Not sure what skill to inherit or who to inherit it from? Read this! (Please read before posting)

MrSmokestack

1 minute ago, XRay said:

Should be fine, but there are better candidates out there in my opinion, like Ayra and FH!Celica. Ares should also ideally be +Spd. -Spd hurts him quite a bit since he does not have the massive bulk that armor units got.

Ares
Dark Mystletainn, Bonfire
Distant Counter, Quick Riposte
Close Def
Enemies +5, +Spd, Moonbow, Fury
Enemy Phase [+Spd, -Res] 114:109:26
Enemy Phase [+Spd, -Res, 6/6/0/0] 166:56:27
Enemy Phase [+Spd, -Res, 0/0/6/6] 150:68:31
Enemy Phase [+Spd, -Res, 6/6/6/6] 185:37:27
Enemy Phase [+Def, -Spd] 114:115:20
Enemy Phase [+Def, -Spd, 6/6/0/0] 144:85:20
Enemy Phase [+Def, -Spd, 0/0/6/6] 144:77:28
Enemy Phase [+Def, -Spd, 6/6/6/6] 171:57:21
Enemy Phase [+Def, -Spd, 6/0/6/6] 159:71:19

You may also want to swap out Dark Mystletainn with Wo Dao for much better performance if you do not mind the slight drop in scoring.

Ares +Spd, -Res
Wo Dao [Spd], Bonfire
Speed +3
Enemy Phase 148:53:48
Enemy Phase [6/6/0/0] 188:30:31
Enemy Phase [0/0/6/6] 163:32:54
Enemy Phase [6/6/6/6] 198:16:35

Ares +Def, -Spd
Wo Dao [Def], Bonfire
Close Def
Enemy Phase 137:81:31
Enemy Phase [6/6/0/0] 147:60:42
Enemy Phase [0/0/6/6] 158:55:36
Enemy Phase [6/6/6/6] 161:43:45
Enemy Phase [6/0/6/6] 172:52:25

And with Vantage and Draconic Aura/Bonfire? I think that it would be better than QR. What do you think?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Nicolu-Chan said:

And with Vantage and Draconic Aura/Bonfire? I think that it would be better than QR. What do you think?

It could sort of work, but it is situational and risky. Vantage ruins Ares' first round performance, and that makes the whole team vulnerable to Wings of Mercy ambushes, since most enemies would survive with low HP. It should be fine once you set it up, but getting there is the problem.

Similar to Blade-Close Counter-Vantage, it is more suited for Arena Assault and Arena defense than Arena offense in my opinion.

Edited by XRay

So i have been sitting on a +10 Roy for a while with a refined weapon and i am kinda lost on what to do with him. I have/had different builds for him, but there was allways something missing and i cant put the finger on it. He just doesnt perform as well as the other +10 units i have. I dont know if its the Teamcomposition i havent foundt yet that works best for him or if its the builds.

This is the current built i am using (yes an Alm had to die, sue me):

He can take out dragons np, i mean thats his job, but he kinda fails against most other melees. Well Windsweep helps there because i can chip them get charges for moonbow to finish them off in enemy phase, but its jsut ugh i dont know.
Ignore the C Skill its atm very flexible

Edited by Hilda

@Hilda Roy surely is a difficult case and I like the build you gave him. While Windsweep is good for chipping very dangerous threats, it prevents him to kill any melee but dragons on his first PP. If he is not on a Infantry Pulse team, his special won't proc on first PP. 

Perhaps you could switch it to Aether and give him Steady Breath? He would keep his free first attack on PP and proc Aether at his first encounter on EP, healed and ready to tank/kill a second unit on EP. 

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

@Hilda Roy surely is a difficult case and I like the build you gave him. While Windsweep is good for chipping very dangerous threats, it prevents him to kill any melee but dragons on his first PP. If he is not on a Infantry Pulse team, his special won't proc on first PP. 

Perhaps you could switch it to Aether and give him Steady Breath? He would keep his free first attack on PP and proc Aether at his first encounter on EP, healed and ready to tank/kill a second unit on EP. 

That sounds very good but without Close defense, speed built Corrins and Nowi destroy him on enemy phase. he now survives them with single digit numbers.

The refine of his weapon is just garbo ._.

16 hours ago, Hilda said:

He just doesnt perform as well as the other +10 units i have. I dont know if its the Teamcomposition

Roy is pretty slow and he does not have the bulk to stomach being doubled. If you want him to perform more similarly to an Enemy Phase Ayra or Ryoma, it is better to drop Binding Blade for Wo Dao [Spd], although he will lose the anti dragon niche and still perform pretty far below Ayra and Ryoma.

For me, team composition is usually more about balancing color and maybe balancing physical and magical damage; incorporating effective damage is usually an after thought. While all colors are viable, so Roy being red is not an issue, his lack of damage output and thin Def is a big problem. In my opinion, Roy is not the type of unit that can carry a team like Ayra or Nowi, he is more similar to Raven mages and units like Caeda who can counter threats that endanger your MVPs.

58 minutes ago, XRay said:

Roy is pretty slow and he does not have the bulk to stomach being doubled. If you want him to perform more similarly to an Enemy Phase Ayra or Ryoma, it is better to drop Binding Blade for Wo Dao [Spd], although he will lose the anti dragon niche and still perform pretty far below Ayra and Ryoma.

For me, team composition is usually more about balancing color and maybe balancing physical and magical damage; incorporating effective damage is usually an after thought. While all colors are viable, so Roy being red is not an issue, his lack of damage output and thin Def is a big problem. In my opinion, Roy is not the type of unit that can carry a team like Ayra or Nowi, he is more similar to Raven mages and units like Caeda who can counter threats that endanger your MVPs.

he isnt supposed to carry the Team. I allways asign 2-3 things a unit has to handle, so they can desl with everything. 

Roys task is to handle dragons, infantery sword and axe users and axe atmorers. He kinda fails on the atmorers and sword users... well it depends who he is faceing

the refine is seriously lacking either a 2. effective against armorers or a wrath effect or a reduction in cool down. Its just garbo

3 hours ago, XRay said:

it is better to drop Binding Blade for Wo Dao [Spd], although he will lose the anti dragon niche and still perform pretty far below Ayra and Ryoma.

He loses more than that. Refined Binding Blade also has Bracing Stance, +4 Def/Res when attacked, and a >= 50% HP threshold Quick Riposte. There's also scoring, I guess.

2 hours ago, Hilda said:

He kinda fails on the atmorers and sword users...

Armors are kind of stupid in general nowadays with Berserk Armads, Black Luna, Bold Fighter, and Vengeful Fighter existing. All of them lead to massive damage one way or another and armors with built-in Distant Counter can run Steady/Warding Breath to mess with you even more. There's also how many of them, especially the recent ones, are very min-maxed and how ranged armors didn't suffer the same BST drop compared to ranged cavalry, infantry, and fliers and the melee counterparts.

I'd also make an argument for sword units too where it's kind of becoming like the main series with swords generally being not just more abundant, but stronger too. Or it's mainly Ayra and the Black Knight/Zelgius with their unique specials that have low cooldown. You could still just run Swordbreaker on him if you want Roy to have an easier time against them.

2 hours ago, Hilda said:

the refine is seriously lacking either a 2. effective against armorers or a wrath effect or a reduction in cool down. Its just garbo

Eh, I think it's a good refined weapon even though something like Bracing Breath, +4 Def/Res and +1 special charge when attacked, would have been a better unique refinement effect and what people figured would have made him really good since he could freely use Distant Counter and combine it with a Breath skill through his Binding Blade. At the moment, Bracing Stance and a >= 50% HP Quick Riposte are still pretty good. Anti-dragons is an added bonus. The >= 50% Quick Riposte effect is probably the strongest part about it since the only units who can have an effect like that with such a health range are armors who have Vengeful Fighter. The only problem, though, is that Roy's defenses aren't that great. Without Binding Blade, they're average at best. He also has a bit too much HP that could have went into anything else like having higher, raw defenses or more attack or speed. You could do that by getting a +Def, -HP Roy so he, at +10, can have 33/32 base defenses which become 37/36 when attacked with refined Binding Blade, but then you'd have to figure if you wanted more attack or speed from him that a +Atk or +Spd Roy would have had.

I've seen people talk about running Distant Counter, Moonbow, Wrath on Roy with unique refined Binding Blade to make the most out of him as an enemy phase unit, but that assumes you have an extra Hector and Nephenee for Distant Counter and Wrath.

For me and seeing as you have Close Def 3 on him, I'm wondering if you have considered running Guard on Roy. The main issue is that its low threshold at >= 80% HP, 41/51 HP for your Roy, but with unique refined Binding Blade and Close Def 3 as his A passive and seal, your Roy would sit at 45/45 defenses when attacked by melee units. A unit with no WTA would need 56 total attack to drop him out of Guard 3's range with one hit or 48 to double him out of it, with WTD, they would need 69 total attack for one hit or 63x2 and with WTA, 47 total attack or 42x2. It's just an idea to make use of unique refined Binding Blade's Bracing Stance and >= 50% Quick Riposte and trying to slow down or prevent specials from breaking through Roy.

4 hours ago, Hilda said:

Roys task is to handle dragons, infantery sword and axe users and axe atmorers. He kinda fails on the atmorers and sword users... well it depends who he is faceing

Yeah, handling swords is not going to work out well. Even Ayra cannot counter herself unless she Spd stacks or run Swordbreaker.

He should have no problem with green armor units if he runs Triangle Adept, except maybe Beserk Armads.

Maybe you can try out Triangle Adept-Renewal/Guard-Close Def? That should give him sustainability to handle green armor units and red dragons, although you may want to double check Berserk Armads-Bold Fighter and Y!Tiki that Spd stacks.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, Kaden said:

He loses more than that. Refined Binding Blade also has Bracing Stance, +4 Def/Res when attacked, and a >= 50% HP threshold Quick Riposte. There's also scoring, I guess.

He loses far more for missing out on Spd, and he can run Quick Riposte on his B slot to double, at least according to the calculator. Getting his Spd up prevents him from being doubled.

25 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:
  • Who are good candidates for the Chill res skill? I'm trying to find a use for it.

Units that don't depend on another B-skill and are on a team with a nuke that deals RES damage. 

What is a good special to skill inherit to a Groom Marth that is going to be pretty much support/player phase only? 

Same question also applies to LA!Eliwood who is going to be used in the same manner.

7 minutes ago, Liliesgrace said:

What is a good special to skill inherit to a Groom Marth that is going to be pretty much support/player phase only? 

Same question also applies to LA!Eliwood who is going to be used in the same manner.

You can go Aether or Galeforce for points if you do not think he will see much combat. If you cannot afford those two, you can go for one of the area of effect Specials.

If you think you will use him in combat a lot, I recommend going with Moonbow. You may also want to Spd stack him to ensure he doubles more often.

I've been staring at a list of all the Axe units available, and I just can't figure this out...

Who should I give Ardent Service+ to?

I at first thought Air Azura [+Atk -Def], but she has Hone Fliers and is almost always fielded and next to (in AA) ToD!Nowi, who also has Hone Fliers, so it'd only be a good idea if I were to field her with other units.

I could give it to my PA!Azura [+Atk -Def], since Urdhr doesn't ever actually make a difference with it's stat boosts, but I am somewhat hesitant to just dump a personal weapon, especially from an aesthetic standpoint (admit it, Ardent Service would look ridiculous on anyone).

I could probably give it to WE!Lissa [+Atk -Def] since her default Bold Fighter doesn't mesh with Handbell all that well, and it'd let me boost the Attack of armors even when none of them run any Attack boosting C skills/Sacred Seals/Assists. Only issue is that I still haven't built her.

(For reference, I do not have access to Spring Chrom, Summer Xander, or Winter Chrom I also don't have many other Axe units with ideal natures, but then I'd just wait for the ideal nature to appear)

I have to Karel with HP+boon HO skills and seal & special refine & triple water blessing boon & wrath& summoner support is sick... 78 Hp get him down to 20 Hp and let Vengeance and wrath do the work guaranteed 50 dmg & his attack on top of that one shots everything

On 6/2/2018 at 6:49 PM, Xenomata said:

I've been staring at a list of all the Axe units available, and I just can't figure this out...

Who should I give Ardent Service+ to?

I at first thought Air Azura [+Atk -Def], but she has Hone Fliers and is almost always fielded and next to (in AA) ToD!Nowi, who also has Hone Fliers, so it'd only be a good idea if I were to field her with other units.

I could give it to my PA!Azura [+Atk -Def], since Urdhr doesn't ever actually make a difference with it's stat boosts, but I am somewhat hesitant to just dump a personal weapon, especially from an aesthetic standpoint (admit it, Ardent Service would look ridiculous on anyone).

I could probably give it to WE!Lissa [+Atk -Def] since her default Bold Fighter doesn't mesh with Handbell all that well, and it'd let me boost the Attack of armors even when none of them run any Attack boosting C skills/Sacred Seals/Assists. Only issue is that I still haven't built her.

(For reference, I do not have access to Spring Chrom, Summer Xander, or Winter Chrom I also don't have many other Axe units with ideal natures, but then I'd just wait for the ideal nature to appear)

I would personally wait until they release another axe Dancer/Singer, although that may take a while.

If you do not want to wait, then I agree that Sheena, WE!Lissa, etc. on a Ward Armor team would probably be the best users of it, but that may also make the team susceptible to Panic.

In my opinion, Urðr is more useful if the team is built around a Firesweep nuke rather than a Desperation nuke, as Firesweep nukes can take their sweet time whereas Desperation nukes need to kill things quickly within two hits as well as surviving the first counter.

Wow, I just have no idea how to use Axes...

This time, it's Chrom's Sack of Gifts+. Since Brazen Atk/Def and Wary Fighter are both 4* available, even if I've yet to summon Ares, this one Chrom [+Spd -Res] sits doing nothing when I have a different and more desirable [+Res -HP] Chrom to use, and in fact have already given some SI to. Of course I could just merge him into +Res, but I'd at least like to explore my options first.

Since it's an axe with Spectrum Stance built in, that'd logically make it an enemy phase weapon. From what I can see though, most Axe users would rather be using a Slaying Axe+ if they aren't using their default or personal weapon. It could probably be given to someone who'd appreciate that extra bit of bulk offered by the Axe, such as Sheena or +Def Frederick (I'd have to completely rebuild my Frederick if this were to be done). Since he has decent mixed bulk, I could give it to my +Res -HP Hawkeye and go from there.

I'm still coming to the issue that for an enemy-phase axe, most everyone'd rather have a Slaying Axe, and in fact Sheena and Hawkeye can both get one by default. I'd appreciate input, but I'd honestly not be surprised if there's no scenario where Sack o Gifts would be better than a Slaying Axe.

Also thanks for the input on Ardent Service Xray, I think I will hold off for now. I don't think we'll be getting anymore axe dancers anytime soon, if ever, but I should at least what happens in the times coming for the game.

2 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

I'm trying to think of a build for aTiki (+atk -spd) that uses the Fog breath refine. However, I don't not have steady breath or distant counter available. Any Ideas?  

Fury/Renewal comes to mind..

While pulling for Karla (didn't got her in the end), I pulled a 4* Ares, I know he has a good skill in Brazen Atk/Def, but who should I give the skill to? For references, I've got every unit except Siegbert, Krom, Leif, Swordhardt, Bownoka, Shigure, S!Chrom, W!Lissa, LA!Roy and L!Lyn