Do you think Echoes will bridge the rift between old and new fans

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I do believe a bridge will be made and here's why: After what happened with Awakening and Fates, much of the new fanbase has decided to look back at Fire Emblem's history; playing some of the older games and wishing that those games had some of the mechanics that the newer titles had. The older fanbase, while enjoying Fates, wished it had a deeper story like some of the older titles. IS seems to be listening to what both sides want, a remake with new mechanics (minus the avatar) and a deeper story as well as (hopefully) improved gameplay. A lot is riding on Echoes to sell well and there's a lot of people fearing that it won't be as popular as Awakening and Fates, but given that most of the newer fanbase has, hopefully, read up on Gaiden and seen what it's about, as well as the new information and are still hyped for this game, I don't think it'll be a problem (because we FE4 fanatics want to watch the Belhalla barbeque redone).

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Considering Old fans themselvesĀ are divided heavily on Gaiden, no.

I came in here just to say this.

Although, I think both new and old fans shat on SD, and to me and a lot of other grizzled fans (who like, owned these games in physical form and didn't just emulate them - and yes I'm talking about 1-6) SD was pretty damn refreshing. It simplified a series gone too complex, and I have high hope for this game.

But, it isn't over-complex like Jugdral or Tellius' 6 ways to sunday biorhythm, so it was seen as a casual 'step down'. I fear Echoes will be seen the same way.

Hard to say since Gaiden is either well liked or hated by the fanbase. Echoes might change that, but I'm not sure if those who dislike Gaiden will give Echoes a chance.

1 minute ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I came in here just to say this.

Although, I think both new and old fans shat on SD, and to me and a lot of other grizzled fans (who like, owned these games in physical form and didn't just emulate them - and yes I'm talking about 1-6) SD was pretty damn refreshing. It simplified a series gone too complex, and I have high hope for this game.

But, it isn't over-complex like Jugdral or Tellius' 6 ways to sunday biorhythm, so it was seen as a casual 'step down'. I fear Echoes will be seen the same way.

While Shadow Dragon is my least favorite game in the series, I don't hate it. It was honestly the first game that I got close to finishing (until Awakening) when I was younger. My biggest dislike with Shadow Dragon was the "you have to kill off so many characters to get these other characters" mechanic.

Edited by KazeNinja17

I believe that it might bring newer fans like myself into the older games, though I speak as a fan who is far more engrossed in the series than probably a lot of other newĀ fans are.Ā  But the irony is that even though the game is staying fairly true to Gaiden, I'm not sure if it'll sit well with older fans. Ā Gaiden, from what I can tell, is considered a black sheep of the series due to its unique gimmicks. Ā And it looks like at least some of those gimmicks will remain, so I'm sure Echoes will be just as much a mixed bag for vets as Gaiden is.

So what I'm basically saying is I think there'll be a bridge, but it's a one-way bridge for the most part.

3 minutes ago, KazeNinja17 said:

Hard to say since Gaiden is either well liked or hated by the fanbase. Echoes might change that, but I'm not sure if those who dislike Gaiden will give Echoes a chance.

While Shadow Dragon is my least favorite game in the series, I don't hate it. It was honestly the first game that I got close to finishing (until Awakening) when I was younger. My biggest dislike with Shadow Dragon was the "you have to kill off so many characters to get these other characters" mechanic.

Actually -Ā and I don't intend to terribly sidetrack the thread with this - that was always the most overblown complaint about the game. Having played both famicom SD and super famicom book 1 in Mystery, none of the added characters did anything for me. Like, at all. They weren't in the originals, and no love lost by missing them.

I think some of the characters (Horace, Athena, Etzel) are pretty solid, but Draug, Navarre, and Merric are way way cooler. I get the most enjoyment out of SD by playing it as close to the super famicom version as I can - no re-classing, no extra items or characters. If only I could take out the weapon triangle!

But ah, I'm a strange one who wouldn't miss supports either, because I like to make my own headcannons for characters - which is a big reason I'm way more attached to the "barebones" characters of Akenia - there's just more of "me" in them.

Glad to hear opinions on this :) I hope it does but I feel like it will get Ā flak because it probably won't have supports I mean like conversation supports they might have the battle support boost but I did see a heart symbol in one of the game trailers. Ā I feel sad there no avatar since I want to marry Mae but I heard her and boye have a thing anyways. ?

Edited by mikethepokemaster

For me, the one thing I hope from Echoes - Shadows of Valentia is that it provides some character development to the characters. Compared to other entries in the series, it doesn't have a giant cast of characters, so character development, or at least some fleshing out of the characters, would make Echoes more enjoyable. I've never been a fan of flat/one dimensional characters.

I came in when the series was at its highest point of popularity. Yes, the GBA era. I see no common ground with new fans.

For real though, I feel like this game is just too low budget to cater to everybody. Getting one of the forbidden 6 games internationally in some format is already reason to celebrate if you ask me. And FE Switch is where I'm looking for franchise progression. I don't care for Gaiden, but getting Gaiden on 3DS hardware where I can fasttrack all the slow gameplay already addresses several of my issues. Crappy systems like 60 avoid on gravestones is something I'll live with if it feels like somebody playtested these maps. And Alm's inner monologue when entering the crypt has got my hopes up for a surprisingly good story.

I personally know people who loved Awakening and liked Fates, but are hesitant to pick up Echoes because they know it's really different from the newer games. Hopefully I can convince them otherwise someday, but there are definitely some new fans who turn away just because it's not what got them into the series.

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I personally know people who loved Awakening and liked Fates, but are hesitant to pick up Echoes because they know it's really different from the newer games. Hopefully I can convince them otherwise someday, but there are definitely some new fans who turn away just because it's not what got them into the series.

One of my closest friends who got into the series with Awakening in 2015 said she wants to play the game primarily because she really likes Hidari's artstyle and that it's refreshing to her. She just isn't able to get it on launch due to not being able to afford it.

19 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I believe that it might bring newer fans like myself into the older games, though I speak as a fan who is far more engrossed in the series than probably a lot of other newĀ fans are.Ā  But the irony is that even though the game is staying fairly true to Gaiden, I'm not sure if it'll sit well with older fans. Ā Gaiden, from what I can tell, is considered a black sheep of the series due to its unique gimmicks. Ā And it looks like at least some of those gimmicks will remain, so I'm sure Echoes will be just as much a mixed bag for vets as Gaiden is.

So what I'm basically saying is I think there'll be a bridge, but it's a one-way bridge for the most part.

A good chunk of the divide is how simple the map design is, which is also a hugely contested point for many in terms of Awakening as well. In terms of the more gameplay purists.

Edited by Jedi

I would love for something to help bridge the gap between the FE vets and newcomers, however, I think that it is a little bit overly optimistic to think that it could be done with SOV.

People will always find the dumbest reasons to complain or argue I doubt one game is going to stop that. The only thing that would truly end it is if people woke up and realized both the old and the new games have good and bad things about them anyway.

I don't think so.Ā  Sure, it's a great way to introduce people to Gaiden.Ā  However, I expect to see complaints about everything ranging from the colors to the design changes to the fact that it's on the 3DS from the vets, and complaints about missing features from Awakening/Fates from the newcomers.

For the rest of us, I think we'll have fun with it~!

3 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I don't think so.Ā  Sure, it's a great way to introduce people to Gaiden.Ā  However, I expect to see complaints about everything ranging from the colors to the design changes to the fact that it's on the 3DS from the vets, and complaints about missing features from Awakening/Fates from the newcomers.

For the rest of us, I think we'll have fun with it~!

Heck, I'll take the mechanics of Gaiden with a face lift if it means I'll get the chance to legitimately play the Gaiden story. I was happy getting to play Shadow Dragon despite how frustrating that game could be at times. In the end, I'm just glad we're getting more Fire Emblem games.

Short answer: No.

Long Answer: Nooooooooo.

The Answer I want to give: HAHAHAHAHAHA! No.

Ā 

The Fire Emblem fandom, as severely fractured as it is coming together to agree on something? The heat death of the universe will happen first.

Edited by Commander Xelon

12 minutes ago, Metis said:

Knowing the FE fandom, I see a Judrgal, Elibe, or Tellius remake as more up to this task than GaidenĀ 

I highly doubt that either, the FE fanbase has been divided from near inception. Theres far too many divides for one game to satisfy everyone.

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I highly doubt that either, the FE fanbase has been divided from near inception. Theres far too many divides for one game to satisfy everyone.

THANK YOU! Maybe they'll listen to what I've been saying for years now that you're saying it.

Edited by Commander Xelon

4 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Sadly, as with anything, regardless of the entry that gets remade, it won't satisfy everyone. There will always be at least one point of complaint in the series.

Probably not. Both sides have their problems that will just continue festering and will not be resolved, just like any splits in fandom.Ā 

The worst membersĀ of the Purists/Old fansĀ hate everything new. For the most part they are the hipsters of the FE fandom, and would have rather seen Fire Emblem die than Awakening ever see the light of day. There is no pleasing that. A literal bit for bit remake of Holy War wouldn't please them. They will always find something to complain about.Ā 

They complain about every new feature, without looks at the flaws of their own beloved games.

The worst parts of the newcomers/casual crowd are completely unwilling to try the older games. To put things short, this is your waifu, weeb, plays just for the dating mechanics and cute anime girls crowd. They aren't willing to try the older games. No avatars, no dating mechanics, older anime style. These are the type that won't be satisfied unless Fire Emblem reverts to a medieval dating simulator.Ā 

Ā 

TheĀ rest of us will be fine. We will be fine knowing Fire Emblem has not died, and is now doing better than ever with no end in sight soon.Ā 

So no, Shadows of Valentina won't bridge the gap. The purists wouldn't be happy unless this thing was released with 8 bit graphics on the Atari, and the weebs aren't happy because they can't date their new wiafus.Ā 

1 minute ago, Tolvir said:

So no, Shadows of Valentina won't bridge the gap. The purists wouldn't be happy unless this thing was released with 8 bit graphics on the Atari, and the weebs aren't happy because they can't date their new wiafus.Ā 

Correction the purists won't be happy if the Map design isn't changed to be more tactical.

41 minutes ago, eclipse said:

and complaints about missing features from Awakening/Fates from the newcomers.

Stuff that people said already...

And I was really surprised but those newcomers that actually exist that were complaining about the lack of an MU/avatar and marriage the way Awakening/Fates.