mercs, and a likely candidate to take over for Titania's second-in-command role.

Oscar: He's got a good straightman thing going, but he really only works as a character when they're bouncing their ridiculousness off of him(IE Keiran).

Boyd: He's Orsin 2.0(Obviously in terms of personality. Not so much stats. I don't expect Boyd to be capable of soloing the game.), which makes him cool in my book. Plus, no matter who you support him with, he's always an entertaining character in them, and he comes off like a good guy who's a little dim.

Rolf: He's probably my least favorite. He's mostly just a precocious kid who's dealing with having to grow up real fast and deals with being a child mercenary in PoR. By the time of RD, he's come into his own a bit more, and he has some insightful stuff to say, but due to how RD handled supports, you get less of him than you did in PoR. That said, I really only enjoy his interactions with Shinon, and that's more because of Shinon.

Boyd. For two reasons:

1.) As stated above, he's the only one who I think is really all that compelling/entertaining of a character on his own. In the case of the other brothers, it's more about others bouncing off of them, bar Shinon and Rolf, where there's a lot more give and take as far as development goes. Boyd just... stands on his own better, I guess.

2.) He's unique as a unit from a gameplay perspective. There's something like 300 playable cavs in the Tellius games, so Oscar loses a lot of his practical use. Right from the get-go, Titania is there, doing anything Oscar could possibly do, but better. And this continues on until the very late game. Same deal with Rolf. By about the time he becomes viable in PoR, Shinon shows up, making you question if it was worth it at all. He still has some use, but it's diminished. In RD, Rolf is almost completely obsolete because of Shinon. Boyd doesn't have these problems. No units really take his role, and he's the only unit of his class in PoR. Nolan is around for like, three chapters in RD to give him some competition, but he takes work to get going, while Boyd is ready to go pretty much all throughout the story. Plus, while having the same class, Boyd and Nolan fit two very different roles.