Do you think Echoes will bridge the rift between old and new fans

I don't see this game serving as a bridge to makes fans less divisive, "the ideal Fire Emblem title" it's a very hard concept to conceal and Echoes really looks as a good game but  i don't see it showing that nearly unreachable ideals being executed. But i really think that it's gonna get people together... to complain about it.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

LOL no. Most fans of the older games hate Shadow Dragon and they'll hate this game just as much.

I wouldn't say they hate Shadow Dragon. While I'm not Shadow Dragon's biggest fan as it's my least favorite Fire Emblem game, I wouldn't say that I hate the game.

54 minutes ago, FoxyGrandpa said:

LOL no. Most fans of the older games hate Shadow Dragon and they'll hate this game just as much.

Eh, a lot of people have turned around on Shadow Dragon.

Just now, Dragonage2ftw said:

Of course they have.

It's part of the "game hate" cycle.

Game hate cycle I haven't heard of it but it does seem like every new game get hate he GBA fire emblem got it from the nes-snes and now the 3ds get it from the GBA and POR-RD crowd. But everything new get some hate.

I think it could. As a new fan myself, and after playing the older games, I think this game really could bring in the best of both worlds. Everyone could find something they enjoyed from the old or new games.

Trying to bring the new & old fans at this point I feel is a lost cause to be honest. All I see happening is that the people who will love this game are just going to bash the other new games even more and the people who will hate this game will just continue the cycle of over complaining about the littlest of shits.

8 hours ago, mikethepokemaster said:

Game hate cycle I haven't heard of it but it does seem like every new game get hate he GBA fire emblem got it from the nes-snes and now the 3ds get it from the GBA and POR-RD crowd. But everything new get some hate.

I remember Sacred Stones getting lot of backlash at the time, for being too easy, and for being too close to Gaiden (the presence of the map, and of monsters mainly.)

So it's definitely nothing new. SD's reception was particularily bad IIRC, but this is definitely nothing new.

2 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

I remember Sacred Stones getting lot of backlash at the time, for being too easy, and for being too close to Gaiden (the presence of the map, and of monsters mainly.)

So it's definitely nothing new. SD's reception was particularily bad IIRC, but this is definitely nothing new.

Still sold better than both Tellius games combined (if not combined then both indivdually, not saying Sales = Quality because thats a hilariously bad assumption) and was wider known, so it succeeded in that regard. Thus why the "backlash" would be bigger because more people played it, theres quite a few people who do like SD and have gotten into the series thanks to it. 

But said backlash is probably why we didn't get New Mystery which is a shame. 

13 minutes ago, Tamanoir said:

Really? I wonder how Echoes reception will b good reviews but probably  points off because no pair up possible no supports or avatar. Plus points off for being a remake, remember IGN to much water.

It's more a bridge to brandnew players as we have a neat promotion with heroes. I've also read a thousand YT comments from people who consider to get into FE with this upcoming title. I mean why wouldn't they - its a visually very good looking RPG 

Edited by fOrEiGn sOUl

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

Still sold better than both Tellius games combined (if not combined then both indivdually, not saying Sales = Quality because thats a hilariously bad assumption) and was wider known, so it succeeded in that regard. Thus why the "backlash" would be bigger because more people played it, theres quite a few people who do like SD and have gotten into the series thanks to it. 

But said backlash is probably why we didn't get New Mystery which is a shame. 

Actually, it was likely due to NME coming out right before the 3DS and not being Pokemon-- the localization effort was probably considered pointless and would take away from the 3DS' momentum.

15 hours ago, mikethepokemaster said:

The game hate cycle is very simple:

If a new game comes out for a beloved franchise, it's instantly met with hatred and disgust. It's shit upon, it's flaws are dramatized, and its made out to be an abomination.

Now. A few years pass. Another new title is released.

Suddenly, the game that was hated becomes a beloved treasure! It's now considered a gem, and that the hate was taken too far. The new game is now shit on, and compared to the older game, and people act like the older game was fine all along.

Lather, rinse, repeat. 

Sources Cited Page:

The Zelda fanbase right now.

The Fire Emblem fanbase when Fates was released and Awakening become a beloved game.

The Star Wars fanbase when the Force Awakens was released.

2 minutes ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

If a new game comes out for a beloved franchise, it's instantly met with hatred and disgust. It's shit upon, it's flaws are dramatized, and its made out to be an abomination.

Suddenly, the game that was hated becomes a beloved treasure! It's now considered a gem, and that the hate was taken too far. The new game is now shit on, and compared to the older game, and people act like the older game was fine all along.

Lather, rinse, repeat. 

Sources Cited Page:

The Fire Emblem fanbase when Fates was released and Awakening become a beloved game.

Honestly you're making the Zelda cycle into a world wide thing and I haven't seen it with most of those things, Fate maybe but that was more backlash against the story, most people adore the gameplay, especially Conquests, veterans in particular find it to be one of the best FE experiences.

Just now, Jedi said:

Honestly you're making the Zelda cycle into a world wide thing and I haven't seen it with most of those things, Fate maybe but that was more backlash against the story, most people adore the gameplay, especially Conquests, veterans in particular find it to be one of the best FE experiences.

Not only that, I can guarantee you that the people who love Breath of the Wild are waaaay to busy playing that monstrosity of a game to complain about it ;p

Hates gonna hate. SD is awesome, and Echoes is even better.

Just now, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Not only that, I can guarantee you that the people who love Breath of the Wild are waaaay to busy playing that monstrosity of a game to complain about it ;p

Hates gonna hate. SD is awesome, and Echoes is even better.

Not to mention that us Star Wars fans, to use his Force Awakens example, are quite glad with how it turned out considering Episodes 1, 2 were terrible (they do have some good moments but bleh), and that Episode 3 was merely passable.

7 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Not to mention that us Star Wars fans, to use his Force Awakens example, are quite glad with how it turned out considering Episodes 1, 2 were terrible (they do have some good moments but bleh), and that Episode 3 was merely passable.

Dude.

There are a lot of people that are starting to defend the prequels, now that TFA is out.

It's SICKENING.

15 hours ago, I'm a Spheal said:

Trying to bring the new & old fans at this point I feel is a lost cause to be honest. All I see happening is that the people who will love this game are just going to bash the other new games even more and the people who will hate this game will just continue the cycle of over complaining about the littlest of shits.

Im really loving how Echoes looks and plays but i really feel that is useless to look with blind optimism about a completely positive fan reception.

I think Echoes could be REALLY divisive, especially considering IS is planning on making a super faithful remake. The issue is that Gaiden was very unique for a Fire Emblem. The only Fire emblem that has strayed further from the formula was Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and that barely counts as a Fire Emblem in the first place.

Because Gaiden, and therefore Echoes is such a departure from the main games, I fear the fanbase may split into three. You'd have the FE 3-12 fans who don't want their gameplay touched, and would still reject Echoes. You'd also have the Awakening fans, who would NOT be happy that most of the Awakening/Fates features got removed. Finally, you'd have the Echoes fans, who would join the flame war as an entirely separate faction.

Now, that being said, a three-way clusterfuck does tend to end more peacefully than a two-way duel, as everyone would have a second favorite to fall back on, meaning we won't defend their side as heavily as we would with only one alternative.

4 minutes ago, The_antithesis said:

Because Gaiden, and therefore Echoes is such a departure from the main games, I fear the fanbase may split into three. You'd have the FE 3-12 fans who don't want their gameplay touched, and would still reject Echoes. You'd also have the Awakening fans, who would NOT be happy that most of the Awakening/Fates features got removed. Finally, you'd have the Echoes fans, who would join the flame war as an entirely separate faction.

Haha, and then there will be everyone else, glancing over from the sidelines sipping their tea while holding their 3DS in their hands playing Echoes and actually enjoying themselves.

Okay but honestly, even though I've never played Gaiden before or any of the actual NES/SNES titles, I'm still super stoked for Echoes. After researching Gaiden's features 'n functions and looking at Echoes and how it's seemingly staying very faithful, I'm totally down with trying this system out. I think it looks very fun and I'll most definitely be enjoying it when the game comes out.

Honestly, I think that only about 10% of the fire emblem community is polarized on one side. I think that they are a minority that is not even super vocal nowadays. We just need to be careful not to fall into the same trap as them due to our preferences.

8 minutes ago, SuperIb said:

Haha, and then there will be everyone else, glancing over from the sidelines sipping their tea while holding their 3DS in their hands playing Echoes and actually enjoying themselves.

Okay but honestly, even though I've never played Gaiden before or any of the actual NES/SNES titles, I'm still super stoked for Echoes. After researching Gaiden's features 'n functions and looking at Echoes and how it's seemingly staying very faithful, I'm totally down with trying this system out. I think it looks very fun and I'll most definitely be enjoying it when the game comes out.

Yes. There are always the true fans who enjoy the content for what it is. The fanbase can hate for as long as they like, so long as we get to enjoy some good gaming experiences.

5 hours ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

Lather, rinse, repeat. 

Sources Cited Page:

Just stop. This is a logical fallacy, especially with Awakening and Fates-- most everybody outside of a select few on your usual haunt of Gamefaqs who dislikes Awakening likes Fates a lot more than it because of the gameplay. Many of the people criticizing Fates are those who got brought in by Awakening.

You're talking minuscule percentages of percentages here.

3 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Just stop. This is a logical fallacy, especially with Awakening and Fates-- most everybody outside of a select few on your usual haunt of Gamefaqs who dislikes Awakening likes Fates a lot more than it because of the gameplay. Many of the people criticizing Fates are those who got brought in by Awakening.

You're talking minuscule percentages of percentages here.

eh i think there some truth to it. every new game of whatever franchise gets judge with either hate or praise the new sonic is getting backlash and praise for it game play.