Weapon weight

9 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

No - you don't want mages casting 3-4 hp spells willy nilly on return - especially since they can always take 1 damage.

I take it to mean chanting time. Fire is quick, basic and easy, while something like excalibur requires a lot of  time to prep in comparison. The "weight" of the spell does exactly what "chant time" would have intended - reduced attack speed on the more powerful spells (and remember, 1 speed over is a double attack).

Oh, I keep forgetting about HP cost. You're right, then. As for the "chant time", it makes sense, I guess (I like your interpretation, hadn't thought about that).

46 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I take it to mean chanting time. Fire is quick, basic and easy, while something like excalibur requires a lot of  time to prep in comparison. The "weight" of the spell does exactly what "chant time" would have intended - reduced attack speed on the more powerful spells (and remember, 1 speed over is a double attack).

...huh. I suppose that would explain why magic tomes are unaffected by CON in Thracia. You may be on to something there.

Bless. I'm totally okay with Weight being back in. I prefer having it, anyways.

Glad to see this weapon system seems like it's going to be much better than Fates' awful one. (imo)

In my opinion, it all depends on how they are structuring this system. In most games that include a weapon weight system the unit's constitution which would normally only ever change when promoting a unit or using a special item i.e. a body ring. But the Tellius series introduced a system that used a unit's strength in order to calculate the attack speed.

Using the constitution based system most light-weight targets were doomed to forever use weaker weapons or suffer the attack speed penalties. But in the strength based system, most mages suffered penalties due to mostly non-existent strength growths.

It looks like they will be using a system on par with the strength-based system due to the lack of any evident unit weight/constitution stat. I've included an image that supports this belief.

217389_screenshot_04_l.jpg

19 minutes ago, FigurativelyDeadBooty said:

It looks like they will be using a system on par with the strength-based system due to the lack of any evident unit weight/constitution stat. I've included an image that supports this belief.

I doubt it, to say the least - there's no Str stat in that screenshot, only ATK. I'm more inclined to believe that they're using the same weight system the series first used.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

15 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

While it was impractical, the weapons that it could produce were incredibly broken, a +7 silver yumi has a might of 27 which beats the pursuer by 5 and to top that can be used by anyone who can use bows.

Still can't figure out the logic behind putting two bows together to make a better one though.

Subaki's pike *shive* I casually have it +3 with my birthright run which mean 20 might if you have higher skill(all the hoshidan spear user have high skill) plus it's just a D rank. Silver naginata +3 have just 19 B rank with a malus.

No logic, just balance purpose. Though it is still unbalanced.

I like the idea of weight as chant time. Aside there still nothing sure about weapon will have weight.

2 hours ago, SpearOfLies said:

Aside there still nothing sure about weapon will have weight.

There is. Weight is shown among other weapon stats in PAX footage.

Edited by Pikappa93

I don't mind weight and the thing about tomes technically taking "chant time" that slows units down is brilliant.

I did hate the CON-Weight system in the GBA games though. I don't mind it in FE5/9/10 since in those games the stat that lessens the impact of weight can go up and a character isn't forever screwed by it.

I also don't mind it in the way Gaiden is doing it with how the penalty is equal for everyone. 

3 hours ago, SpearOfLies said:

Subaki's pike *shive* I casually have it +3 with my birthright run which mean 20 might if you have higher skill(all the hoshidan spear user have high skill) plus it's just a D rank. Silver naginata +3 have just 19 B rank with a malus.

No logic, just balance purpose. Though it is still unbalanced.

Speaking of, forging special weapons, like the aforementioned Subaki's Pike, requires you to luck out repeatedly since they can only be obtained through either interacting with party members or Museum Melee, which is bullshit. And this is ignoring that the forge system practically requires you to interact with other castles since you only get one resource (two if you're playing Revelations). Also, I dunno exactly what you mean by "malus", but I assume it means a negative effect.

Honestly, I'd say the forge system in Fates wasn't unbalanced so much as it was unusable.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I'm glad that weapon weight is back, because it's one of those things that added more strategical elements to the series. I mean how Fates handled it is also alright, but I still prefer the weight mechanic. Glad to see that it's back.