Not sure what skill to inherit or who to inherit it from? Read this! (Please read before posting)

MrSmokestack

22 minutes ago, Chrom-ulent said:

Is it worth putting Null Follow-Up on Julia? She's +Spd and I have a Darting Stance seal. If so, she becomes my next dew refine.

Against what enemies does she need Null Follow-Up for?

Julia can one shot most dragons, so there is no point in disabling dragons' follow-up attacks.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, XRay said:

Julia can one shot most dragons, so there is no point in disabling dragons' follow-up attacks.

This is the Julia I am using for reference (my own Julia, but details), and the enemy is Fury 3/Moonbow overwrite with +Spd and +10 merge with only Dragon foes initiating combat against Julia. (side question for you XRay, should we be using Fury 4 from now on in the sims?)

[+Atk -Def +10] - Naga (Refine) - Dragon Fang - Fierce Stance 3 - Quick Riposte 3 - Fierce Stance 3 (Assist and C passive flex)

The only dragon, at least with the Fierce Stance 6 set-up, that she can't kill is Halloween Myrrh, who gets a double from having well over double Julia's Defense. It should be noted that replacing QR3 in my build with Null Follow-Up does not allow Julia to kill Myrrh, it simply lets Julia survive against Myrrh (from removing the Spirit Breaths automatic follow-up)

@Chrom-ulent Julia does not need Null Follow-Up. With enough Attack, every dragon is dead in one hit, so those who would get one don't even get their automatic follow-up anyways. The ones who don't die are Halloween Myrrh, who is the only unit who would be affected by NFU and doesn't even get killed anyways, and Garon, who I've never even seen other players using seriously.

Naga's refine is made specifically to let Julia counter dragons, but most every dragon unit in the game is made to be enemy-phase and dumped all of their speed before the merge unit update. If you really want Julia to have higher speed, I'd simply let someone Hone Spd her and worry more about her Atk. Of course, if +Spd is your only Julia then you just gotta work with what you have, but there's no reason to focus on Julia's speed (besides letting her defend against other units, but I'm fairly certain she dies to every other unit anyways).

...of course, that's assuming you want to refine Naga. Divine Naga is a completely different story I'm sure...

Edited by Xenomata

2 hours ago, XRay said:

I was worried about Bold/Wary/Vengeful/QR dragons in Assault.

But if someone like Anna can tank L!Tikis just fine in her bonus season, Julia will do even better.

Throwing on Vantage since I have enough manuals of it.

Edited by Chrom-ulent

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

side question for you XRay, should we be using Fury 4 from now on in the sims?

I do it for Full List enemies, but I do not think it matters too much how we set up the Full List as long as the enemies have enough stat advantage.

I mostly use the Full List as an additional reference for evaluating Spd tanks and sometimes nukes since the Hard List is pretty slow in terms of Spd. Other than that, I primarily use the Hard List for evaluating most units.

56 minutes ago, Chrom-ulent said:

Throwing on Vantage since I have enough manuals of it.

Yeah, that is what I lean towards too.

However, since Julia is running Fierce Stance and Vantage, her tanking ability and total damage output will be severely compromised, so I would not let her tank green magic nukes as she used to.

6 minutes ago, Troykv said:

What are good recipients for the Wrath Skill? I have an additional Karla that I don't plan to use.

Regular Lyn can use Wrath instead of Special Spiral if you need higher damage output instead Special Spiral for infinite Special spam.

You can also put it on LA!Hector so he can fully charge Bonfire/Luna at the start of every turn.

You can also try putting it on a unit with armor effective Weapons so they can charge Moonbow/Glimmer every 2 turns to help them shot armor units.

Nothing else comes to mind though. You put it on a unit with Slaying Weapons to try one shotting things, but I think Desperation is better in that scenario to double your damage output instead of just adding a +10.

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, kirauza343 said:

Any a-slot recommendations for Legendary Azura? I’m not using her for arena so her B Duel Flying doesn’t help and Triangle Adept would be redundant on a team with a Blárraven user.

For most players, I recommend Fury for Dancers/Singers to increase their bulk. Triangle Adept is more suited for a Player Phase team where VS!Azura is primarily supporting a green nuke.

If you want to go really budget, there is Speed +3 or Resistance +3.

After I only was able to put a minimum of effort into the game for quite a long time due to university being fun, I'm finally returning and have a ton of characters to train now - which is why I'm back here and would appreciate some general advice on how to build a few of them. I'm just going to list a bunch of questions now, some about general topics, others about specific characters, and would appreciate any advice, so thanks in advance to anyone who answers!
Keep in mind though that I'm still free to play, so budget options would be appreciated if possible.

1. Since the last post in the thread is literally exactly about this topic: I guess the Gem Weapon/Triangle Adept + Glimmer meta for most dancers has died out and been replaced by Fury + Moonbow now? Or is it still a thing for low attack dancers like Ninian/low everything characters like Performing Shigure?
Also, is Hone Atk/Atk Tactic just the most viable C slot skill around for most dancers or should I opt for some flexibility by mixing in Spd buffs in as well?

2. Adding on to this: I have about 10 Sothes laying around now, so who would still appreciate Life and Death instead of the standard Fury nowadays? I was thinking about Firesweep users that can't be countered, Brave Weapon users who would be enabled to quad their enemies, or Desperation users with all around terrible defenses like Brave Roy/most Blade Mages? Though on the other side, if I put LoD on someone like Linde, she'd die to any physical enemy just looking at her in a mean way, so I'm not sure...

3. Are there some general guidelines around on which special to choose in a specific situation? Excluding those with charge accelerators like Bold Fighter, most characters seem to get the best first round combat results by simply using Moonbow, but it seems kind of a waste to not abuse really high defensive stats like Julia's resistance, for example...
Like do you generally use Moonbow, but switch to Glimmer for people with TA/a lot of effective damage, Bonfire/Iceberg for people with >30 Def/Res and Draconic Aura for those with >50 Atk? Or does someone's attack rhythm matter, for example when they're using a Brave Weapon or Desperation and therefore mainly attacking in doubles? Should those pick a special with 3 charge to always get it activated on the last move of their second rotation?

4. Regarding C slots: I have quite a bit of potential Ploy fodder left, so how good are those compared to the standard Hone and Spur Abilities? Would Atk Ploy be good on Myrrh, for example, of should she rather stick to standard flier buffs? And is it viable to keep things like Hone Dragons/Beasts around even when dedicated Dragon/Beast teams probybly have less flexibility than all the other ones?

5. Now onto some characters themselves: I have multiple Ogmas, Ravens, Lon'qus, Jeorges, Ares', M!Corrins (each one with either +Spd or +Atk) and Minervas (just +Atk) sitting around and the Dew to give them their legendary refines, so... What would be good builds for them? I'm going to list some thoughts on my own, even though I don't know how much they are going to help:
Ogma could probably do some standard Fury + Desperation stuff, but he isn't quite as fast as I'd like him to be even with +Spd, so I'm not sure how well that would work.
Raven and Lon'qu (the former going +Spd, the latter likely +Atk since he's so fast on his own already) could meanwhile run double LoD with maybe Threaten Def for ridiculous offenses, though that does sound terribly fragile, so I think I'll just stick to using Fury again?
Jeorge can apparently use a fun oneshot build with +Atk and Vantage, does this work well?
Ares meanwhile could either spam AoE specials/Draconic Aura with +Atk or do an enemy phase build with +Spd and Vantage or Quick Riposte. I'm eyeing the former so far, since it seems to be more unique (and is cheaper to build as well).
M!Corrin however isn't quite as simple since he's so balanced - maybe a Drive and a Link skill to buff his support partner as hard as possible? Or just Swordbreaker instead to get him some more combat presence on his own? I'm not exactly sure about his preferred nature either, but +Atk does sound better with Swordbreaker imo and +Spd without.
I'm not sure at all about Minerva though... Her offenses are good, but not amazingly so, and the same is true for her physical defense, so no idea really...

6. I have similar issues with choosing B slots for a lot of people that aren't either a fast Desperation glass canon or a bulky Quick Riposte enemy phase tank, for example Innes, Eirika, L'Arachel, Spring!Chrom, Spring!Alfonse, Camilla, Hinoka, New Year Takumi, Sonya... At the moment I'm mostly defaulting to picking the Breaker skill of their respective colour, but I'm not really sure about it... And Innes doesn't even have a colour so I dunno really.

7. For healers with both Wrathful and Dazzling Staff: It's rather obvious that someone slow like Genny prefers to stack as much attack as possible, while I have the feeling that my faster ones like Brave Veronica and Loki actually got a better combat presence by equipping Spd+3... So how about those with middling Spd like New Year Laevatein or Elise?

8. And finally, for my last point: Is there a Spd value where the stat kind of stops being useful for the most part? Cause I have a +Spd Valentine's Ike who's sitting at base 41 already and regularly buffs himself up to 47, so I'm kind of questioning whether it would be worth it to give him a Spd refine on top of all that.

Anyways, thank you to everyone who even bothers to read through all of that and even more to those that write a response. :)

49 minutes ago, Sias said:

1. Since the last post in the thread is literally exactly about this topic: I guess the Gem Weapon/Triangle Adept + Glimmer meta for most dancers has died out and been replaced by Fury + Moonbow now? Or is it still a thing for low attack dancers like Ninian/low everything characters like Performing Shigure?
Also, is Hone Atk/Atk Tactic just the most viable C slot skill around for most dancers or should I opt for some flexibility by mixing in Spd buffs in as well?

Glimmer/Moonbow-Triangle Adept is still good on Dancers/Singers; it is primarily used in Player Phase teams where the Dancer/Singer is paired with a nuke of the stronger color (e.g.: Olivia with Reinhardt on the team). Triangle Adept is there to provide a hard counter against foes the nuke cannot deal with.

Moonbow-Fury is better for players who do not have a set team.

Ninian and PA!Shigure can use either set. If you know they are going to be supporting a green nuke most of the time, then Triangle Adept gives the team better coverage by shutting down red units. If you are just throwing them into random teams, then Fury would be better for the increased bulk.

Hone Atk is the most useful C slot in my opinion since everyone can use more Atk. Atk Tactic has team composition requirements, so I would not bother inheriting it until you have a team planned out before hand. Spd buffs are useful for Desperation nukes, but I would prioritize it less since not all nukes need Spd.

1 hour ago, Sias said:

2. Adding on to this: I have about 10 Sothes laying around now, so who would still appreciate Life and Death instead of the standard Fury nowadays? I was thinking about Firesweep users that can't be countered, Brave Weapon users who would be enabled to quad their enemies, or Desperation users with all around terrible defenses like Brave Roy/most Blade Mages? Though on the other side, if I put LoD on someone like Linde, she'd die to any physical enemy just looking at her in a mean way, so I'm not sure...

For nukes in general, if you can get into Desperation range easily, then Life and Death is better. If you have trouble getting into Desperation range, then Fury is better.

Firesweep nukes would go with Life and Death since they are not meant to receive counter attacks at all.

Slaying-Galeforce nukes would also generally like Life and Death over Fury for more Atk/Spd.

1 hour ago, Sias said:

4. Regarding C slots: I have quite a bit of potential Ploy fodder left, so how good are those compared to the standard Hone and Spur Abilities? Would Atk Ploy be good on Myrrh, for example, of should she rather stick to standard flier buffs? And is it viable to keep things like Hone Dragons/Beasts around even when dedicated Dragon/Beast teams probybly have less flexibility than all the other ones?

Personally, I prefer buffs over Ploys. You generally want to keep your team together and buffs should therefore generally be active on your units most of the time, whereas Ploys may require you to break your team apart to land a debuff, so foes are not always going to be debuffed.

In my opinion, the best Ploy users would be fliers as they have the most flexibility in terms of positioning and can fly over mountains and water.

I would swap out Hone Dragons on Myrrh unless she is on a dragon team. Even on dragon teams, Ward Dragons is better in my opinion since the vast majority of dragons are Enemy Phase units, so increasing their Def/Res is generally more important than boosting their Atk/Spd, and Ward Dragons also cannot be Panicked since it is a combat buff. Ward Dragons is expensive though.

1 hour ago, Sias said:

Ogma could probably do some standard Fury + Desperation stuff, but he isn't quite as fast as I'd like him to be even with +Spd, so I'm not sure how well that would work.

+Spd
Gladiator's Blade [Spd]
Reposition
Moonbow
(Any A that boosts Atk/Spd)
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow
Ogma reaches 49 Spd with Fury-Darting Blow, so that should be plenty. If that still is not enough, you can use Life and Death to boost it to 51. The special Refinement is kind of crap in my opinion, but you can use it if you plan to pair him with flying allies often.

1 hour ago, Sias said:

Raven and Lon'qu (the former going +Spd, the latter likely +Atk since he's so fast on his own already) could meanwhile run double LoD with maybe Threaten Def for ridiculous offenses, though that does sound terribly fragile, so I think I'll just stick to using Fury again?

I prefer +Spd on almost all my nukes so they can win the Spd race and ensure doubles. +Atk is also fine if most enemies the units face are not particularly fast.

Life and Death is better if you do not have trouble with getting into Desperation range. Fury if you do have trouble.

+Atk/Spd
Basilikos [special] — Solitary Blade [special]
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow

1 hour ago, Sias said:

Jeorge can apparently use a fun oneshot build with +Atk and Vantage, does this work well?

It works okay against ranged units, but it is too niche in my opinion.
Most Close Counter-Vantage Blade mages can reach well over 80+ Atk at 5*+0 (most mages have 30+ Atk; 50=13Mt+7Brazen+6Bonus+24Combat) regardless of whether the foe is melee or ranged.
Jeorge on the other hand only reaches 79 Atk at 5 *+10 (39Atk+14Mt+6Effect+7Brazen+7Brazen+6Bonus).

I prefer running a Player Phase set on Jeorge with Firesweep Bow or Brave Bow.

2 hours ago, Sias said:

Ares meanwhile could either spam AoE specials/Draconic Aura with +Atk or do an enemy phase build with +Spd and Vantage or Quick Riposte. I'm eyeing the former so far, since it seems to be more unique (and is cheaper to build as well).

Vantage builds want +Atk, not +Spd. There is no point in avoiding doubles since their HP is already severely compromised and can die in one hit. Enemy Phase Ares runs the following:
+Atk
Dark Mystletainn
(Any Assist)
Bonfire
Distant Counter
Vantage
(Any C) — Def Smoke
Brazen Atk/Def
If I remember correctly, Ares can hit 90 Atk at 5*+0 when buffed with VS!Azura. While Vantage is an Enemy Phase only skill, you can still use this build on Player Phase to kill things in one hit. If you cannot afford Distant Counter, his default Brazen Atk/Def is fine.

For Player Phase, Ares generally runs the following:
+Atk
Dark Mystletainn
Reposition
Blazing Specials
Life and Death
(Any B) — Chill Def
(Any C)
Hardy Bearing

Alternatively:
+Atk
Dark Mystletainn
Reposition
Bonfire — Luna
Death Blow — Brazen Atk/Def
(Any B) — Chill Def — Desperation
(Any C)
Attack +3 — Brazen Atk/Def — Hardy Bearing — Brash Assault

2 hours ago, Sias said:

M!Corrin however isn't quite as simple since he's so balanced - maybe a Drive and a Link skill to buff his support partner as hard as possible? Or just Swordbreaker instead to get him some more combat presence on his own? I'm not exactly sure about his preferred nature either, but +Atk does sound better with Swordbreaker imo and +Spd without.

As a support unit, his skill set and nature honestly does not matter too much. His skill set should reflect what the team needs. If you need him to run Dual Rallies or Links, then he should run those skills, if not, then run something else.

I run two M!Corrins in one of my Aether Raids team, along with Sharena and Eir. They Ally Support Sharena and can give her 12/12/12/12 when they are two spaces away from her. Sharena runs Distant Counter and can carry the team, as her Fensalir is really strong now that VS!Azura is on every other defense team. I gave my M!Corrins Axebreaker so they can deal with Surtr.

You can also use him as a cheerleader/babysitter for Arena too.

2 hours ago, Sias said:

I'm not sure at all about Minerva though... Her offenses are good, but not amazingly so, and the same is true for her physical defense, so no idea really...

+Spd
Hauteclere [Spd] — Hauteclere [special]
Reposition
Moonbow
Life and Death
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow

3 hours ago, Sias said:

6. I have similar issues with choosing B slots for a lot of people that aren't either a fast Desperation glass canon or a bulky Quick Riposte enemy phase tank, for example Innes, Eirika, L'Arachel, Spring!Chrom, Spring!Alfonse, Camilla, Hinoka, New Year Takumi, Sonya... At the moment I'm mostly defaulting to picking the Breaker skill of their respective colour, but I'm not really sure about it... And Innes doesn't even have a colour so I dunno really.

With few exceptions, all those units should be running Desperation or Quick Riposte depending on their skill set.

Innes should be running Firesweep Bow or Brave Bow. Nidhogg is not that great in my opinion. If he is running Firesweep Bow, I recommend Poison Strike for his B slot. If he is running Brave Bow, I would stick with Desperation.

Sonya can run Special Spiral-Heavy Blade to spam Blazing Specials.

3 hours ago, Sias said:

7. For healers with both Wrathful and Dazzling Staff: It's rather obvious that someone slow like Genny prefers to stack as much attack as possible, while I have the feeling that my faster ones like Brave Veronica and Loki actually got a better combat presence by equipping Spd+3... So how about those with middling Spd like New Year Laevatein or Elise?

All healers should be running Attack +3. Unless you can afford Atk/Spd Solo on them, they are not going to win any Spd race against nukes, so Speed +3 is not going to make much of a difference in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Sias said:

8. And finally, for my last point: Is there a Spd value where the stat kind of stops being useful for the most part? Cause I have a +Spd Valentine's Ike who's sitting at base 41 already and regularly buffs himself up to 47, so I'm kind of questioning whether it would be worth it to give him a Spd refine on top of all that.

Depends on the mode and score ranges.

For Arena score range 720+ and PvE Abyssal difficulty, around 40 Spd is generally enough.

For Arena score range below 720 and in Aether Raids, you want your Spd as high as possible since most foes will have performance based skill sets.

10 hours ago, XRay said:

Glimmer/Moonbow-Triangle Adept is still good on Dancers/Singers; it is primarily used in Player Phase teams where the Dancer/Singer is paired with a nuke of the stronger color (e.g.: Olivia with Reinhardt on the team). Triangle Adept is there to provide a hard counter against foes the nuke cannot deal with.

Moonbow-Fury is better for players who do not have a set team.

Ninian and PA!Shigure can use either set. If you know they are going to be supporting a green nuke most of the time, then Triangle Adept gives the team better coverage by shutting down red units. If you are just throwing them into random teams, then Fury would be better for the increased bulk.

Hone Atk is the most useful C slot in my opinion since everyone can use more Atk. Atk Tactic has team composition requirements, so I would not bother inheriting it until you have a team planned out before hand. Spd buffs are useful for Desperation nukes, but I would prioritize it less since not all nukes need Spd.

Hm, I think I'm just going to mix things up a little since I have multiple dancers of each colour anyways, so there should be room for some variety.
Since we're already on the topic of dancers though: Just pulled my second Reyson, and I assume +Spd (vs +Atk) is the superior option again, just like with most other supporters? Also, Wings of Mercy should still be good on him even though he has increased move already, right?

For nukes in general, if you can get into Desperation range easily, then Life and Death is better. If you have trouble getting into Desperation range, then Fury is better.

Firesweep nukes would go with Life and Death since they are not meant to receive counter attacks at all.

Slaying-Galeforce nukes would also generally like Life and Death over Fury for more Atk/Spd.

As I said, it's kind of difficult... There are skills like Ardent Sacrifice around to help someone like Linde get into Desperation range safely, but other times I wish she could just take a hit to get there without dying. Similar problem with Raven probably, as his bulk with double LoD would be just laughable really.

Personally, I prefer buffs over Ploys. You generally want to keep your team together and buffs should therefore generally be active on your units most of the time, whereas Ploys may require you to break your team apart to land a debuff, so foes are not always going to be debuffed.

In my opinion, the best Ploy users would be fliers as they have the most flexibility in terms of positioning and can fly over mountains and water.

I would swap out Hone Dragons on Myrrh unless she is on a dragon team. Even on dragon teams, Ward Dragons is better in my opinion since the vast majority of dragons are Enemy Phase units, so increasing their Def/Res is generally more important than boosting their Atk/Spd, and Ward Dragons also cannot be Panicked since it is a combat buff. Ward Dragons is expensive though.

Okay, that's pretty good since standard buffs are much cheaper than Ploys anyways. What's your opinion on Spurs and Threaten skills btw?

[Ogma build]

Ogma reaches 49 Spd with Fury-Darting Blow, so that should be plenty. If that still is not enough, you can use Life and Death to boost it to 51. The special Refinement is kind of crap in my opinion, but you can use it if you plan to pair him with flying allies often.

Okay, so pretty much a normal Desperation build for him.

I prefer +Spd on almost all my nukes so they can win the Spd race and ensure doubles. +Atk is also fine if most enemies the units face are not particularly fast.

Life and Death is better if you do not have trouble with getting into Desperation range. Fury if you do have trouble.

[Raven/Lon'qu build]

Hm, quick question here: If 49 or 51 Spd is enough for Ogma, wouldn't that apply to Lon'qu as well (who's going to be faster even without a Spd boosting nature)? That's why I wanted to give him +Atk in the first place - his base 29 is kind of bleh after all, and his Spd is already pretty great.

It works okay against ranged units, but it is too niche in my opinion.
Most Close Counter-Vantage Blade mages can reach well over 80+ Atk at 5*+0 (most mages have 30+ Atk; 50=13Mt+7Brazen+6Bonus+24Combat) regardless of whether the foe is melee or ranged.
Jeorge on the other hand only reaches 79 Atk at 5 *+10 (39Atk+14Mt+6Effect+7Brazen+7Brazen+6Bonus).

I prefer running a Player Phase set on Jeorge with Firesweep Bow or Brave Bow.

Ah, kind of a pity, but okay.

[Ares stuff]

Hm, I sadly have no Distant Counter fodder, just lots of uninheritable Ostian Counter... So what would you recommend here? The player or enemy phase route?

As a support unit, his skill set and nature honestly does not matter too much. His skill set should reflect what the team needs. If you need him to run Dual Rallies or Links, then he should run those skills, if not, then run something else.

I run two M!Corrins in one of my Aether Raids team, along with Sharena and Eir. They Ally Support Sharena and can give her 12/12/12/12 when they are two spaces away from her. Sharena runs Distant Counter and can carry the team, as her Fensalir is really strong now that VS!Azura is on every other defense team. I gave my M!Corrins Axebreaker so they can deal with Surtr.

You can also use him as a cheerleader/babysitter for Arena too.

Yeah, that's what I supposed... Ideally he should be able to be a good supporter while still having decent combat presence on his own, but he just has so many options that it's kind of difficult, even more so since I sometimes switch his support partner around.

[Minerva build]

Okay, so she's in the same boat as Ogma, I guess. Though keep in mind that she's the only one of the bunch who doesn't have +Spd as an option, but I suppose this doesn't change much?

With few exceptions, all those units should be running Desperation or Quick Riposte depending on their skill set.

Innes should be running Firesweep Bow or Brave Bow. Nidhogg is not that great in my opinion. If he is running Firesweep Bow, I recommend Poison Strike for his B slot. If he is running Brave Bow, I would stick with Desperation.

Sonya can run Special Spiral-Heavy Blade to spam Blazing Specials.

Is there a special Spd value when you recommend starting to run Desperation? 40 or something like that? Cause many of the characters in my list get pretty close to that with Fury and a Spd refine, but don't quite reach it.

All healers should be running Attack +3. Unless you can afford Atk/Spd Solo on them, they are not going to win any Spd race against nukes, so Speed +3 is not going to make much of a difference in my opinion.

I dunno, maybe it's just because I use Brave Veronica in Aether Raids, but the Spd difference has netted me quite a few doubles on there already. Going to use Atk+3 for the slower ones though.

Depends on the mode and score ranges.

For Arena score range 720+ and PvE Abyssal difficulty, around 40 Spd is generally enough.

For Arena score range below 720 and in Aether Raids, you want your Spd as high as possible since most foes will have performance based skill sets.

~720 is pretty much exactly where I'm hanging around for Arena scoring, but since Valentine's Ike gets a bonus for Aether Raids atm, he gets usage during those as well... Hm.

Anyways, lots of thanks for going into so much detail for all of your answers. :D
Though I happened to notice that you kind of missed point number 3, was that on purpose?

24 minutes ago, Sias said:

Since we're already on the topic of dancers though: Just pulled my second Reyson, and I assume +Spd (vs +Atk) is the superior option again, just like with most other supporters? Also, Wings of Mercy should still be good on him even though he has increased move already, right?

+Spd is better if you do not think you will use Reyson much as a combat unit.

With some exceptions, I personally prefer +Atk on most of my Dancers/Singers so they can fight better if they need to. For Reyson, I prefer +Atk so he can better fight against dragons.

28 minutes ago, Sias said:

As I said, it's kind of difficult... There are skills like Ardent Sacrifice around to help someone like Linde get into Desperation range safely, but other times I wish she could just take a hit to get there without dying. Similar problem with Raven probably, as his bulk with double LoD would be just laughable really.

I personally do not like Ardent Sacrifice on nukes since it means they are not running Reposition. Without Reposition, it makes using them quite a bit more difficult to use with Dancers/Singers.

If you are having trouble getting units into Desperation range, then I would run Fury.

31 minutes ago, Sias said:

What's your opinion on Spurs and Threaten skills btw?

Spurs are okay on Enemy Phase teams since positioning requirements are easier to meet, but Drives are still better in my opinion for the increase in range. I am not a huge fan of Threatens since the range is not far enough to be effective.

34 minutes ago, Sias said:

Hm, quick question here: If 49 or 51 Spd is enough for Ogma, wouldn't that apply to Lon'qu as well (who's going to be faster even without a Spd boosting nature)? That's why I wanted to give him +Atk in the first place - his base 29 is kind of bleh after all, and his Spd is already pretty great.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Lon'qu's abysmal 29 Atk. In that case, yeah, I would go with +Atk.

Generally for most units, if their Atk is 30+, then I opt for +Spd to make sure they can double as reliably as possible.

39 minutes ago, Sias said:

Hm, I sadly have no Distant Counter fodder, just lots of uninheritable Ostian Counter... So what would you recommend here? The player or enemy phase route?

Either is fine. I prefer the Vantage set since it can function in either phase. If you do not have Distant Counter, then I would just run his default Brazen Atk/Def and make sure he avoids ranged foes on Enemy Phase. His Player Phase set is not bad either, but he is strictly a Player Phase unit with that skill set.

43 minutes ago, Sias said:

Okay, so she's in the same boat as Ogma, I guess. Though keep in mind that she's the only one of the bunch who doesn't have +Spd as an option, but I suppose this doesn't change much?

It does not change much. Regardless of their nature, you still want to maximize a Player Phase nuke's Atk/Spd.

45 minutes ago, Sias said:

Is there a special Spd value when you recommend starting to run Desperation? 40 or something like that? Cause many of the characters in my list get pretty close to that with Fury and a Spd refine, but don't quite reach it.

As long as the unit can reach close to 40 Spd, Desperation is fine since you can just make up difference with buffs.

49 minutes ago, Sias said:

Though I happened to notice that you kind of missed point number 3, was that on purpose?

I am blind sometimes.

14 hours ago, Sias said:

3. Are there some general guidelines around on which special to choose in a specific situation? Excluding those with charge accelerators like Bold Fighter, most characters seem to get the best first round combat results by simply using Moonbow, but it seems kind of a waste to not abuse really high defensive stats like Julia's resistance, for example...
Like do you generally use Moonbow, but switch to Glimmer for people with TA/a lot of effective damage, Bonfire/Iceberg for people with >30 Def/Res and Draconic Aura for those with >50 Atk? Or does someone's attack rhythm matter, for example when they're using a Brave Weapon or Desperation and therefore mainly attacking in doubles? Should those pick a special with 3 charge to always get it activated on the last move of their second rotation?

The general goal to achieve is to either prioritize first round performance or to activate a Special during every round of combat (or at least activate it as frequently as possible). Attack rhythm and skills also matter, so while Slaying-Moonbow or Slaying-Ignis/Glacies is the general guideline for Player Phase and Enemy Phase units, you still might want to run lower cooldown Specials or skills that increase Special charge rate to make sure they can activate Specials reliably.

I generally do not use Glimmer unless the unit is running Triangle Adept and/or effective Weapons since they can deal high damage numbers.

Julia is usually an Enemy Phase unit, so she should generally be running Iceberg. However, if the foes she face are too slow to double her consistently, then she should run Moonbow. Even for really slow units like Effie, Slaying-Moonbow-Vengeful Fighter is still good option if she frequently encounters slow foes with Guard who would have normally denied her Special from activating.

I have a 10 plus Marth

Spoiler

fire_emblem_heroes_plus_ten_marth_by_the

He's plus RES and I'm not sure what skills to give him.  I've had a couple of suggestions but I'm still not sure what is best...I'll include his current build.

Spoiler

fire_emblem_heroes_plus_ten_marth_update

I'm waiting on aether fodder to be free to give him a bit more staying power I think.

I have some questions about the units I'm building at the moment.

Which A skill could I give to NY!Laegjarn? I'm out of Fury and have no premium skills so I was thinking about something like Steady Stance, Sturdy Stance or Steady Posture... Which one would be the best?

What would be a good A skill for L!Azura aside from Fury?

Which boon is the best for Reyson between Hp and Def?

Which set could I give to Dancer Micaiah? I had thought about Death Blow 3 in the A slot, Wings of Mercy in B, Res Ploy in C and a special among Moonbow, Glimmer and Iceberg... Which one is the best? Also she is +Atk, I don't know if this could be important for the build...

On my current Aether Raids defense team I use Tibarn, Naesala, Reyson and Leanne. Most of the players who defeated me run Panic Manor in their offense fortress which changes the buffs from Hone Beasts and Fortify Beasts into debuffs, making Tibarn and Naesala do very little damage. Should I change their C skills? I had thought about Spd Ploy for Leanne so that it can make a combo with Naesala's weapon, while I have no idea about which skill I could give to Reyson...

Roy: Blazing Lion is my new front unit. I have him at B so far for my support, 1 Dragonflower, and no merges. All of his skills are what he's given with. What do you guys reccomend? Specifically I was wondering about his special skill and S skill. I was also considering giving him Vantage 3 for the B skill, but I like having my units heal themselves. I don't like sacrificing 5 star units and that'd be my only way to get something like Aether.

8 hours ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I have a 10 plus Marth

Reveal hidden contents

fire_emblem_heroes_plus_ten_marth_by_the

He's plus RES and I'm not sure what skills to give him.  I've had a couple of suggestions but I'm still not sure what is best...I'll include his current build.

Reveal hidden contents

fire_emblem_heroes_plus_ten_marth_update

I'm waiting on aether fodder to be free to give him a bit more staying power I think.

If you are just using him as a support unit, his skill set does not really matter in my opinion. Or to put it another way, his skill set should reflect what his team needs him to do, so Marth should be built more as a reaction to what you experience on the field. Unless you are using him in Arena, I do not recommend Aether since it takes way too long to charge and the amount it heals is not enough to provide sustainability. Killing foes with an offensive Special is also better for preventing stuff like Wings of Mercy Dancers/Singers from activating on the enemy team.

HP Battery/Combat Medic:
Falchion [special]
Ardent Sacrifice — Reciprocal Aid
Moonbow
HP +5
Renewal
(Any C)
HP +5

Stat Support:
Falchion [special]
Rally — Movement Assist — (Any Assist)
Moonbow
(Any A)
Chill — Feint (with Rally) — Link (with Movement Assist) — (Any B)
Drive
Drive

Surtr Tank:
+Atk
Falchion [special]
(Any Assist)
Moonbow
Triangle Adept
Axebreaker
(Any C)
Attack +3 — (Any Sacred Seal)

8 hours ago, Yukiko said:

Which A skill could I give to NY!Laegjarn? I'm out of Fury and have no premium skills so I was thinking about something like Steady Stance, Sturdy Stance or Steady Posture... Which one would be the best?

It depends on which phase you plan to use her in. If you use her for Player Phase, the other alternative to Fury is Life and Death; if you cannot afford that, there is Darting Blow. For Enemy Phase, I would recommend Steady Posture.

Player Phase:
Níu
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow

Enemy Phase Spd Tank:
Níu
(Any Assist)
Moonbow
(Any A that boosts Spd/Def)
Quick Riposte — Guard
(Any C)
Atk/Spd Bond — Darting Stance — Quick Riposte

What would be a good A skill for L!Azura aside from Fury?

If you cannot afford Fury, there is Triangle Adept. If not that either, then I would go with Speed +3 or Resistance +3

Which boon is the best for Reyson between Hp and Def?

Between those two, HP is better, but you ideally want +Spd.

Which set could I give to Dancer Micaiah? I had thought about Death Blow 3 in the A slot, Wings of Mercy in B, Res Ploy in C and a special among Moonbow, Glimmer and Iceberg... Which one is the best? Also she is +Atk, I don't know if this could be important for the build...

Dawn Suzu
Dance
Glimmer
Death Blow — Life and Death
(Any B) — Axebreaker
(Any C)

Her Special should be a low cooldown Special since she is not going to see much combat per map, so the sooner she can trigger her Special, the better. Glimmer generally deals more damage than Moonbow against green armor units.

Her B can be anything. If you are using her on offense more than defense, I would reevaluate Wings of Mercy. Most players generally position their Dancers/Singers pretty close to their own nukes, so Wings of Mercy could be redundant and unnecessary unless your play style often places your nukes and Dancers/Singers away from each other.

Her C slot requires her to line up against the enemy, but since she would be Dancing a lot, I am not sure she will have the time to activate Ploys that often. If you are on a budget, then I would just leave it as is, but Hone Atk and Hone Spd are not exactly that expensive so I highly recommend giving her one of both of those skills.

Life and Death-Axebreaker is also an option as many Surtrs are super slow, so those two skills together should generally be enough to double Surtr.

9 hours ago, Yukiko said:

On my current Aether Raids defense team I use Tibarn, Naesala, Reyson and Leanne. Most of the players who defeated me run Panic Manor in their offense fortress which changes the buffs from Hone Beasts and Fortify Beasts into debuffs, making Tibarn and Naesala do very little damage. Should I change their C skills? I had thought about Spd Ploy for Leanne so that it can make a combo with Naesala's weapon, while I have no idea about which skill I could give to Reyson...

Ploys are okay, but unless your map is extremely well designed, players can simply avoid Ploys. I would personally just stick with their default C slots and run one or two healers with Restore to cancel out the Panic.

1 hour ago, SSbardock84 said:

Roy: Blazing Lion is my new front unit. I have him at B so far for my support, 1 Dragonflower, and no merges. All of his skills are what he's given with. What do you guys reccomend? Specifically I was wondering about his special skill and S skill. I was also considering giving him Vantage 3 for the B skill, but I like having my units heal themselves. I don't like sacrificing 5 star units and that'd be my only way to get something like Aether.

I would go with Moonbow so he can activate a Special consistently. I am not a huge fan of Aether for sustainability because it takes too long to activate and by the time you activate it, the unit might not actually heal enough due to the enemy being low on HP. If you really want sustainability, it is best to offload sustainability to another unit, such as Eir or a healer.

I do not recommend Vantage for any unit that cannot easily hit at least 75 Atk at 5*+0 (or simulate that high Atk in some way such as via Meister Weapons or Pain). Roy cannot hit that number without the player bending over backwards for him. If he is going to be used in Aether Raids, armor units and merged units will also need a much higher Atk threshold than 75.

Since he can easily reach 50+ Spd, I recommend Null Follow-Up so he can disable all skills that modify the basic Spd based doubling mechanic. Alternatively, he can run Null C-Disrupt so he can counter attack against all units. I might be misremembering since I could not find it anymore, but I thought I read about a Null Distant Counter/Close Counter effect in a datamine before, so I would be a little cautious about inheriting Null C-Disrupt.

9 minutes ago, XRay said:

If you are just using him as a support unit, his skill set does not really matter in my opinion. Or to put it another way, his skill set should reflect what his team needs him to do, so Marth should be built more as a reaction to what you experience on the field. Unless you are using him in Arena, I do not recommend Aether since it takes way too long to charge and the amount it heals is not enough to provide sustainability. Killing foes with an offensive Special is also better for preventing stuff like Wings of Mercy Dancers/Singers from activating on the enemy team.

HP Battery/Combat Medic:
Falchion [special]
Moonbow
HP +5
Renewal
(Any C)
HP +5

Stat Support:
Falchion [special]
Moonbow
(Any A)
Drive
Drive

Surtr Tank:
+Atk
Falchion [special]
(Any Assist)
Moonbow
Triangle Adept
Axebreaker
(Any C)

It depends on which phase you plan to use her in. If you use her for Player Phase, the other alternative to Fury is Life and Death; if you cannot afford that, there is Darting Blow. For Enemy Phase, I would recommend Steady Posture.

Player Phase:
Níu
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow

Enemy Phase Spd Tank:
Níu
(Any Assist)
Moonbow
Quick Riposte — Guard
(Any C)

If you cannot afford Fury, there is Triangle Adept. If not that either, then I would go with Speed +3 or Resistance +3

Dawn Suzu
Dance
Glimmer
(Any B) — Axebreaker
(Any C)

Her Special should be a low cooldown Special since she is not going to see much combat per map, so the sooner she can trigger her Special, the better. Glimmer generally deals more damage than Moonbow against green armor units.

Her B can be anything. If you are using her on offense more than defense, I would reevaluate Wings of Mercy. Most players generally position their Dancers/Singers pretty close to their own nukes, so Wings of Mercy could be redundant and unnecessary unless your play style often places your nukes and Dancers/Singers away from each other.

Her C slot requires her to line up against the enemy, but since she would be Dancing a lot, I am not sure she will have the time to activate Ploys that often. If you are on a budget, then I would just leave it as is, but Hone Atk and Hone Spd are not exactly that expensive so I highly recommend giving her one of both of those skills.

Life and Death-Axebreaker is also an option as many Surtrs are super slow, so those two skills together should generally be enough to double Surtr.

Ploys are okay, but unless your map is extremely well designed, players can simply avoid Ploys. I would personally just stick with their default C slots and run one or two healers with Restore to cancel out the Panic.

I would go with Moonbow so he can activate a Special consistently. I am not a huge fan of Aether for sustainability because it takes too long to activate and by the time you activate it, the unit might not actually heal enough due to the enemy being low on HP. If you really want sustainability, it is best to offload sustainability to another unit, such as Eir or a healer.

I do not recommend Vantage for any unit that cannot easily hit at least 75 Atk at 5*+0 (or simulate that high Atk in some way such as via Meister Weapons or Pain). Roy cannot hit that number without the player bending over backwards for him. If he is going to be used in Aether Raids, armor units and merged units will also need a much higher Atk threshold than 75.

Since he can easily reach 50+ Spd, I recommend Null Follow-Up so he can disable all skills that modify the basic Spd based doubling mechanic. Alternatively, he can run Null C-Disrupt so he can counter attack against all units. I might be misremembering since I could not find it anymore, but I thought I read about a Null Distant Counter/Close Counter effect in a datamine before, so I would be a little cautious about inheriting Null C-Disrupt.

I see.  That may be a mild problem since he doesn't really have a team per say.  I may do a Lancina/Grima/healer/Marth in question team with him hopefully OKO dragons/troublesome greens like Julia I think. 

Though if I do go for arena, would he be a good debuff unit because of the 30 res or would that not be feasible?

27 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I see.  That may be a mild problem since he doesn't really have a team per say.  I may do a Lancina/Grima/healer/Marth in question team with him hopefully OKO dragons/troublesome greens like Julia I think. 

Though if I do go for arena, would he be a good debuff unit because of the 30 res or would that not be feasible?

You can also mix and match the cheapest skills in the example skill sets and see whether you use him as a healer more, stat buffer more, or fighting Surtr more before giving him more expensive skills. If you need him to counter dragons and greens, Triangle Adept would shutdown or wall off all greens and green dragons, and I think BH!Lucina and FV!M!Robin should be strong enough to handle red and blue dragons respectively if you bring a healer.

Depending on the score range, 30 Res might not be enough. The highest I have ever scored was around 736 or 738 when Laevatein was a bonus unit and armor teams start to appear a lot more frequently. While I do not remember what the armor teams' stats were, I do remember them being quite bulky since my Laevatein sometimes could not one shot the blue armor units despite being buffed with 6/6/6/6. Armor units generally have higher Def than Res though, so maybe their Res might not be as high as their Def.

Edited by XRay

11 hours ago, XRay said:

HP Battery/Combat Medic:
Falchion [special]
Moonbow
HP +5
Renewal
(Any C)
HP +5

Stat Support:
Falchion [special]
Moonbow
(Any A)
Drive
Drive

Surtr Tank:
+Atk
Falchion [special]
(Any Assist)
Moonbow
Triangle Adept
Axebreaker
(Any C)

Player Phase:
Níu
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow

Enemy Phase Spd Tank:
Níu
(Any Assist)
Moonbow
Quick Riposte — Guard
(Any C)

Dawn Suzu
Dance
Glimmer
(Any B) — Axebreaker
(Any C)

Thank you for the advice. I think I'm going to try both B skills for Micaiah and see which one is more useful for my teams.

On 04/03/2019 at 9:55 AM, XRay said:

You can also mix and match the cheapest skills in the example skill sets and see whether you use him as a healer more, stat buffer more, or fighting Surtr more before giving him more expensive skills. If you need him to counter dragons and greens, Triangle Adept would shutdown or wall off all greens and green dragons, and I think BH!Lucina and FV!M!Robin should be strong enough to handle red and blue dragons respectively if you bring a healer.

Depending on the score range, 30 Res might not be enough. The highest I have ever scored was around 736 or 738 when Laevatein was a bonus unit and armor teams start to appear a lot more frequently. While I do not remember what the armor teams' stats were, I do remember them being quite bulky since my Laevatein sometimes could not one shot the blue armor units despite being buffed with 6/6/6/6. Armor units generally have higher Def than Res though, so maybe their Res might not be as high as their Def.

I don't actually tend to use Marth as a healer, though I do with Masked Marth- she's not quite as good at it as Winter Robin.

I'm not sure if Marth should be stat booster/healer/Surtr-slayer.  I tend to have everyone sort of hit as hard as they can as fast as they can on PP.

6 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

I don't actually tend to use Marth as a healer, though I do with Masked Marth- she's not quite as good at it as Winter Robin.

I'm not sure if Marth should be stat booster/healer/Surtr-slayer.  I tend to have everyone sort of hit as hard as they can as fast as they can on PP.

If you use him as a Player Phase unit, then you would want something like this:

+Spd

Falchion [Spd]

Reposition

Moonbow

Renewal -- Guard

(Any C)

Atk/Spd -- Darting Blow

I assume he will be sticking with Falchion for dragon slaying, so that means he is not going to work too well with Desperation. Renewal will help him recover back to full HP sooner while Guard helps him take less damage via disrupting foes' Specials.

If you want him to have better Player Phase performance in general, then I would swap out Falchion for Slaying Edge and run Desperation.

2 hours ago, XRay said:

If you use him as a Player Phase unit, then you would want something like this:

+Spd

Falchion [Spd]

Reposition

Moonbow

Renewal -- Guard

(Any C)

Atk/Spd -- Darting Blow

I assume he will be sticking with Falchion for dragon slaying, so that means he is not going to work too well with Desperation. Renewal will help him recover back to full HP sooner while Guard helps him take less damage via disrupting foes' Specials.

If you want him to have better Player Phase performance in general, then I would swap out Falchion for Slaying Edge and run Desperation.

That would mean swapping the Marth base I assume...

Also on the subject of Falchion weilders what is a plus HP Chrom's ideal set up?

Spoiler

feh_chrom_by_thesilentchloey_dd1c1um-pre

This Chrom was -Attack so I merged to remove the bane.  Plus six more are waiting to be bought to merge level.

22 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

That would mean swapping the Marth base I assume...

Yeah. Player Phase units in general really need that +Atk/Spd Asset to function at their best.

23 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

Also on the subject of Falchion weilders what is a plus HP Chrom's ideal set up?

Reveal hidden contents

feh_chrom_by_thesilentchloey_dd1c1um-pre

This Chrom was -Attack so I merged to remove the bane.  Plus six more are waiting to be bought to merge level.

Unless you are using him as an HP battery or something, I recommend switching to another Asset if possible. Outside of niche support builds, HP is never the ideal Asset for combat units. Depending on the type, nukes want +Atk/Spd, while tanks want +Spd/Def/Res or sometimes neutral.

If you prefer Player Phase builds, Chrom can either go with a slow Brave build or a faster Desperation build.

Brave Build:
+Atk
Brave Sword
Reposition
Moonbow
Death Blow
(Any B) — Chill Def — Desperation (with Brash Assault)
(Any C)
Heavy Blade — Quickened Pulse — Brash Assault (with Desperation)

Desperation Build:
+Spd
Sealed Falchion
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow

For an Enemy Phase build, he can go with the following:
+Def/Res
Falchion [special] — Safeguard [Def] — Safeguard [Res] — Barrier Blade [Def] — Barrier Blade [Res]
Swap
Moonbow — Bonfire
(Any A that boosts Atk/Def/Res) — Distant Counter
Quick Riposte — Guard
(Any C)
Atk/Def Bond — Close Def — Quick Riposte
You generally want to Atk/Def stack him, with more emphasis on Def, but you can also attempt to fix his Res if you want him to handle dragons or run Distant Counter.
I would normally recommend Bonfire, but if you face a lot of foes with skills that disrupts Special cooldowns, you may want to switch to something like Moonbow-Steady Breath.

On 05/03/2019 at 7:24 PM, XRay said:

Yeah. Player Phase units in general really need that +Atk/Spd Asset to function at their best.

Unless you are using him as an HP battery or something, I recommend switching to another Asset if possible. Outside of niche support builds, HP is never the ideal Asset for combat units. Depending on the type, nukes want +Atk/Spd, while tanks want +Spd/Def/Res or sometimes neutral.

If you prefer Player Phase builds, Chrom can either go with a slow Brave build or a faster Desperation build.

Brave Build:
+Atk
Brave Sword
Reposition
Moonbow
Death Blow
(Any B) — Chill Def — Desperation (with Brash Assault)
(Any C)
Heavy Blade — Quickened Pulse — Brash Assault (with Desperation)

Desperation Build:
+Spd
Sealed Falchion
Reposition
Moonbow
Desperation
(Any C)
Atk/Spd — Darting Blow

For an Enemy Phase build, he can go with the following:
+Def/Res
Falchion [special] — Safeguard [Def] — Safeguard [Res] — Barrier Blade [Def] — Barrier Blade [Res]
Swap
Moonbow — Bonfire
(Any A that boosts Atk/Def/Res) — Distant Counter
Quick Riposte — Guard
(Any C)
Atk/Def Bond — Close Def — Quick Riposte
You generally want to Atk/Def stack him, with more emphasis on Def, but you can also attempt to fix his Res if you want him to handle dragons or run Distant Counter.
I would normally recommend Bonfire, but if you face a lot of foes with skills that disrupts Special cooldowns, you may want to switch to something like Moonbow-Steady Breath.

I didn't think of the HP battery build.

I have a +Atk M!Morgan.  So what builds would make him even more of a nuke to OKO any units that don't have massive res?