How Would You Have Ended It?

Into Oblivion

I was just gabbing with some folks on FanFiction, and the topic came up with the way Revelation ended, since most consider it the canon ending (personally, I hold Birthright myself, but that's beside the point). Anyway, the conversation turned to what might have made the ending better. I was just curious if anyone had their own ideas.

Myself, I think Corrin should have died to defeat Anankos, like with his last breath, he kills Corrin. Reason being is the name of the game is Fates, and the basic concept of fate is inevitability. Think about it - in both Birthright and Conquest, Corrin brings peace but at great personal cost. So, I thought it would have tied it together better to still force him to pay a price to achieve victory, except this time the cost would have been his own life (and have him stay dead too, not like what they did with Robin), and everything that happens, peace between Hoshido and Nohr and the reestablishment of Valla, happens in his memory.

Not sure if this was ever discussed before, but anyway, how would you have ended it? And yes, I am prepared for a lot of silly answers.

Have the portal close shortly before everyone jumps off of the bridge. :P:

On a slightly more serious note, have Corrin stay behind in Valla, the land of the dead, to ensure that everyone else makes it back (even Azura).  He/she will keep watch over it, so that none of the horrors within Valla touch the surface world. From his/her memory, peace is established, and Corrin's name is passed on through legend.

I seriously probably would've ended it the same, except Corrin doesn't become ruler of Valla (and neither does Azura because there's no living Vallites to rule over that we know of), and Corrin finds out that Lilith is their sister and Anankos their father. Playing that DLC to have the dramatic irony forced upon the player made me upset.

6 hours ago, TheFreelancerSeal said:

Myself, I think Corrin should have died to defeat Anankos, like with his last breath, he kills Corrin. Reason being is the name of the game is Fates, and the basic concept of fate is inevitability. 

I realize this is a different game entirely, but this message wouldn't really make much sense considering one of Awakening's theme was that fate was not an inevitability.

Anyway, I would have all of Valla disappear alongside Anankos - maybe he was too tied to the land and his power festered in every nook and cranny of it. Corrin and company escape, they talk about the fate of that world and how they're going to make sure to work together so that something like that can never happen again. They talk about Garon's fate, how the Nohrian siblings had been manipulated and what Xander in particular will do next.

They most certainly do not establish a new country out of the blue with Corrin as its leader.

I assume we're already allowed to change the very ending and not the premise, right?

The problem with the whole "creation of a new Valla thing" is that it is made of both Nohr and Hoshidan lands. But the thing between them is the Bottomless Canyon, not suitable for human existence. And if Corrin got the canyon plus a large swath of actually livable land on both sides of the canyon, we'd basically have two totally different culturally and possibly economically territories divided by a great burdensome nullity. Basically a Pakistan and Bangladesh scenario, only better in the sense we don't have an India between them. Or perhaps the Habsburg Empire is a better point of comparison. Either way, with Corrin the Naive as its ruler, I doubt said kingdom would be all that stable or prosperous in the long term.

I actually wouldn't change much assuming it's just the ending. The only difference is no Corrin being the ruler of Valla. Valla is essentially a wasteland. At best I could see them cleaning the area up and leaving it as a tribute of peace between the two kingdoms.