Not sure what skill to inherit or who to inherit it from? Read this! (Please read before posting)

MrSmokestack

While searching for another B!Roy I got a Ryoma this morning, but a +HP/-SPD one.. I have been wanting him for quite some time now, so despite his boons I want to try to make him work. Anyone has experience with and/or an opinion on bulding him with Heavy Blade 3 and Quick Riposte 3 (and some highcost special)? He should be decent on defense, kinda comparable to Ike. Or would a more standard Fury 3 / Vantage 3 build still be workable despite his -SPD?

Now I'm at it; also have a 5* Seliph with +HP/-DEF in the waiting room. Really have no clue what to do with him; I feel like his DEF is his only redeeming quality, and getting -4 on DEF hits him pretty hard.

Lastly, any suggestion for 5* Fae? I have both -ATK/+DEF and +HP/-ATK (yes, I'm swimming in hitpoints..), not really sure which combination is preferable. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Oakheart said:

While searching for another B!Roy I got a Ryoma this morning, but a +HP/-SPD one.. I have been wanting him for quite some time now, so despite his boons I want to try to make him work. Anyone has experience with and/or an opinion on bulding him with Heavy Blade 3 and Quick Riposte 3 (and some highcost special)? He should be decent on defense, kinda comparable to Ike. Or would a more standard Fury 3 / Vantage 3 build still be workable despite his -SPD?

Now I'm at it; also have a 5* Seliph with +HP/-DEF in the waiting room. Really have no clue what to do with him; I feel like his DEF is his only redeeming quality, and getting -4 on DEF hits him pretty hard.

Lastly, any suggestion for 5* Fae? I have both -ATK/+DEF and +HP/-ATK (yes, I'm swimming in hitpoints..), not really sure which combination is preferable. 

He does not have Ike's bulk, so I would use Ike over Ryoma. I would bench Ryoma and keep him around and merge him into a better copy when you summon one in the future.

If you really want to use Seliph, give him a regular Brave Sword and Death Blow. If Death Blow is too expensive, then go with Fury.

I would use the Fae [+Def, -Atk] and give it Triangle Adept and Lightning Breath. It should still be able to kill most blue units.

I cannot decide on a good A skill for neutral Brave Roy.  Swift Sparrow seems like it'd be the clear cut favorite for him, but I don't really have that to spare.  I feel he definitely needs speed, so that'd leave Fury, Darting Blow, Life and Death, or Steady Blow.  I'm leaning strongly away from LaD, as he's JUST bulky enough to take a hit without fear of death (as long as I'm not stupid about it) and wouldn't want to sacrifice that.  Not sure if Fury really provides enough speed, otherwise that'd seem like the easy choice.

On 9/11/2017 at 0:51 AM, XRay said:

Soren and +Spd Cecilia would appreciate Gronnblade.

Is +Spd the preferred stat for Cecilia (for Horse Emblem, at least)?  Had a +Spd/-HP one for a little while but was waiting on a +Atk because I thought it'd be better (and had other leveling priorities).

On 9/11/2017 at 8:18 PM, DefaultBeep said:

Would Olwen be better off with Desperation, a -breaker skill, or something else? I currently have her with Dire Thunder, Life and Death 3, and Iceberg (which I later realized wouldn't be as good with Life and Death, but too late now), though I'm debating giving her a Blárblade+ as well at some point for variety. She's +Spd/-Res (again, kinda hurts Iceberg, but I have no 3-turn Special fodder right now), if that matters.

I'm running Lancebreaker on mine and I feel it's basically a necessity.  Let's you kill fliers (who generally have too much resistance and speed to otherwise be killed) and Effie (whose B skill otherwise prevents a normal "double").  As for Blarblade, isn't Ursula generally seen as a better user of it, since she wouldn't have to give up a near-unique brave weapon for it?  And, unless the Olwen is +Atk, Ursula has the higher attack stat while only being slightly slower.

2 minutes ago, GinRei said:

I'm running Lancebreaker on mine and I feel it's basically a necessity.  Let's you kill fliers (who generally have too much resistance and speed to otherwise be killed) and Effie (whose B skill otherwise prevents a normal "double").  As for Blarblade, isn't Ursula generally seen as a better user of it, since she wouldn't have to give up a near-unique brave weapon for it?  And, unless the Olwen is +Atk, Ursula has the higher attack stat while only being slightly slower.

I've started noticing that while running her for fun on the Tempest Trial, mainly on the 7-map version. I had originally considered Desperation since (assuming I'm right about how it works with Braves) hitting 4 times in a row sounded great, but that hasn't really been a problem, while lance users have been. She'll definitely be getting that free 4-star Narcian in a few days.

With Blárblade, it's pretty much just something I might do if I get bored. Ursula would likely be a better choice, but I hardly ever use her anymore, and I don't really care for her that much compared to Olwen and Reinhardt. The only unit I'd really consider spending 20,000 to give a Blárblade+ to would probably be Linde, but that would require 1: getting a Linde at all, and 2: replacing her own unique tome, which could also be built around. I guess I do have a 5-star Mae, who I also like, but she's -Atk, so I'm not gonna bother with building her very seriously until I get something better. So basically, I'm not really concerned with giving anyone Blárblade+ right now anyway, and I probably won't be for a while.

+Atk -HP or +HP -Speed for Sheena? I might run Armor Emblem + QR, no DC or Wary Fighter.

Also, what's a good B skill for Brave Axe Frederick? Drag Back?

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Would blue or green tome breaker be better for a TA raven Boey? (+atk,-res)

I would go with Green Tomebreaker, because he shouldn't be taking that much damage from blue mages and he can finish them off on player phase if he doesn't one shot them anyway. Green Tomebreaker prevents Nino/Cecilia (Horse Emblem) from doubling, and with full buffs, a double from one of those can spell death.

Edited by Tragonight

5 hours ago, GinRei said:

Is +Spd the preferred stat for Cecilia (for Horse Emblem, at least)?  Had a +Spd/-HP one for a little while but was waiting on a +Atk because I thought it'd be better (and had other leveling priorities).

Unless the mage in question has really low Attack or high Speed, Blade mages should almost always go with +Spd. You get +18 Attack with a Hone Cavalry buff and +30 Attack from both cavalry buffs, so most units need more Speed to maximize their damage output by doubling more units. Giving them more Attack does nothing if they cannot double and break tougher units.

3 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Would blue or green tome breaker be better for a TA raven Boey? (+atk,-res)

Raven mages work better on Enemy Phase with Quick Riposte. I do not recommend using Boey to tank green mages. His resistance is too low.

1 hour ago, Tragonight said:

+Atk -HP or +HP -Speed for Sheena? I might run Armor Emblem + QR, no DC or Wary Fighter.

Also, what's a good B skill for Brave Axe Frederick? Drag Back?

Enemy Phase units should always go with +Atk if they are not running Triangle Adept or Raven builds. Raising the kill count is far more important than reducing the death count since you have other units to cover each other's weaknesses.

I would use Axebreaker for Frederick.

11 minutes ago, XRay said:

Enemy Phase units should always go with +Atk if they are not running Triangle Adept or Raven builds. Raising the kill count is far more important than reducing the death count since you have other units to cover each other's weaknesses.

I would use Axebreaker for Frederick.

Why Axebreaker? Aside from Cherche, are there any notable match-ups that he can win with it?

Just now, Tragonight said:

Why Axebreaker? Aside from Cherche, are there any notable match-ups that he can win with it?

Breakers increases kills. Very few units can survive a quad attack unless it is from a weaker color.

Frederick +Atk -Res
Brave Axe, Bonfire
Death Blow
Axe Enemies
Player Phase 8:1:14
Player Phase [Axebreaker] 22:0:1

The only person surviving is BH!Ike.

Okay, my thought process: the Nephenee banner is bait, I have 230+ F2P orbs, I'm gonna try for a 2nd Ike since CYL ends in a day, I can throw 100 or so orbs sniping greens and I'll still have a sizable stock of orbs for an eventual good Jugdral/Tellius banner.

End result: 2 orbs left and 5* Sonya+Peri to show for it, heeeeeellllll yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh!!!! BUT...

I also got a potential 4* 40+8 Beruka out of it, and I love her so I finally have an excuse to build her. I have +Spd-Res, +Atk-Spd and +Def-Spd as my best IVs, which is the best to build? I was thinking +Atk since she's gonna be stuck with a Killer Axe for a while and her Atk stat could really use some help. 

2 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

Okay, my thought process: the Nephenee banner is bait, I have 230+ F2P orbs, I'm gonna try for a 2nd Ike since CYL ends in a day, I can throw 100 or so orbs sniping greens and I'll still have a sizable stock of orbs for an eventual good Jugdral/Tellius banner.

End result: 2 orbs left and 5* Sonya+Peri to show for it, heeeeeellllll yeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh!!!! BUT...

I also got a potential 4* 40+8 Beruka out of it, and I love her so I finally have an excuse to build her. I have +Spd-Res, +Atk-Spd and +Def-Spd as my best IVs, which is the best to build? I was thinking +Atk since she's gonna be stuck with a Killer Axe for a while and her Atk stat could really use some help. 

I would go with [+Atk, -Spd] for a Triangle Adept build against lances. [+Def, -Spd] also works, but I agree that she needs more attack to help her kill things.

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

I would go with [+Atk, -Spd] for a Triangle Adept build against lances. [+Def, -Spd] also works, but I agree that she needs more attack to help her kill things.

Yeah, thought so. What about her weapon? Even if I were to ever pull an Amelia to giver her Slaying Axe+, I can't really count on it and I'm willing to throw 20k feathers at someone to give her a max might axe. Emerald Axe? Silver Axe? Plain old Killer for Ignis nuking? Legion's Axe? Something like Emerald Axe-EarthBoost (which I just realized I DON'T have after sniping greens with 230+ orbs, which means I'll need another A-skill)-QR/Axebreaker-Ignis seems workable. On one hand I really want her to do more than just counter lances, on the other hand I'm not sure she can at all.

3 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

Yeah, thought so. What about her weapon? Even if I were to ever pull an Amelia to giver her Slaying Axe+, I can't really count on it and I'm willing to throw 20k feathers at someone to give her a max might axe. Emerald Axe? Silver Axe? Plain old Killer for Ignis nuking? Legion's Axe? Something like Emerald Axe-EarthBoost (which I just realized I DON'T have after sniping greens with 230+ orbs, which means I'll need another A-skill)-QR/Axebreaker-Ignis seems workable. On one hand I really want her to do more than just counter lances, on the other hand I'm not sure she can at all.

I do not recommend using her for normal Arena, but if you are, what set you give her depends on her teammates. If she has good teammates, then I would just give Beruka Bonfire, Triangle Adept, and Quick Riposte, so she can sit back and handle just lance units. If you actually need Beruka to do some killing, then she can go with [Brave Axe, Bonfire, Death Blow, Axebreaker] as a Player Phase unit, but Cherche does that set so much better.

You can give her an Enemy Phase set so she can specialize against melee opponents, but she would not be able to take on ranged units who stray too far from their allies. I do not recommend giving her Distant Counter though since it gives enemies a chance to activate their Special and break Beruka's defenses. I also do not think most people would use her to tank ranged units anyways since archers and mages can easily kill her.

Beruka +Atk -Spd
Brave Axe, Bonfire
Death Blow, Axebreaker
Player Phase 97:20:51
Player Phase [Melee] 50:20:30

Beruka +Atk -Spd
Killer Axe, Ignis
Fury, Quick Riposte
Enemy Phase 64:21:51
Enemy Phase [Melee] 64:4:32
Enemy Phase [Distant Counter] 91:46:31

For Arena Assault, you do not have to deck your units out, so I would just invest in her minimally with Bonfire/Ignis, Triangle Adept 2, and Quick Riposte 1/Lancebreaker 1.

Edited by XRay

On 9/11/2017 at 8:08 PM, XRay said:

If she is using Blárblade, then definitely Desperation. If she is using Dire Thunder, I would go with Lancebreaker so she can quadruple attack better and break Effie's Wary Fighter.

On 9/11/2017 at 10:10 PM, DefaultBeep said:

I'll probably give her Lancebreaker until I get more Odins to spare, then. Which may take a while since I plan to save my orbs for a while, but I do have Lancebreaker 3 and Desperation 3 fodder in the meantime.

A bit late, but I personally prefer Desperation over Lancebreaker for Olwen's B skill even with Dire Thunder. Olwen is squishy enough to die to counterattacks, and Wary Fighter Effie is someone else's business.

22 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

A bit late, but I personally prefer Desperation over Lancebreaker for Olwen's B skill even with Dire Thunder. Olwen is squishy enough to die to counterattacks, and Wary Fighter Effie is someone else's business.

No problem, I'm always happy to get some advice. I haven't given her either one yet (decided to wait for the free Narcian so I wouldn't have to upgrade a 3-star), so Desperation would be easier to give her right now. Her still kinda okay Res after -Res, LaD3, and Summoner Support (24 total) should be good enough for getting her into its range. I may wait to give Lancebreaker at all until after the upcoming banner, just in case Oscar give Lancebreaker 3 at 4-stars.

I do actually have another Olwen-related question, although I'm not sure how easily it can be answered. Would it be better to give her an Attack +1 Seal, a Speed +1 Seal, or would it not really matter? After +Spd, LaD3, Dire Thunder, and Summoner Support, she hits 42 Atk and 39 Spd. Does reaching either 43 Atk or 40 Spd give her any more kills? I doubt either one changes much, but I'm curious to know for sure.

9 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

I do actually have another Olwen-related question, although I'm not sure how easily it can be answered. Would it be better to give her an Attack +1 Seal, a Speed +1 Seal, or would it not really matter? After +Spd, LaD3, Dire Thunder, and Summoner Support, she hits 42 Atk and 39 Spd. Does reaching either 43 Atk or 40 Spd give her any more kills? I doubt either one changes much, but I'm curious to know for sure.

You can always use a matchup calculator to check for minute stat differences like +1 Atk and +1 Spd, including overrides like Fury 3 and merges as needed.

What I think? You can never have too much Atk, but you can in fact have too much Spd. Breakers can negate your Spd tier completely while few things can't be overcome with a high enough Atk smacking your opponent twice.

At a glance, Atk +1 is better for her actually.

4 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

You can always use a matchup calculator to check for minute stat differences like +1 Atk and +1 Spd, including overrides like Fury 3 and merges as needed.

What I think? You can never have too much Atk, but you can in fact have too much Spd. Breakers can negate your Spd tier completely while few things can't be overcome with a high enough Atk smacking your opponent twice.

At a glance, Atk +1 is better for her actually.

I should use those more often, I keep forgetting that those are out there.

I messed around with one myself, and yeah, it looks like both give a few more kills, but Attack +1 gives just a few more than Speed +1. And if I can get another Olwen to merge and have her at +1 along with Attack +1, she'll get the most she can without more merges, since she'll get +1 Speed from that first merge. Thanks for the help! Slowly but surely, I will make my Olwen just as usable if not more so than my Reinhardt...

2 hours ago, DefaultBeep said:

Mine is +Atk with LaD3, and even after Horse Buffs and Lancebreaker causing 4 hits, there were some lancers (usually fliers) that would survive with 1-2 health.  Had to give her the +Atk seal to guarantee basically any kill that wasn't a "why would you ever even think of trying this" sort of exchange.  That said, this was before supports, so that may not be necessary anymore.

47 minutes ago, GinRei said:

Mine is +Atk with LaD3, and even after Horse Buffs and Lancebreaker causing 4 hits, there were some lancers (usually fliers) that would survive with 1-2 health.  Had to give her the +Atk seal to guarantee basically any kill that wasn't a "why would you ever even think of trying this" sort of exchange.  That said, this was before supports, so that may not be necessary anymore.

Summoner Support plus the Attack +1 Seal pretty much just gives her the equivalent of +Atk, I believe. Which makes this unfortunate to hear, but it does make the choice between the two seals easier to make. 

On 9/13/2017 at 0:58 PM, DefaultBeep said:

The only unit I'd really consider spending 20,000 to give a Blárblade+ to would probably be Linde, but that would require 1: getting a Linde at all, and 2: replacing her own unique tome, which could also be built around

Linde is IMO the best Blarrblade user besides maybe Ursula (who 1) benefits from mount buffs and 2) does not have a prf Brave tome that you might want to use instead of Blarrblade; Olwen does use Blarrblade better but she doesn't need it).  Yes, she does have a Prf but it's mostly a support role type deal; useful and high might, but better for Tempest Trials and Squad/Arena Assault/Chain Challenge where the healing makes a difference over other PvE modes or arena.

Just now, Refa said:

Linde is IMO the best Blarrblade user besides maybe Ursula (who 1) benefits from mount buffs and 2) does not have a prf Brave tome that you might want to use instead of Blarrblade; Olwen does use Blarrblade better but she doesn't need it).  Yes, she does have a Prf but it's mostly a support role type deal; useful and high might, but better for Tempest Trials and Squad/Arena Assault/Chain Challenge where the healing makes a difference over other PvE modes or arena.

That's good to hear, honestly. I'll definitely build her as one if I ever get her. Having a semi-healer build is cool, and I'll probably still work on one for her as a secondary, but I'd much rather make her as strong as possible as a priority. Shame that Mae doesn't seem to be quite as good as Linde overall though, especially since I actually have a terrible Atk bane Mae.

5 hours ago, DefaultBeep said:

I should use those more often, I keep forgetting that those are out there.

I messed around with one myself, and yeah, it looks like both give a few more kills, but Attack +1 gives just a few more than Speed +1. And if I can get another Olwen to merge and have her at +1 along with Attack +1, she'll get the most she can without more merges, since she'll get +1 Speed from that first merge. Thanks for the help! Slowly but surely, I will make my Olwen just as usable if not more so than my Reinhardt...

+1 Spd helps only against opponents with exactly that Spd value that pushes you to a double attack, whereas +1 Atk helps against opponents that you're missing a kill on by 1-4 HP.

I personally only see +1 Spd as useful if there is a specific opponent you want to get a double attack on (or prevent a double attack from).

2 hours ago, Refa said:

Reinhardt and Olwen are both better than Ursula at using Blarblade (the first by virtue of hitting harder, the second by virtue of being faster). The main difference is that Dire Thunder is "good enough" so Blarblade isn't as much of an improvement for them compared to upgrading from Blarwolf so it's more economical to give it to Ursula if you don't have nearly limitless resources. It's basically the difference between taking a character from 10/10 to 11/10 and taking a character from 6/10 to 10/10.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Reinhardt and Olwen are both better than Ursula at using Blarblade (the first by virtue of hitting harder, the second by virtue of being faster). The main difference is that Dire Thunder is "good enough" so Blarblade isn't as much of an improvement for them compared to upgrading from Blarwolf so it's more economical to give it to Ursula if you don't have nearly limitless resources. It's basically the difference between taking a character from 10/10 to 11/10 and taking a character from 6/10 to 10/10.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at.  The only mounts who use it better than Ursula can make do without it.