Training Tower Quest Woes

Falcom

I am now finished with all the quests except armors, which I have accepted will never get done.  It occurs to me that my 3* Gwendolyn is +Def/-Spd and would certainly be worth leveling up, and with some luck a team of 2 Draugs and 2 Gwendys could probably pull it off but I don't think it's worth all that time and effort for three orbs.  Zephiel cannot be released soon enough...   

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I ended up getting a little bored while having to dump a bunch of stamina here and there to keep it from accumulating at inopportune times. As such, I trained up my 3* Subaki to level 35. I also made of a liar out of myself and deployed Shanna again for a comp of 3* Narcian, 4* Cherche, 3* Subaki and 4* Shanna whenever I was facing 1-2 reds and the rest in blues (or sometimes staves... maybe a single shuriken). Turns out Shanna's offense can be okay when she has someone else to both tank and soften up the enemy. This still doesn't really make her a very good unit (I mean, when you need your wingman to chip the enemy with several hits for you to be effective, you have are problems), but at least makes her passable for the quest in question since this allows her to set up Threaten Spd without taking a hit (since she often can't take two), then going in on the enemy Subaki has weakened with 3 hits. >.> This allows her to not only kill, but more importantly, kill two enemies, since Subaki can tank the other one and Shanna can Desperation her way to a safe finisher.

Anyway, end result is more flex to run GGGG or GGBB so that I'd have to do less rerolling.

9/15 on the armour quest, so there's an end in sight. Brave Effie + buffing Gwendy combo is doing some serious work, though it's still not guaranteed. There's been a couple times where the Draugs also soaked a bit of damage or chipped (my +Atk one even hit for 13 with a Steel Sword one time!). They mostly just sit around and be Spur Def bots, though.

After the thankless task of grinding up the free Subaki and Gunter to 4*, I was able to beat the Cavalry quest with 5* Cain/4* Ursula/4* Gunter/5* Priscilla.  What's more, I was dumb and forget to equip Hone Cavalry for the first 12 wins (:angry:), so I had to make do with decent team synergy as opposed to buffing cheese.  Thank goodness for Priscilla, as this quest would have been miserable had it been necessary to rely on Cecilia instead...

As for the Flyer quest, I'm fed up with -Atk Caeda failing to win even beneficial match-ups, so I'll probably just go Subaki/Shanna/Camilla/Cherche and just skip any maps with Greens.

I'm beginning to hate Frederick.  I've run into 3 today that obliterated my Armor team.  Currently at 5/15 on the Armor 10th Stratum Quest.  Once I've got this done, I plan to resume raising up Sharena, Alfonse, and Anna.  I've actually got enough Feathers to promote Sharena to 5*, now, I just want to raise her to level 40, first to maximize SP.

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I'm beginning to hate Frederick.  I've run into 3 today that obliterated my Armor team.  Currently at 5/15 on the Armor 10th Stratum Quest.  Once I've got this done, I plan to resume raising up Sharena, Alfonse, and Anna.  I've actually got enough Feathers to promote Sharena to 5*, now, I just want to raise her to level 40, first to maximize SP.

Frederick is so fun when you have a Frederick with a Gunter and Cecilia in Support. 10th statum didnt stand a chance.

I am starting to hate Eldigan. Whenever he shows up... I am in my 2 Lance Flier team ... and I need both of them to take him down... leaving one of them in heavy dmg ... making opponent and easy kill.

I've finally finished the cavalry quest. Holy crap that was annoying.

11 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I started to hate Frederick, but in a completely different way. He was the only cavalier left so I had to use him. But he keeps getting destroyed by mages which ruined a lot of my runs had he not been in the way. And I can't put him into a corner every time.

5 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

I am starting to hate Eldigan. Whenever he shows up... I am in my 2 Lance Flier team ... and I need both of them to take him down... leaving one of them in heavy dmg ... making opponent and easy kill.

This. Too much Eldigan.

One thing I hate the most, anyone with Wing of Mercy or Escape Route. Frederick and Eldigan might be bad enough but believe me when I say that I cannot stand those skills. Then again, it was my fault for not paying more attention. Completely underestimated the tenth stratum sometimes.

Edited by Falcom

1 hour ago, Ryuke said:

Frederick is so fun when you have a Frederick with a Gunter and Cecilia in Support. 10th statum didnt stand a chance.

58 minutes ago, Falcom said:

I've finally finished the cavalry quest. Holy crap that was annoying.

I started to hate Frederick, but in a completely different way. He was the only cavalier left so I had to use him. But he keeps getting destroyed by mages which ruined a lot of my runs had he not been in the way. And I can't put him into a corner every time.

This. Too much Eldigan.

One thing I hate the most, anyone with Wing of Mercy or Escape Route. Frederick and Eldigan might be bad enough but believe me when I say that I cannot stand those skills. Then again, it was my fault for not paying more attention. Completely underestimated the tenth stratum sometimes.

Yeah, Draug's damage output sucks too much to take out Frederick, and Fred's one of the few physical Greens Hector can't tank.  Effie and Sheena fare worse, but they aren't meant to take out Greens.

True Story. Rezzy.

Draug has to battle Hector 1vs1. And not get wreck with Ephraim on the otherside... 

and well. Draug cannot beat Hector fast enough and Ephraim pops up. (It's not like the other Armor can run in time to help)

4 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

True Story. Rezzy.

Draug has to battle Hector 1vs1. And not get wreck with Ephraim on the otherside... 

and well. Draug cannot beat Hector fast enough and Ephraim pops up. (It's not like the other Armor can run in time to help)

I wish Draug's attack was just a little bit better.  On paper, a fast Armor with a Brave Sword sounds nice, but even with WTA, he struggles to put a dent in anything.  I know with proper Skill inheritance, I could form him into a decent unit, but that's more effort than I'm willing to put into someone who's going straight to the bench after this Quest.  At least Hector can take out most Greens, which is supposed to be Draug's job.

On the bright side, it gave me a reason to raise Effie to level 40, so now I've got her ready if I ever want to use her in Arena.

51 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I wish Draug's attack was just a little bit better.  On paper, a fast Armor with a Brave Sword sounds nice, but even with WTA, he struggles to put a dent in anything.  I know with proper Skill inheritance, I could form him into a decent unit, but that's more effort than I'm willing to put into someone who's going straight to the bench after this Quest.  At least Hector can take out most Greens, which is supposed to be Draug's job.

On the bright side, it gave me a reason to raise Effie to level 40, so now I've got her ready if I ever want to use her in Arena.

Slam a Death Blow to him ... but i cannot afford it.

It is ... but Hector is carrying my team have Draug is doing his armor support. (What I learned in the 10th stratum: you dont win all your matches when you face 5* + Inheritance)

Imo: If you are Free2Play... I would rather gear up for 5* Team.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

A Silver Sword from 3-star Laslow is probably sufficient to make his offenses not suck horribly.

That's what I did, and it worked great. Axebreaker was also handy, since I had no interest in Lunge.

Stupid Klein and his stupid Death Blow, one-rounding my Mike.

EDIT three hours later: flier quest at 15/15, thank goodness. Time to level up my silly cavs~

Edited by Vaximillian

finished the cavs yesterday with 4* gunter, 4* sully, 4* cecilia, and 4* clarine. gunter was very useful support, but sully's sapphire lance is really what saved the day. clarine is my least favorite healer yet. ugh.

i'm making good progress on the infantry challenge, with my team of 5* takumi, 4* sharena, 4* olivia (underlevelled), and 4* azama  (also somewhat underlevelled).

i'm not looking forward to the fliers challenge, but i'm training up 5* camilla (+1), 4* caeda, 4* narcian, and 4* cordelia. not enough variety in the weapon types, but i just don't have many good fliers.

i only have two armors, so no hope for me there. :/ would've been pretty annoying to do anyway, though.

Edited by geozeldadude

And I am done with these fucking quests... Swapping in Shanna to help double down on Reds with Subaki and ignoring almost every line-up with green (excluding mages) was all that I needed to finish this off.

On the whole, I thoroughly appreciate what IS was going for with these challenges, and I think they worked well with Infantry and Cavalry units.  However, at this point in the game's life cycle, there simply isn't that much variety amongst Flying and Armored units (primarily from an offensive perspective in the case of flyers, they've already got varied stats/niches), which when combined with the inherent limitations of those two classes, made this a bit of a slog.  I look forward to getting quests like this in the future, though, when IS has introduced some more varied units like magic-wielding flyers/armored archers/any other red armor besides Draug.

In case anyone is interested, I used the following teams (all units have vanilla skills and were mostly lvl 40 at the time):

• Infantry - 5* Lucina (+Spd, -Res)/4* Olivia (+Def, -Atk)/5* Nowi (+HP, -Res)/5* Klein (+Spd, -HP)
  • Cavalry - 5* Cain (+HP, -Def)/4* Ursula (Neutral... Duh)/4* Gunter (Neutral)/5* Priscilla (+Def, -Res)
  • Flyers - 4* Subaki (Neutral)/4* Shanna (+HP, -Res)/5* Camilla (+Atk, -HP)/4* Cherche (+HP, -Atk)
  • Armors - 4* Draug (+HP, -Spd)/4* Effie (+Def, -Res)/5*Sheena (+Def, -HP)/5* Hector (+HP, - Atk)
Edited by red-and-soulless
Due to reaching my attachment limit, the "relevant" picture now live here: http://imgur.com/a/idS8V

Finally done with the Armored quests and the entire training tower quests. 

In all honesty, armored quest was quite a breeze compared to fliers. Then again, it depends on the units you have since I do not possess any 5☆ Flying unit and still trained about 5 of my 4☆ just to complete it (Real struggle, I tell ya!).

But thanks to Hector, who is a real gem in this quest, along with 4☆ Effie and 2 Sheenas who have Swap and Reciprocal Aid for support, I managed to get it done without spending a single Light's Blessing (Well, truth be told, I only have 1 Blessing left). 

Huh, I keep forgetting I can use Light's Blessing. The armour knight quest is pretty much impossible for me (2 Gwendolyns and 2 Draugs does not a good team make), but my cavalier team (Eliwood, Jagen, Ursula, Frederick) can usually cause some good damage on the enemies before dying.

Meanwhile, the flier quest is going by pretty smoothly, with a team of Cordelia, Palla, Caeda and Narcian/Shanna (switching them according to the enemy team), all of them 4 stars.

I DID IT!!! I FREAKING DID IT!!!!

That's it - my armour quest got done today. I got bored and used an orb (who knew light's blessings on the ninty website weren't unlimited? v.v) as the very last one, but it's done. A Sheena, a Gwendy and two Draugs did it for me. I five starred my Gwendy before I got Sheena in desperation, and I don't regret it. Ahhhhh, so happy to have got that done. I hated that. Without Hector and maybe Effie, that quest is just pure torture. 

5 more armor. 2 more cav

done flier.

done infantry.

Now the question is ... have u spent light blessing? I spend at good amount.. given frustration.. or I dont want to waste the "stamina"

6 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

5 more armor. 2 more cav

done flier.

done infantry.

Now the question is ... have u spent light blessing? I spend at good amount.. given frustration.. or I dont want to waste the "stamina"

I used up all of mine plus one orb in the end. It was the armour one that did me. Playing as armours is just no fun. Whoever thought of that quest is a sadist -.-

Complete the armour quest yesterday. Use a couple Light's Blessings on runs where I just barely lost someone because I was getting tired of that crap.

The teams I used were:

• Infantry: 4*+1 Olivia, 3* Lissa and two rotating members. This usually meant 5* Marth and 5* M!Robin because I'd be targeting heavy green and colourless setups, since the other teams wanted the other enemy comps more. I subbed in... I think 4* Selena, a few times when it was 100% axes.
  • Cavalry: 4* -Atk Sully, 4* Ursula, 4* -Atk Eliwood,  3* Clarine. I tried to bring in Stahl or Fred here and there for more mixed comps, but they just weren't able to handle the heat. Eliwood was mostly a buff bot because he's so squishy that even he and Stahl couldn't really win against a 3-axe comp. This team fought pretty much all swords, though they could also get away with having staves in the mix. At one point I was raising both Gunter and Jagen in case I found I needed the horse buffs, but I finished the quest before either got past level 25 (plus I'd need to have unlocked them, which I preferred not to do).
  • Fliers: 4* Micalis, 3* Narcian, 4* -Atk Camilla, 4* Cherche. Basically target all lances, but could fight a staff or blue tome thanks to using Camilla as bait. This extended to being able to fight 2-3 of them once Brave Axe Cherche was on the team. I initially had 4* Shanna instead of Micalis and 4* Beruka instead of Cherche, but Beruka's damage output was too low and Shanna was useless on her own. I was later able to flex a bit more after raising a 3* Subaki to tank for Shanna, allowing me to face one, maybe two swords/red tomes.
  • Armour: 4* Effie, 4* Gwendolyn, 3* Draug, 3* +Atk Draug. The most annoying one. This team was prone to losing even favourable match-ups due to attrition, so I had to put significant resources into getting them through. Aside from the 2 LBs, I had to unlock Gwendy and the Draug who started as a 2*. Leveling them was really slow, so that wrecked my stamina quite often. Despite having Gwendy's insane buff, Effie still fell short of closing things out, so I had to have her eat a 3* Donnel for a Brave Lance (which helped things substantially). Gwendy also had to eat a Stahl for Swap to help with their total ass for mobility and Def +2 because why not (putting her at 38 Def, which could actually become 44 with both Draugs beside her!). The Draugs were mostly buff bots, though sometimes they could duel and distract the odd enemy sword or attract fire from staves (the latter seemed to prefer attacking him, despite the lancers have nearly as low Res and being injured, for whatever reason).

Some of this was neat. The infantry was almost no different from the norm, but the cavalry had huge mobility and still some level of flexibility, while the fliers had mobility (despite terrible flexibility). Then there's the armours, who had almost nothing going for them. Bulk does jack shit if they enemy still out-damage-races you. I prefer the way they set up the current Lunatic quests. If they wanted to up the ante there, they could make it require two specific weapon types (or extend it to unit types, such as needing to beat something with at least one armour and one cavalry on the team). Alternatively, they give armours and fliers much more unit variety (a touch more for cavs couldn't hurt, either).

for some reason i was assuming you couldn't use a light's blessing. but i'm a hoarder so i'd still be hoarding all of mine anyway. :/

back to the topic, it's taking a lot of time to level all these units up to 40, but on the up-side, at least they'll be ready to go if there's another all-cav, all-flier, etc. quest.

31 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

5 more armor. 2 more cav

done flier.

done infantry.

I didn't use any. I've used two in the past, both for the final lance mastery mission, but I decided not to make a habit of it here because I knew I'd need each team to be able to pull off plenty of clears without them and I ended up never remembering that they even existed anyway.