Uncle Jan?

SullyMcGully

So, who exactly is Jan? I know that he's one of the original members of the Black Fang, and he makes an appearance in "Night of Farewells" as well as being mentioned in a few support conversations. But I feel like he's made out to be more plot-important than he really is. Is there something I'm missing here? Did he have a cameo in Binding Blade, or some other special appearance I wouldn't know about? Was he supposed to be a playable Brigand? Or is he just an NPC who gets a little extra attention?

He's an NPC Black Fang who gets killed in the Gaiden where Sonia is fought.

He sees Sonia kill Brendan and is horrified by the fact that the Fang is filled with monsters.

He's not very important, all things considered.

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

He's an NPC Black Fang who gets killed in the Gaiden where Sonia is fought.

Nope, he survives the Gaiden. He's horrified on seeing Brendan die, and passes Nino an amulet that somehow was kept by her birth parents.

He doesn't matter much outside the Gaiden at all.

Uncle Jan took care of Nino, iirc.

He's unfortunately a coward, but he is loving towards Nino. He's an NPC, and his portrait is different too, so there's that.

He was originally going to be a playable character, but then the creators decided not to. He also gave the amulet of Nino's birth parents to her.

He survives the Gaiden. And that's all that I can remember about him from the top of my head.

I dunno why this sounds like some weird poem lol

• 5 weeks later...

Nino's line of thinking may have been along the lines of: "Jan is like a brother to Brendan; Brendan is like a father to me; therefore Jan is like an uncle to me."

That also works if Brendan and Jan were actually brothers, but they don't have to be.

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

I always assumed he was Brendan's younger brother, henche the whole ''uncle'' Jan thing. Though now that I think about it Nino calls lots of people uncle. 

"Uncle" can often be used as an affectionate title for older (though not grandfather-old) men who are close than mere "Mister".  Growing up, I called my dad's best friend Uncle, and currently my cousins' kids call me Uncle (I guess "Cousin" doesn't sound as respectful a title, maybe?)