Not sure what skill to inherit or who to inherit it from? Read this! (Please read before posting)

MrSmokestack

32 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

I asked this on the other questions thread, but I'll ask here too just to make sure: is it best to give a Desperation-build -blade mage like Tailtiu Life and Death 3 over something like Fury? Specifically, mine is +HP/-Res, so I'm not sure if bringing her magic bulk back up to normal is worth the loss of two points in Atk and Spd. I'm also not sure what to give her for a Special; any Special on a -blade mage would probably be overkill anyway, and neither of her bulk stats are very impressive, so would something like Moonbow be best for its short charge? 

Depends on play style, but in my opinion, if you can afford it, almost always go with Life and Death over Fury when using Desperation. The extra 2 Speed makes her Desperation that much more powerful, and I prefer her to specialize in the nuking role.

Fury makes it somewhat easier to safely drop into Desperation range and it gives you some interesting options, like using Nino +Res with Fury to tank Reinhardt (Moonbow-Hone Cavalry Buff-Quickened Pulse still kills Nino I think) in her first round of combat and then she can rampage through the rest of the battle with near impunity.

I prefer Moonbow since she is more likely to activate it. It does not matter too much though.

Edited by XRay

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, XRay said:

Depends on play style, but in my opinion, if you can afford it, almost always go with Life and Death over Fury when using Desperation. The extra 2 Speed makes her Desperation that much more powerful, and I prefer her to specialize in the nuking role.

Fury makes it somewhat easier to safely drop into Desperation range and it gives you some interesting options, like using Nino +Res with Fury to tank Reinhardt (Moonbow-Hone Cavalry Buff-Quickened Pulse still kills Nino I think) in her first round of combat and then she can rampage through the rest of the battle with near impunity.

I prefer Moonbow since she is more likely to activate it. It does not matter too much

Heh, I've been saving my feathers just in case her speed would be good enough for LaD3. 1 less Spd than Linde and Nino seemed pretty nice (better than Mae, for sure...), but I wanted to make absolutely sure before spending the feathers. I've had a lot of fun with LaD3/Desperation +Spd Olwen, so I'd say this fits my playstyle more than Fury would. An extra 2 Spd from Summoner Support should help patch up the difference in Spd nicely, too ;)

Y'know, I don't think I've actually upgraded a unit to 5-star for any skill other than Life and Death 3, which I've now done at least three times. It's a shame that so many units that I like want such an expensive skill.

Yeah, sounds like what I thought. I just like having a full kit on a unit when I can, even if the Special won't really make much of a difference in the end. I'll probably wait for a 4-star Palla or something to show up first though, since I don't think it's really worth the 2,000 for just an okay Special.

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

@Javi Blizz

Short Answer:

Hide contents

Gronnblade- Cecilia or any fast green mage, like Soren.

Lightningbreath- Ninian or Fae, preferably Fae

Glacies- Ignore

Dragon Fang- Ignore

Bonfire- See Below

Draw Back- Any ranged unit

Darting Blow- See below

Atk+- Ignore

Wings of Mercy- Any Dancer or other supporting unit, like a healer. Good with Armored units in Arena Defense.

Vantage- Enemy phase units with Distant Counter and high Atk but middling defenses.

Poison Strike- Ignore

Fortify Fliers- Offensive flier units, like Hinoka, Cordelia, or Elincia

Hone Spd- See below

Breath of Life- Units with other HP-restoring passive skills

Hone Cavalry- Defensive cavalry units, like Xander, Raven Cecilia, and Camus

Fortify Res or Dragon Fang?- Fortify Res

Fortify Def or Luna?- Luna

Desperation or Iceberg?- Desperation

Explanations:

Hide contents

Gronnblade- Blade tomes are best used on mages with a high Spd stat, as even -Atk mages can overcome their handicap with a +16 boost when properly buffed

Lightningbreath- Nowi and Adult Tiki start with it already, and Fae can make good use of it to counter Reinhardt more conveniently.

Glacies- Use Iceberg instead.

Dragon Fang- Use Draconic Aura instead.

Bonfire- If Bonfire does more damage for the unit than any of the other proc skills. 32 Def is a good benchmark since it will translate into 16 extra damage.

Draw Back- While this skill has fallen out of favor with Reposition being the preferred assist, having a variety of assists can still be useful and is in fact recommended.

Darting Blow- This is generally a budget option, as Life and Death, Fury, and Swift Sparrow are better for their increase to attack, but the default users of it can run it over them to save resources and SP. Celica is another notable user of it, but again the aforementioned A Passives are usually better.

Atk+- This is also a budget option, mostly for Brave weapon users like Cherche that do not benefit from an increase of Spd, when Death Blow is not available.

Wings of Mercy- Wrathful Staff and Dazzling Staff are competing options for healers, but Wings is a fine tech choice too. I personally prefer Escape Route since it gives the Dancer free movement to help whoever, but it is much riskier.

Vantage- While letting the enemy attack you isn’t always a safe scenario, especially if attacking first over your opponent won’t give you special charge in time, this skill can find niche use with all-counter units like Hector, Takumi, and Camus. Hardy Bearing, however, has made this skill less reliable than before.

Poison Strike- This has grounds for being the worst skill in the game. While it can be helpful to level up weaker units for grinding, healers cannot inherit it for use alongside Pain, wasting a deployment slot when Trainee + Healer + Dancer + Dancer is usually the optimal setup. You should always ORKO whatever you are attacking, meaning this skill rarely gets a chance to even proc.

Fortify Fliers- Offensive flier units want defensive flier units to take hits for them, not be the ones getting hit.

Hone Spd- This is a generic C passive like Hone Atk, and mostly depends on your team. It is generally less useful than a straight Atk buff though, which everyone can use.

Breath of Life- Linde, as well as any of the seasonal Dancers, can stack multiple Breath of Life’s between their weapon, C Passive, and Sacred Seal. Otherwise, the healing is small enough that it should just be ignored.

Hone Cavalry- Defensive units are usually not suited to initiating, so they would rather provide the buff to units like Reinhardt, Blade Cecilia, or Brave Lyn, that will be doing most or all of the Player Phase work.

Fortify Res or Dragon Fang?- Fortify Res is only available at 4* on one unit other than Sophia: Soren. The rest are locked to 5* or become movement buffs that are incompatible with other units. All proc skils other than Aether, Galeforce, and Black Luna are also available at 4*. Meaning the inheritance pool for that skill is much wider. This isn’t to say Fortify Res is a good skill to inherit in general, though; it’s not.

Fortify Def or Luna?- Luna. The only other source of that skill that can be reliably summoned is Catria. Luna is also just a better skill in general compared to Fortify Def.

Desperation or Iceberg?- Are you inheriting from Shanna? Desperation, no questions asked. She is the only source of that skill at 4*, and Iceberg can be inherited from other, more disposable units like Niles.

@Reloaded Sigurd will appreciate Aether if you’re using him in arena for extra points, but otherwise you should use another proc skill. The Distant Def seal pairs well with Sigurd’s B passive too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the answer, I’ve found it very useful! :D

I've got a +Speed -Res Celica, +Attack -Speed Inigo, and a +Speed -Res Priscilla to build, and I don't really know how to go about it. I could see Prisicilla working with +HP 5, Live to Serve and a buff that fits the situation, and Inigo with Gronnraven+ and Bowbreaker, but Celica seems like she can build practically anything and she'd be good. What are some of the common builds for these Heroes, especially for Celica?

1 minute ago, Thane said:

I've got a +Speed -Res Celica, +Attack -Speed Inigo, and a +Speed -Res Priscilla to build, and I don't really know how to go about it. I could see Prisicilla working with +HP 5, Live to Serve and a buff that fits the situation, and Inigo with Gronnraven+ and Bowbreaker, but Celica seems like she can build practically anything and she'd be good. What are some of the common builds for these Heroes, especially for Celica?

This is what my Celica has:
+Atk -Res
Ragnarok, Reposition, Moonbow
Life and Death, Renewal/Desperation/Swordbreaker, Savage Blow

I am pretty much aiming for the same build as you. He still needs to inherit some of the following skills though.
+Res -HP
Gronnraven, Reposition/Swap, Moonbow
Triangle Adept/Fury, Quick Riposte/Bowbreaker

I do not think I gave my Priscilla anything important besides cavalry buffs, since she is not going to face much combat. I do not think HP+5 does much since she will still get doubled a lot at 32 Speed by nukes. If you really like her, you can try the following:
Priscilla
Speed +3, Guard/Wings of Mercy/Escape Route

After months of focusing on summoning green (many orbs were wasted on other colors because green is a shy color I guess) I have at last obtained a second Hector! His nature is not as good as my first, so I now have an opportunity to inherit away some very desirable and rare skills, especially the delicious Distant Counter. My question is, who makes a great candidate for Distant Counter? All the units with DC weapons tend to be more physically oriented, so I'd like to know who could become a good hi-res mage counter-killer.

The other thing to consider is that Hector is the sole source of Goad Armor. Assuming this is the last Hector I get for the foreseeable future, would it not be a better idea to try and inherit both DC and Goad Armor onto another armor? Maybe Sheena? She can tank magic better than Gwendolyn, Draug, Effie, or Zephiel, but her attack is hard to work with.

Right now, my short list for candidates is as follows:

-Titania (pretty good anti-blue res-tank)

-Lloyd (I already have 4 DC sword units, but all of them have crappy res)

-Sheena

-Camilla (an expensive pet project)

-I'm open to other suggestions

To those of you fortunate enough to have used Hector for DC fodder before, who'd you feed him to? How has it worked out for you?

1 hour ago, Omegaprism said:

After months of focusing on summoning green (many orbs were wasted on other colors because green is a shy color I guess) I have at last obtained a second Hector! His nature is not as good as my first, so I now have an opportunity to inherit away some very desirable and rare skills, especially the delicious Distant Counter. My question is, who makes a great candidate for Distant Counter? All the units with DC weapons tend to be more physically oriented, so I'd like to know who could become a good hi-res mage counter-killer.

The other thing to consider is that Hector is the sole source of Goad Armor. Assuming this is the last Hector I get for the foreseeable future, would it not be a better idea to try and inherit both DC and Goad Armor onto another armor? Maybe Sheena? She can tank magic better than Gwendolyn, Draug, Effie, or Zephiel, but her attack is hard to work with.

-Sheena

To those of you fortunate enough to have used Hector for DC fodder before, who'd you feed him to? How has it worked out for you?

I'm not so much a fan of armors, therefore I can't say much about Sheena. Titania was my first choice to give DC to and it has proven to be a good choice. She counterkills blue mages, but also many green mages and healers. 

Actually I'm fortunate to think of a second candidate, since I have another spare Hector. I also considered Lloyd, but moreso Eliwood who has got considerable RES, movement bonus and could profit from horse buffs. 

Now I'm waiting for the calculator to update, because I want to compare Sigurd and Eliwood with DC. My Sigurd is +RES -DEF, only drawback is his B-Skill would be useless in most situation with DC (because the only brave mages are blue). 

Edited by mampfoid

7 hours ago, Omegaprism said:

-Sheena

I would not worry too much about inheriting Goad Armor. Goad Armor is decent, but I find Ward Armor to be better to help armor teams survive since they have mobility issues unless you have Amelia.

@XRay I know you usually suggest to keep all Hectors for Arena Defense, but I want to build another DC mage bait.  What do you say to my dilemma if to give DC to Sigurd (or Eliwood) or not? I really would like to know your opinion on that matter. 

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

My +RES +0 vanilla Sigurd just survived an +7 +ATK DB3 QP/Moonbow Reinhardt with Hone Cav in Arena. He was left with 7 HP which means he would have survived also the +10 version. Also miracle has proven to be handy if someone needs to survive a Black Luna. 

Now i'm not sure anymore if I want to give Sigurd DC ... 

5 hours ago, mampfoid said:

@XRay I know you usually suggest to keep all Hectors for Arena Defense, but I want to build another DC mage bait.  What do you say to my dilemma if to give DC to Sigurd (or Eliwood) or not? I really would like to know your opinion on that matter.

If you can get a lot of defense wins every week, then you do not need to use triple Hector defense team unless you want to teach fellow players about Hector or something.

Both Eliwood and Sigurd are good options for Distant Counter. Sigurd is a better overall mage tank with his Divine Tyrfing and Crusader's Ward, but Eliwood is a better green mage counter in my opinion. The only downside with Distant Counter is that it nullifies Crusader's Ward since Sigurd will counter attack instead of taking consecutive hits.

8 minutes ago, XRay said:

If you can get a lot of defense wins every week, then you do not need to use triple Hector defense team unless you want to teach fellow players about Hector or something.

Both Eliwood and Sigurd are good options for Distant Counter. Sigurd is a better overall mage tank with his Divine Tyrfing and Crusader's Ward, but Eliwood is a better green mage counter in my opinion. The only downside with Distant Counter is that it nullifies Crusader's Ward since Sigurd will counter attack instead of taking consecutive hits.

mmm not entirely, Crusader's Ward still works on Reinhardt, Olwen and Brave Bow users. Makeing him excellent on checking all ranged units, even if Distant Counter hits in between. And since the majority of the meta evolves aroudn Reinhardt and Brave Bow users it will get quite alot of use.

35 minutes ago, XRay said:

Last week my defense win count has been impressive for my standards and also today I got my first win after some hours. Since PA!Azura isn't a bonus unit anymore, I had to switch Elincia out for Sigurd (after the first win without bonus). I'm curious how that will work out. 

I tried DC on Sigurd (and distant defense 3 seal) and you are right, he was killed by a heavily buffed Nino (who survived with 1 HP). But also @Hilda was right, with Bonfire he kills Reinhardt on EP and survives most brave bows (when not getting a quad). This week there are many Celicias in arena and he could kill quite a lot. 

Thanks for your input, both of you - very much appreciated!

Edited by mampfoid

So, I'm trying to make a build for Alvis, but I have no other ideas other than basically LoD3, Desperation and his standard C skill/a C skill that debuffs enemy units' speed since his sucks, or Fury, Recover, his standard C skill and Ardent Sacrifice for a strong hitting healbot with support utility.

Yeah, I'm not good at this.

1 minute ago, Rapier said:

So, I'm trying to make a build for Alvis, but I have no other ideas other than basically LoD3, Desperation and his standard C skill/a C skill that debuffs enemy units' speed since his sucks, or Fury, Recover, his standard C skill and Ardent Sacrifice for a strong hitting healbot with support utility.

Try having fury instead a LoD3, due to already having decent resistance to use iceberg. Ardent Sacrifice works for him to recover the damage used by fury and heal allies, plus his Recover Ring keeps him healthy. The c-slot is up to you, but Def Ploy already works for him. 

Try, Fury, Recover Ring,  Def Ploy, Ardent Sacrifice, and Iceberg for a support unit that can heal allies, a debuff enemies heavily.   

6 hours ago, Rapier said:

It depends on what you want him to do. His niche is similar to Delthea in that he is an offensive support unit. You can give him an all out offensive build with [Rauðrblade, Moonbow, Life and Death, Swordbreaker/Desperation], but that is a waste of his default Valflame in my opinion.

I would go with something like this for Arvis:
Valflame, Ardent Sacrifice, Moonbow
Swift Sparrow, Recovery Ring, Def Ploy

Fury and Darting Blow are good substitutes for Swift Sparrow. Darting Blow patches up his Speed while Fury allows him to use Valflame more effectively.

If you really do not need his support role, then go ahead and give him a Blade build. There is no point in sticking him with Valflame if you are not going to use him that way.

Now I have the hard decision who shall inherit which skills of my replicas.
My plans:

• Henry shall either pass tomebraker to Nino or Tharja or ignus to Subaki.
  • Barst shall give brave axe to Cherche.
  • I have two more (waste) Subakis who shall pass quick respote to someone who's rather slow. My Chrom is pretty slow. Arthur or Hawkeye might benefit as well, if they can't oneshot.
  • Who can benefit from vantage? Originally I thought to wait till I get Olwen or Rinehart who have brave tomes. However tomes can't attack in close combat, so they wouldn't benefit from it as much as they would do in FE5.

1. Henry is the only source of G Tomebreaker 3. And even then, it works better on units like Raven Cecilia and Naga Julia who are built to check other units. Nino can use it on arena defense to check other enemy Nino’s, but Tharja definitely doesn’t need it.

2. Don’t forget to pass Reposition and Spur Atk. You can get Brave Axe+ (Raven, Camilla) and Reposition (Selena) from other sources, but Barst is one of two units who has Spur Atk 3.

3. I would prioritize putting Quick Riposte on all-counter units before units that can’t counter at 2-range. Chrom’s preferred build is player phase-oriented with Brave Sword, which rules him out. Arthur does fine with his native Lancebreaker, which leaves Hawkeye. If you plan on taking off Death Blow in favor of another skill, Hawkeye does have balanced defenses to use Quick Riposte well, and with his Killer Axe can proc Ignis in one round of combat if he is doubled.

3. Vantage works best on units with both a high base Atk and the ability to counter at either range. It is poor on Brave weapon users as they do not get consecutive attacks from their weapon when countering.

Hope this helps.

5 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Would Bowbreaker, Gale Dance, or Wings of Mercy be a better B-slot for a +hp,atk dancer Inigo?

Bowbreaker for offense, and Wings of Mercy for a defense team. The Spd boost from Gale Dance comes pretty late and isn’t as good as an attack boost.

20 hours ago, Poimagic said:

So, what are the best builds for Anna and Sharena? 

depends what you are facing?

I just inherited all almost all available 4* SI to Anna and farmed 9000+ SP and she has almost all learned now ._.

20 hours ago, Poimagic said:

So, what are the best builds for Anna and Sharena? 

Desperation goes well with Annas Noatun and her high SPD stat. I also found draw back useful on her. In the current TT she beams near my mage (Arvis) and draws him out of danger. 

As her special I run Astra, but I guess Iceberg would be more fitting. 

@Hilda what skills does your Anna usually equip? Where do you use her? In your green Arena team for bonus? 

Edited by mampfoid

55 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Desperation goes well with Annas Noatun and her high SPD stat. I also found draw back useful on her. In the current TT she beams near my mage (Arvis) and draws him out of danger. 

As her special I run Astra, but I guess Iceberg would be more fitting. 

@Hilda what skills does your Anna usually equip? Where do you use her? In your green Arena team for bonus? 

i actually only use her for Grand Hero battles. I thought i might as well give Alfonse Anna and Sharena all skills. Saves me the hassle to learn skills and go on when makeing a vid/challening GHB with the Askr trio. If I use her in arena it really depends on the Team. i ran her once with Miracle Shield pulse and 3x Infantery pulse + Reciprocal Aid which makes her a bit annoying to deal with Naotun. Havent run any of the askr trios for a while now in Arena.

Ok, I suddenly have like 6 characters to build, but let's get started with these swordies first (yeah, I am one of those who don't have a crap ton of them yet); this is both for Arena (I usually hover around tier 17-18) and I guess PvE content as well:

- Eirika: She would be part of a Tailtiu+PA!Azura+Eirika core and her role would be to keep Tailtiu buffed and to erase greens from existence as much as possible; as such I'm giving her Moonbow and Triangle Adept which should allow her to kill many a Hector (without Moonbow she can't do it, unless she gets buffed by Azura), both Tailtiu and Azura will have Drive Spd 2 so doubling shouldn't be a problem; now, how mandatory is Rally Def/Rally Res in her assist slot? Also is Swordbreaker really her best B option? Seems kinda boring...

- Ayra: ok, let me get wild: Growing/Blazing wind as her special, what do you think? I'm actually pretty baffled that with the introduction of SB, HB and now Ayra's "Swift Blade" no one is mentioning the AoE skills: their main drawback is their high cooldown, but the aforementioned skills take care of that and they are basically additional attacks that don't increase the enemy's special cooldown (at least I think) and now we even have Hardy Bearing to prevent such skills from activating Vantage and the likes; question is: do skills like Swift Sparrow influence the damage they do? Does Ayra really want a different seal than Hardy Bearing (Deflect Magic?)?  And what would be best: Growing or Blazing Wind? Maybe another AoE? Does she still want Desperation with them? Are they still that bad of an option? They seem like they would be cool in GHB/TT at the very least

- Sigurd: as a F2P would you merge the three I have + give him Summoner Support for a 47/35/35/40/23 statline (the best one I have is -Atk+Def) or would you keep two of them for Close Def + Spd Smoke SI purposes? I don't even know if he would be used in a cavalry team: he can't replace Brave Roy in any way and I don't really have other cavs I care enough to train...