Not sure what skill to inherit or who to inherit it from? Read this! (Please read before posting)

MrSmokestack

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, XRay said:

I personally prefer Fury. Close Defense is not bad, but I prefer Fury so she can take on higher merged enemies. With Moonbow and Quick Riposte, she should be able to take on most lance units.

Alright, thanks. Hinatas are becoming pretty sparse in my barracks these days,  but if I get any more, she'll be getting one of them. Now to see if I still have any Moonbow fodder...

Would Breath of Life 3 be a good skill to give neutral PA Olivia? I'm thinking about making her a pseudo-healer for Tempest Trials, since her weapon already has its own Breath of Life 3, and they should stack. I'm also thinking about giving her either the Breath of Life seal or the Distant Defense seal, to add to the ones she already has; I would probably just switch between the two seals depending on whether she's in TT or another mode.

On 10/12/2017 at 4:10 PM, Poimagic said:

Why would I do that when Julia already does that job, but better. Any other suggestions?

In my opinion, Sonya is a much better Reinhardt counter. She is fast enough to double pimped out Reinhardts without the need for Quick Riposte so she can run Guard to neuter Moonbow-Quickened Pulse variants.

If you do not need additional Reinhardt or blue mage counters for Arena Assault, her default set is fine for Player Phase, although you may want replace Mirror Strike and patch up her Speed with Fury or preferably Life and Death/Swift Sparrow. You may also want to slap a Breaker on her since she may need help doubling certain units.

On 10/12/2017 at 9:30 PM, Spectraman said:

What are good skills to inherit for a +Spd -HP Inigo and a -Spd +Res Shigure....yah I am trying...

Inigo can run a Raven set to counter BH!Lyn. With -HP, Inigo cannot counter Moonbow-Quickened Pulse Reinhardts unless you give him some buffs or HP+ Sacred Seal.

On 10/12/2017 at 11:19 PM, DefaultBeep said:

Would Breath of Life 3 be a good skill to give neutral PA Olivia? I'm thinking about making her a pseudo-healer for Tempest Trials, since her weapon already has its own Breath of Life 3, and they should stack. I'm also thinking about giving her either the Breath of Life seal or the Distant Defense seal, to add to the ones she already has; I would probably just switch between the two seals depending on whether she's in TT or another mode.

That is fine. She can heal 21 HP per Dance which is pretty good. She also should have an easier time healing Bonus allies since there is no cap to her healing potential, unlike Falchion medics with Reciprocal Aid.

On 10/13/2017 at 3:30 PM, Spectraman said:

What are good skills to inherit for a +Spd -HP Inigo and a -Spd +Res Shigure....yah I am trying...

For Inigo, you could go with the Triangle Adept, Bowbreaker and Gronnraven build as a check for Reinhardt/Brave Lyn. +Spd is really good for him, and you can always patch up his -HP with HP+3 sacred seal (or a Fortify Def/Res if you want a buff bot). Last slot can be Hone Attack/Hone Speed/whatever stat booster your team needs.

As for Shigure, maybe Triangle Adept + Blarraven? Extra protection against colourless units can be good, even if he doesn't have the best stats/bane. B slot can be Wings of Mercy and C slot your Hone of choice. If you want B skill to be his vanilla skill, then C slot can be Hone Attack/Speed. B. Tome Valour is great for training blue tome users though.

Quick question- Hawkeye is best used as a Player Phase unit right? I have a +Atk/-Def, a +Def/-Res and +Spd/-HP one. +Atk seems like the best one but has the worst losses if against melee users (I guess he likes his Res though so this ain't too bad I think?).

I'm guessing Brave Axe fixes that though, but what's a good B skill? Axebreaker or G Tome Breaker?

Edited by mcsilas

26 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

For Inigo, you could go with the Triangle Adept, Bowbreaker and Gronnraven build as a check for Reinhardt/Brave Lyn. +Spd is really good for him, and you can always patch up his -HP with HP+3 sacred seal (or a Fortify Def/Res if you want a buff bot). Last slot can be Hone Attack/Hone Speed/whatever stat booster your team needs.

As for Shigure, maybe Triangle Adept + Blarraven? Extra protection against colourless units can be good, even if he doesn't have the best stats/bane. B slot can be Wings of Mercy and C slot your Hone of choice. If you want B skill to be his vanilla skill, then C slot can be Hone Attack/Speed. B. Tome Valour is great for training blue tome users though.

Quick question- Hawkeye is best used as a Player Phase unit right? I have a +Atk/-Def, a +Def/-Res and +Spd/-HP one. +Atk seems like the best one but has the worst losses if against melee users (I guess he likes his Res though so this ain't too bad I think?).

I'm guessing Brave Axe fixes that though, but what's a good B skill? Axebreaker or G Tome Breaker?

I think he works better with an Enemy Phase Triangle Adept build to counter lance units and wall/counter blue mages, but he is usable as a Player Phase unit.

For a Player Phase build, he should run [+Atk, -Spd/Res, Brave Axe, Iceberg(-Spd)/Bonfire(-Res), Death Blow, Axebreaker] since he is super slow anyways and Resistance does not matter in a melee match up unless you are facing dragons.

Edited by XRay

24 minutes ago, XRay said:

I think he works better with an Enemy Phase Triangle Adept build to counter lance units and wall/counter blue mages, but he is usable as a Player Phase unit.

For a Player Phase build, he should run [+Atk, -Spd/Res, Brave Axe, Iceberg(-Spd)/Bonfire(-Res), Death Blow, Axebreaker] since he is super slow anyways and Resistance does not matter in a melee match up unless you are facing dragons.

Oh that's an interesting setup. Still I only have those 3 Hawkeyes for now- maybe I'll just pretend the -Def is -Spd and go with Iceberg for now. 

This might be skill related...

I was thinking about partnering Nino up with somebody, and give that somebody hone spd from Eirika. However, I am not sure who.  

Would a dancer be the best option? Somehow I suppose so but the I am losing out hone atk.

Maybe Ike? 

You can give your Dancer/Singer Hone Speed on their C slot and Fortify Def or Fortify Res in their Sacred Seal Slot. You can pick one other teammate to run Hone Attack and the other Fortify Sacred Seal. Nino will basically receive a 20/4/4/4 (or 16/4/2/2) buff if properly positioned.

13 hours ago, XRay said:

That is fine. She can heal 21 HP per Dance which is pretty good. She also should have an easier time healing Bonus allies since there is no cap to her healing potential, unlike Falchion medics with Reciprocal Aid.

Alright, cool. That'll be especially helpful if Seliph is a bonus unit in the assumed Tempest Trial coming up, so I can run her as a dancer/healer in place of my Falchion healers.

This is less of a big question and more just asking for opinions, but after I finish leveling the Distant Defense seal to level 3 (it's at 2 right now), should I focus on the Breath of Life seal, or the Fortify Res seal? My thoughts on them are that BoL could be given to PA Olivia (and maybe Linde if I ever get her) to heal 7 more HP per combat, while Fortify Res would be given to Eirika to effectively give any of my -blade mages 2 more Atk and 2 more Res every turn. I'm especially torn between these because of the potential TT, which would be great to have the extra healing for; but, I really want to get and use Tailtiu from the upcoming banner, and since she's a -blade mage at base, she could benefit from the effects of Fortify Res 3 immediately. Or perhaps getting both of them to level 2 before upgrading either to level 3 would be better. Any thoughts?

Edit: I guess for another PA Olivia question, what would be a good idea for her Special? Either Moonbow, Iceberg, or Sacred Cowl seem like good options from what I can tell; Moonbow for its quick charge, Iceberg since Res is her better defensive stat (although 28 Res still isn't terribly outstanding), and Sacred Cowl to help keep her alive since she's a dancer, and Sacred Cowl specifically would always activate if she gets doubled by a ranged unit. I have fodder for all of them, I'm just not sure which to prioritize.

Edited by DefaultBeep

5 hours ago, DefaultBeep said:

Alright, cool. That'll be especially helpful if Seliph is a bonus unit in the assumed Tempest Trial coming up, so I can run her as a dancer/healer in place of my Falchion healers.

This is less of a big question and more just asking for opinions, but after I finish leveling the Distant Defense seal to level 3 (it's at 2 right now), should I focus on the Breath of Life seal, or the Fortify Res seal? My thoughts on them are that BoL could be given to PA Olivia (and maybe Linde if I ever get her) to heal 7 more HP per combat, while Fortify Res would be given to Eirika to effectively give any of my -blade mages 2 more Atk and 2 more Res every turn. I'm especially torn between these because of the potential TT, which would be great to have the extra healing for; but, I really want to get and use Tailtiu from the upcoming banner, and since she's a -blade mage at base, she could benefit from the effects of Fortify Res 3 immediately. Or perhaps getting both of them to level 2 before upgrading either to level 3 would be better. Any thoughts?

Edit: I guess for another PA Olivia question, what would be a good idea for her Special? Either Moonbow, Iceberg, or Sacred Cowl seem like good options from what I can tell; Moonbow for its quick charge, Iceberg since Res is her better defensive stat (although 28 Res still isn't terribly outstanding), and Sacred Cowl to help keep her alive since she's a dancer, and Sacred Cowl specifically would always activate if she gets doubled by a ranged unit. I have fodder for all of them, I'm just not sure which to prioritize.

Either Sacred Seal is fine. I personally would go for Fortify Res for more damage, since I prefer to prioritize killing things as soon as possible. The difference between 42 HP [2*(7+7+7)] and 34 HP [2*(7+7+3)] for healing at the end of the map and the start of the next map is not that big in my opinion.

I would recommend defensive Specials, but ranged units cannot use Defensive Specials. Either Moonbow or Iceberg is fine. I prefer Moonbow for its guaranteed activation, but Iceberg deals a ton more damage if you do not mind waiting.

Edited by XRay

5 minutes ago, XRay said:

Either Sacred Seal is fine. I personally would go for Fortify Res for more damage, since I prefer to prioritize killing things as soon as possible. The difference between 42 HP [2*(7+7+7)] and 34 HP [2*(7+7+3)] for healing at the end of the map and the start of the next map is not that big in my opinion.

I would recommend defensive Specials, but ranged units cannot use Defensive Specials. Either Moonbow or Iceberg is fine. I prefer Moonbow for its guaranteed activation, but Iceberg deals a ton more damage if you do not mind waiting.

Yeah, that sounds solid to me. Maybe one day Eirika will be able to buff all four stats just by standing next to a -blade tome unit at the start of the turn... until then, having her buff +3 Atk, +4 Spd, and +4 Res (no Def because mine has Reposition) will have to do.

Oh, they can't? I guess I should've tried to inherit Sacred Cowl first before asking then, heh. Moonbow would be cheaper at least, since I believe I have a 4-star with it that I could use, while I only have a 3-star Niles. Plus she'll get to use it anytime she's in combat with a ranged unit that can retaliate, so that seems helpful to have for a mainly supportive unit. Thanks for the help!

Does Close Def stack with Bonfire/Ignis? 

Background: Solving the CC11/12 I've for the first time really used my Firesweep Tana (+SPD -RES, Firesweep+, LnD2, Hit&Run, Reposition, Moonbow), usually I just rely on Cordelia. Now I had the thought to give Tana a second skill set. 

My Idea: If Close Def doesn't stack with Bonfire, I could give her a defensive special. I would pull for at least two Sigurds for Close Def. With Vidofnir (+7), Close Def (+6), a possible close Def Seal (+6), Fortify Flyers (+6) she could reach crazy 50 DEF against physical melee attacks. 

She wouldn't die to any green +10 vanilla melee attacker! The sweetest blue wall in FEH with actually some offensive power. In most cases, I could throw her in a bunch of enemy melees and watch what would happen. 

13 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Does Close Def stack with Bonfire/Ignis? 

Background: Solving the CC11/12 I've for the first time really used my Firesweep Tana (+SPD -RES, Firesweep+, LnD2, Hit&Run, Reposition, Moonbow), usually I just rely on Cordelia. Now I had the thought to give Tana a second skill set. 

My Idea: If Close Def doesn't stack with Bonfire, I could give her a defensive special. I would pull for at least two Sigurds for Close Def. With Vidofnir (+7), Close Def (+6), a possible close Def Seal (+6), Fortify Flyers (+6) she could reach crazy 50 DEF against physical melee attacks. 

She wouldn't die to any green +10 vanilla melee attacker! The sweetest blue wall in FEH with actually some offensive power. In most cases, I could throw her in a bunch of enemy melees and watch what would happen. 

not 100% but Close/Distant Def are spur effects that activate in battle if attacked by the correct oponent. I do think they stack.

7 minutes ago, Hilda said:

not 100% but Close/Distant Def are spur effects that activate in battle if attacked by the correct oponent. I do think they stack.

The calculator says the same. That means she could have one-rounded BK in lunatic/7 TT, if she had Ignis active and swordbreaker. 

I don't know if it would be a practical skill set in many situations though ... Her team would be mostly Cherche, Cordelia and Elincia. But since she has got guidance, she could be valuable also as a tank in a mixed team. 

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

Oh wait, they should stack? Maybe I should give PA Olivia Iceberg after all... 17-20 (without or with the Distant Def seal) extra damage sounds pretty nice to have on retaliation.

Hi guys, I have some fodder that I'm not sure which characters would benefit using it:

-Wings of Mercy 3 (Maybe PA!Azura?)

-2x Fortify Fliers

-Gronnblade (not +) and Draw Back from a 4* Nino

-Hone Spd 3

-BoL 3 (This one is for my passive healer)

-Dragon Fang

And then, by promoting to 4*:

-Glacies

-Vantage 3

-Lightning Breath

-Hone Res 3 or Dragon Fang

-2x Desperation 3 or Iceberg

-Darting Blow 3

-Bonfire

-2x Hone Def 3 or Luna

-Hone Cavalry (Maybe Cecilia for changing just Gunter for her on my Horse Emblem?)

-Atk +3

-Poison Strike 3

@Javi Blizz

Short Answer:

Spoiler

Gronnblade- Cecilia or any fast green mage, like Soren.

Lightningbreath- Ninian or Fae, preferably Fae

Glacies- Ignore

Dragon Fang- Ignore

Bonfire- See Below

Draw Back- Any ranged unit

Darting Blow- See below

Atk+- Ignore

Wings of Mercy- Any Dancer or other supporting unit, like a healer. Good with Armored units in Arena Defense.

Vantage- Enemy phase units with Distant Counter and high Atk but middling defenses.

Poison Strike- Ignore

Fortify Fliers- Offensive flier units, like Hinoka, Cordelia, or Elincia

Hone Spd- See below

Breath of Life- Units with other HP-restoring passive skills

Hone Cavalry- Defensive cavalry units, like Xander, Raven Cecilia, and Camus

Fortify Res or Dragon Fang?- Fortify Res

Fortify Def or Luna?- Luna

Desperation or Iceberg?- Desperation

Explanations:

Spoiler

Gronnblade- Blade tomes are best used on mages with a high Spd stat, as even -Atk mages can overcome their handicap with a +16 boost when properly buffed

Lightningbreath- Nowi and Adult Tiki start with it already, and Fae can make good use of it to counter Reinhardt more conveniently.

Glacies- Use Iceberg instead.

Dragon Fang- Use Draconic Aura instead.

Bonfire- If Bonfire does more damage for the unit than any of the other proc skills. 32 Def is a good benchmark since it will translate into 16 extra damage.

Draw Back- While this skill has fallen out of favor with Reposition being the preferred assist, having a variety of assists can still be useful and is in fact recommended.

Darting Blow- This is generally a budget option, as Life and Death, Fury, and Swift Sparrow are better for their increase to attack, but the default users of it can run it over them to save resources and SP. Celica is another notable user of it, but again the aforementioned A Passives are usually better.

Atk+- This is also a budget option, mostly for Brave weapon users like Cherche that do not benefit from an increase of Spd, when Death Blow is not available.

Wings of Mercy- Wrathful Staff and Dazzling Staff are competing options for healers, but Wings is a fine tech choice too. I personally prefer Escape Route since it gives the Dancer free movement to help whoever, but it is much riskier.

Vantage- While letting the enemy attack you isn’t always a safe scenario, especially if attacking first over your opponent won’t give you special charge in time, this skill can find niche use with all-counter units like Hector, Takumi, and Camus. Hardy Bearing, however, has made this skill less reliable than before.

Poison Strike- This has grounds for being the worst skill in the game. While it can be helpful to level up weaker units for grinding, healers cannot inherit it for use alongside Pain, wasting a deployment slot when Trainee + Healer + Dancer + Dancer is usually the optimal setup. You should always ORKO whatever you are attacking, meaning this skill rarely gets a chance to even proc.

Fortify Fliers- Offensive flier units want defensive flier units to take hits for them, not be the ones getting hit.

Hone Spd- This is a generic C passive like Hone Atk, and mostly depends on your team. It is generally less useful than a straight Atk buff though, which everyone can use.

Breath of Life- Linde, as well as any of the seasonal Dancers, can stack multiple Breath of Life’s between their weapon, C Passive, and Sacred Seal. Otherwise, the healing is small enough that it should just be ignored.

Hone Cavalry- Defensive units are usually not suited to initiating, so they would rather provide the buff to units like Reinhardt, Blade Cecilia, or Brave Lyn, that will be doing most or all of the Player Phase work.

Fortify Res or Dragon Fang?- Fortify Res is only available at 4* on one unit other than Sophia: Soren. The rest are locked to 5* or become movement buffs that are incompatible with other units. All proc skils other than Aether, Galeforce, and Black Luna are also available at 4*. Meaning the inheritance pool for that skill is much wider. This isn’t to say Fortify Res is a good skill to inherit in general, though; it’s not.

Fortify Def or Luna?- Luna. The only other source of that skill that can be reliably summoned is Catria. Luna is also just a better skill in general compared to Fortify Def.

Desperation or Iceberg?- Are you inheriting from Shanna? Desperation, no questions asked. She is the only source of that skill at 4*, and Iceberg can be inherited from other, more disposable units like Niles.

@Reloaded Sigurd will appreciate Aether if you’re using him in arena for extra points, but otherwise you should use another proc skill. The Distant Def seal pairs well with Sigurd’s B passive too.

Hope this helps.

I asked this on the other questions thread, but I'll ask here too just to make sure: is it best to give a Desperation-build -blade mage like Tailtiu Life and Death 3 over something like Fury? Specifically, mine is +HP/-Res, so I'm not sure if bringing her magic bulk back up to normal is worth the loss of two points in Atk and Spd. I'm also not sure what to give her for a Special; any Special on a -blade mage would probably be overkill anyway, and neither of her bulk stats are very impressive, so would something like Moonbow be best for its short charge? 

7 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

@DefaultBeep Life and Death would be preferred in this situation. Fury is easier to use Desperation with, but LaD provides the extra Spd to give Desperation more coverage.

Her special shouldn’t matter. Aether for points and Moonbow for a existant proc skill.

Alright, cool, thanks. If it's better, then I have no problem spending the extra feathers for it, since I'd like to make her as good as I can. Can't wait for 54/44 offense during the Tempest! I don't care too much for Arena score (hovering at tier 18-19 for the orbs is enough for me), so I'll throw Moonbow on her; I won't make it a huge priority though, since she should be overkilling most things regardless.