Who should I choose, Harken or Karel?

Flee Fleet!

I'm on Chapter 25, Jerme's map.

Who do you guys suggest I should recruit? Harken or Karel? They both seem cool characters, especially Karel. 

I'm thinking about going for Harken, as I heard he's better, but I wouldn't mind another Sword master either.

Harken is better overall, and has a really good enemy phase with hand axes, Karel overkill crits things and personality wise is kind of like a more sadistic Batosai Kenshin (then again I'm not sure if you've read Rurouni Kenshin).

But generally Harken has the better stats and utility. However in the end it is your choice & preference.

Edited by Jedi

It's easier to get Harken than Karel on Jerme's map, anyway.

For future reference, if you really want to use Karel, I'd suggest using your spellcasters more so that you go to Kenneth's map, since it's easier to recruit Karel than Harken on Kenneth's map.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 10:46 PM, Paper Jam said:

It's easier to get Harken than Karel on Jerme's map, anyway.

For future reference, if you really want to use Karel, I'd suggest using your spellcasters more so that you go to Kenneth's map, since it's easier to recruit Karel than Harken on Kenneth's map.

Yeah, I checked that out. Getting Karel in Jerme's doesn't seem too hard either. One flier goes to north to open a door with a key, whereas the others open the other doors. I had already opened 2 doors before turn 9 anyways so...

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:15 PM, TheAstraWolf said:

This comes up as a question of wheter you prefer Heroes or Swordmasters. Or otherwise, who is better so far for you, Raven or Guy?

There's your answer

Both Raven and Guy are promoted and extremely good, especially Raven.

In the end, I went with Harken. I also think his Brave Sword would be more preferable to Wo Dao that Karel has.

I don't get why people prefer Harken over Karel honestly when you consider that the game can be beaten without even using either one.

Yes I get that Harken is better because of Brave Sword and stats alone but since the game is fairly easy(if you know what to do) then you can pick who you want.

24 minutes ago, Harvey said:

I don't get why people prefer Harken over Karel honestly when you consider that the game can be beaten without even using either one.

Harken has 1-2 range, thats a big part of it.

3 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Harken has 1-2 range, thats a big part of it.

And enough speed to double, more con to wield heavier weapons than Karel (like armorslayer, blades or even brave weapons), a better support list-- with one character on Karel's list being impossible in some modes, and another one can be missed depending on which route you go on, and hard mode bonuses. To be honest, there really isn't much of a reason to get Karel over Harken assuming you plan on using both unless you really like swordmasters, or Wo Dao. Storywise, even if he isn't a main character, he still has more ties to the main plot as well. 

3 hours ago, Harvey said:

Yes I get that Harken is better because of Brave Sword and stats alone but since the game is fairly easy(if you know what to do) then you can pick who you want.

Eh, I just rather have units who work more well than the other, in my opinion.

Although, during Hector mode, I think I'll go for Karel, since I already went with Harken.

Harken is better stat and utility-wise, but Karel is pretty good too and for some reason has the highest resistance growth rate out of everyone in the entire series. I like Karel's personality more. He's more interesting and mysterious IMO.

2 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

for some reason has the highest resistance growth rate out of everyone in the entire series.

Just looked, and no that's not the case in FE7, his growths are somewhat low for resistance (hell, he has the worst defensive growths in FE7). In FE6, he has the highest growths in the series though and a 100 Res growth.

14 hours ago, Dayni said:

Just looked, and no that's not the case in FE7, his growths are somewhat low for resistance (hell, he has the worst defensive growths in FE7). In FE6, he has the highest growths in the series though and a 100 Res growth.

Yeah, he has insane growths in FE6 (but only gets to have one level up...). His growths are a lot lower in FE7.

On 3/29/2017 at 5:16 PM, Dayni said:

Got his growths in Binding Blade and Blazing Blade mixed up. Whoops.

• 2 weeks later...

Harken because hard mode bonuses are infinitely better and considering Harken comes with a few points away from capping Strength anyways, he generally has more raw damage output. The range and utility of another Hero is a big selling factor for me. It's a shame because Karel is so much more cooler rather than the "oh woe is me" personality that Harken has but neither of them are unusable so it's up to preference. Wish we could have gotten both in the vanilla game, the dream!